The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2nd Progress Thread: Pinnacle

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
Before I begin, this progress thread is really long because I wanted to give you the full picture, be thorough, and not leave important details out. The link to my original progress thread is https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/pr...ead-pinnacle-financial-education-company.html.

My Background: One of my entrepreneurial goals has always been to develop a financial education academy (offering courses both in residence in local communities and online). I've found that the demands of this undertaking will require creative and hefty pooling of capital. By capital, I do not mean funds. I mean human and other forms of capital. Therefore, I've developed a smaller scale and more easily "bootstrappable" business to leverage my ability to fill the needs of the larger and more involved one.

I've been a writer all my life, but never published anything until 2 years ago. I don't know why. I remember making "A"s on stories I wrote for English and composition classes and how much fun it was to write something for myself when I was at home. It was always enriching to take ideas or fantasies out of my head and put them on paper. I just always kept my writings (screenplays, short and long stories, romantic poetry) to myself. For ten years I've been unlearning all of the indoctrinations of our society involved in the psychological slavery we each at one time were victims of. I self-educated the rest of the way, but it was not until a couple of years ago that I uncovered something greater that my writings could stand for. In 2009, after a year of writing and 10 years of studying, learning, processing, implementing, and making sense of the material, I actually published my first non-fiction book. To those of us who are not authors, it can be a tremendous undertaking that challenges you and pulls at you and requires such time and psychological commitment. Ultimately, anyone can write. It takes a special determination and courage to publish for the world to see.

After a week of patting myself on the back for writing and publishing a book, I then learned the process demands still more to actually get the work into peoples' hands and make a difference...Marketing.

For various reasons, some authors self-publish while others pick a publishing house and submit manuscripts. As you all know, this is where the marketing begins. Traditionally, a publishing house would or could handle all the editing, layout, cover design, marketing and distribution for an author's work. Some charged hefty fees, some did not. My manuscript was accepted by the first publishing house I applied to. It is called Tate Publishing in Mustang, Oklahoma. After acceptance, I was sent a contract to review and sign so Tate could begin processing my manuscript into a book and getting it distributed and marketed. The terms involved upfront payment of an administrative setup fee of about $3,995.00. If and when Tate successfully sold 5,000 copies of my book, I would get that fee back. Since I did not have four grand lying around and it was more than I made in a month at my full-time job, I decided right then to reject the contract and self-publish. I was determined to learn how to sell the 5,000 copies myself and make a much smaller (and doable) upfront investment in the process.

At this time I was reading the 4-Hour Work Week. Tim Ferriss opened a chapter by saying that no more that 5% of the books published every year sell more than 5,000 copies. Keep in mind, I was not the average author starting from scratch and never exposed to Fastlane-style education. My fastlane education started over 10 years ago before the Fastlane forum, before 4HWW, and before the last several volumes of the Rich Dad series. I had an edge in knowledge that most authors couldn't fathom. So before reinventing the wheel that other authors are taught to use: send a manuscript to another publisher, get rejected, rinse and repeat, get rejected, then rinse and repeat for weeks and months at a time until I finally break down and self-publish, I self-published immediately. We Fastlaners have specialized education, it was as great a time as any to use it. Even if I had gone to a publisher, in today's world, just finding a good publisher does not guarantee author success as it used to. Even with a publisher, authors still need to market their own work. It was an employee of Tate Publishing itself that made this clear to me through his book marketing blog.

I had no earthly idea that I actually had to market my book with or without a publisher, nor had any idea how to do it. Though this was only 2 years ago, and I'd been a Fastlane student for 8 years up to that point, I did not know how to infuse my enlightened perceptions and knowledge into authoring. I had to learn about my industry...in depth. I read and studied and learned why most authors struggle and do not become the best sellers we hear about or read about in the news (again with the event, not the process). I found out that most authors, through a lack of publicly available training or lack of the will to find answers, follow the same series of steps from writing to selling and get less than mediocre results unless "luck" is somehow involved. I read and studied and learned how consumers shop for books and where they look for them and why they buy certain books over others. I discovered and taught myself why some books sell in great quantity and others do not, what catches the reader's eye in a cover or first sentence of a first chapter, why people read certain genres and not others, what marketing approaches work more effectively than others. One of greatest lessons I learned, however, was that Fastlane education was not enough for what I was doing. I needed specialized industry knowledge to be coupled with it. It was when I obtained this industry knowledge that I was able to fuse it with my Fastlane knowledge and produce a solution - in the form of dedicated process/procedure - that could lead me to predictable, measurable, and scalable success as an author. I have always refused to rely on and pray for "luck". I can't live with myself accepting the idea that I cannot control (or create) my own destiny. I can't do it. I teach myself how to recognize opportunity, then teach myself how to prepare for it, then set up a meeting between them. That's what I do, that's what I was trained to do, that's what I am.

