The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2 Business ideas, SOMEONE TAKE THESE!!

Idea threads

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
These ideas have been lurking around my head for a good while but I don't have much desire (or resources) to make them real.

First is an app that disables texting or certain features of a phone while driving. Not sure how it could be done but I'm sure it's very possible. I don't think this one really needs any explaining, but for kicks it's to keep people from using their phone while driving. Anyone been stuck at a green light while the car in front isn't moving? Whip past them and they're glued to their phone, not even glancing at the street lights. Or someone swerving all over the highway, maybe even creating accidents, all because they're stupid. Can't fix stupid but we can start with their phone. Too many reasons to explain why this app SHOULD exist!!!
I don't know many people who would buy this app for themselves (I would) but market it towards parents and I'm sure it' a goldmine. Maybe even companies like Apple, LG, Samsung... will eventually make it a preinstalled app. Maybe an app isn't the best idea seeing how apps can just be deleted, but just any way to make this possible where "kids" can't just turn it off/delete it.

Next idea I know there's a market for as well. Start a newer better shipping service that offers quality and a guarantee that your stuff won't be destroyed. I don't know how many niches have a problem shipping goods and having the ever wonderful UPS, Fedex, USPS damage their stuff, but the musician world it's an absolute nightmare!! Not a week goes by that I don't hear/see a thread on a guitar forum where a guitar has been smashed. Most common is the neck being snapped off, sometimes just the case is severly beaten, but occasionally extreme breaks such as the neck being split down the middle (NO idea how this is even possible) or a whole section of the body snapped off. I've shipped over 20 guitars and lucky for me (knock on wood) I have had no incidents... yet! Last week I saw 2 threads where someone shipped a botique high end custom amp valued from $3000-5000 where the chassis of the amp has actually been bent! Again, this is insane, damn near impossible.

Now this is NOT because of the person shipping. Yes sometimes it's because of them but for the serious musicians who really value their gear we never underpack our stuff. For guitars it's almost always in a hardshell case, the guitar is wrapped in bubble wrap inside the case, then the case is wrapped in 3+ inches of bubble wrap, then the shipping box. That is the requirements of UPS, Fedex, and USPS but still does no good. Amps are normally shipped wrapped in bubble wrap with the tubes removed (if it's a tube amp, 99.9% of high end amps are) and bubble wrapped individually, then placed in a box. The box is then wrapped in bubble wrap or using thick foam spacers, then placed into another larger box. Box within a box, still not enough for the animals who handle these packages.

I had a friend (HAD) who was a manager at Fedex and he bragged to me one time and showed me a video of him and his other manager buddies standing around laughing while one guy was atop a 10 foot ladder with a Mac Pro ($3000+ computer) then smashed it to the ground, just because. No real reason, just because they are A**holes!! This is not a rare occurence!!!!! Professional musicians are not exempt from this abuse either. Ex Red Hot Chili Pepper guitars John Frusciante has had a vintage 50's Fender Stratocaster valued well over $20K completely smashed like it was intentional.

When I worked at Guitar Center my manager told me horror stories from some claims he had to deal with. One was a guy who ordered a custom 48 channel Allen & Heath mixing board, about $200,000! He called screaming not even making whole sentences, red in the face, because the delivery driver was as he spoke tipping the box end over end (they're about 5 feet long, 100+ pounds) down the driveway. Another one was a guy who ordered a custom Taylor acoustic, about $30,000. It was supposed to be delivered in October a couple years ago. Never showed so after months of dealing with Fedex claiming it was delivered, dealing with possibly being stolen which Fedex says is "not their problem" it finally surfaced AFTER winter where the guy noticed a brown box sticking out of his bushes next to his house. Aparently the driver delivered it but when the owner wasn't home instead of taking it back and trying the next day he just stuck it behind the bushes and never cared to mention it. Needless to say the guitar was absolutely destroyed beyond repair.

Dealing with a claim is even more stressful. If you ever get a damaged good and call them they will say someone will be out to pick it up. They will then inspect it and deal with the claim from there. Many times if you let them pick it up it will disappear FOREVER! I've heard people claim that after it's picked up they'd call months later to check on the claim and there's no file of a claim or even of the delivery anymore. So they are stuck without the money or without the gear. At that point I'd probably be going to jail for illegal activity but we'll leave it at that. :D

I've heard countless times that musicians wish there was a company to ship musical instruments without having to worry the entire time if it'll show up smashed, or even at all!!

Some if someone needs an idea please take these! The app could save lives, ease traffic jams, and possibly even let cops deal with more important issues than just POS people who can't get off their phones!! The shipping idea would probably take quite an investment but there certainly is a market out there. No chance chaning a broken company such as the big 3, so start a new one and make sure the quality stays!

