The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2012 - Microsoft demoted me. I cried in my car. I'm not ashamed...

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
2012 - Microsoft demoted me. I cried in my car. I'm not ashamed...

I wondered if my life was going anywhere

In that moment Entrepreneurship became a NEED rather than an option & I couldn't be stopped

What's been your most important failure & WHY?

IMG_1084.PNG

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Not having a 'better way' of finding financial freedom and skill mastery to tell my girl before she went off to college.

I failed to find it for her so that she didn't need to go through routes too crowded or flawed to succeed.

Also, I failed to take action within the first few months of discovering Fastlane.

I suppose all of us goes through that...it may be a given. Knowing that you wasted so much time not doing stuff that matters is like a ghost hanging over you darkly for the next days of your walk, as you attempt to push on...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What's been your most important failure & WHY?

The failure to recognize I had the free will to go anywhere and live, even outside the country (within the rules.)

For most of my young life, it never dawned on my that I could pick up my stuff and GTFO of Illinois. And never go back.

Once that realization hit, everything changed.

Drop the sacred cows...

We can't move because of this, that, blah, blah. No, you don't want to move because the "blah blah" is more important than your own happiness.

fvcorp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Nov 28, 2017
Canada
Recently, I was being marginalized at a company that I part owned (small equity stake) and where I had poured my blood, sweat and tears into for four years. Without me, I'm not sure it would exist. So I gave my notice.

Within a week of leaving, I got word that people were talking shit about me when just a few weeks earlier they were kissing my a$$.

I've always known it, but the realization that all slowlane jobs are truly a grind has fully set in.

This is my failure because I should have left years earlier. If you're meant for the fastlane, you can't be satisfied by or put up with slowlane bullshit.

DavidK

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
May 23, 2017
Hurricane, UT
@BrooklynHustle
Most important failure was being naive and not questioning the script (college->job->401K->retire) at an earlier age. Finished undergrad and grad school but had a young family to support and the 20K grad student stipend wasn't cutting it, took out extra loans to help and ended up around 100K in debt after leaving the program with a masters. PhD would have been another 3 years but the accumulating debt was starting to be of concern. BTW I ended up with Bachelor's degrees in Math and Philosophy and a Master's in Physics so thought getting a job would be easy... WRONG.

Spent entire last semester applying for a job or two per night, never made it past phone interviews... lack of experience the common roadblock. Had some opportunities for ~12$ per hour jobs but seriously, that's Subway sandwich artist territory... Decided to take control of environment and moved to Southern Utah and got a job in wilderness therapy to pay the bills. Less than a year later finally got my first 'real' job where I still reside comfortably entrenched in the slow lane, but seeking the fast lane merger every evening.

Having experienced a great slow lane job I can confirm that the script should only to be followed by those comfortable with being mediocre. MJ nailed it in his books. Yes, you will be comfortable and can get a "nice" car and house... but at what cost? Currently I travel every week, only seeing family on weekends. Sometimes though one has to touch the fire to see that it will indeed burn. Having been burned I fully understand now that fastlane entrepreneurship is the only path worth pursuing.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Scar skin is tougher than regular skin. My failures made me stronger.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Be glad. I've chased promotions for years only to realise that promotions only marginally increase income but significantly increase the strain on your own personal time.

Time you should be putting to use to free yourself from the rat race.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Be glad. I've chased promotions for years only to realise that promotions only marginally increase income but significantly increase the strain on your own personal time.

Time you should be putting to use to free yourself from the rat race.
100%

I used it as fuel and freed myself for good in 2013

Last edited:

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
The failure to recognize I had the free will to go anywhere and live, even outside the country (within the rules.)

For most of my young life, it never dawned on my that I could pick up my stuff and GTFO of Illinois. And never go back.

Once that realization hit, everything changed.

Drop the sacred cows...

We can't move because of this, that, blah, blah. No, you don't want to move because the "blah blah" is more important than your own happiness.
I wonder how many people are going through the same exact thing without even knowing it...

IMG_2207.JPG

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
I had a major FTE after being rejected from the job opportunity that I dedicated so much time and effort to for years.

I had always been told I was going places because I had the right attitude and work ethic. So when I didn't achieve that opportunity, it really destroyed me for a lot of years.

It all turned around when my son was born.

Also ... I read Unscripted in that same period of time.

I am grateful that I didn't get that job opportunity and that I have been pushed down the path of creating my own business. Also I have a stronger vision for the future of being able to spend more time with my son.