So, like MJ, I started my own publishing business using Fastlane architecture. Now, before I continue...why books and book publishing as my road?

1. Because I'm a skilled author, communicator, and speaker (not because I enjoy writing)
2. Because I've spent a decade studying, dissecting, processing, and learning the implementation of solutions to problems in the world we've been taught are unsolvable. I want to share my findings.
3. I understand it, I can process it easily, it relates to me, it can be naturally Fastlane if executed properly.

One of the most important lessons in turning the writing and selling of your own books into a business is that your book is your product. It is a tangible manifestation of your mind and should be approached with the respect of a scalable, distributable, and controllable infrastructure if you seek to share it with the world. I built a business around my ideas out of respect for my own mind and the minds of my readers.
So, here it is...

The Business/The Product(s): Rich On Your Own Terms, was once just the name of a book. Now it is a brand and a business. Most importantly, it is a state of being. I mentioned a second ago that a book is a tangible manifestation of an author's mind: their thoughts, ideas, education, or imagination. What I realized in building this business was that I actually don't sell books; I sell a state of being. MJ DeMarco sells a lifestyle. Robert Kiyosaki, Napoleon Hill, and others sells a state of mind. JK Rowling, Ann Rule, Stephen King, and others create and sell imagination. I sell, but did not create, a state of being. All I did was name it and package it in an easily deliverable and tangible format so anyone could gain easy and quick access to it. When I realized all of this, everything became clear and attainable.

I wanted this to be an Internet-based business because there was no practical or cost-effective way to implement this as a brick-and-mortar system. So I began building the business into an Internet-based publishing company. Obviously, I built a website. It started out as a blog site. I used a blog format for my site because that's why most authors do. When teaching myself about the industry, this seemed to be one of the parts of the process that resonated most with prospective readers. Authors like Seth Godin, Tony Robbins, and many others would have blogs as their website where visitors could pick up some quality information and hopefully be inspired to buy a book. So, I did the same. I used Google Blogspot for my site because I neither understood WordPress nor had the inclination to learn. (Nothing against Wordpress, this was just me). I was inclined from the beginning to take the road least traveled by fastlaners who create web businesses and not code my own site. Blogspot is a drag-and-drop builder. Thought I have a background in computer technology, it does not involved programming, nor have I ever had a passion for programming. I know enough about coding to manipulate html and css, but not create it and organize it from scratch. Blogspot, at the time, was perfect. The site looked strange to me after a short while. Having a rolling blog as the homepage, where when someone visited they were met with a post, rather than general information about what the site was about. Thought I wrote quality posts (long and short), it still did not feel right. When testing the site after learning a bit of SEO and Internet & social media marketing, I found that visitors did not hang out very long there. It was like walking into the middle of conversation you had no frame of reference for. You did not know what the conversation was about at face value and could not step outside of the box long enough to read what the box said on the outside. It was weird. Nonetheless, I added widgets using the drag-and-drop interface. One widget had a clickable picture of me that led to a short bio I had written. Another was a search widget for browsing posts and pages on the site. Two others held my Facebook and Twitter widgets (I knew well in advance to set up Facebook and Twitter accounts for my and the book, even though peers would suggest it me, I was already ahead of them). Then, of course, there was a widget with a preview of my book, its cover, its price, and a link to its purchase page. I got that book widget from Lulu.com...the original company I self-published through. It's an awesome widget! For the site navigation at the top, I had the typical "about this site/about the author" page, "resources" page for links to sites I drew my inspiration and education from and for further education, "contact us" page. Now, I'm also big into offline marketing...even for web businesses. I suck at Internet marketing. I understand, I can follow the rules and make sense of them, but have not found my touch with its implementation. So most of the books I've sold have been through offline efforts. I drove traffic to my site from Twitter, Facebook, naturally from the Fastlane forum, and offline efforts. I eventually changed my homepage up to give visitors and immediate understanding of what my site was about.
Now, my original goal was to sell 5,000 copies, or make the equivalent in revenue, meaning I had to write down and put that goal in stone. I got distracted with the slow sales progress [not knowing at the time that I needed more sales training] and decided to conceive a new revenue stream.

