The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Struggling with Business Ideas? Do This One Thing to Never Run Out of Fastlane Opportunities

jpa0827

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 13, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
That sounds like a very Jack thing to say. That was actually the very first thing he said to me on our very first phone conversation.

When you take your business to its first $100k you will realize how insignificant the idea really is. Seriously. It's all in how you craft the message. Is it compelling? Is it convincing? Does it have that WOW WHAT THE F*CK factor?

There are 2 schools of thought:
1. Extract a very niche idea and grow slowly over time. Kinda like growing a weed from a small seed.

2. Take a product that already sells a lot then add your own twist to it sorta like Dollar Shave Club.

You can create a compelling and convincing offer with both schools of thought. Whichever path you choose largely depends on your goals. For me personally, I just want freedom. The founder of Dollar Shave Club might have less freedom than the guy with the SaaS business because he may have to oversee employees, the factories, distributors, etc.

EDIT: Just so you know, my product has been around for 100 years lol...nothing is new these days.

When you learn to write copy, you can convince world leaders to follow your instructions. You can convince the most beautiful women that you are Brad Pitt. You can convince your mother that the sky is purple.

You will have more power than Justin Timberlake...if only you learned copy.

Gee @IceCreamKid I think I should learn copy :)

Thanks for the well thought out response. I like how you distinguished the 2 schools of thought. I can see very clearly what you mean.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I almost didn't dig this up as you should have read it by now but here it is from @MJ DeMarco himself:

Why all the secrecy? Here's Why...
Understand but...if u got the goods, who cares. Its about execution - right? I read on here all the time about the idea doesn't matter. Its about execution. So what's the big deal about posting the actual product?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I guess I don't understand. I will keep working on it though. F*ck the competition. We will crush them. Y would one be scaired to actually show their product. Copy cats can't compete.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Wrong. I just want to understand where you are you coming from. You talk about dropping two dollar bills off of the roof top during a mayors speech but I can't find any evidence of that. Why
Legit question. Right?

HarryR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 21, 2013
NC, USA or traveling
Hey @KLaw I understand you just want to learn by observing other people's successful businesses. You want an idea? Here you go bro:

1. Make a list of a bunch of industries that you want to contact...food, construction, plumbing, roofing, anything that comes to mind.

2. Contact the TOP 2 players in each industry.

For example, dive into the construction industry and ask the top 2 players, "Hey what machine part breaks down the most often for you? Which part needs replacement the most often?"

3. Find out what that part is then offer to send them a batch of orders FREE. BUT the key is that the part you offer to them MUST be of higher quality than the part that consistently breaks on them. This is where process comes into play. Many will enter, few will win LOL. It's about giving value, my friend. If you can provide a better quality product, you better believe they will want to deal with you...even if that means paying you slightly more.

4. Repeat this process for as many industries as you like. When you deal only with the TOP 2 players in each industry, you will receive massive amounts of orders simply due to the fact that they operate on a massive scale.

5. You can even pull off a JackEdwards style business and hire a bunch of women to contact these big players. Get creative with it.
Thank you yet again. I need to start writing industry specific need questions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Did you even read the post Allen linked? Of course you didn't.
Yes. I did read it.read it when you first posted it. Doesn't mean I agree with it. For example, the paint brush cover. . Anybody could have stolen that idea. Sal was completely transparent. Yet he crushed it.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I think it's a fair question to ask if you saw me selling a $1,997 educational course or a $97 e-book on this forum. If someone is selling something then I want to see tons of factual evidence to back up their claims since I'm putting my money at risk.

I'm a bit amazed that you have no questions regarding that short 5-step action plan that I posted above. I hope someone on this forum uses that plan and turns it into gold.

I'll make a deal with you, become a major contributor here and I'll be more than happy to tell you what I do. A lot of the major contributors here know exactly what I do: my products, marketing strategy, distribution channels, everything.

OP, please forgive me I sincerely apologize for this thread losing its focus to some degree.
Fair enough and I am sorry for tearing up this thread. If one of the mods could move this off topic stuff to mj's secrecy post it would be a much more appropriate space for this conversation. sorry to the op. Much respect!

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
You don't agree with it because you've paid no price. You have no memory of a struggle. No memory of a sacrifice. No memory of toil. When you pay the price that it takes to build something that you can call your own, maybe then you will agree with it.
Good point.

HD_edacity

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Mar 12, 2013
Toronto
Thanks for the input man.

You may also approach it from a different perspective and offer services to construction companies (help them choose the best dump trucking company).

I was thinking exactly this, no one wants to deal with a bunch of little guys but i'm going to hold off on assuming things :p.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
@MTF & Everyone else. If you are going to send emails for idea extraction do you have your own domain to do it? I have a few gmail and outlook.com accounts but that does not lend itself to credibility.

Assuming the answer is your own domain would you then want some sort of website setup at the domain for people to see if they searched it?

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Nope. And at this point they probably made their own solution by now.
@throttleforward,

Wow! Just as more than one person stated in this thread - you don't have to worry about competition. Most people are not going to swing enough to even attempt to get off home plate.

BTW looking forward to meeting you in February!

I receive that! Thank you! Let's grab a drink!:)

Rincewind

Don't give up and never hide
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jun 4, 2016
@Nils Löwe:

1. You could, though if it's a cold email, sending a follow-up borders on spam. I most likely wouldn't do it.
2. I don't have any other templates. It's been two years and a half since I posted this thread; I'm no longer using this approach.

Ok, thank you!

Do you use another approach today? In the original post, you wrote about three ways. Do you use the other two still?

I try to talk to people in person as often as I can, but since I try to get in contact with (software) freelancers, they usually don't have a physical presence that I could visit.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
haha yea that's another need that people are trying to fill like crazy. But in my area of PA they are not going to completely move away from salt any time soon.

Which brings me to another need. Salt.

I bet that there is money in importing and selling salt to states and municipalities. I like the fact that it's a heavy product that creates logistical problems, because the logistical problems (i.e., moving and storing) create opportunities within the opportunity. And it's not like there's a million different types of salt. In the case of the state it all comes down to price. If you out bid the competition then you win.

I know that the company that my department buys from has millions sitting in the bank. There is a salt shortage and they just ordered another 270k worth of salt to get through the rest of the winter.

I have a good solution for this; where do you suggest I start with contacting someone in PA State DOT for this remedy? haha

harlansjobs

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 31, 2018
After re-reding unscripted , I typed in a certain keyword and this post came up. Not sure why as I have yet to find the keyword here, but no matter. I am following the advice in post #1, but Manta told me that they wouldn't let me in because I did not have a website and they wanted me to subscribe. So still lookng for new sources of information. Need to look at the scrapers. THe problem is they either don't work right, or Google keeps changing their API. Will see about maybe some directories, or groups maybe. Will see how to find my way around the requrement of many of them that you either have to be a scubscrber or a member of the industry just to join!

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.