The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To Outsource or Not to Outsource?

App88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Dec 12, 2021
For aspiring entrepreneurs with a little start up capital like myself there is only one way to get started - learn, take actions and pivot but I've always wondered what approach do entrepreneurs with little more capital take?

I would like some opinions based on personal experiences or knowledge on the hypothetical situation below:

So, you've got $100k - $200k in liquid capital burning a hole in your pocket, and you're eager to dive into the world of direct-to-consumer (D2C) e-commerce or any startup.

Now, the question arises: should you outsource everything from branding, web design, and marketing, or should you keep things in-house and become an expert at least in some skill sets?

I understand even if you outsource everything you need to have a basic understanding to effectively manage your vendors. The question is, if you have a larger capital what would your approach be to start a brand from ground up? Would you spend money instead of learning a skill?
How would you strike a balance?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I would NOT spend 100-200k on your first business because it will most likely fail.

Better set aside most of it and bootstrap.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Would you spend money instead of learning a skill?
You need to have at least a basic understanding of everything that's going on in your business, otherwise:
  • You will not know who to hire and why.
  • You will get scammed by your overpriced employees.
  • You will fail to manage the system effectively if you don't have the first clue of what's going on "on the ground"

The good news is that you can learn the basics of any skill in less than 50 hours.

I might be wrong in this assumption, but I believe that the best managers have at one point been janitors in their business. You cannot outsmart someone who has hands-on experience.

And to answer the question in the title:

No outsource = no real business. You're just creating a job for yourself.

You can only work for about 10 hours a day, give or take.

But if you hire 10 people, you're now working 100 hours in 24 hours. Magic! :bulb:

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
The question is, if you have a larger capital what would your approach be to start a brand from ground up? Would you spend money instead of learning a skill?
$100-200k is not a lot for Ecom and is basically a container or 2 of inventory plus a year’s salary for yourself (if you’re jumping in full time).

Do everything yourself and run the business as if you had $0. Hire when you have sales.

App88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Dec 12, 2021
$100-200k is not a lot for Ecom and is basically a container or 2 of inventory plus a year’s salary for yourself (if you’re jumping in full time).

Do everything yourself and run the business as if you had $0. Hire when you have sales.
True. It's definitely wise to spend after you have sales depending how the sales are.
However, that primarily applies to customer service and to an extent cost of goods.
Essentials prior to launch such as branding, packaging, web design and initial marketing does require some capital.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Forget the money.

That’s the benefit of having it, you don’t have to worry about it.

Focus on the system. A business is made up of logical premises that support why it’s a good business. You have to prove the basics and figure them out and then you go from there.

Run the numbers, make benchmarks, and go about proving each premise as quickly as possible.

1. Can the workers do the work?
2. Can you get the customers for an acceptable CAC?
3. Can you hit a target gross profit margin?
Etc.

This isn’t done with money it’s done with action and giving your attention to the business.

Then, as you build, you can grow it a bit quicker. If you can get customers, have the employees work, and everything’s nice, but you want to ramp up ads and make more money, go ahead and throw a chuck of your savings at that, only when you have proven a few key premises true first to support why this is a good business.

As far as getting started, everyone seems to find a way to allocate each dollar even when they don’t need to.

You should buy a domain and get a quick Wordpress site up this afternoon, get a Google business listing if relevant, get a free crm, and start doing business. Whatever you need it probably isn’t much.

Nowadays if I want to start something up I can make something look like a pro company with a website, online presence, business phone line and a pro IVR menu, hooked up to a 24/7 answering service with scripts and booking software. All within a day. Emails are all “____@companydomain.com”, and all that stuff. I have Facebook ads people to manage accounts. If I want someone to film an ad video I have a guy who does UGC videos. Anything else you can get some person on fiverr to whip it up in a day. If I need a program I’m friends with a tech startup guy who went to Oxford and can whip me up some python script.

It’s all about speed. Always be fast. Get your shit to market quick, get feedback quick, make money quick. Money loves speed.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
Forget the money.

Focus on the system. A business is made up of logical premises that support why it’s a good business. You have to prove the basics and figure them out and then you go from there.

Run the numbers, make benchmarks, and go about proving each premise as quickly as possible.

Etc.

This isn’t done with money it’s done with action and giving your attention to the business.

Then, as you build, you can grow it a bit quicker. If you can get customers, have the employees work, and everything’s nice, but you want to ramp up ads and make more money, go ahead and throw a chuck of your savings at that, only when you have proven a few key premises true first to support why this is a good business.

As far as getting started, everyone seems to find a way to allocate each dollar even when they don’t need to.

You should buy a domain and get a quick Wordpress site up this afternoon, get a Google business listing if relevant, get a free crm, and start doing business. Whatever you need it probably isn’t much.

Nowadays if I want to start something up I can make something look like a pro company with a website, online presence, business phone line and a pro IVR menu, hooked up to a 24/7 answering service with scripts and booking software. All within a day. Emails are all “____@companydomain.com”, and all that stuff. I have Facebook ads people to manage accounts. If I want someone to film an ad video I have a guy who does UGC videos. Anything else you can get some person on fiverr to whip it up in a day. If I need a program I’m friends with a tech startup guy who went to Oxford and can whip me up some python script.

It’s all about speed. Always be fast. Get your shit to market quick, get feedback quick, make money quick. Money loves speed.
Johnny I'm not the OP but thanks for being so consistent with this message man. I need it. I keep going down technical rabbit holes just launching my own SAAS and need these kicks in the butt.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023
For aspiring entrepreneurs with a little start up capital like myself there is only one way to get started - learn, take actions and pivot but I've always wondered what approach do entrepreneurs with little more capital take?

I would like some opinions based on personal experiences or knowledge on the hypothetical situation below:

So, you've got $100k - $200k in liquid capital burning a hole in your pocket, and you're eager to dive into the world of direct-to-consumer (D2C) e-commerce or any startup.

Now, the question arises: should you outsource everything from branding, web design, and marketing, or should you keep things in-house and become an expert at least in some skill sets?

I understand even if you outsource everything you need to have a basic understanding to effectively manage your vendors. The question is, if you have a larger capital what would your approach be to start a brand from ground up? Would you spend money instead of learning a skill?

I would at first, market-test the product. The market's response to your product will be the deciding factor.

I would like some opinions based on personal experiences

Sales are everything!

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023
Forget the money.

Etc.

You literally gave OP a manual to start and run a business. LOL.

He was just here asking opinions on the "Hypothetical" situation and you left him with no excuse to post another "hypothetical situation" thread!

You actually gave him Gold, if he understands the value of it!

Last edited:

App88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Dec 12, 2021
Forget the money.

Etc.

Thank you Johnny!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.