My new revenue model involved searching for struggling authors and developing a platform for them to reach large pools of their potential readers directly and quickly. This is why I chose CreateSpace - a subsidiary of Amazon helping authors, filmmakers, and musicians publish and distribute their work - to deliver this platform to my potential clients. In a nutshell, I would make money by publishing other authors through selling or leasing them a license of my brand. I still needed a way to sell my book in mass quantity though. What I was not realizing at the time was this revenue model was a huge distraction from my original purpose: giving the world access to the state of being explained in my book. After many poor decisions and distractions that prolonged slow progress, I scrapped my blogspot site. I switched web hosting companies from 1&1 Internet to Fatcow (because of great package deals, great control panel interface, and additional functions I did not have before). Then I used a drag-and-drop site builder called Weebly (available with a Fatcow hosting account) to build my current site. A web business is obviously vastly more than a website. So, here is what I was doing behind the scenes, using the 4-Hour Work Week for guidance:

1. Got a RingCentral account: needed a business phone number for customer inquiries and orders and voice mails. Then I plastered the number on the site.

2. Set up a Google voice phone number: This is my direct line for business contacts...joint venture partnership opportunities, fellow entrepreneurs who need to reach me directly. This keeps my personal cell phone just that: personal.

3. I've had a business domain from day one with business email addresses attached: www.royot.net, bturner@royot.net, orders@royot.net, support@royot.net, etc.

4. Branding: after turning this into a brand, I created a logo with the brand name built-in. I used wordart to take the acronym of the business name and turn it into a logo: Business name is "Rich On Your Own Terms"; acronym is ROYOT, R-O-Y-O-T. Easy to recognize, easy to type-in url, easy to use in slogans, 2 syllables, but sounds a little weird to say. The point is that you'll remember it.

5. Incorporated & secured copyrights & trademarks, secured EIN: Legal business name is ROYOT, LLC; trade name is "Rich On Your Own Terms"

6. Opened a Dropbox account:
Build a business, not a job. I need to build systems and sub-systems, I need to build processes and procedures, and controls, then I need to document all of it (through training videos, flowcharts, spreadsheets, tutuorials with screenshots, checklists - still working on all of this). Dropbox's role is to organize the documented systems of my business. I use it daily.

7. Education: Joined TaxLoopholes.com, SmartPassiveIncome.com, been a member of the Fastlane forum, buy books on Amazon...from author websites...from Barnes & Noble whenever I need a specific resource, read Maui Mastermind publications, reread 4-Hour Work Week & Rich Dad books, & self-help books, & Millionaire Fastlane . I eat, sleep, and drink this lifestyle and love every second of it.

8. Got a business mailing address (P.O. Box) because it is Internet-based...no more correspondence or packages coming to my house

9. Shopping cart software via E-Junkie (suggested by Pat Flynn of SmartPassiveIncome.com)...fantastic resource. Extremely inexpensive, effective. E-junkie Shopping Cart for selling downloads & tangible goods.

10. Set up Paypal and Google Checkout accounts.

11. Bought a SiteLock certificate to secure the site from hacks and viruses that can be delivered to visitors.

12. Bought a Geotrust certificate to secure the financial data of my customers all the way through the checkout process.

13. There's much more, but you get the idea.

As for the product itself, I calculated the cost of printing the book based on page count, black-and-white vs. color printing, type of binding, etc. Createspace and Lulu were huge helps in this. I had to calculate what books of the same characteristics sell for. On average, a book like mine retails for between $17.95 on the low end all the way up to $26.95 or sometimes more. With the size of this range, I quickly discovered that content and genre play a massive role in retail pricing on books. I priced it mid-range. Without having the middleman of a traditional publisher in my way, on top of building a business of my own, my profit margins are significantly higher than other authors. This frees up cash flow for me to invest in other areas of the business, including product improvements and special offers to customers. I've re-released the book in paperback and digital format at least 3 times this year alone from any number of improvement suggestions by readers. I want a direct relationship with my reader, so individual opinions from my buyers matter more than any other. I treat my book like I would any product: I get feedback from my customers, implement suggested improvements, and re-release it. Each re-release is an updated edition of the book and I do not charge for these. When I release future volumes, however - because this book is part of a series I'm planning - then there is a charge. I can do this because of control. For example, when you buy your copy of my paperback book, the digital copy is included for free and available for immediate download following purchase. I am able to do this because of control. When you purchase either one of my books (I published a second one), you receive credit toward free gasoline or free groceries. I am able to do this because of leverage: fewer middlemen delivers higher profit margins and more cash flow to leverage into special offers such as these. [By the way, I love the fastlane.] I have Kindle versions of my books for sale, which are watered down, and general availability on Amazon. I control the distribution and love it. Most sales come from my site because of the high incentives customers get from buying directly from my publishing business. I credit Kindle purchases to the purchase of full versions of my books on the website.

