The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Star Wars, Force Awakens (Thought it Sucked, Spoilers Quarantined)

Seeker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Dec 21, 2015
Germany
I thought it was ok. I saw the old movies probably more often than any other movies. It was my default choice when I was bored as a kid. And to me it's nearly as good as the old ones but far better than Episode I. There they tried several new things, some of them almost nobody liked (Jarjar). With the new one it seemed to me like they didn't want to take any risk. Just serve the masses what they're proven to like. But honestely you don't have to sell them the exact same thing. Or at least make it a real remake. Some remakes are great, just think about the Batman Dark Knight Trilogy.

While I was really feeling some nostolgia here and there (great to see parts of the old cast again), some parts were pretty annoying. Like the Millenium Falcon has the exact same technical difficulties as 30 years ago?

I agree that they f**ked up Kylo Ren when they made him take off the mask. It was so great about Vader that you don't see his face until the very end.

And seriously, was it really necessary to let Han Solo die this way?

But apart from that I enjoyed the special effects show and the Star Wars Feeling. Curious what they do in Episode 8. Probably starts off on an Ice planet and always trouble with the Hyperdrive is my guess...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Here's a couple write ups that echo my sentiments.
(SPOILERS AT BOTH)

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/274463/episode-vii-sucks/

https://community.moviebattles.org/threads/50-reasons-why-the-force-awakens-sucked.652/

I'm all for giving latitude in "science-fiction" which is why it's fiction.

But I felt this movie assumed I'd leave my entire brain at the door and watch from my heart.

I didn't.

YOU KNOW ABOUT MOVIEBATTLES 2!?!? o_O
that was my favorite mod to play for years!!!

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
@Yoda Did you watch the movie yet? If so, what did you think of it?

Enjoyed the movie, I did.

Many questions, I have.

Honestly, it was a highly entertaining movie. Period.

I really had a lot of fun watching it, and my wife was equally (nay, more) enthusiastic.

Was it my favorite? I don't believe so.

To each their own.

Loved:
  1. Kylo Ren. I know many people were really digging his character in the beginning, but driven away because of his weakness in the end. However, there's more to his character than this, IMO; I think he's barely been revealed. I think it's fantastic how his role was portrayed, because its an evolution in the traditional Star Wars antagonistic style. The previous path to the Dark Side has always been a no return, even if it starts with the intent for Good... Yet, with Kylo Ren, it appears to me we have the first touch of a truly God-like character development because he's got the positive and negative, the Light and the Dark. Let us be cereal, we all are waiting for the character who can truly master BOTH sides and bring someone back from life.. I know I am. Kylo may be the ticket to opening a lot of doors which have always been barely cracked open. Think on it, truly. He also has a pretty sweet spaceship...
  2. Rey. She's the classic element in the movie. Slave to Splendor. Underdog. I do agree, to a certain extent, she progressed too fast and we didn't get enough back story, 'training' and more to make it seem more plausible... but we also don't know her midichlorian count, either. (haha) As mentioned by one of you earlier, we did finally get an excellent, albeit brief, moment of possibly 'seeing' the force when she touched the light saber in the basement. This made me enjoy her character much, much more, because of the tie-in from those moments of remembrance. I like the idea of a female Jedi playing a role, as well.
  3. Supreme Leader. Just a good, evil character. Obviously a developing story, but given his appearance, behind the scenes 'control' over the Dark side and its current regime, it's a classic Star Wars move. Looking forward to this veil being pulled.
Hated:
  1. BB-8. What a load of shit. Way too much 'emotion' in a damn droid. This isn't Wall-E.
  2. Physics. The SUN you harnessed and individually AIMED was your ultima-weapon? F*ck man..........what a steaming pile of shit.
Questions:
  • We're going to need more on R2-D2's 'power mode' gig. I wasn't satisfied with this element, but I think there's something to it next movie. I'm going to leave this as a question mark so it can, hopefully, get cleared up. Too flimsy of a ploy by Disney to create a new droid to sell to kids...
  • There's a lot on the table about Rey. The next film makes or breaks her character. While, for this film, at least, she had a solid role and had some moments of badassery, there's plenty of questions needing an answer here.
  • How... exactly... was Luke surviving on that dinky island... for DECADES? Although I'm being mildly satirical, I also have a feeling we're not going to get much more with Luke from this point backwards. That will leave me unappeased. Many questions here.
  • Where did this new evil regime come from? This might be my most staggering question. To create such a massive evil empire and so quickly take it away... I don't like that. It's very feeble.
  • Why didn't Kylo Ren slaughter Fin the moment he saw him not shoot his weapon on the battlefield? And next, why was he not slain after taking his helmet off without orders? And why didn't his captain fight him off when the shield was still up? Is there something more there we don't know about? I'm not really for or against Fin yet, although his part was entertaining.
  • Can we get a little more on Supreme Leader's little red-rocket side kick and will someone explain to me why he wasn't choked to death by Kylo Ren? He was awfully ballsy to ultimately matter so little.
General Fun:
  1. Flying scenes were great. Maneuvers, shots and combination of old and new ships was a fun breath of fresh air.
  2. The comedic moments pushing their way into emotional plot changes were a classic move.
  3. Harrison Ford.
  4. The 1,000 year old pub was a fun scene(s) all around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
I still haven't seen this movie. I read all of the spoilers online to see if it was worth a trip to the theater, but it clearly wasn't. I would've gone right away if only one fan theory had been true.

