The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A mindset to motivate when you quit your job...

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
A lot of people on this forum, eventually quit their jobs to start their entrepreneurial journey.

I wanted to provide a unique viewpoint that I used (and still am) to motivate myself to my goals.

My catalyst in wanting to start a business was when I was laid off- it was not immediately clear that starting a business was what I wanted to do. But after some time and introspection and realizing that it would be a continual exchange of hours for dollars until my death I decided to go down this path.

At the time, I was getting unemployment payments, and instead I faked myself into believing that I had a successful business and those payments were passive income.

As @AndrewNC would say: Emotions have the ability to change your habits.

Those emotions that I felt of being free and having residual income (even though they were fake) motivate me to push for the real thing

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Are you trying to motivate us by telling us you lived on welfare for 6 months and it felt like being a successful entrepreneur?

You're a bum.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
Are you trying to motivate us by telling us you lived on welfare for 6 months and it felt like being a successful entrepreneur?

You're a bum.

Its the closest feeling I have. For me, emotions motivate, so it was those emotions that I felt of not having to grind my life away for those 6 months but still being paid. If you know what I mean.

But hey... I got back what I paid into it.

I think it takes a certain mindset of "Im tired of this shit" to take advantage of it, and to see it the way I did.

The only way Ill get back there and beyond is if I create something that solves a need and its automated... ya know?

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
How is this not a TED Talk already?!

If you'd said the pain from day 1 of getting laid off lit the fire under your a$$ to become an entrepreneur, now that would have been motivating. Instead it's the weirdest of analogies.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
How is this not a TED Talk already?!

If you'd said the pain from day 1 of getting laid off lit the fire under your a$$ to become an entrepreneur, now that would have been motivating. Instead, it's the weirdest of analogies.

A lot of people here quit their jobs anyway, so I am trying to provide a unique viewpoint.

Perhaps Ill rewrite my OP

Dylan_91

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 28, 2017
Florida
If you'd said the pain from day 1 of getting laid off lit the fire under your a$$ to become an entrepreneur, now that would have been motivating.

That's what I was expecting at least... But to each their own.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
At the time, I was getting unemployment payments, and instead I faked myself into believing that I had a successful business and those payments were passive income.

As @AndrewNC would say: Emotions have the ability to change your habits.

This is delusional.

It's fine to take unemployment payments and to use it as extra time to start a business, but to convince yourself that you're already successful is delusional and counterintuitive.

This would be the equivalent of you sleeping with a 400 pound drug addict, turning the lights off, and thinking "This is what it feels like to sleep with a super model." You can delude yourself for a little bit, but eventually the lights turn on.

In my opinion it's better to turn the lights on right away and accept exactly what you're dealing with. If you don't like it, then start working your a$$ off to get to where you want to be.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Another point:

The title of your post implies that you "quit" your job. You didn't quit. You got laid off. You're deluding yourself again to think that you had some sort of control of your current predicament. Sorry to break it to you, but you didn't. You had no control and got kicked to the curb. If you want to have control, then stop lying to yourself and take it by creating your own reality.

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US

You're a bum.
-ChLzm.gif

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

So you got the EVENT without the PROCESS.

I wouldn't recommend this to shift mindset -- it's a pathway to short-cut seeking, laziness, and one-swing-and-quit action.

It's like giving a 16 year old a Lambo for his birthday. You've just guaranteed the kid will never work for it in real life -- he got the event with no process. It's almost like giving someone the ability to lose 200 lbs without the diet or exercise.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.