All-in-all, I'm at the point in my fastlane journey where the focus is to generate sales, automate, and recruit. :hurray:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
UPDATE:
First, here is the link to my very first progress thread on the Fastlane Forum.

It's been years since I've posted. I've been a member of the Fastlane Forum for over 10 years. I remember the early days when it was "The Fastlane to Millions" and before that when the core group was over on the Richdad.com forums.

Anyway, the book didn't work out. I tried and successfully pushed sales to family and friends, but what was lacking was credibility. I had yet to build a million-dollar company, I wasn't wealthy, and was not in a position to stand in authority of the things I talked about in my book.

In the years since self-publishing, I've gone through a few different full-time jobs while maintaining a side hustle. The problem was shiny object syndrome. I was unable to finish the projects that I started because I would just chase the next money-making opportunity that looked "easier" and "faster".

One of my full-time jobs in 2017 was in IT operations at a global company that built slot machines for casinos as well as the software that ran them. They also worked with state lotteries to digitize their accounting and financial reporting from all the people who bought lottery tickets each day. The State of Oklahoma - where I currently reside - makes a minimum of 6-figures daily from lottery ticket sales.

It was me and one other person working graveyard. We had a nightly checklist we ran through, and audited each other and ourselves as we completed it. If I completed a checklist task, she would check my work and initial it, and vice versa. This experience, little did I know at the time, laid the foundation for what I am doing now and have been doing since.

What I'm doing now:

I started another side business at that time selling hair extensions on the Internet. When I realized I did not know much about the market, I decided to write blog posts telling people what I did know.

As I did my research and wrote my blog posts I realized how time-consuming it was. I realized I did not have time to keep writing blog posts because it kept me from calling suppliers, and building the website, and marketing the business. So, I took advantage of my IT and light project management backgrounds and asked myself "How do I want my blog posts to be written?"

I then wrote out the steps on paper.

Step 1: I want this number of words
Step 2: I want this number of paragraphs
Step 3: I wanted it to be about this topic

The mentors, coaches, and influencers I followed taught me that every entrepreneur should outsource or delegate if they want to build a business instead of a job. So, I hired a virtual assistant on Facebook, sent them my step by step guide and basically said "here is what I need done and here is how to do it." Seven days later, $50 later, and 180 hours of freed up time later, my blog post was written without me having to lift a finger to do it myself.

I had just gotten my time back so I could focus on other areas of the business in which I was more productive. I had successfully produced more while working less. I had done this by writing a standard operating procedure for how I wrote blog posts and then shared that document with someone else.

I then asked myself "what if I did this exact same thing for other businesses?" This is when my current business was born! Since that time, I would get a client here and a client there, and a beta tester here and a beta tester there.

One client approached me and said, “Can you write procedures off of videos?
I told them I didn't see why not. So, I put on a headset, watched the first video on my computer, and transcribed it into a written operating procedure. Now, our business model was born.

When I look back on this journey, I realized I had done something that I had not done in 12 years as an entrepreneur. I started my "business on the side" with help. I wrote down what I do, and gave that document to someone else so they could do it in my place. That someone was a nurse from the Philippines who became a virtual assistant so she could make extra income. She made over two-thousand dollars in her currency from the $50 USD that I sent her via Paypal. I had just created a job for someone else.

Each week, I would send a Facebook message requesting an article on the topic of my choice, set the due date for a week from that day, and my virtual assistant would get to work already knowing exactly how to write the article because I had the forethought to document my process rather than simply tell it to her.

Gone was the back-and-forth that typically comes with miscommunication. Gone was the possibility of me forgetting a detail and blaming her when it was not acted on. Gone was the extra hat I was wearing by trying to write articles, AND build a website, AND phone suppliers, AND watch YouTube videos to learn more about my industry, AND, AND, AND.

