The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Jehan from SoCal

squirrel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My parents made it very clear from an early age--college would not be an if, but a where. I had done very well all through primary school, but in hindsight it's held my potential back. The belief I was "naturally gifted" became ingrained through the years, and I always assumed I would find success easily after school with a reputable company. Sure enough I achieved the goal of a prestigious consulting firm and a "nice" salary/signing bonus. The day to day activities of my new career were a stark contrast to being courted during my internships. Only at this point did I contemplate why I had wanted to pursue a degree to begin with.

I gave my Computer Science diploma to my parents, because they seemed to draw more happiness from it than me. I read, and read (never enjoyed reading as a child) because apparently there were answers to all the questions I now had. To be fair, they were there, but hidden amongst unnecessary pages of fluff. In this period I found MJ's The Millionaire Fastlane . It was concise, and not written to please. This felt like fresh air finally. Life took meaning for the first time, and I realized I had been drifting through a structured, scripted (great metaphor MJ) assembly line to be plugged into a machine that is the workforce. I knew deep down that this wasn't the mountain I wanted to climb, and the quickest way to re-adjust was to return back to the base of it.

Upon finishing TMF , I saved up, left my job, had a hard breakup, moved back to California, slashed expenses and began taking action. I pursued SEO until I felt I did not like the control Google had over my business. I attended conferences and met a mentor/partner who I work well with. We failed at e-commerce drop shipping (Yeah, I know), but learned Facebook Ads and Shopify in the process. We studied small cap stocks and took to investing in the marijuana sector over the course of last year and finally saw solid profits, but realized the insane growth would not sustain. I'd much rather put the money into building my own productacracy.

And now we're at the present. I live in LA and am an actor outside of an entrepreneur (the two share many similarities actually, with yourself being the product). I finished Unscripted and felt this forum would provide some of the energy and insight I soaked up while reading. While here I'm hoping to decide on the exact mountain I want to climb, as well as meet some great Fastlane choosers, with similar aspirations to add value for the world while enjoying freedom in the form of time.

Thanks for reading and shoutout to MJ DeMarco for advice in the form of books when I needed it!

Cheers
Jehan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome intro Jehan, I'm proud to have had a tiny role in it! Welcome to our little corner on the interwebs, free from SCRIPTED tomfoolery!

Under-Dog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2015
So.Cal
Welcome, welcome! Nice to see someone else in the LA area... You've come to the right place my friend

squirrel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Awesome intro Jehan, I'm proud to have had a tiny role in it! Welcome to our little corner on the interwebs, free from SCRIPTED tomfoolery!
Glad to have found my way here MJ! I want to particularly praise Chapter 21 - The Money Scam for clearly defining money chasing vs value creating. YouTube and Reddit have become money chasing hotbeds and sadly I started to confuse the two concepts after seeing so much crap the past year. Reading Unscripted was a reminder of why I want to be an entrepreneur, and how value should not be a zero-sum game when business is done correctly.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Chapter 21 - The Money Scam for clearly defining money chasing vs value creating.

That chapter could be a book in itself. Glad u enjoyed.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Welcome! Very good introduction.

I gave my Computer Science diploma to my parents, because they seemed to draw more happiness from it than me.

Upon finishing TMF , I saved up, left my job.....

Have your parents accepted your decision to abandon your "scripted" career? Not that it really matters. I'm just curious if they are being supportive or just another headwind.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

squirrel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Have your parents accepted your decision to abandon your "scripted" career?
They weren't thrilled, but being a pretty good kid and not having debt after graduating helped. They're also in their 60s/70s, and were overall happier with me moving back to California with them from Texas.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...