The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What You Wish You Knew Back Then?

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
Hey guys, my birthdays coming up in a couple months and I'm turning 19.

What are some things you guys wish you knew/did at the humble age of 19 or when you were younger? For education, business, relationships, life in general, etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
First,

Heed a quote of Mark Twain's - "I'm an old man now and I've known a great many troubles, but few of them ever happened."

Second,
when you think you've seen it all, someone will prove you wrong.

Third,
Stopping chasing women and focus on something more productive.

Fourth,
Shitcan all the negative people in your life.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I wish I knew that I didn't know close to what I thought I did and that I should only learn from those that I wish to be like.

I wish I knew to keep my mouth shut and listened more.

I wish I knew the impact that bad decisions have.

I wish I knew that taking a risk and F*cking up is infinitely better than sitting on your thumb and doing nothing.

I wish I knew that there is never a perfect time to do a single thing and that if I EVER want to do something, it needs to be right now, not tomorrow, not next week, not next month, not next year.

I wish I knew a few hundred people on this forum.

I wish I knew Jessica Alba.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Hey guys, my birthdays coming up in a couple months and I'm turning 19.

Happy B-Day :D.

What are some things you guys wish you knew/did at the humble age of 19 or when you were younger? For education, business, relationships, life in general, etc.

1. Education
-Never stop learning. Pick 2 or 3 areas of knowledge and try to know as much about them as possible.
-Read to expand your vocabulary and understanding. This is how you get smarter.
-Think for yourself. Challenge strongly held attitudes and beliefs that most people never shake off despite being 100% wrong.
-We don't live in the "information age" we live in the "entertainment age". The majority doesn't really give a shit about information just Facebook and other time wasting non sense. Knowledge is freely available online and crazy fast to obtain. Take advantage.
-Don't spend a fortune to go to school, these days employers care more about experience. Go if its cheap or free.
-Learn from others. As much as we all like to think that we are super smart, we can really learn from others.
-Try to interconnect all of your knowledge to expand your understanding even more.
-Don't think that you can just hire someone to do something you don't know, you still have to have a basic knowledge of the subject to give some sort of direction.
-If you have a hard time learning something try thinking about it while you work out or before you go to sleep so you can dream about it.
-If you need help just ask.
-Learning is actually a very pleasurable process once you get into the groove.
-You stop learning you stop growing.

2. Business
-Know Finance and Accounting and Marketing really well because a lot of very important "make or break" decisions and processes will come from having knowledge in this area.
-Read TMF :)
-Know how to identify really good business partners or master mind members.
-Focus on VALUE. Forget about all the other mental masturbation such as filing for LLCs, logos, t shirts, mugs, money making. Non of that matters because consumers don't care about any of that, they only care about themselves which means they only care about VALUE.
-Just because you like something doesn't mean consumers will like it.
- Never partner or discuss business with family members. This is business, not a family picnic game.
-Nobody gives a shit how much time and effort you put into your business, everyone only cares about VALUE.
-Hire good people and keep them. Be flexible with them and they will love to work for you.
-Don't be so emotionally connected to your business idea, business comes and goes.
-Always make business decisions based on how hard the competition has to work to keep up.
-Know your numbers.
-its always best to understate than to overstate.
-Business is like chess, stay several steps ahead.
- Don't discount the importance of a good accountant or attorney, these guys can literally save your a$$.
-Develop great communication skills, how can others run your business for you if you can't express what you want accurately? Or how about communicating with a programmer you just spent a shit load of money on? or how about investors? or suppliers or co founders?

3. Relationships
-Associate with those you want to be like.
-Isolate yourself from "others".
-Be happy and have unconditional love.
-Stop being so self conscious, nobody is thinking about you anyways, everyone is preoccupied with themselves and THEIR lives.
-Don't be afraid to express who you really are because nobody minds.
-Its in your benefit to have lots of friends because there will always be a time when a friend will step in to help a lot.
-Take time to notice the small things in others lives, its shows that you care and are paying attention.
-Take time to ask yourself: What kind of relationship do I have with MYSELF?
-If you think about marriage, ask yourself what is the worst conflict that could happen and what are the chances?
-Relationships fail because you stop meeting each others NEEDS.
-Whenever two people have similar NEEDS then you have an amazing relationship because you have something in common.