Sorry for the super long post

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lincoln84

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Feb 28, 2014
Tallinn, Estonia
I think it is definitely a very good idea concerning the music instruments transportation. I just looked a little bit around on the internet and there dosen`t seem to be any transportation firms, that specialize in this niche. Somebody with a good amount of starting capital, could start a very profitable firm.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I think it is definitely a very good idea concerning the music instruments transportation. I just looked a little bit around on the internet and there dosen`t seem to be any transportation firms, that specialize in this niche. Somebody with a good amount of starting capital, could start a very profitable firm.
Yeah there's been a few very small ones that people have tried to start but for obvious reasons they didn't work out. Rates would either be sky high or it would need a very sizeable startup cost, being able to ship at the least across the country. Would be a great idea for someone.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
First is an app that disables texting or certain features of a phone while driving
The only people who would get this is parents for their newly driving teens. That's only if it's free.

A different angle would be to offer this "service" to companies with delivery drivers or company cars.

Start a newer better shipping service that offers quality and a guarantee that your stuff won't be destroyed.

Good luck. I'm gonna Mr. Wonderful this one. The bigger companies are going to swallow you whole. They have enough funding to destroy you.

Again on the flip side of that, you can offer these companies a local delivery service.

The reason most of these Fedex or UPS people don't care is because they're Union. Good luck getting them fired. Especially if everyone is involved.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
I read this entire message while at a red/green/red/greenred/green light (first in line, WOOOOO), then typed this response while avoiding children walking home from various bus stops.

All this was to deliver a $145,000 piccolo to the local high school for acclaimed jazz artist Kenny G. who has bad hands and can't catch worth shit. The package got run over by a bus. Sorry Kenny!

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I read this entire message while at a red/green/red/greenred/green light (first in line, WOOOOO), then typed this response while avoiding children walking home from various bus stops.

All this was to deliver a $145,000 piccolo to the local high school for acclaimed jazz artist Kenny G. who has bad hands and can't catch worth shit. The package got run over by a bus. Sorry Kenny!
I don't even... What?

I have to say I laughed out of confusion but seriously....What?
Were these in reference to the proposed businesses?

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
It's Friday!!!
Ok I understand now. Today is like my Saturday, I guess i'm dehydrated or somethin'.

Laughing at myself for lookin' like a total jackass lol.
Depending on what people you hit you get points! It's one of them facebook games or somethin'!

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Ok I understand now. Today is like my Saturday, I guess i'm dehydrated or somethin'.

Laughing at myself for lookin' like a total jackass lol.
Depending on what people you hit you get points! It's one of them facebook games or somethin'!
NOBODY is a bigger jackass than me!

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
The only people who would get this is parents for their newly driving teens. That's only if it's free.

A different angle would be to offer this "service" to companies with delivery drivers or company cars.

Good luck. I'm gonna Mr. Wonderful this one. The bigger companies are going to swallow you whole. They have enough funding to destroy you.

Again on the flip side of that, you can offer these companies a local delivery service.

The reason most of these Fedex or UPS people don't care is because they're Union. Good luck getting them fired. Especially if everyone is involved.
For the app that was primarily the target audience but if there was enough interest who knows, maybe the phone companies themselves would want it preinstalled.

As far as the shipping service, I'd have no interest in getting ups... employees fired, they won't ever change and I don't expect a change. Which is why a new company would be useful. The problem with having this a local company defeats the purpose. Most musicians prefer to deal only local because of the hassle with shipping and claims, that and if they can drive themselves they'd prefer that. I even know people who will buy a flight ticket and bring it carry on (thanks to the new musician bill that requires airlines to allow carry on) just to make sure its safe. If they can be absolutely sure its safe and cheaper than an airline ticket then I think many would go for it.

Again this is not something I want to do, just throwing the ideas out there for anyone else who'd have an interest.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ

Nice try, didn't Kenny G play a clarinet? lol

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Instead of buying an app, why not educate everyone on the Do-Not-Disturb function available to all smart phones. It suppresses all notifications.

Because people don't use it.

It would be very easy for the teen to go in and disable it. Most kids know more about technology then their parents.

Example: My siblings and cousins. They know more about iPhones and Androids then their parents. Some of them even teach their parents about their own smart phones.

Which is why a new company would be useful.

Most musicians prefer to deal only local

These two sentences contradict each other.

Musicians prefer to deal locally?

Why start a new business based on shipping "Priceless Merchandise" or "High-end Valuables" like recording equipment and musical instruments if ALL musicians deal locally?

I think getting the best deal possible is the only thing internet shoppers are looking for.

As far as the shipping service, I'd have no interest in getting ups... employees fired

I never said anything about getting them fired, I said this is the reason why they don't care.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I'm not trying to attack you. I am analyzing your business ideas as any intelligent investor would.

You need to figure out what the unique selling point is. Not just stating whats wrong with x,y and z. Or trying selling a function that already exists for free.

On the app:
  • How would you get make it know that you are driving? A lot of cars don't have bluetooth so that isn't an option.
  • Would it conflict if you're a passenger?
  • GPS uses data. How would you work around using this because not everyone has unlimited data and certain companies throttle data after a threshold is hit.
On the delivery company:
  • What would be you're main selling point? We don't break your shit, guaranteed?
  • Why would people prefer your company over a well established one?
I know you said you don't want to do these businesses but you have to understand, they are your ideas. If someone was going to just jump right in and do one of them, they will probably fail.