This is why entrepreneurs create jobs. This is HOW entrepreneurs create jobs. This is how you get your time back. This is also the missing link we small business owners have needed all these years from the gurus who tell us we need to outsource and the politicians who fight over which party created the most jobs. The public sector does not create jobs (because public funds are primarily made available from tax money - which comes from the private sector). You cannot outsource or delegate without writing down, handing over, and letting go of some of the extra tasks you do by yourself from day-to-day.

You, Mrs. or Mr. Entrepreneur, create the jobs in this country...not the corporation you work for during the day or the ones we fill out applications for when our business ideas don't work out.

Now, what do I mean by jobs?

Today's economy is not our parent's economy. It is certainly not our grandparent's economy. There are college degree programs teaching skills that are obsolete in today's marketplace or will become obsolete in the next 10 years. There are scores of underemployed or unemployed professionals. There are those slaving away in their full-time jobs who may live paycheck-to-paycheck but have no work-life balance. There are those who have to take on multiple jobs or hop around odd jobs to make ends meet. And then, there are small business owners and entrepreneurs. We were the ones facing these same realities and decided - via one catalyst or another - to genuinely take matters into our own hands. We are a breed of human being who regardless of race, class, IQ level, or background, decided we have no choice but to succeed. We also are ones who often get upset about or even complain about the state of the American economy but feel too small or too helpless or too "I'm-just-one-person" to make the difference.

When people need to feed their family, they think they need a job. When people get up in the morning, they go to a job. When people need to supplement their income, they think of second or third jobs rather than second or third income streams. The reason we need jobs is because we need income. It is not the jobs, themselves, through which Americans seek their security: it is the income the jobs provide that makes the true difference in our lives whether we love and take pride in our place of work or not. Fortunately, we live in the Information Age – thanks in large part to the Internet – and income now exists in multiple forms.

You can make an income by:
• managing someone else’s email
• onboarding someone’s clients
• handling someone’s customer service
• writing someone’s blog posts
• filming someone’s event
• organizing someone’s event
• doing someone’s bookkeeping
• being someone’s Geek Squad
• doing someone’s marketing
• performing someone’s data entry
• managing someone’s calendar
• making someone’s sales
• finding someone’s talent
• building someone’s software
• being someone’s voice talent
• running comps on someone’s houses
• finding someone’s houses
• showing someone’s houses
• etc…

[All things that can be delegated once procedures are written for them]

The greatest commodity in today’s Information Age and today’s economy is…SKILLS. It’s not what you know, but what YOU CAN DO FOR WHOM that matters. Be someone’s solution, find and send someone’s solution, or create someone’s solution, and you will never go hungry again. Don’t know anyone? Network. Step outside of your comfort zone long enough to establish a new one and start hanging out where your future clients, friends, business partners, and income opportunities hang out.

Enough of that soapbox.

In short, my company write operating procedures for other businesses so people can duplicate themselves, delegate tasks to others, produce more by working less, and build a business that can run without them.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
UPDATE:

2020 has been a great year of consolidation, systemization, and growth.

I created my business in March 2017. We write operating procedures for small businesses so they become duplicatable and scalable.

Between then and now, I've joined and completed my first mastermind, been a guest on 10 podcasts, grown our customer base, created and documented my own systems, built a team, and set up a 1-page website with live chat where people can learn about and order our service.

It is not where I want it to be in terms of revenue and profits yet, but over 70% of the business runs without me due to my commitment to go from solopreneur to entrepreneur. That shift has meant the world in terms of getting my time back and being able to add life after subtracting work.

Now, I focus on getting us in front of the people who have bottlenecks in their business, knowledge gaps between team members, and simply need their time back.

What helped get me here was writing a procedure for writing procedures. This not only allowed me to hire others to do it in my place, but publish this process so customers can see it before using our service.

Pricing psychology was a challenge and required extended trial and error. Eventually, I learned {from our customers and the marketplace} that having both an a la carte and subscription payment option fit best. So, that is what people can choose from on our website.

Because of COVID, I was finally able to achieve my dream of making this a 100% virtual business due to peoples' increasing acceptance of doing business remotely. I struggled with that before because everyone wanted me in their office for meetings. Since our process involves customers submitting video and/or audio recordings of their processes so we can transcribe them into digital SOPs, meeting in person was no longer necessary. This became especially true when I took all of their frequently asked questions and published my answers to our 1-page website.

Now, we have customers nationwide and our team is worldwide.

I sometimes have to sit back and smell the roses in realizing that I was blessed enough to be able to build the business I had dreamt about. I also am grateful that I was able to take something that was once an idea in my head and see it through to manifestation.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.