4. Life in General
- Avoid debt, and keep expenses low because your start up will be capital intensive. Don't even think about buying a "used" luxury car for "motivation" that is 1000% BS, you are gonna end up selling it because you will need the money to dump into your Biz.
- Don't be obsessed too much about the past and future. Take time to enjoy the present.
- Its a crazy a$$ world. Do what you can to protect yourself in terms of legal and money wise. Hire a good attorney. Always do due diligence and never trust your money with anyone.
-Destroy fear by doing what you fear so that your mind can be convinced that its wasn't dangerous in the first place.
-Nobody is making you live the way you live. If you hate your job then quit. If you hate where you live then move.
-Don't waste your time. your present becomes your future. if you neglect the present then you neglect the future.
-Shitty choices=Shitty life.
-Be happy, smile and don't take yourself too seriously.
-Develop excellent communication skills. Communicate like a wild rapid river not like a freaking statue. You are human so use everything that humans can possibly use to communicate.
-Take time to enjoy others things in life while you pursue your dreams.
-You are not as smart as you think you are, trust me, tone it down a little.
-Take time to step away from Entrepreneurship, I know this kinda sounds dumb, but sometimes its helpful to step away and come back with a fresh or new approach.
-If you somehow end up depressed always know that life sometimes isn't what you think it is. Also think of your life as a book or story. Rewrite your story by thinking differently about your future.
-Constantly ask yourself: Is the way I look at life or reality really the best I can do?
-your value doesn't come from the things you have or own they come from your value as a human being.
-Don't you ever F*cken dare blame anyone for your life. If it wasn't your fault then that would mean you could do nothing to change it.

:coolgleamA: Cheers from a college student procrastinating during midterms :icon_super:

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
bump

i came across this quote that really struck me: "We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret or disappointment"-jim rohn

R

redshep

All I've learned since 19:

Give first.

Persistant, methodical hard work cures almost every problem.

Build sound systems (not the music kind.)

Emotional intelligence is more important than IQ.

Measure everything.

Don't settle; make more phone calls, go on more dates, pitch more people, etc.

Everything has a learning curve. We're all terrible at first.

The number of 30, 40, 50+ year-olds who break down and admit they feel like frauds, aren't happy and want to do something honest is staggering. Learn who you are now, what you want to be remembered for, reach out to those already doing it and help them, and just keep doing the work.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Today's Me looking at 19 year old Me

1. If you started in 2011 you would be thinner today, and be normal last year.

2. Don't hand over money to the family unless you're okay losing it.

3. DUMP the OLD FAT MAN in September,2011 not April,2012!!! you're wasting your time with preconceive notions that 'frugality' at the extremes is the best which is why you're spending time with him. He's a waste of time Spend your money, but wisely, but don't penny-pinch when it's going to bite your a$$ when you need it. Go to doctor when infected with disgusting MRSA infection, or else you'll end up with an ugly scar. *** I did dump him, and I'm spending my money these days.... and I have my scars invisible****

and this is real truth,
4. You're a fool... there's nothing that's going to change that... so anything I tell you will probably go one ear to the other because it takes experience to gain wisdom, and you're not going to understand me anyways. But you wouldn't be who you are today if it weren't for what you were in 2011.

it could had been worse...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

This describes TMF and why I wrote it -- it simply was everything I wish I knew at 20, but didn't ... 330+ pages worth.

And here's the great thing about life ... since TMF 's release, I have learned enough new shit to write another 3 books. The wisdom never ends and if it does, you're not living, you're dying.

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
At 19 I was on my way into the US Army. Then, all I knew and was confident of was that I did not want to spend 20 years in the army.

Back then, I wish above all things that I had known the importance of doing right in life for right's sake, even when it cost me. As a result, all things I do today hinges on that one thing -- doing right, going so far as ensuring I do the simple thing of signaling (when I remember) every time I change lanes.

Finally, I wished I had known that all things in this world is a business, from this nation to your state, your city, your school, church, military, hospital, etc. I would be much farther ahead than I am now -- and I learned these things when I learned the importance of doing right... enjoy being 19.

Many choices ahead.

Choose right.

Jason K

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Mar 10, 2013
You have a lot of power at your age, especially over your future. Much more than you probably believe right now.

You have the time now to do information interviews, and find out what kind of tasks you enjoy doing. Find people in fields you're interested in and call them up. Ask to meet with them for 20 minutes to talk about what they do all day. Make sure they know you're doing this to find out about what it's like, not to ask for a job. Do not ask for a job. Don't worry about what the people you call will think: most of them will be flattered. This should save you 5-10 years of work to find out what you enjoy.

Get mentors. Yes, more than one. They're there for the finding. Just ask. Be humble. This too will save you many years of effort.

Volunteer. Could be for your local homeless shelter, could be on a municipal committee, could be at your local theater. Don't let it consume your life, but let it be a part of your life. These experiences, and the people you'll meet, are very valuable...and you usually can't get them at work.

Pick something--a martial art, playing the harmonica, tennis, golf, painting, whatever--and commit to it. Resolve to get good at it no matter how long it takes. After all, you have the rest of your life.

Read, and don't let people make fun of you for it. People who don't read aren't self-educated, and are typically sheep.

Find and learn a learning system. It's what we're supposed to learn in high school, but usually don't. Learn how to learn. There's a process. It begins by becoming interested in a thing. I'm not too interested in biochemistry, but I can tell you if I had to tomorrow, or right this minute, I'd find a reason to get darn interested. And a week later, I really would be interested. This is how you gather and retain information. When you need to gather and use information directed to a purpose, you'll know why.

