The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You Don’t Have to be a Freelancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
The argument in favor of freelancing boils down to:
It doesn't matter where you start, just go toward the outcome you want.

The argument against freelancing boils down to:
Take the most sensible path toward the outcome you want.

These are not opposing ideas and they both begin with the outcome in mind.

Some deeper questions to reflect on could be:
What outcome do I want? Is this path likely to get me there as soon as possible?

A few questions to help in determining that:
  • What outcome do I want?
  • What are my personal values?
  • Can the path I'm considering get me there at all?
  • How else could I get there?
  • Which path is most likely to get me there?
  • Which path will most likely get me there fastest?
  • Which path seems riskier?
  • Based on the outcome I want, my personal values, and what I know and/or believe about the available paths, which path do I choose?
After Choosing:
  • #ZeroFucksGiven, YOLO, anyone who questions my choice GFYS
  • Here's my documented progress in case you want to follow
  • Where am I now, what's changed?
  • Am I still moving toward the outcomes I want or should I reassess?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
We were the only ones telling people that we viewed as settling that they are capable of more. To strive for better. That it’s available to them. That they can and should raise their expectations of what they can accomplish.

Somehow, fighting for people to chase their actual dreams and encouraging a level of boldness makes us “assholes.”

It looks like you're conflating your own drive and ambitions with what you assume are others' dreams. And your advice (or, in this case, rant) is coming off as unsolicited.

It's like pushing your child to become a doctor when they're into arts because it's "bigger" and, in your view, more impactful to society and you want what's best for them.

But clearly, it's NOT what's best for them — because it's actually about not what THEY want but what YOU want, which leads to resentment.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:

Just because people are on The Fastlane Forum doesn't mean they HAVE to become Fastlane entrepreneurs.

They can gain perspective on Fastlane businesses and concepts like value over time, and become amazing employees at any level — from interns to CEOs. Freelancers/independent contractors included.

And, as Fastlaners, we know that building a great team is what makes or breaks your business. So what's the point of all this @Kak?

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Its more of $5/DAY in most parts of Africa, $15/DAY is a salary for senior managers and mid to upper levels of corporate or government jobs, When I was a practicing doctor (General practitioner) my monthly income was around $650 per month before tax.

This is what people here fail to understand. Imagine spending 8 years (I believe it's 6 general medicine + 2 for General Practitioners) to earn $650/m. F*cking crazy, right?

Well, that's the standard in Africa.

Now, imagine a Doctor from Africa using their knowledge and experience to provide expert medical research or consulting for brands in the health & wellness niche on Upwork for $50/h or $100/h or whatever. They can live like kings without moving to another continent or having to drop everyone and everything they've ever known.

"BUT THAT'S NOT FASTLANE!" - Nobody gives a F*ck. Certainly not the Doctor from Africa.

And then, if they're so inclined, (and NOT because someone on the Fastlane forum shamed them into feeling they're not thinking big enough even though they're as happy as can be) they can use that cash to finance their entrepreneurial ideas. Or they might not.

All that matters is they've significantly improved their standard of living. And there's not a single argument anyone here can provide to convince me this is somehow a BAD idea.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It's like pushing your child to become a doctor when they're into arts because it's "bigger" and, in your view, more impactful to society and you want what's best for them.

No, it’s like I’m pushing someone obviously interested in entrepreneurship to go for it, and be an entrepreneur, and gain the benefits of actually being an entrepreneur. Not to extinguish their entrepreneurial flame the moment they arrive.

It’s clear that I am the odd man out here. I am the common denominator. My values, ambition, passion, and evangelism for entrepreneurship are clearly no longer welcome here and that’s fine.

I have been one of the very few to take the bold stances even if they’re unpopular. Opposing viewpoints generally challenge others, and they are usually welcome by people with a desire for personal growth. It’s just clear that what the forum wants is an echo chamber.

I will take responsibility. It is my fault for trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It is my fault for not seeing the very round hole.

I’m going to step away from the forum. I encourage anyone who hopes there might be more for them out there than selling a skill, to try actual entrepreneurship.

I truly wish everyone here, yes, including the freelancers, the very best.

Last edited:

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
No, it’s like I’m pushing someone obviously interested in entrepreneurship to go for it, and be an entrepreneur, and gain the benefits of actually being an entrepreneur. Not to extinguish their entrepreneurial flame the moment the arrive.

It’s clear that I am the odd man out here. I am the common denominator. My values, ambition, passion, and evangelism for entrepreneurship are clearly no longer welcome here and that’s fine. It’s my fault for not recognizing it.

I am happy to take a bold stance even if it’s an unpopular one.

I’m going to step away from the forum. I encourage anyone who hopes there might be more for them out there than selling a skill, to try actual entrepreneurship.

I truly wish everyone here, yes, including the freelancers, the very best.

Or just focus your efforts on people who are already aligned with your values and beliefs.

For the record, it's obvious nobody has an issue with who you are or what you stand for. You're one of the biggest contributors here.

But you're wasting your time rebelling against freelancing. People are interested in that. The market is interested in that. You can't stop them.

And why would you leave when, by your own account, 50% of the people here are freelancing? That leaves the remaining 50% without your guidance and insight.

Reactions: SDE

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Mar 15, 2018
Just a job?? You mean the kid hasn’t started a 7 or 8 figure real estate development company already?!

I jest of course ;) but it is in the spirit of this thread. Everything is a process. Congrats on helping him though, that is awesome.
That’s how I started. Our business needs experience and takes time, a lot of time.

Exactly my point: he’s not a freelancer. His option to become one is always there and improving while he’s learning the ropes with us.
But you're wasting your time rebelling against freelancing. People are interested in that. The market is interested in that. You can't stop them.

While I know where you are coming from, I’m shocked this thread still continues… you are missing key point by Kyle again. Same as mine for that matter.