If only Jar Jar Binks had been an evil Sith lord all along. This would have made the first 3 movies into masterpieces. I choose to go on believing that George Lucas meant for Jar Jar to be revealed as the ultimate leader of the Sith. Nothing you can say will sway me!

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
I know I should be working instead of reading about Star Wars, BUT…

If there are any Star Wars fans here besides me, you might be interested in this: Disney is not only working on Star Wars Land (which I am stoked about) but now is also toying with the idea of a Star Wars RESORT HOTEL that will be shaped like the Millennium Falcon.

They are talking cantinas, droids, and even lightsaber training for guests.

This would be so cool.

Link here: http://www.businessinsider.com/disney-world-star-wars-starship-luxury-resort-hotel-2017-4

Other Star Wars trivia: The Han Solo Anthology movie is being filmed right now, and there are talks of a Yoda movie as well. A Yoda movie would be neat if they capitalize on his words of wisdom.

Okay, back to boring stuff.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I know I should be working instead of reading about Star Wars, BUT…

If there are any Star Wars fans here besides me, you might be interested in this: Disney is not only working on Star Wars Land (which I am stoked about) but now is also toying with the idea of a Star Wars RESORT HOTEL that will be shaped like the Millennium Falcon.

They are talking cantinas, droids, and even lightsaber training for guests.

This would be so cool.

Link here: http://www.businessinsider.com/disney-world-star-wars-starship-luxury-resort-hotel-2017-4

Other Star Wars trivia: The Hans Solo Anthology movie is being filmed right now, and there were talks of a Yoda movie as well. A Yoda movie would be neat if they capitalize on his words of wisdom.

Okay, back to boring stuff.

Disney, squeezing that towel... ;)

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah

thehighlander

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Dec 31, 2016
California
It is not a movie I want to watch again. It felt like a big Hollywood hit made with focus groups and committees. The original movie was a young filmmakers vision and it followed a classic mytholgical structure. Spaceships, Jedis, and cool characters are not what make Star Wars good... the classic story does. No one cares about how the plans for the Death Star were acquired or the youth of Darth Vader and Han Solo. Other movies will not make an impact and stand the test of time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
As for me the force awakens was good, I can see some of your points about the character, but my view of the movie kinda tweaked a bit when i saw this review.

I'm excited about The Last Jedi coming out, because i think this movie will make or break the force awakens.

Also, what did you think of Rogue One?! I think that my favorite star wars movie yet besides ESB

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Disney, squeezing that towel... ;)
They have too many cash cows in place....
First there's Rogue One. They bring in Vader, the Rogue squadron and the fly-shot of Leia. Enough to warrant millions of visits to the cinema.
And soon there's going to be the Last Jedi...and don't forget the cartoons the Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels.
Worse of all, these characters don't need to involve a black mouse with two ears and red pants....

The genius is not just in Lucas's creative mastermind. The genius is in Disney BUYING Lucasarts!
I'm not going to continue on the other Disney live action films like Beauty and the Beast, or the Marvel series, with Spiderman Homecoming.....
I'll go on forever. Especially on the notion that Disney's arsenal of films and cartoons could be just expensive content marketing for the masses to buy their merchandise like clothes, shoes, watches, jewels, food franchises....

Back on track....
The Force Awakens was fine in terms of stormtrooper redesign, introduction of some new characters and Kylo Ren. It hints further at more discussions of the Empire troopers' thinking and choices, which would be interesting to follow.

But I rip on the 'destroy the planet destroyer', AKA Death Star lookalike or Starkiller base. That old story plot has been used until it is old af.

We need some newer vibrant storyline.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.