The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

what you think about SOPA/PIPA ?

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
please dont post anything political :)

what is happening right now is scandalous and horrible for something that should be "the land of the free"... as someone said earlier.

but don't give anyone the means to shut this Thread down also.

so just dont post anything political or otherwise offtopic.

SOPA/PIPA thats the topic.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Iqen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 28, 2011
Wow, I'm surprised that Congress actually pulled the bill. I can't remember the last time I've seen that. These big online companies have massive reach as opinion leaders

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
I am pleased that the bill was pulled. The answer is that we have to become big in order to have influence. Some heavy hitters opposing it sure did the trick.

Mind you this will only gain some time as I guarantee they will try this again and again but next time they will hide it in an otherwise unimportant bill and pass it without enough time for anyone to oppose it. Vigilance is they key.

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
Here I was trying to do start a internet business. Who knows what could happen now...might have to rethink for a bit. I'm against SOPA by the way. I won't lie though, it could definitely weed out the garbage on the internet.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
I have a feeling that rockefellers interest in facebook(he sits on the board) was a big reason this bill was taken down. The elites control the government, not the other way around.

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
@speedyexe

Thanks Man, this is EPIC in so many ways!

I just hope the "status quo" dont destroy all of this, including the founders :)

and I liked how they named "german hackers"... and not amazing engineers want to bring true free internet to all...

"true free internet to all..."as a Metallica fan loool and a marketing major, that title would work as something to sell papers,or news... for sure but somehow the main news agency's dismissed it right?

cool video :)

Ivan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 22, 2011
I think we need to watch out for "compromise bills" at this point.
Here's what I've noticed about governments taking away freedom:

Step 1: propose legislation that does 150%-300% of what you actually want (if you want to raise taxes by 1%, threaten to raise them by 3%)
Step 2: people are outraged, etc. Let them be mad about it for a while.
Step 3: withdraw proposed legislation
Step 4: after the hype cools down, propose what you originally wanted. People will most likely think "At least it's not as bad as the first bill!" and not fight it enough to stop it.

This system gives the government what they want (usually more control, more money, and more control of the money) and it also makes people feel like they are doing something.

Whether it's taking away freedoms, raising taxes, or raising govt spending, I've observed the strategy to be the same. I first noticed the pattern when I was reading my history textbook in high school. I doubt many of the other students saw it. This tactic has been used for centuries, so it's nothing new. Saw it with the healthcare bill too (taxpayer-funded abortions? Yeah right).

On the bright side, this means the American people have influence over what the government does. I came from a communist country, and believe me, America is still very free :)

LarryB

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 20, 2012
More dangerous than it might appear

The little hidden "GOTCHA" in the SOPA language is in regards to the "protection" of copyrighted material, which in typical government speak will boil down to a government agency assigned the job of doing the protecting. As if that were not a big enough problem, the real gotcha comes in the language of copyright laws which now state that EVERYTHING, the moment it is recorded....digitally, on paper, on CD, or DVD, in any means whatsoever, is copyrighted even though it is not officially registered. This would give the government free reign to censor anything it deemed you should not hear, read, or watch. The first act of a totalitarian government is to curtail or at least severely limit the flow of information to and between the masses- hence, Soviet state-run newspapers, the blocking of the internet in China or Libya when revolts break out. Heck, we nearly have state run television media now! SOPA, which appears so righteous and benign on the surface, is VERY dangerous.

NJDonny89

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 2, 2012
NJ
The other important thing is that they are going to try and launch a "SOPA" like bill on the back of another bill. Did you notice that news did not talk a single thing about SOPA until the web had a blackout day. The fact of the matter is they played for the bigger pocket. Google + FB + LinkedIn + Craigslist contribute far more than the Motion Picture Industry

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
more than anything the "blackout" gave the people a framework on how to make demands to the government.

ows, several strikes, activism, voting.... nothing worked, the only thing that work with this people is the same weapon that they use with us "fear", the senators pulled the bill because of fear... and thus giving us , the people a way to make the government actually represent the people. :)

this is a great victory to the people. this open a real nice precedent to work with :)

Iqen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 28, 2011
I think we need to watch out for "compromise bills" at this point.
Here's what I've noticed about governments taking away freedom:

Step 1: propose legislation that does 150%-300% of what you actually want (if you want to raise taxes by 1%, threaten to raise them by 3%)
Step 2: people are outraged, etc. Let them be mad about it for a while.
Step 3: withdraw proposed legislation
Step 4: after the hype cools down, propose what you originally wanted. People will most likely think "At least it's not as bad as the first bill!" and not fight it enough to stop it.

This system gives the government what they want (usually more control, more money, and more control of the money) and it also makes people feel like they are doing something.

Whether it's taking away freedoms, raising taxes, or raising govt spending, I've observed the strategy to be the same. I first noticed the pattern when I was reading my history textbook in high school. I doubt many of the other students saw it. This tactic has been used for centuries, so it's nothing new. Saw it with the healthcare bill too (taxpayer-funded abortions? Yeah right).

