The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Got DESTROYED On Shark Tank! What Now?

EntrepreneurM99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 1, 2020
Hey all, a Dragons Den (Shark Tank) clip of mine recently just got posted online by the Network's Youtube Channel and let's just say I got torn a new one by the Dragons.

Based on my estimate, it's going to rack up 200K people watching it.

It's going to be online forever, unless I try to ask them to remove the clip.

I'm not operating the business I pitched anymore, because the clip was recorded YEARS ago.

But my current business may be affected.

1) How do I bounce back from bad PR like this? I feel horrible, depressed, and feel like my reputation is over forever via a simple google search.

2) Is there any chance that TV Networks (Who post the individual clips online) would be willing to take down the content? Could I threaten a lawsuit if possible? Or could I pay them off? Etc. It's a roughly 15 min clip of me in the Dragons Den.

3) Is 200K people watching the clip as bad as I'm making it out to be?

Really in a dark place right now and appreciate if you can help.

EDIT: I put Shark Tank in the title instead of Dragons Den, so more US people will know what I'm talking about (They're both the same type of show)

The worst is knowing my friends/family will find out about it and it will go viral in that "circle".

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Hey all, a Dragons Den clip of mine recently just got posted online by the Network's Youtube Channel and let's just say I got torn a new one by the Dragons.

I'm not operating the business I pitched anymore, because the clip was recorded YEARS ago.

1) How do I bounce back from bad PR like this? I feel horrible, depressed, and feel like my reputation is over forever via a simple google search.

2) Is there any chance that TV Networks (Who post the individual clips online) would be willing to take down the content? Could I threaten a lawsuit if possible? Or could I pay them off? Etc. It's a roughly 15 min clip of me in the Dragons Den.

The worst is knowing my friends/family will find out about it and it will go viral in that "circle".

Link to episode?

Don't sweat it you can just say you learned from the experience.

I doubt they will take it down that's why you sign all the release forms. And it won't fly in court. By suing them you might even get more attention on yourself when you make it on a top ten mojo video.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
How I would handle it if this were me:

Create a website that people can find when they search for my now closed business. Admit on the website how big of an idiot I was when I pitched that idea. Then transition to a soft sales pitch promoting my current business using a humbling story of how I went from a young, stupid and defeated kid to a battle hardened, determined and ultra focused entrepreneur who's helping people.

Basically, exhibit humility and paint myself as someone who got their butt kicked, but worked hard to rise up from the embarrassing and humiliating defeat dished out by big bad corporate billionaires. Everyone likes an underdog.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
As far as it affecting your personal relationships, Is it really that big of a deal? Anybody you would want to be around should understand that everybody makes mistakes and has failures, so people in your life should be understanding. 200k people isn't that much in the grand scheme of things either.

As far as it affecting your career, as long as you have a solution to a problem, nobody should care about your past failures.

Its like the part in Unscripted where MJ talks about the cancer cure. No one cares if the guy who invented the cure for cancer failed out of 6th grade. All they want is a solution to their problem, and they would be a fool not to use it based on the persons history.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
If the set of 200,000 people who watch that video refuse to ever buy from you, great, just sell to the remaining 39,999 sets of 200,000 people on the planet. It helps you narrow your market. If you could somehow alienate all 8,000,000,000 adults on the planet, you would still have over 350,000 people per day reaching adulthood... market to them. At the same time, the alienated people are dying at a rate of 155,556 alienated angry asses per day. Ce la vie. Sic transit gloria mundi.

I've never heard of "dragon's den." I wouldn't click on a link to something by that name under any circumstances. I probably buy more stuff than the average person who is hypnotized by "dragon's den." Millions of other people like me, who could care less about "dragon's den" exist. There is hardly a problem here. Take it in stride and get back to work.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Hey all, a Dragons Den clip of mine recently just got posted online by the Network's Youtube Channel and let's just say I got torn a new one by the Dragons.

Assuming you did not invent a machine that shreds puppies, your reputation will be that you competed on Dragon's Den and did not win. What's the reputation of the 200k people that watch the clip? That they stayed at home an watched you on TV? You already did more than most of them ever will. If anyone says anything, just remind them failing is part of the process for succeeding. People who's opinion you should value, are going to congratulate you for taking action.

AFMKelvin

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Are you the bread guy or the hair extension gal?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I'm going with the hair extension lady.

No matter who you are, if you are worried about something this silly, I think you have a deeper problem than this show.