Eventually you might want to write a book. For some reason, this really helps establish you as a personality. Maybe because not many people take the time to do it.

Look at the world and how it is. Realize you were born into What Is, not What Was. People lived differently, and do live differently, than you. All over the place. Question things. Why do we live this way, and not that? How else could it have turned out? Keep this in mind--your viewpoint, as mine, is just as provincial as the next.

All the money you ever need already exists. It is not currency. That is a representation of money. Know the difference.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
I'm 18. I started working at 12. Didn't become successful til I was 13. I supported a fam. of 5 by 13. There's so much I had to learn at an early age that I know someone that's your age would need/want to know.

Things I've learned that I wish I knew/was taught beforehand.

People will F*ck you over. Not all people. Some people are amazing. Take BP for example, everyone there was genuine. Don't ever let your guns down. Business is F*cking business.

Keep family and business separate.
People will F*ck you over.
Sadly, that includes family.

Save your money. You don't need stupid things. That new 55" TV isn't going to feel great a year from now.

Stop caring what others think.
Learn to love life
, even through the tough shit. I used to be depressed, suffered with my weight for at least 1/2 of my life. Once I said,"F*** what others think, I'm going to be happy"(I literally did say these words), you'll realize that what you truly want in life is what matters. Don't live up to someone's expectations. Exceed yours.

Don't be afraid to F*ck up. You'll learn quicker.

NEVER accept less than what you know you're worth. You may think you're worth less today but NEVER settle for less.
Relationships, business, life in general. Don't be content. Be happy.

Read everyday. Even a chapter or single page. I wish I did this when I was younger.

Do not be afraid to ask a woman out. I started dating pretty young since I matured pretty quickly. If you want something, go after it. The worst they can say is no.

Confidence is only gained through experience. Fake it til you make it.

Again, SAVE YOUR MONEY. Reinvest. Save and reinvest. You're young. Spend the next 5 years living like no one wants to so you can spend the next 60 like everyone wishes they could.
Be aware of every single expenses going out of your accounts.

Do what you're scared of!

Hope this makes sense :)

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
First you are already better off then I was because you have already found this forum. Read as much as you can and take action. If you were like I was at your age you had very little overhead and a little bit on $ went a long way. Go out there and start a business. Start anything and don't worry about how much you will make. If your in college go sell hot dogs at the games or sell stuff at concerts. I used to sell and trade buttons I would make for the band I was seeing to pay for my tickets, trade for beers and food etc. Just go out there and start something, anything. You will learn a ton, make some cash and you might end up with a real winner. Also, if your business starts gaining momentum don't waste your time at parties etc because you feel you are missing out. There are plenty of good times to have in a mid twenties and I can tell you that its a lot more fun with money :)

MooreMillions

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 16, 2008
Atlanta
Listened to my spirit, instead of listening to my parents...I would possibly be worth millions!

However, I am who I am because I listened to my spirit, eventually, and still am on the path to being worth millions!

Always go with what you love, that's all I can say!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Really for me stuff just progressed. I find my self so much smarter than I was at 19 and it was not very long ago. I thought I was.damn smart too. Just keep seeking wisdom from everyone, everything and most importantly every experience you can.

I just had to establish some credability today on a presentation im putting together. In my mind im like "F*ck none of these people will get it" but I started hammering it out. Over the past 5-6 years I have started multiple businesses and have learned and experienced myself in a management role, logistics, sales, sourcing, supply chain management, outsourcing, internet business, legal, taxes, hiring, firing, finance, capitalization, structuring deals with strategic partners and then I realized how much these years have been worth to me. Dont let it go by without experiences like this.

D

DeletedUser394

Don't spend all your money. If you make a dollar, treat it as if you had .50c or less. Invest the rest.

What people think of you and your 'status' level amongst your peers doesn't mean shit.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Another one:

Stick to your F*cking word.

Boom. I know many people who dont understand this one. They get little respect from me when they repeatedly ignore their word.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Stick to your F*cking word.

I know a guy that is too abrasive and direct for most people. He has few close friends and quite a few people who can't stand to be in the same room as him.

Despite this, everyone who knows him trusts every word out of his mouth solely because he has a long history of keeping his word, even at his own expense. He arrives when he says he will arrive, does what he says he will do, when he says he will do it, and if some "Act of God" gets in his way he is on the phone that minute letting you know what has changed and his suggested solution to the problem.

On the flip side I know a guy who is almost universally liked. A real life of the party. I don't know anyone who hates this guy. However, even his closest friends wouldn't trust him to feed a goldfish.

Your word is a powerful tool. Respect it and even the people who can't stand you will trust your promises. Disrespect it, and not even your closest friends will take you seriously.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have only dropped a few friends in my life. One of them was a guy that was perpetually late. He signaled the significance of my time with disregard. Eventually, I disregarded his life. Completely.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.