The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Top 27 priority book list. Which ones should I read next

For any book discussion

Patz

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Nov 18, 2014
There are so many sources on books to read that it is quite difficult to narrow it down to a condensed list.
Here is a list of books I have gathered together from many sources, they are all well reviewed on amazon and across forums. The underlined books are the ones I have already read.

I plan on reading them all but need to prioritize them. Since I can't read 24 books at a time, please advise on which one you would read next

Thanks!!

The four-hour workweek

The Millionaire Fastlane
"The Art of the Start"
Choose Yourself!
The Tipping Point
How to win at the sport of business
Zero to One
Let My People Go Surfing
The E-Myth Revisited
Start with Why
Outliers: The Story of Success
The $100 startup
How To Win Friends and Influence People
The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur
Getting to yes
Rework
Delivering Happiness
Think and Grow Rich
The Art of War
The 48 Laws of Power
Getting Things Done
The Alchemist
Crush it!
Good to Great
Awaken the Giant Within
The Power of Habit
How to get rich - Felix Dennis

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

joocenasty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 30, 2013
how to get rich by felix dennis is probably one of my favorites books ever but I'm not successful yet so dont quote me

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
What have you done since reading the first 4 books?

If you can't answer, then go do something instead of reading another book.
If you can answer, then TMF .

Testament

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 11, 2013
San Francisco, CA
If you're not taking some kind of action that builds on whatever you're reading, 95% of what you're learning through text is going to leave your brain almost immediately. I usually go with 1 hour of putting my knowledge to use for every 2 hours I read about something, otherwise you'll develop a glut of information and there'll be so much that your brain won't be able to put it to any kind of practical use.

Disregard of course if you are taking action. :)

And definitely get on reading TMF .

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
It depends on where you are with your business right now and what you want to achieve.

If it was me starting from scratch I would read The Millionaire Fastlane . That would straighten out my head. Then I would look at how best I could serve others by identifying and fulfilling their needs and wants in a Fastlane environment.

Once I had found a market, created a plan and started to ACTION it I would analyse my strengths, weaknesses and desires and then choose books that were appropriate to MY needs. For example if my desire was to build a business that I could run on an hour or two a day from practically anywhere in the world I would read Tim Ferriss T4HWW.

If I had procrastination issues I would read Eat That Frog (Brian Tracy) or The Power of Habit, Getting Things Done, or The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People (Stephen R. Covey)

If motivation was my weakness I would read Awaken the Giant Within and some of the Progress Threads in here. Also Think and Grow Rich is probably a must read.

Only YOU can decide the best order to read the books you have listed as only YOU know YOU.

Just remember there are hundreds of thousands of people out there that read all these business related books and never move forward and start a business of their own. 'The timing is not quite right', 'I just need a little more knowledge', 'I am saving up', etc. etc. etc. Armchair Entrepreneurs.

IMHO the best education you can have is rolling up your sleeves and getting stuck in. The Millionaire Fastlane will give you plenty to get you up and running in the right direction.

AlanJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 15, 2014
I would recommend reading The 48 Laws of Power and The 50th Law by Robert Greene. Both incredibly valuable books, make sure you read them thoroughly and underline things to really take the message to heart.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
Did you seriously not read The Millionaire Fastlane yet?
THIS!
Felix Dennis HTGR, mentioned by joecenasty comes 2nd for me also.

Both TMF and HTGR pretty much cover the same concepts, once youve read both youll feel you know enough to start digging into the technicalities of what you need to do (building a prototype, or website, marketing etc).

MJ goes more in-depth, gives a lot of great advice for life in general, offers more actionable strategies and is up to date with the lastest technologies (internet) and is my #1 favourite book :)

Last edited:

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
Personally, I recommend reading books by and about people who started businesses. Not this philosophical/theoretical stuff.

Read books about people who put it on the line and did something.

I'd for sure recommend FLMillionaire first - as far as a "how to think correctly book" - it's really great. A books, you'll see how much is already incorporated in it.

My favorites:
Peterman Rides Again
Wild Company
The Republic of Tea (something like that - by the Wild Company people)

These are all about retailers, but they take you through the process of an entrepreneur starting w/an idea - all the way through to a business.

Most importantly - try and fail yourself a couple of times. You can learn a lot that way.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I think that list is fine, I have read most of that list. The problem is the majority of those are mindset books. You need to move from the mindset stuff to the actionable.

Win friends and influence is a good one that starts working its way into management a little bit. Definately a must.