OliverR

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Jan 28, 2012
EU
Having had some experience with the limelight I can tell you this.
- No-one cares and it won't affect you in any meaningful way other than how you let it affect you on your own.
- Don't read the comments (it's tempting, but just don't) nothing to be gained by giving attention to the special people from hell who write bad things about you or at least give it a few months so it will emotionally blow over for you and you'll have a laugh at the trolls
- You went to swing for something. Even though it allegedly burned, that's more action than 99% of those idiots you now worry about have ever done in their life.

I will finish off with a recent scandal that broke at a local funeral home where a popular news show of investigative journalism exposed some nasty practices at a funeral home with how the bodies were transported. Looking at it, one might assume those guys are now toast. In reality somehow the marketmind responded and their business actually grew 2X after that devastating hit. So you never know how it goes.

Anyways laugh it off if it doesnt bother you then others wont' care. Bring it up yourself if needed to have a laugh and you will instantly neutralize any "negative" effect. The reaction for that is 100% in your control on how you respond to it. Since it's happening to you you think others care, but they really dont. Might get a 5min laugh at your expense and thats it.

Cheers

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Honestly even if I got torn a new one and anybody in my close circle (if they are in my close circle they wouldn't do that anyway, but let's go with it) or outside of it dared to say anything about it I'd simply be "bitch how many times have YOU made it to F*cking Shark Tank" I don't care if your idea was silly or just not worth it TO THEM.

Also I don't think suing works, I'm going to assume when you participate you sign something that says "we can use your image however we like, haha" a-la-The Profit. Just stay away from that video, and don't even read the comments. They have to churn out content constantly so I'd think it's gonna be behind more content soon.

This is NOT a reflection of you, your capabilities, your intelligence, w.e you could think of. Also 200k views is nothing in todays day and I honestly haven't seen any Shark Tank video go viral, bad or good. It's not what people share in their feeds "haha look at this guys ROI" isn't the most interesting thing to hit share on for the average people.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Any form of PR, including bad ones, is good.

DST

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Nov 19, 2013
Norway
I don't think people care, and people have way too limited processing power in their minds to remember stuff like this.

Otherwise, there may be advice from this author. Never read the book or seen his videos on youtube, but heard its helpful

ln2kiyM.jpg

CoreyCapella

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Nov 9, 2019
Take it from someone who is being publicly shamed at the moment that it's good press to and will drive your market. In the famous words of Grant Cardone, "Go out and get you some haters. Hater's sell."
It stings a bit to have people flame you but entrepreneurship is not for the faint of heart.

Ahash31

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Nov 13, 2019
Yeah I’ve failed more times than people have even tried. It’s only your EGO that cares about this stuff and how you look , will I look silly etc..
Jump back on the horse and keep cranking out the business process, try again, be better next time, keep failing until you get it right.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
There is no such thing as negative attention, someone just used it to become the most powerful man on planet earth, literally. Oh and the current UK prime minister did the same thing, maybe there is a thing or two you can learn here too. There are people on youtube literally killing themselves trying to get that much eyeballs on them, and here you go, getting them and you do not want it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Ok... I was curious...

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9rqLkM_PZaI

If this is what you are talking about... I think you did just fine and that Dragon's Den labeled that video with a BS clickbait title and a libelous "embezzlement" hashtag.

Running a business to pay yourself is YOUR decision because it is YOUR business.

If this is indeed you... I wouldn't worry one bit.

Last edited:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Ok... I was curious...

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9rqLkM_PZaI

If this is what you are talking about... I think you did just fine and that Dragon's Den labeled that video with a BS clickbait title and a libelous embezzlement hashtag.

Running a business to pay yourself is YOUR decision because it is YOUR business.

If this is indeed you... I wouldn't worry one bit.

I don't reckon this is the OP, this guy got investment, and he hardly got torn a new one. My guess it's this one below, filmed much longer ago, seeing as James Caan is still in it.

I wouldn't worry about it anyway, lots of people get torn a new one in the Den. Chill and move on.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXU8Ru57RG0

tjwor5

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Sep 30, 2019
I don't reckon this is the OP, this guy got investment, and he hardly got torn a new one. My guess it's this one below, filmed much longer ago, seeing as James Caan is still in it.

I wouldn't worry about it anyway, lots of people get torn a new one in the Den. Chill and move on.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXU8Ru57RG0

I don't think this can be the one either. He said it's likely to rack up 200K views, this one already has over 2 million views.

