The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wordpress or building a website from scratch?

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
Hello!

I have this idea of a website I want to give to the people :). The thing Im thinking about is if I should use wordpress as the ground and build a website from there or build it from scratch.

I'm going to hire someone to set up the more difficult parts of the website for me.

The thing is that I imagine it would be easier to manage the website if its on wordpress (more beginner friendly).

What I want the website to do is:

* Have log in/create account
* Have an neewsfeed (if a user writes something it will go to the top of the page)
* Have a profile page
* Have a connection to google maps

Thats like the basic thing that the website will contain. And no, its not another social media site :).

So what do you guys think? Consider I just know the basic about hmtl/css and some php. Could it be easier to just do it in wordpress and manage it there?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
Nice!

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro

You're welcome.

Btw, be sure that the expert you are hiring will document what he does for you.
Otherwise you will be lose control somewhere in the future when adjustments need to be made.

This goes for everything beyond your expertise.
Hiring is OK, but be sure the people your hire document what they do so that their work is transferrable to the next expert.

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
You're welcome.

Btw, be sure that the expert you are hiring will document what he does for you.
Otherwise you will be lose control somewhere in the future when adjustments need to be made.

This goes for everything beyond your expertise.
Hiring is OK, but be sure the people your hire document what they do so that their work is transferrable to the next expert.

Ah good point, will do!

Bandy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Feb 1, 2013
Germany
You might want to check out Wordpress Multisite. That way user will have the possibility to create their one profile/webpage on your site.

This could look like this:

www.ryllban.com/user1
www.ryllban.com/user2

etc...

EDIT: Ohh and you can even configure that every new post that is created on the very own page automatically appears in a 'newsfeed' on your main page.

benh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Aug 14, 2013
British Columbia
You could do the entire wordpress site by yourself in a day or two if you are tech savvy. If not then go ahead and hire someone to do it for you. With a platform like wordpress it would probably be worth it to take the time to set everything up yourself initially so you know how the whole system works. After that go ahead and outsource but at least you'll know what to do if something is wrong with your site and you want it fixed immediately.

Oven

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 31, 2013
For the profile page and social features I suggest you check out buddypress, it already has a lot of the features you mentioned built into it.

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks guys!

Yeah when I think about it, wordpress seems like a good fit because there is nothing to fancy or advanced that will be on it :)

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Thats it? These are all standard wordpres features. install the software and youre in business... Wordpress is actually very fluid. you can use it as a backend for pretty much anything

Paul Gallo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Mar 24, 2011
NYC
Wordpress all the way... I've done custom sites and WP. WP works best for simple sites to test the market and validate your idea.
Don't waste your time or money on custom. You can do that if and when you need it....

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
I'm deciding between wordpress site or HTML, PHP, CSS etc. for my new site.

I actually have a decent amount of experience using wordpress, and know exactly how it works. I wouldn't be able to design a theme from scratch (not fluent enough in php/css) so I would have to hire someone to do that, because I would want a unique theme. Even though my site will pretty much be content (about our services, pictures, video etc.) I will be accepting payments through my website which means I need to make sure my website is the utmost secure. Wordpress is known to have some security issues.... so i need to consider that...

sunny24m

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 3, 2012
United States
If you want to hire for wordpress then hire developers from tekritisoftware.com they are leaders in wordpress & drupal CMS.

HarryR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 21, 2013
NC, USA or traveling
WordPress will probably work for this you need to cope with a much more specific description of what you want the site to be.

Create a list of pages you want the site to have, along with the descriptions for each page. If you want to be really thorough you can sketch out on paper what you want each page to look like. It can be a very rough sketch, even just a wireframe. I usually do this process with new clients, and I can't imagine a freelancer being able to create a site you like without doing this, unless you have very open expectations.

Good luck

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
Hello!

I have this idea of a website I want to give to the people :). The thing Im thinking about is if I should use wordpress as the ground and build a website from there or build it from scratch.

I'm going to hire someone to set up the more difficult parts of the website for me.

The thing is that I imagine it would be easier to manage the website if its on wordpress (more beginner friendly).

What I want the website to do is:

* Have log in/create account
* Have an neewsfeed (if a user writes something it will go to the top of the page)
* Have a profile page
* Have a connection to google maps

Thats like the basic thing that the website will contain. And no, its not another social media site :).

So what do you guys think? Consider I just know the basic about hmtl/css and some php. Could it be easier to just do it in wordpress and manage it there?

Don't build that from scratch. ESPECIALLY if you don't know how to code with a MVC framework, at least well enough to create this within a week or less.

You want to test your idea and validate it with as little investment as possible. Why spend 8 months learning to code a complex (yet actually very simple relatively speaking) site just to test an idea that would probably fail anyway?

You know how groupon got started?

A crappy wordpress site. They actually processed requests for coupons with an email system and did a lot of it by hand.

Go validate the idea with real customers as soon as possible with the simplest, cheapest possible method.

When you KNOW you have a product that sells and will grow, then take that cash and invest in a programmer who can build the real deal for you. Or get a VC.

That's straight out of the Lean Startup. That's the path I would have taken when I got started in all this. It just makes sense to do it this way.

Thats my 2 cents. :)

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
I used WP extensively for about 8 years. Integrated custom code, built themes, built plugins, turned into CMS and datafeed product shopping sites etc. When their code and upgrades became more of a hassle than a useful tool for my needs, I went to custom. I still use it for simple sites and agree it's a great place to start for basic stuff. Be selective with your plugin choices though. Too many are hacked together and can't ride through major upgrades.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.