The MLF is a must read when you are on this forum... It is referenced all the time.

Delivering happiness is a good one about building something from scratch and keeping your sanity. It will help you think bigger too.

The art of the start is a good help when trying to get funded by VC.

Read those and get back to us.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Where are you in your entrepreneurial journey?

Do you have a business yet? An idea? A rough direction?

I've read a bunch of those books and while they do go into a lot of great stuff, you shouldn't consider reading to be "doing something" either. I used to read everything under the sun, now I try to fashion my reading more to practical skillsets: copywriting books, marketing books, etc...

In any case, here's my 2 cents on your list from what I've read (books you've read removed):

The Millionaire Fastlane - How have you not read this yet? Really? Go read it. This is "the" book for people to cut their teeth on. Broken down to "sidewalk" (aimless paycheck to paycheck), "slowlane" (normal, save for retirement) and "fastlane" (starting a scalable business you can retire on). In my opinion this book will ruin the 9-5 mindset of anyone who reads it.

Choose Yourself! - Fun book, I find the author a bit depressing. Has some good ideas on how to get started, get out of a funk, start again, and the way the world is heading and your place in that world.

The Tipping Point - All of Gladwell's books are fascinating. I wouldn't call them entrepreneur's books by any stretch but he's a great author who writes about fun experiments and psychology.

The E-Myth Revisited - The benefits of looking at any business like a franchise. If this book has one topic to drill into your head it's "consistency is key".

Outliers: The Story of Success - See Tipping Point. Fascinating more than useful.

Getting to yes - Read it in College. This and "difficult conversations" are highly praised and I enjoyed reading them. I believe they both had lots of "you can do this today" kind of information in them but it's been forever.

Think and Grow Rich - I consider this a historical text. I don't see why it is so highly praised today when there are better books on the same subject (Millionaire Fastlane HANDEDLY replaces it, IMHO)

The 48 Laws of Power - Fascinating book with fascinating stories, a little to ruthless to be practical (for me).

Getting Things Done - The only truly valuable thing in this book is "if it takes less than 5 minutes to do, do it now." Ignore the rest of this ridiculously over-complicated organization book. Sounds like it was written for a generation of paper-pushers who were on the verge of being crushed under the weight of all the physical paper around them.

The Power of Habit - Fascinating, not terrible useful. Much like Gladwell's books.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
TMF
Thou Shall Prosper

Those 2 will get your head right

From there on, don't just consume information. Books are tools - use the information to produce.

I call it "just in time learning". You should be 80% doing, 20% learning.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'd like to add Quiet as a must read for introverts who are struggling to deal with an extroverted world. Thought it was very helpful in understanding myself better. Book is incredibly detailed with research. Current books in the queue are the last two INSIDERS giveaways, The Motivation Manifesto and Thou Shall Prosper.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I LOVED "Zero to One".

It was so great, that I will probably just re-read it again in the next month or so.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Ready, Fire, Aim by Masterson is my favorite business book. It should be top of your list, IMO.

The Millionaire Fastlane should be up there as well. Would be a great intro to Ready, Fire, Aim.

yuri

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 1, 2014
I'd also add Losing My Virginity by Branson & The Startup of You by Hoffman.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
If you don't like it I'll buy your hard co**. :)

you'll buy my wat wat??

I'm not buying a hard copy, i never finish books that I start reading in hard copy because i always lose or misplace them. My kindle stays in my car/backpack so it's always there when i have time to read.

I'm guessing it's never been in kindle format??

Kri$

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 29, 2013
Besides TMF I would recommend Choose Yourself by James Altucher and his blog=pure gold.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
"Thick Face, Black Heart".

This book helped me the most on my path in entrepreneurship.

It almost covers everything.

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
"Thick Face, Black Heart".

This book helped me the most on my path in entrepreneurship.

It almost covers everything.
I love this book

No kindle version, what a bummer
I'm the opposite, Kindle books, even though I read them when I have to... I find them unpleasant to read, so I end up reading them slower because I get tired of it and "close" them. Paperback or Hardcover I can read no problem... Love the touch of the paper.

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
Read Winning with people by John C. Maxwell instead of How To Win Friends and Influence People much more valuable and much more modern book.

Read Laws Of Success instead of Think and Grow Rich infact go on google on look out for notes just a couple of pages maybe 5 pages much better than reading the whole damn book

Good to Great instead read Beyond Entrepreneurship by James C. Collins much more practical book and useful book

Read Release Your Brakes by James Newman instead of tony robbins

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.