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Nov 19, 2019
A cornfield in the Midwest
Without having seen the clip, here's what I think I would do in your shoes...

I'd rewatch the clip and note a few key things they were right about and make my own video with a very similar title, talking about lessons learned and how your experience there and maybe a few later lessons informed your later business ventures. I would NOT position this as any kind of rebuttal or defensive message, but with a kind of "we all make mistakes in the early days and here's how I grew and learned from that" with maybe a wry comment about something along the lines that anyone who would like to learn from someone else's mistakes and try to shortcut the process can join the 200k people who have already watched you get your a$$ handed to you on television in the (year) clip over at Dragon's Den.

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
Certainly to see the video would help to have a real idea of the alleged damage you could suffer on your other ventures or your image as an entrepreneur. Lacking information I agree with our friends that said that it is good to have tried and just be selected to pitch the Dragons (or the Sharks) is a nice badge on your lapel.

Regarding the possibility of a law suit against them, it is very unlikely that you would succeed having assumed that whenever you agree to appear on those shows you sign contracts that not only authorizes the release whenever they see fit but gives them absolute rights of all the content generated through your presence there. The only facet you could potentially address is IF the video is maliciously edited intended to put you in a bad light. Very difficult to prove and a very high bar to jump in order to portrait a valid claim.

Having said that, congratulations on having the courage to put yourself there and on creating a product worthy to be pitched to the dragons. That is way more than most people can say about themselves. If your circle punishes you for that, it is time to draw a new circle.

Chin up, move forward.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
Hey all, a Dragons Den (Shark Tank) clip of mine recently just got posted online by the Network's Youtube Channel and let's just say I got torn a new one by the Dragons.

EDIT: I put Shark Tank in the title instead of Dragons Den, so more US people will know what I'm talking about (They're both the same type of show)

Only couch potatoes will care. (The type of people who jerk off to their favorite gurus/sports team)

Real entrepreneurs have their own failures aka awakenings. They only judge those who stay asleep. Real entrepreneurs live their own life instead of focusing on you.

Customers only care if you solve their pain. Unless you have a reputation for lying... literally no one has the attention span to care.

I can’t remember more than a handful of people from Shark Tank. My memory is 99.9% percentile. I remember things from elementary school like they’re nothing. Yet shark tank episisodes I don’t remember.

EntrepreneurM99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 1, 2020
Thanks so much for your replies guys.

I can't DM people yet as I'm a new user, but I'll send the clip privately to a couple of you soon.

Maybe some of you can DM me first, I don't know.

It's tough.

I'm going to feel paranoid that people know who I am when I go out now.

Then again, people will probably forget.

Even if someone does know me from it, I don't mind.

They edited the heck out of it + turned 3 hours into a short clip.

Really appreciate all of your help.

AFMKelvin

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas

I can't DM people yet as I'm a new user, but I'll send the clip privately to a couple of you soon.

It's tough.

I'll DM you please send me the clip.

That's how this shows work. They already have an image created for you and they edit the clips to portray you in whatever character they already have planned for you.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia

It's tough.

Look up the Streisand Effect about wanting something withdrawn and simultaneousy creating more interest. Hope it helps you on your journey.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I can’t remember more than a handful of people from Shark Tank. My memory is 99.9% percentile. I remember things from elementary school like they’re nothing. Yet shark tank episisodes I don’t remember.
Look up the Streisand Effect about wanting something withdrawn and simultaneousy creating more interest.

The above quotes are spot on.

Unless you live in a small village, whereby everyone has watched that episode, it is very doubtful that you will be recognised.

There are Youtube personalities out there with millions of hits per video, and they could walk past you or I without so much as a flicker of recognition.

I'm in the UK as well (London), and like @Process, I also have an excellent memory, I can remember details from Chemistry lessons 30 years ago, yet the only Dragon's Den person I can remember is the guy who had the treadmill built into the armchair, and I don't actually remember his face, just his (hilarious) product.

So yeah, don't sweat it.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Don't over think too much.

Unless you are super famous and rich, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Even the worst shark tank participants is still better than many wantrepreneurs. To me it is an accomplishment.

oa92

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 7, 2019
I wouldn't worry, I used to watch Dragons Den and there were obviously a lot of good ones, bad ones and funny ones but I can barely remember what any of their businesses were let along the people pitching them!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.