The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

That's it I'm moving out

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I ain't going to waste anyone's time here by writing a novel that nobody will read anyway.

Sir, it's the 6th of September. If you are absolutely committed to finding your own happiness and a more positive environment to thrive in, there is no reason at all for you to not have a new place lined up for October 1st.

You can start off with just a room in a decent area. Build from there. If moving your stuff is a hassle, sell it all and rent furnished, or even just leave it behind as it is part of your old life.

Your situation is the most important thing to you. You do have that housing issue now (which is significant), but it's a quick and easy fix. Where and how you live really is a big deal. Your life can change drastically when you a hold a key to your own place.

I come across as an a**hole a lot, but that's because I put myself first. My happiness is more important than what other people think of me.

I left on bad terms. I decided I'd had enough, and 4 hours later I was gone. For about 2 weeks I was 'homeless' while I searched for my own place. Lived in hotels for a while, and when that got to be too expensive I put two office chairs together and slept on those in my office.

Put happiness first. Life is way too short to be in a bad situation in life. Many things you can't control, but this you certainly can.

I thankfully do not have many possessions. Electric Piano, guitar, clothes and that's it. Ill let my mom keep the nice computer... i backup my business work on the cloud.

I'd totally help her move stuff when she inevitably has to find a new apartment as well, we have hundreds of books.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I got a big issue.

About 2-3 months ago my mother and I signed a new 2 year lease for the apartment we currently live in, after out initial 1 year lease expired, and this was before i really decided i need to move out. I am cosigner with my mom.

This apartment is not a regular one. I'm not sure what this type of apartment is called but basically people pay to apply to this apartment. The rent is way below market prices, a 2 bedroom with backyard for 1100 a month in brooklyn new york. There must be 3 tenants and the combined income has to not be over 44k. We qualified because its myself, my mother and brother, and i earn 32k gross and the child support my mother gets is 12k annually, so just hits the 44k limit.

Apparently this apartment was vacant for almost a year and the landlord made money from the application fees. I think the landlord gets some kind of tax breaks or something from having this kind of apartment available for rent?

How can i break the just signed 2 year lease for this apartment before signing a new lease for a different apartment. There's no way i can be responsible for 2 apartments, i don't have that kind of money and i'll be in serious debt.

I have absolutely no experience with any of this crap, just looking for some advice.

ALSO, this week we're getting some kind of routine visit from management to check the state of the apartment, and on wednesday we have to go to the management office with bills, proof of income, etc to show that we're still qualified for the apartment or something along those lines. My mom said not to talk about any plans at the meeting tomorrow so that we don't raise any alarms and management starts checking up on us all the time.

How can i terminate the lease while still giving me time to set up the new apartment with my friends? This situation feels kind of ridiculous... i was so happy too to finally get out of here... i found like 15 potential apartments and was going to meet up with my friends later to discuss everything... and now i feel F*cking trapped for 2 years.

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Do you plan on entering into any contracts in business?
giphy.gif

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Do you plan on entering into any contracts in business?

I know what you're getting at...however at the time signing the lease was the rational choice.
Now circumstances have changed and I want out. I'm wondering if it can be done.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I know what you're getting at...however at the time signing the lease was the rational choice.
Now circumstances have changed and I want out. I'm wondering if it can be done.
Yes, but it should cost you. You want out for convenience.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Yes, but it should cost you. You want out for convenience.

Yes of course i understand. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it right and avoid unnecessary problems. I have 0 experience with this stuff.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
In my experience writing a contract for an apartment means you live up to the terms you agreed with and if you don't you end up going to court and paying fees etc. Even my brother's girlfriend just moved out a few months back, and still he had to come up with the money to pay it and stay until the lease was up. I doubt the court will rule in your favor just because you changed your mind. I guess call a lawyer and ask what you can do.

Did you already sign the new apartment contract?

I suppose you better wait until you have your meeting and see if you're still qualified, and I'd listen to your mother, and than take the information to a lawyer.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
In my experience writing a contract for an apartment means you live up to the terms you agreed with and if you don't you end up going to court and paying fees etc. Even my brother's girlfriend just moved out a few months back, and still he had to come up with the money to pay it and stay until the lease was up. I doubt the court will rule in your favor just because you changed your mind. I guess call a lawyer and ask what you can do.

Did you already sign the new apartment contract?

I suppose you better wait until you have your meeting and see if you're still qualified, and I'd listen to your mother, and than take the information to a lawyer.

we are definitely still qualified, our financial situation has not changed.
I'm wondering if it would be possible to agree to early termination and pay a fee.

Otherwise... ill just have to get rich off my apps... i see no way out.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Umm...from listening to few videos breaking a lease early is a few months before the end of the lease not two years to go.
There's a website they show in this video that has all the laws of states.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Sorry...this is funny hearing the excuses people make to get out of releases.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Umm...from listening to few videos breaking a lease early is a few months before the end of the lease not two years to go.
There's a website they show in this video that has all the laws of states.

i guess after our verification on wednesday with management, the first step is to just contact the landlord and ask if we can terminate the lease. This puts a lot of pressure on my mother as well since there must be 3 tenants in the apartment and shell have to move out as well, but what can i do.. i want to leave...

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Ha ha! Well it's free of your mother! And you get paid. And can work on your apps. lol
2 more years with my mother doesn't sound so bad all of a sudden! hah well now i got even more motivation to make that money...

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
My favorite is the Navy Seals, but I doubt they would take me. :) lol

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Viewed an apartment today with one of my roomates lol first the first time in my life. Wasn't so bad i guess, of course we didn't save up crap so no money for 3 months rent worth for broker fee,security deposit and first months rent.

The broker seemed pretty chill about that fact and just advised us to save up the amount before looking at more apartments since they go so fast and that we can call her if we're looking since theres always some apartments she shows.

my 2 future roomates and I are now officially in saving up mode, gonna move into a 1 bedroom which will cost no more than 1500 a month, so we need to save up to 4500. Id say by february well be just about moving out.(unless my current lease interferes with this, but well see)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.