On the bright side, this means the American people have influence over what the government does. I came from a communist country, and believe me, America is still very free :)

Interesting... and it also seems like a good way to wear out the opposition unless they want to act like protesters for the long haul (which would be very hard using full scale blackouts)

I know most of you guys are against this bill. The fight is not over yet!

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
of course the fight is not over, this is only a move on the overall board.

what changed is that one of the sides found a effective way of contra attack .

plain and simple. if they continue with their repeating tactics of 3 steps to pass the censorship a bad play.. since is very repetitive and thous, easy to predict, the other side can just do the same: blackout since it works and its a new found weakness, playing with the public view on this topic forcing to be way more stealthy on the new actions.

Anyway, lets stay in tune for the new episodes :)

I have a feeling that in the next few days alot will be decided.

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
My last post was based on Game theory, models, for example the movie beautiful mind, was based on this.

Game theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

anyway:
Internet wins: SOPA and PIPA both shelved

Internet wins: SOPA and PIPA both shelved.

they will try to pass other forms of rules.... so they can censor internet. right now they are trying to play the "fear" card with megaupload, quite a trojan horse for more to come, but not really anything they can do since most people can just put the address( http://109.236.83.66/) and access megaupload, this was demonstrated also with the piratebay novel... big drama but in the end, piratebay its on line and if not, there's plenty to choose from.. Internet power!

so far so good :)

we dont need any government to tell us what to do, anyone in that matter ;)

they are just a bunch of bankers trying to hold on , at the old model of biz.

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
Aldo they told us that the censorship of the internet bill didn't passed...

I found at least 3 websites that I normally use that are down.....

example:

This account has been suspended.
Either the domain has been overused, or the reseller ran out of resources.

I feel like they have the money to pay for all the PR they want... and in the same time continue to censor as they please.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
*Latest Internet Privacy Bill You Should Be Concerned With*

PCFIPA - HR1981

Looks like it has good intent to keep minors safe, however, the overreaching part of this bill is that your internet service provider is required to log ALL of your online activity for 18 MONTHS!

It appears that this part of the bill would be a violation of the 4th Amendment, Unlawful Search And Seizures, because of the rulings on recent Supreme Court privacy abuse cases, such as Katz v. United States and United States v. Antoine Jones, but you can decide for yourself.

If you feel that this bill should not be passed, be sure to contact your state representatives and let them know.
:tiphat:

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
Hey Thanks,

I think that all people using internet for their biz should care about this censorship of the internet.

In fact everybody that uses internet, thanks to that we can use the forum right ? :) imagine if they take this forum down.

Anyway, I dont think our "representatives" represent anything more than old models.

Governments are breaking their own laws and thats just not right :)

Im always for freedom, maybe Im wrong, I just dont like censhorship.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Anyway, I dont think our "representatives" represent anything more than old models.

The job of our elected officials is to represent their constituents, but if you don't write, email, call, or meet with them to tell them how you would like them to vote on an issue, then you have no voice in the matter.

It's kind of like the guy that complains how his city / state / country is being run, but when you ask him who he voted for, he says "I don't vote".

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
fair enough, I agree with you, one should vote.

that being said, I didn't advise to not vote.

All Im saying is I dont want censorship of the internet.

Some say that the representatives are there to obey to their lobbys. The old biz models dont want people adapting and using existing technological to make their biz, and NO Im not advising to someone breaking the law.

I dont think the representatives care about either their usa citizens or otherwise the overall population of earth that are affected by their laws... but that's just my opinion, I dont even think there's such a thing as democracy at least is this days...

anyway, Im always for freedom, maybe Im wrong, I just dont like censhorship.

I do care about the internet since is my main vehicle for the fastlane (as most people in this forum), so for me the big question is why conform??? or try to be advocate of the devil (censorship)?

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
Big Brother is out of control!

The Past, Present and Future of Internet Censorship.

[video=youtube;spapXznZf4I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spapXznZf4I&feature=player_embedded[/video]

ACTA as already been signed.

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
[video=youtube;citzRjwk-sQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=citzRjwk-sQ[/video]

This is not only about internet after all.

ACTA Passed.

max momo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 15, 2008
California
Stop SOPA

When we notified Go Daddy that we were withdrawing the 8 domains we had registered with them, they sent a note. The note in effect stated that they were hopeful a better draft bill would be introduced. Of course, that was a bald faced lie since they had supported the existing bill. We moved all our domains and now use Dreamhost.

By the time thousands of others moved away from Go Daddy they belatedly backed away from supporting the bill (at least in public).

Glad to see firms like Go Daddy and Netflix take it up the gas pipe, immediately, when they deserve such.

The reality is that the bill will be re-introduced every year until it passes.

All that can be done within the current framework is delay and weaken.

max momo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 15, 2008
California
To the point, SOPA and ACTA are old news.

Right NOW - this week - reps from nine countries are meeting this week, unreported by the MSM, in Beverly Hills. They are negotiating the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement, which will further tighten the electronic noose. You haven't even heard of this, but YOU WILL COMPLY.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.