I doubt anyone takes them though. If they were good ideas, you'd be running with them. Trying to disprove me every step of the way.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
The non-text app idea is quite a clever one for company's who have sales people/delivery drivers etc. Not wanting them to get Points on their license (UK penalty) as it could bump up their insurance if a couple of their workers got caught and had to declare to the insurance .

Seriously but if your ordering something like as said 200k mixing board or even a 30k guitar you surely have the money to spend getting it properly and specially transported.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Instead of buying an app, why not educate everyone on the Do-Not-Disturb function available to all smart phones. It suppresses all notifications.

Because people don't use it.

It would be very easy for the teen to go in and disable it. Most kids know more about technology then their parents.

Example: My siblings and cousins. They know more about iPhones and Androids then their parents. Some of them even teach their parents about their own smart phones.

These two sentences contradict each other.

Musicians prefer to deal locally?

Why start a new business based on shipping "Priceless Merchandise" or "High-end Valuables" like recording equipment and musical instruments if ALL musicians deal locally?

I think getting the best deal possible is the only thing internet shoppers are looking for.

I never said anything about getting them fired, I said this is the reason why they don't care.
Sorry I should have clarified. A good deal of musicians prefer to deal locally specifically because of possible damage to priceless gear. If the risk of damage wasn't there (or substantially less) they'd be more inclined to ship. Not trying to speak for all musicians but its just things I've noticed over time. Oh and I apologize for now stating this earlier, this is almost exclusive to used gear going from individual to individual. Working at GC a few years I saw countless guitars come in broken, they have major insurance policies (as do all big box retailers) so its not a problem to them. Same if a customer receives a broken guitar from an online store. They generally have good return policies to protect against that.

As far as the "firing" thing, I just misunderstood.

For the app thats a good thought, I didn't even know about that.

I don't think you're attacking me at all, I like constructive criticism, it helps me get a view from other angles so I actually appreciate it.

I'll respond to your other post in a little bit, at work right now.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not trying to attack you. I am analyzing your business ideas as any intelligent investor would.

You need to figure out what the unique selling point is. Not just stating whats wrong with x,y and z. Or trying selling a function that already exists for free.

On the app:
  • How would you get make it know that you are driving? A lot of cars don't have bluetooth so that isn't an option.
  • Would it conflict if you're a passenger?
  • GPS uses data. How would you work around using this because not everyone has unlimited data and certain companies throttle data after a threshold is hit.
On the delivery company:
  • What would be you're main selling point? We don't break your shit, guaranteed?
  • Why would people prefer your company over a well established one?
I know you said you don't want to do these businesses but you have to understand, they are your ideas. If someone was going to just jump right in and do one of them, they will probably fail.

I doubt anyone takes them though. If they were good ideas, you'd be running with them. Trying to disprove me every step of the way.

For the app unfortunately I can't answer ANY of these questions. I don't know a thing about coding (I'm trying to learn though) so I have no idea how to make this happen, but I'm sure it can. Vigilante's link is definitely interesting though.

For the delivery company, yes the main selling point would be "we don't break your shit, guaranteed" but of course there should be more. As far as people prefering us vs them I guess just that it could be a company of musicians catering to musicians with the hopes that it would ease some of their worries. But hoping can only do so much.

D11FY- You make a good point about if they can afford a $xxxx guitar then they can afford to get it in their posession properly.

I'm sure it's easy to tell from my responses that I did not think into these ideas well enough, or even much at all. I'm still new to this so I'm practicing and trying to learn. I have two other ideas that I'm actually trying to move further with so my focus is on them for the most part. I don't want you guys to think you just talked me out my an idea, you just showed me my plans were pretty flawed right away and since I don't have any plans to move further with these I'll just scrap the ideas right now. One question though Mike, what would be the difference between trying to disprove you vs having answers? Not in any way trying to sound sarcastic, an honest question.

Again I want to thank you guys for the different perspectives and the constructive criticism.
If you guys want please check out my other two idea threads (the guitar app and the suction cup cup holder) and if you can please give me some comments on those as well. I can't guarantee I'll have all the answers for those either but it'll help me cause at some point I'd need to figure them out regardless.

Thanks again

Mike, rep transferred

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
don't know a thing about coding (I'm trying to learn though) so I have no idea how to make this happen
This is the lowest common denominator. Validate the idea first.

One question though Mike, what would be the difference between trying to disprove you vs having answers?
Money talks, bullshit walks.
This thread here

Last edited by a moderator:

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
What about third party insurance? You still go thru fedex/ups but if your shipment gets trashed you get a settlement from the insurance company, without having to deal with the shipping company at all. Seems like the target market would be willing to pay substantial premiums so the insurance business would still be profitable after claims (real and fraudulent, since a selling point would be "no hassle" you're going to have to expect more scammers).

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
settlement from the insurance company, without having to deal with the shipping company at all
What jk is talking about is priceless musical instruments. Some that may have been played by someone famous.

If I bought one and it was delivered in a screwed up way, I'd want to ring someone's neck or sue the hell out of them for a lot more than the "insurance" would cover.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.