The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Whooops! Amazon UK Repricer Error - Items for .01

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Shoppers on Amazon UK snapped up expensive items from merchants for just a penny on Friday, but the pricing wasn't part of a sale. Rather, it was due to a glitch in a third-party repricing tool. Some gleeful customers will receive their one-penny bargains, while others will be disappointed to learn their orders have been cancelled. For merchants whose items were shipped before the error was discovered, it feels like the nightmare before Christmas

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y14/m12/i15/s01

What if your entire inventory disappeared in an hour?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
There's no indication how Amazon will respond. As of now, the sellers are just assuming they are screwed.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Unless you have thousands of items (not hundreds, but thousands) there is NO REASON to have the auto repricer turned on. If you are selling items that have significant downward price pressure, don't chase the spiral down. Take the items off Amazon for a while. Either wait for scarcity to increase, or take the items to other channels where recovery prices might be better.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
ouch, that feels like stealing because someone forgot their door open.

After that glitch, the RepricerExpress's homepage statement sounds a lot more "funny":

15769feed374760c976f87202bac0448[1].png

It's ridiculously simple, you could sell everything in your inventory for just 1 penny :p

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Must suck to have to compete on price. Must suck even more to rely on tools to do it. Didnt even know that such tools exist. Must suck even more if those tools fail and wipe out your business. Lots of sucks. :dead:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
We never used that piece of software but did use other software that basically did the same thing. When you have 1000+ stock lines it is too many to keep track of manually so you set minimum and maximum pricing levels and allow the software to respond to competitive price changes and stock levels. It can save you a lot of money. Imagine a competitor attaches themselves to your product, drives the price down then either runs out of stock or puts their price back up. If you don't notice it could be some time before you pick up on the fact losing you decent profits in the meantime.

Of course if you didn't have everyone and their dog attaching themselves to your listing it wouldn't be necessary but that is how Amazon force prices down till their is little to no profit on competitive products while they happily rake in 15%.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
"But some customers were dissatisfied with that response, and some sellers who cancelled the 1-penny orders have already received negative feedback as a result.

Envy Boutique Outlet received 4.5 stars over the past 12 months, but on Friday, it racked up three 1-star reviews. One customer wrote, "Cancelled order with no explanation." A second wrote, "Rip off don't buy from them has they quote one price then cancel your order hopping that you will pay the new price I am now reporting them to fare trading standards as the price you show is the price you pay and shame on amazon for letting it happen." And a third wrote, "My order was cancelled due to the wrong price being set. If that had happened in a shop they would have normally sold it to me for the price they displayed out of courtesy. Not Happy!"

I hate this mentality, The customers OBVIOUSLY knew there was a problem when they ordered their items. Good luck with Trading Standards, they will tell them the vendor does NOT have to honour a pricing error. Neither does a Bricks and Mortar store. If I remember correctly the item has to be paid for first. If it has not yet been paid for the vendor can refuse the sale.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I hate this mentality, The customers OBVIOUSLY knew there was a problem when they ordered their items. Good luck with Trading Standards, they will tell them the vendor does NOT have to honour a pricing error. Neither does a Bricks and Mortar store. If I remember correctly the item has to be paid for first. If it has not yet been paid for the vendor can refuse the sale.

People starve for FREE things, same mentality here!

Last edited by a moderator:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
People starve for FREE things, same mentality here!

Yes I was following your thread and seen it was taken down.

Beats me why people will camp out for days on end to save a few £,$,€. Or to give their hard earned money to Apple. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

GreedyBGoode

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jul 7, 2014
UK
Yes I was following your thread and seen it was taken down.

Beats me why people will camp out for days on end to save a few £,$,€. Or to give their hard earned money to Apple. :confused:

Because Apple got their marketing right when you can't really tell any of these Amazon sellers apart! ;)

The repricer looks like its for the guys with ridiculous amounts of SKUs or selling a common product which they have no control over, then engage in a price war? I don't see why anyone who develops their own product would really want to use a repricer...

Mouse

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Aug 1, 2012
I'm in a Facebook group with a guy who finds all these "deals" and then posts affiliate links to them. He has 41,000 members who jump on these mistakes.

Nomad

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 6, 2013

Yes you are right - this is known as an invitation to treat (or invitation to bargain in the US).

So many 'entitled' people get this wrong - see here for more information:

http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/small_business/business_contracts/500564.html

And for the lazy:

The classic example of an invitation to treat is when a shop owner puts a very low price on a product in the shop window. If you take the item to the counter the shopkeeper does not have to sell it to you. In strict legal terms it is you that makes the offer by offering to buy the product with your money. A shopkeeper who has mistakenly priced a product too cheaply is therefore not obliged to sell at that price.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Can't the sellers sue the repricer company?

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
I've built enough programs that this exact scenario was my first thought when I saw that Amazon offered automatic repricing. I feel sorry for these people, but they gave up control.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.