I have no issues with freelancing. I think Andy is a perfect example of someone with great experience in a niche. On top of that the man loves helping people and is one of the top people I respect on this forum.

I do have an issue with the sheer volume of posts and comments endorsing freelancing as a way of thinking. As a way into entrepreneurial thinking… when 99.9% of the time it’s a means to an end. For most people it can be worse than a job.

Because if you get stuck in the solo mode, you don’t think you could do bigger things.

Of course most people here jumping up in protest to this thread are saying “better this than nothing”. True. I think the bar and expectations should be higher than that.

There is also a subgroup who probably are freelancers dreaming of a different life. But it’s easier to jump here and justify their choices and current status. Some wish they did bigger stuff. Hearing it from Kak (who’s young!) can be scary. Instead of facing that fear, they choose to attack Kyle with the most eloquent copywriter skills.

Bottom line, @Lex DeVille nailed it. More than once.

Do whatever you want people. Hope in 10 years you aren’t here wishing you listened to the unpopular opinion.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I just think there are two sides straw man-ing (straw manning? Peyton Manning?) each other here.

Update: The TLDR of this thread is "think big" but also stop wasting time and "do something," even if it means starting as a freelancer. These have become two warring factions for some reason, as if they are two opposing ideas. (They're not)

Last edited by a moderator:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Mar 15, 2018

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
That’s how I started. Our business needs experience and takes time, a lot of time.

Exactly my point: he’s not a freelancer. His option to become one is always there and improving while he’s learning the ropes with us.

While I know where you are coming from, I’m shocked this thread still continues… you are missing key point by Kyle again. Same as mine for that matter.

I have no issues with freelancing. I think Andy is a perfect example of someone with great experience in a niche. On top of that the man loves helping people and is one of the top people I respect on this forum.

I do have an issue with the sheer volume of posts and comments endorsing freelancing as a way of thinking. As a way into entrepreneurial thinking… when 99.9% of the time it’s a means to an end. For most people it can be worse than a job.

Because if you get stuck in the solo mode, you don’t think you could do bigger things.

Of course most people here jumping up in protest to this thread are saying “better this than nothing”. True. I think the bar and expectations should be higher than that.

There is also a subgroup who probably are freelancers dreaming of a different life. But it’s easier to jump here and justify their choices and current status. Some wish they did bigger stuff. Hearing it from Kak (who’s young!) can be scary. Instead of facing that fear, they choose to attack Kyle with the most eloquent copywriter skills.

Bottom line, @Lex DeVille nailed it. More than once.

Do whatever you want people. Hope in 10 years you aren’t here wishing you listened to the unpopular opinion.

Arguing with his aggressive stance is not attacking.

If people want to freelance, they should. If people want to grow a business after having freelanced for a while, they should.

You guys make it seem like people want to go from freelancers to business owners and there's a group of gatekeepers dissuading them and telling then to continue being freelancers. Which is ridiculous, because the only gatekeepers are the people who cry about freelancing and scaring the newbies off of this forum entirely with their elitist and smug remarks and a platoon of a$$ kissers to like everything they post whether right or wrong.

One of MJ's best videos is about going Fastlane by starting out with a specialized skill. It's for people who have no money or skills a.k.a the same guys who post the threads you complain about.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Mar 15, 2018
Arguing with his aggressive stance is not attacking.

If people want to freelance, they should. If people want to grow a business after having freelanced for a while, they should.

You guys make it seem like people want to go from freelancers to business owners and there's a group of gatekeepers dissuading them and telling then to continue being freelancers. Which is ridiculous, because the only gatekeepers are the people who cry about freelancing and scaring the newbies off of this forum entirely with their elitist and smug remarks and a platoon of a$$ kissers to like everything they post whether right or wrong.

One of MJ's best videos is about going Fastlane by starting out with a specialized skill. It's for people who have no money or skills a.k.a the same guys who post the threads you complain about.

Give me a break Simon. If my post scares the “entrepreneur” out of becoming one, he/she never was going to make it. Period.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Give me a break Simon. If my post scares the “entrepreneur” out of becoming one, he/she never was going to make it. Period.

And now we finally got to the bottom of why claims like freelancing "sucking the entrepreneurial spirit out of people" are just needless rants and not rooted in reality.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Mar 15, 2018
And now we finally got to the bottom of why claims like freelancing "sucking the entrepreneurial spirit out of people" are just needless rants and not rooted in reality.
You are reaching. But I applaud your copywriting skills here.

D

Deleted88861

What outcome do I want? Is this path likely to get me there as soon as possible?

• Based on the outcome I want, my personal values, and what I know and/or believe about the available paths, which path do I choose?
After Choosing:
This is brilliant, especially enjoyed the GFYS part, LOL. Are you still doing your course(s) Lex? Really been enjoying reading your posts on FL forum recently. Cheers - Arron

D

Deleted88861

You are reaching. But I applaud your copywriting skills here.
Ooft. Lol. While I'm here - Hello, lovely to meet you.

I hope I'm not wrong here but please correct me if I am... Basically, if somebody is going to get into freelancing then it's recommended that they keep an open mind throughout the entire process, right? That way, so long as they're focused on what they ultimately want in the end they can be open and flexible around other things that might also help to achieve that goal and freelancing is just another one of those things. So basically freelancing can help as a tool but shouldn't always be the primal focus, the primal focus should be that end goal and being open to anything that helps to aid and can be used as a handy tool towards that.

Maybe I've butchered Lex's point here, let me know if I'm not understanding it correctly. I'm just getting into this myself as I have a fairly strong skillset in one area, so I'm stalking the forum for some wise words and insight. Cheers.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

After Choosing:

Well said @Lex DeVille.

I think this is a great way to end this thread.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads