The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

iPhone, Android, Dumb-phone ETC.. does your cell phone type matter for your business?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
I'm a bit biased in this topic but have been using a dumb-phone for the better part of a few years.
I've also got a android device that is used when a app is needed, and this week I finally picked up my second iPhone.
This week a client face-time called me, and it got me thinking about the other times I've had issues getting virtual interactions with a client.

How do the fine folks of the fastlane feel? does the type of phone you have have any change on your busines? Have you noticed any issues arising form using one device over another, or is a phone a phone in your eyes?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest111683

I'm a bit biased in this topic but have been using a dumb-phone for the better part of a few years.
I've also got a android device that is used when a app is needed, and this week I finally picked up my second iPhone.
This week a client face-time called me, and it got me thinking about the other times I've had issues getting virtual interactions with a client.

How do the fine folks of the fastlane feel? does the type of phone you have have any change on your busines? Have you noticed any issues arising form using one device over another, or is a phone a phone in your eyes?
As long as the phone is fast enough and modern, a phone is just a phone in my eyes. Well... you might get an ego boost if you have the newest smartphone on the market! Anyways, did the FaceTime call with your client give you trouble or did it make your conversation easier?

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022

It doesn't really matter but in terms of dumb phones I will add two things: First, support for dumb phones in most places will end soon (shutdown of 2G / 3G networks). Second, Communication via dumb phones is totally insecure and very easy to compromise. Its much better to use messaging apps that offer encryption like Signal, or even Whatsapp rather than sending a text or making a phone call.

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
As long as the phone is fast enough and modern, a phone is just a phone in my eyes. Well... you might get an ego boost if you have the newest smartphone on the market! Anyways, did the FaceTime call with your client give you trouble or did it make your conversation easier?
they didn't ask if I had an iPhone, they just started a facetime call.
When iPhone numbers are saved, a button appears for facetime audio or video, but I seriously wonder if they even considered that. I denied video but answered audio, then when I needed to see something it was one click to show me. I'm thinking in the back of my head "holy smokes, why didn't I do this ages ago?" -compare that to the hassle of driving somewhere or using team-viewer etc.. yeah it made it a lot easier.

I've always held the notion a phone is a phone, but 2G and 3G networks coming down is exactly what convinced me to switch. I hate the glass backs, I can throw my old phone down a road with no damage to it. But face-time? that's a game changer in terms of video conferencing.

haners

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 11, 2024
I noticed that most people who run a business tend to buy the latest phone models. I don't get it actually, because I don't see any necessity to replace the phone every half a year. Though I also noticed that a phone is supposed to show your status.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
"Does it matter?" Well, do you need the features that a smartphone has but the dumb phone hasn't? Then, it matters. If you only need to make calls, probably doesn't matter.

I personally don't see a reason why should I choose an ancient technology over a super modern tool that can do a million tasks. I work online, so I find it convenient to access the same apps on both my laptop and my phone. I communicate with clients across a variety of channels, dumb phone doesn't support them. I travel and want to capture my travels, so a camera is a necessity. Social media can be harmful but it can also be a leverage, so I appreciate having it.

Whatever iPhone I buy, it generates a positive ROI, that's all that matters. I'd make less money if I was limited to a dumb phone.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Most people completely fail in the mobile technology department. Myself included. It's simple.

Pick a brand and stick to it to ensure you know how to maximize its effectiveness to your life/business (e.g. I can turn an Android into a time machine, but I don't know how to power on an iPhone). You buy the highest-end tech you can get *once,* and then hold it for up to 4 years. Rinse & repeat.

Of course, now that some companies are beginning to reintroduce the whole "bring in a phone, get a free upgrade" thing, you can theoretically upgrade every year for free. Setting up a new phone can be a process, however, and mobile technology typically doesn't evolve at insane rates. Thus, every 3-4 years should be fine.

I bought my S22 Ultra when it was brand new (02/22). I will be looking to replace it with 2025/2026 models. Samsung/Android/Galaxy/whomever it responsible for it has the aforementioned program, so it'll cost me a ~40.00$ activation fee.

You don't want a dinosaur phone as in business you want to be as effective as possible. But with modern smartphones, 99% of the population fails to fully utilize smartphone functionality. There's no reason to pay 1500$ for something you're only getting 50$ of value out of.

Cheers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.