The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

55% through Millionaire Fastlane - Joined the Forum

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
I have been lurking on the forum for a few weeks now. Don't quite remember how I stumbled here (I think I was researching e-commerce), but I couldn't be happier to have found you all. I had a long flight yesterday, so I took advantage of my time in the air and downloaded TMF on my phone. Well, it's now 2pm the next day and I still can't put it down! I feel as though it voices all the things I have been feeling in a way I couldn't quite put into words. I now have a grasp on these feelings, and I can categorize them and act on them.

A little backdrop for you all:

I am a 21 year old who became disenchanted with college extremely quickly, and dropped out after two years. The past two years of my life have been spent leveraging my intrinsic worth in my field, and I have worked my way into a decent, salaried, slowlane position.
Well, the same thing is happening now that happened after two years of going to college: the disenchantment arises. My work is interesting, in a field I enjoy, a little repetitive, but overall gratifying in and of itself. So why do I feel like every day is the worst day of my life? Because I create massive value for someone else, and because I am not compensated accordingly, and I have little say in changing that. The type of work that I do allows me to easily quantify my value to the company, and it is in the literal millions (essentially, the purchasing and selling of inventory). The job, however, is extremely slowlane and painfully corporate. IF the company continues to be successful and IF enough asses are kissed, I have the glorious chance at making a six figure salary in ten years time, working in the same office, working the same hours, and working with the same people. While most with no college degree would jump at that chance, it seems like a pretty dull future for me. And a lot of ifs!

So I came here to research e-commerce, as I am in search of the beautiful asset of time and freedom. I am not afraid to work hard - while going to school full time I had a full time job AND a part time job, and I rather enjoyed it! It resonates with me to divorce money from time, however, to allow myself to invest my precious time in the things that matter to me.

I have an idea now. I found a product on Alibaba with great margins, low barrier to entry, in a field that isn't all that crowded and hasn't seen much change in thirty years. I have a marketing strategy that will begin very niche, with a plan to expand from that concentrated niche via word of mouth to a related, bigger niche.

My slowlane job? It's the headwind that MJ talks about in his book. I know I need to get rid of it eventually, but at the time being it offers me a unique opportunity to not worry about bills while I work out all the kinks of my internet business. It is a drain on my time and my energy, and it kills me to feel like I am selling hours of my life for pennies on the dollar to a company that is making so much money from my work - but I will choose to stay positive and use this force for good. Instead of turning my back before I have a clear path before me to run to, I will hoist my sail and let the headwind work for me. The real enemy is complete stagnation, but with wind, no matter the direction, you can still get somewhere.

The imagery works for me, and will allow me to stay positive through this time of excitement. The impulse in me is to drop it all and throw myself 100% into this venture - the logical side of me says that my venture will be more successful if money is not my immediate motivator. If I have another source of income, I can focus on creating something that will add value, rather than something that will just make a buck.

This is all a bunch of rambling, but I'm very excited and just wanted to share where I am RIGHT NOW with everyone on here. I am prone to the "mental masturbation" that MJ talks about, and I am setting out today to stop with the lusting. My one and ONLY goal is to create my small niche brand and generate enough revenue by the end of the year to quit my slowlane job. The only mental masturbation I will indulge is the fantasy of walking into my bosses' office, shaking his hand and telling him thanks, with the knowledge that I will never be a cog in a wheel again.

Again, thank you MJ. So far, I have learned so much. Think like a producer. Value time above all else. Divorce time from income. Your book is inspiring and motivational without being "fluff".

Today I start my journey to independence. I am excited to be on the same road as all of you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
It's great that you have "GOT IT". Congratulations. Consider yourself lucky. Many read it understand it but still don't act on it. I wish you well, and I sense from your post that you will be very successful.

inkgapele

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 23, 2015
Hi guys. My name is Ignatia, currently employed but would like to own a business one day and become my own boss. I love women fashion and i am very passionate about it. I would like to open a retail store. Any ideas of where to start?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
A quick update on my progress:

After doing extensive research, I have decided to proceed as a sole proprietorship. My business has zero revenues, and the path to an LLC is ridiculously expensive in California. Additionally, I plan on moving out of state in the next year, so I would rather focus on creating my business now, and then worry about how the corporate structure is set up once it has some sort of profit. I can always restructure, especially if I'm moving.

I have also decided to do self-fulfillment. After looking into the costs of fulfillment services, they just seemed way too expensive! Before I even think about subbing any part of the business out, I need to test the viability of it first myself. Also, my product is very small and inexpensive. The margins themselves are fantastic on my product, but if I factor in fulfillment costs my margins are cut almost in half. Until I start to see volume, I'm going this the old fashioned way.

I am currently talking to a few different companies on Alibaba who will supply my product. I will get samples from my top three and decide between those. This will be my first time ever using Alibaba, and I am just a tad bit nervous as it's all very new to me. All the company reps have been very nice so far though.

Last but not least, an update on my slowlane occupation:

It becomes clearer and clearer every single day. The corporate workplace has devolved into an absolute cult. If you do not eat, sleep, and breathe the same nonsense that the other's do, you have no chance at advancing or gaining favor. There is red tape, there are rules and regulations that make no sense, and there are people inside your company that are hired to manage, yet go out of their way to make your job harder for some greater good. I could literally go on and on, but you all know it and have experienced it yourselves. All I have to say is, it is incredibly hard to fake the smile and pretend I care - but I am forced to. The corporate environment I work in is one that promotes what is essentially worship of the company and the way it does business.

The benefit of this job is that it continues to clarify that I will NEVER work for someone else again, and that it is providing me with the monetary basis to explore business ideas.

Alright, that's it for today. Thanks for reading, and if anyone wants to comment back on any of this or give any advice or pointers, feel free! I'd love to get to know all of you better.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Hi guys. My name is Ignatia, currently employed but would like to own a business one day and become my own boss. I love women fashion and i am very passionate about it. I would like to open a retail store. Any ideas of where to start?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start by making your own thread

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!