That is what is important now and that is what I work for everyday now. Funny thing is ... is that it is totally worth it and there is generally a feeling of bliss and excitement for the opportunities to come in the future.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
I had a major FTE after being rejected from the job opportunity that I dedicated so much time and effort to for years.

I had always been told I was going places because I had the right attitude and work ethic. So when I didn't achieve that opportunity, it really destroyed me for a lot of years.

It all turned around when my son was born.

Also ... I read Unscripted in that same period of time.

I am grateful that I didn't get that job opportunity and that I have been pushed down the path of creating my own business. Also I have a stronger vision for the future of being able to spend more time with my son.

That is what is important now and that is what I work for everyday now. Funny thing is ... is that it is totally worth it and there is generally a feeling of bliss and excitement for the opportunities to come in the future.
I know how you feel. Excited for you...

Bottle that energy up and make the most of it. Powerful :fire:

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Recently, I was being marginalized at a company that I part owned (small equity stake) and where I had poured my blood, sweat and tears into for four years. Without me, I'm not sure it would exist. So I gave my notice.

Within a week of leaving, I got word that people were talking shit about me when just a few weeks earlier they were kissing my a$$.

I've always known it, but the realization that all slowlane jobs are truly a grind has fully set in.

This is my failure because I should have left years earlier. If you're meant for the fastlane, you can't be satisfied by or put up with slowlane bullshit.

Good realization... What's next?

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Also, I failed to take action within the first few months of discovering Fastlane.
As long as you are taking consistent action now, it's all good IMO

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Last edited:

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Not being able to help my parents out with money despite their financial difficulties.

Being trusted and having faith put in you and yet letting them down.

Yup, I've been failing for several years. Trying different things and failing time and time again. I've tried multiple businesses and side hustles and failed. I've had every reason to give up and never walk this path again. The failure is 100% my fault. I couldn't manage myself, let demons control me, and paid the price for it.

This time is different. I'm calmer, yet more stimulated than I've ever been. 2018 will be different and the energy from every failure in the best will become the most monumental success.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Not being able to help my parents out with money despite their financial difficulties.

Being trusted and having faith put in you and yet letting them down.

Yup, I've been failing for several years. Trying different things and failing time and time again. I've tried multiple businesses and side hustles and failed. I've had every reason to give up and never walk this path again. The failure is 100% my fault. I couldn't manage myself, let demons control me, and paid the price for it.

This time is different. I'm calmer, yet more stimulated than I've ever been. 2018 will be different and the energy from every failure in the best will become the most monumental success.
Wishing you nothing but the best this time around. It sounds like you've got what it takes.

Bottle that painful feeling and use it to drive your actions & your success...

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
@BrooklynHustle
Most important failure was being naive and not questioning the script (college->job->401K->retire) at an earlier age. Finished undergrad and grad school but had a young family to support and the 20K grad student stipend wasn't cutting it, took out extra loans to help and ended up around 100K in debt after leaving the program with a masters. PhD would have been another 3 years but the accumulating debt was starting to be of concern. BTW I ended up with Bachelor's degrees in Math and Philosophy and a Master's in Physics so thought getting a job would be easy... WRONG.

Spent entire last semester applying for a job or two per night, never made it past phone interviews... lack of experience the common roadblock. Had some opportunities for ~12$ per hour jobs but seriously, that's Subway sandwich artist territory... Decided to take control of environment and moved to Southern Utah and got a job in wilderness therapy to pay the bills. Less than a year later finally got my first 'real' job where I still reside comfortably entrenched in the slow lane, but seeking the fast lane merger every evening.

Having experienced a great slow lane job I can confirm that the script should only to be followed by those comfortable with being mediocre. MJ nailed it in his books. Yes, you will be comfortable and can get a "nice" car and house... but at what cost? Currently I travel every week, only seeing family on weekends. Sometimes though one has to touch the fire to see that it will indeed burn. Having been burned I fully understand now that fastlane entrepreneurship is the only path worth pursuing.
Love it... what's next?

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
I earned an award at a company one year and got so much praise
Then we got bought out by another company
My manager and director left and new people came in to run the group
All of a sudden, I was being over worked and told that I am not performing well
Six months later, while my dad just suffered from a mild heart attack and stroke that left him paralyzed...
I was told that I was being let go
Not only did I not have the power to help the people I care about
I didn't have the power to help myself...
I never want to have that feeling again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.