The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$400,000 Business, Need To Dissolve Business Partnership With My Brother

Mamadoo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 12, 2014
Toronto
You have more say than he does at 60%. Pay yourself every penny.. pay him 0. Simple? An employee cannot earn money when they do not work right?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It seems like the posters above have already exhausted a lot of options you may have. It'll be interesting to hear what route you decided to take it.

It's not a great situation, but I wish you the best of luck and I hope you manage to reconcile the relationship with your brother in the future.

Yea, that's be great @Dan Da Man if you could let us know how you handled this situation and what the outcome was. I'm really curious to how it all unfolds.

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
ALWAYS SETUP VESTING SCHEDULES FROM NOW ON!!!

@rcdlopez I totally agree with your Vesting Schedules, I would add a "Vesting Cliff" to that as well. So... They get zero vesting payout until they hit their cliff date (usually 1 year out). May not have helped in this situation since it was 2 years into it when this all went down, but still a good idea imo...

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Is shutting down the business an option?

Shut that bish down. Sell your share of the company to him let him be the owner of the whole business, set up a new business with a different name tell all your clients about whats going on and that you've moved to a new company and its been YOU that has been doing all the work and they should move their accounts over if they want to continue getting the services they have been used to getting.

If there is no way to sell it. Then just start a new business and let that current business burn and crash.... (tell the customers about your new business though).

I got a quote from a roofing company that did this exact thing. I had trouble trusting that he was really the good partner. In the end I went with a different company even though he had the best quote. I would worry about running into the same trust issues with your clients.

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
Dan, I'm sorry to hear of such turmoil.

I truly hope you can find a scenario with which to properly leave all parties satisfied, and not lose a brotherly bond. Although if your success continues, as I am sure it will, you may forevermore have to contend with your brothers envy and own insecurities.

Perhaps if time is on your side, educate yourself as best as possible in human psychology and negotiation. 48 Laws of power etc...an idea may spark when new concepts from such studies are internalized. Also, get a really good lawyer!

Thanks man. Appreciate your sincere words.

Blackadder

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Sep 17, 2013
The Ozark Mountains
Why?

Anyone here care to give their take on this?

Its all about control, if I own 100%...then my word is law, my opinions are the only ones that count, and my say is final.

with partners you are either the lazy one or the over worked one....and either you have to be dragged or feel like your coddling someone...

and when your liquidation event happens, whether or not to take it is your decision alone....you don't have to feel like you got cheated, or that you have to beg and pleaded with your partner to sell or not sell

if 100% of the company is yours, you are free to join in combined businesses with others as long as your primary stays yours alone.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.