The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

#2dads# Comfortably Numb - The Rise to Freedom

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

2dads

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
May 27, 2021
BRISBANE, Australia
Howdy,

My name is John i have put off writing anything in the Process and Execution section due to not wanting to be held accountable by myself and waiting for the ‘RIGHT IDEA’ to pop up.

Background:

A little about my background, grew up in a working house hold been the middle child of 6 siblings, father worked a job he hated and was a highly functional alcoholic.

We were not rich but any means, compared to my friends – we never went without food or clothes etc. Grew up walking on egg shells – when was going to be the next fight, had a mother who at times was just as nasty as the old man in her own way. They loved us, but it was never shown and that it’s self was something I have worked on with professionals in the last few years (A huge part of why I want financial freedom is that help is normally locked behind local wait times in the public system and or large costs $200 per hour for a season)

When I was 20 my mother moved away with my 2 youngest brothers - he was left by himself, he got sober and gave up the drink, he proved to my mother he changed, and she came back.

I would say 4 to 5 years he was sober was the best years of my life that I can remember, no issues and he was the man my mother loved.

6 years ago my mother passed away (she had been sick for a long time), my dad had started to relapse about 6 months prior to her passing.. He just started to have a "casual drink", my mother was in too much pain to fight it.

She passed away when I was 25, sadly my dad hit the bottle harder and has for the last 6 years lived in a world of alcoholism. I feel like I was abandoned and only had a father in my life for a short period of time (compared to others, I am lucky to have had him even for that) - I lost both my mother and father at the same time. I and the rest of the family tried to help him kick it again but he doesn't want to.

Since joining in 2021 my life has had very little pain financially, however I wanted more. I have worked in internal or external sales roles earning ok money – enough to live comfortably numb. I was lucky to find my sole mate very early on & have a partner who supports me and has a drive which I love so much about her.

My F*ck this moment:
Seen my dad be so angry at life but not been able to change it and with the substance abuse killing him, I never wanted this for myself or my family.

The change:

Early 2021 my wife and I decided to move back to our local town, which was cheaper rent and after a few months (brothers’ rental property which was vacant at the time) we took the opportunity to live her parents to get enough money for a deposit into the Housing market here in Australia.

For the next year we saved and sold of any items we no longer needed or had use for, getting closer to our Goal amount. I once again went to market and got a job in a competitor’s role (I was comfortable at my job but needed higher $$ and wanted to get into the housing market quicker) Sadly the competitor I went to was all “talk” and the bonuses turned out to fractional compared to what I was led to believe (lesson learnt – get in in writing, so easy to miss hear things and verbal promises mean shit)

In my role I had been passionate about sharing my journey, the products and service for the company’s I worked for on LinkedIn. From here I was approached for a role outside of my comfort zone (external sales rep. in the steel industry)

I saw an exit with my current “dud role” and wanting to increase our savings, I jumped in – increasing my base salary by 22%

With the new dual incomes and no children and our savings the banks were able to look past my job hopping and gave us pre approval (lesson learnt, I heard from so many people that job history played so much when applying for a house loan. In some cases I am sure this is true) What I found was seek out experts, we found a mortgage broker we had helped my best friend (business owner) get in a few months prior – he was a “pit bull” and earnt his commission. (Lesson learnt: stop taking others words of advice as gospel and get paid advice)

We purchased our house earlier March this year, we had to increase what we “wanted” to spend and learnt a lot about the market from a buyers perspective. We had a top amount to borrow of $900K, however only wanted to spend $400K. We had to increase what we wanted to spend (location, space etc) and found a great house with 3 x large sheds (potential to store or run a business out of them or rent out) – we purchased this house at $515K. In hind sight we got a steal even with the market been hot, neighbours house sold 6 weeks later (similar) for $601K – since then the market has flat lined. However been a long term investment and with the large sheds – I thank gosh that we got this house.

So this month has been a big one, taken a role outside of the industry I know (electrical and steel) and working with investors who want to purchase a turn key investment (I myself will buy one however need $400-$500K to get my own site)

Currently writing this on my break at work, waiting for the end of the month to start my new role.

I decided with my knowledge and connections to create a web design business initially to get myself started and doing!

I also put money against my self in the past 2 months and joined Fox Academy ($150 AUD a month – a cost in which is enough which makes me hurt, If I don’t use it I will be pissed off), I am currently working on 2 sites as we speak – with 2 more warm leads waiting in the wings. As well as Fox I have paid for a tutor in web design, helping in areas from another Australian based web designer – this has cost me the most however in the past week have had more success then the last 2 months. Amplifying my results even further.

P.S

One thing I now know is that the banks don't care how I get my money (legally of course) as long as I pay my mortgage on time - for so long I lived by these rules "you have to work and have a good job history to get a house" - I think @mj mentions it in the book, about rules set by society and your not obliged to play by these rules/poison pens"

A huge shout out to @MJ DeMarco @Andy Black and @Fox who's books and content have helped me on my journey.

GOALS: 2022

By the end of December 31st, I will have:

1. My company registered & ready to do business
  2. Working to increase my web design offer and working towards my 2023 goal of 10 builds next year (initial goal – will change)
  3. My first 2 sites live

I apologies for the long winded write up & hope it was not muddled. I will be updating as I go and will use this as a reminder of where I came from and hope it adds some value to others.

Any advice is appreciated – Cheers John

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

2dads

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
May 27, 2021
BRISBANE, Australia
Welcome to the forum, John, and thanks for sharing your story. I hope your father finds peace and that he's able to kick the addiction to be a larger part of your life.
Thanks mate

Stranger things have happened, I was very lucky that my father in law has spent a lot of time filling that void.

I heard a saying when I was 19: you will never get along with your father like you get along with your father in law.

I found that to be true

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.