The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What were some of the Sacrifices you had to make?

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
I really mean sacrifice in a negative way; friends and ESPECIALLY significant others have caused me to make irrational decisions in the past; and I consider myself difficult to influence. Some of the people I know have really suffered because they wanted to "keep" their unsupportive boy/girlfriend.

I think Gabeseg couldn't even enjoy his trip to Italy because it was against his values to blow away so many hours of work for leisure instead of investing it towards a more comfortable future. To his girlfriend it was probably 'normal' to spend heavily for leisure. Different perceptions about money.

I think the problem is we get too attached to the people we are close to and fear "losing" them because of all the time, energy and emotions we invested in those relationships.
We fail to see the other side's viewpoint. Maybe they fear losing us too, and will accept our decision if we push through and show our determination. And if they really WILL leave us for trying to make ourselves better-off, then it's not conducive to a long-term relationship.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Spending time with my family and friends has never been a sacrifice for me.

Speaking for myself I don't see how wanting to spend time with a loved one is more important than money. Money is easy enough to come by as it is, but love and connection are a lot harder.

Best regards.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I think Gabeseg couldn't even enjoy his trip to Italy because it was against his values to blow away so many hours of work for leisure instead of investing it towards a more comfortable future. To his girlfriend it was probably 'normal' to spend heavily for leisure. Different perceptions about money.

this is exactly my point. gabeseg did sacrifice. he felt the guilt and this should have been his guide that he was making a decision against his values. but he fell to the whims of his gf. for her, there was no sacrifice. she valued the leisure more than the future financial freedom that the investments may have provided.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
Spending time with my family and friends has never been a sacrifice for me.

Speaking for myself I don't see how wanting to spend time with a loved one is more important than money. Money is easy enough to come by as it is, but love and connection are a lot harder.

Best regards.
I agree with you. That's the point, really; true love doesn't require spending hard-earned money on a vacation when you're still financially dependent. It's stupid to throw a fit because your significant other doesn't want to splurge. That's not love. That's, at the best, ignorance, and at the worst, manipulation.

Neon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 22, 2011
It's really important to find someone who shares your values and doesn't expect to be pampered even when times are tough.

I got married when I was 21 and my wife always wanted more and better even though we were totally broke. She ended up leaving me for another guy in less than a year and took all my savings, car, etc.

After that I became pretty bitter about finding someone but eventually that tempered itself and I made smart choices about women. I dated tons of women and despite how beautiful they were I would usually only make it a few dates if I didn't think they were a good match for me.

I eventually got remarried and we've been together 7 years now and she is 100% onboard with my crazy lifestyle. I've been running my own businesses the entire time and with her help we created a business that generated 7 figures in revenue and gave us a 6 figure income.

Last year I got sick- really sick, like spending weeks in the hospital multiple times sick. We ended up with massive medical expenses and it hurt the business as well. Despite the fact that our life isn't as cushy as it was before I got ill she stood by me and now we are in the process of rebuilding to make our businesses even better.

I can't think of anything more important than having a spouse who believes in you and works with you.

Capital Life

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 8, 2010
Lincoln Il
With that said, I have never made a sacrifice (at least that I remember).

Each choice I have made has been the right choice and inline with my current values at that time.

Wow, I truly wish that I could say the same. Right now I sacrifice Monday - Saturday 6AM to 6-8 PM with my family for a job that is only slightly more than "endurable" and $50K/yr to pay the bills and have my wife (and I when I am home) raise our daughter. I would walk away from our home, car, job, etc. to spend the time I want with them. Unfortunately, that would be more painful than sticking it out and creating a lifestyle of passive income to replace this J.O.B.

Capital Life

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 8, 2010
Lincoln Il
Gabeseg, I had a girlfriend once that was the same way as your girl. She wanted me to blow all my hard earned money on shopping and stupid stuff. We are now married and on the same page. At the time I agreed with her. We were both sidewalkers and somehow we both transitioned to slowlaners and now agree with the fastlane mentality. I just finished the book, so that's not tested yet, but soon I will have a fastlane business idea in the works and we can really see how our relationship has turned out. I suspect very strong.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Wow, I truly wish that I could say the same.

If you read the entire post, I doubt you are truly sacrificing. It seems you value your family's well being more than your desire the leave the job. There is nothing wrong with that. We must all take care of our families.

I understand you would 'rather' not work in this environment, but the thought of doing what is necessary today for the betterment of tomorrow outweighs the negative.

Every entrepreneur and investor has to endure pain from time to time to reach their goals. I never said I didn't ever endure pain.

When I was 22, I had just started my company and took home a whopping $8k. I was married for a year and had a few month old daughter. That was rather painful.

But it was not a sacrifice. I did what I had to do to provide for the family I cared about.

Capital Life

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 8, 2010
Lincoln Il
Every entrepreneur and investor has to endure pain from time to time to reach their goals. I never said I didn't ever endure pain.

Yeah, I guess it's easier to see the difference in someone else life and situation, but when it's your own it's more difficult to differentiate between sacrifice and pain.

Thanks!

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Excess money and lack of money can both blind equally.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.