The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Speeding :(

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
I can't go to the hearing. It was almost exactly 1/2 if the way or 6 hrs from both here n my mom's. I just have to pay it and take the suspension. Hopefully because it's out of state and va is not recroprical with GA dmv I may just escape the insurance hike. God willing :) I had an accident about 12 yrs ago that I got cited for careless driving in pa. I fought it thru the first level in court n lost. It cost $65 and it was $75 to take it to appeal so I just paid that too :( so I can't say I'm clear. But this is my first speeding ticket ever :( I don't expect or deserve any breaks. I'll take my lumps along with the fine n suspension n like I said before I'm happy it's only that and not my or someone else's life as the price.

Personally I wouldn't bet on these assumptions and would pay to fight it. I've never had to go to court because the people I use delay for 2 years and then have the ticket thrown out. Why fight in court when you can let it die on it's own.

Assumptions are expensive - in investing and in life in general.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Carrie, I really hope everything turns up alright for you! Good luck.

I sometimes hate the pigs. I been pulled over more than once. They didn't have anything on me.

I don't trust cops. I am more worried about them then the criminals.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Need to save energy, turning the lights off for good, ignored:

hD6683212

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
Carrie
hire someone from either state and they will take care of everything for you. You do not need to show up in court.
Just had my first ticket and got it reduced to a parking ticket. I was going 95 and they only cited me for 75 so the cop was a nice guy.
My insurance right now is about $1,000/month because I drive a new sports car so if I didn't fight it would have doubled.

@mike
My mom always used to say, if you didn't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I wrote up quite the response about her mental health and her extreme selfishness but I will go ahead and refrain because I don't have time to argue with a loony and I also have more work to do now and in the coming weeks than lights has done or ever will do in her entire life :)

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I wrote up quite the response about her mental health and her extreme selfishness but I will go ahead and refrain because I don't have time to argue with a loony and I also have more work to do now and in the coming weeks than lights has done or ever will do in her entire life :)

You look so cute when you're angry

:groove:

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas

I'm not defending anyone her but what does it concern you?
Stick to your own business, build it, retire/whatever and do what you need to do. Involving yourself doesn't make any sense.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I'm not defending anyone her but what does it concern you?

Why does it concern you why it concerns me? Huh?

Stick to your own business, build it, retire/whatever and do what you need to do. Involving yourself doesn't make any sense.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
"No good deed goes unpunished."

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Emporia va ??? Idk what county. Was at the 11 mile marker goin south tho so Almost out! I looked it up. Va is 20mph over the posted limit or above 80mph regardless of posted speed. I was over by both calculations. A lawyer would cost as much if not more then the fine :)
My sister got a ticket in Emporia and they said if she got Straight A's (or an A in a specific class..I can't really remember) they would dismiss the ticket.

What a strange place. Anyways, she got it dismissed.

psaco131

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 16, 2012
Peru
Definitely get a traffic lawyer. I've had a "Failure to Yield" which resulted in an accident & a "Speeding Ticket" (on separate occasions) reduced to a civil infraction which resulted in no record or points of the incidents, just lawyer and ticket fees.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I'm bored lol

You always seem to have a chip on your shoulder lol

I am actually a pretty nice guy in person. Every once in a while I just get overwhelmed and stressed about life/work/school and I'll be the first to admit that my attitude during those really stressful moments is very much reflected in my posts. I have probably upset quite a few people on the forum, just know it's nothing personal if I do, I am working on improving

:smx4:

Sorry for hijacking this thread: :eek:fftopic:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Go screw yourself mike you prick. :rofl:

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
Yep. If it wasn't in Virgina you would probably not have a ticket at that price nor would your license be suspended. Virginia is well down for handing out tickets right and left.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I am going to write a letter to the judge. explain what was going on. if he reduces it then yay! if not I will take my lumps :)

thank you for all the advice about the lawyers and such I know I can fight it but I really dont feel its necessary.

Rickson9 I dont think there is such statue here in ga or in virginia, you can fight it forever and still end up paying if you dont win, at least as far as I have ever heard.

I dont live in that state so our options are limited as to what I can or cant do, and they really just want their money :) I dont think it will be recorded on my ga driving record. I know for a fact regular speeding tickets dont get reported if you pay them ontime...(every single ticket hubs got was out of state :) )

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Virginia is really a stickler for monitoring speeding... I had a friend who had to drive all the way back up there to go to court (this was more than 10 years ago). I lived in the Hampton Roads area for a long time, and we always knew that 55 meant 55. They will ticket you for 57 mph.

I got pulled over on my birthday a couple of years ago here where I live in GA. I was going more than 20 miles over the speed limit, but he lowered it down to just 2 under the 20 mile limit and told me that I would lose my license if he had given me the other ticket. I probably still speed when I shouldn't, but I NEVER push too far past the limit. It's just not worth it :(

I'm sorry that this happened, but you have a really good perspective on it. It wouldn't be a bad idea to try to see if you could avoid losing your license, though. I am glad that you are safe!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Speeding tickets are about revenue, not safety. It is just one more way the "government for the people by the people" is no more. Government was created to improve our lives not control it and take our money every way they can.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I agree and disagree. Breaking the law (as I did) is equivalent to a student burtsing out of their seat, hand raised shouting oh me me me. Pick me please!!! Lol

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
hahaha! so I go to my mailbox and in it are not 1, not 2, not 3, but 6 ads from va lawyers! circulating like vultures! LMFAO

the are very very cheap tho. I just spoke to 3 of them and they all said exactly what I thought.

just pre pay it :)

fpena911

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 11, 2012
The whole premise of speed limits to me is ridiculous. Limits should be based on road and traffic conditions, not some arbitrary number. We have the technology to create variable limits.

95 MPH may sound like it's fast but on an open highway like I-95 at 3am it really isn't. Now 95 in traffic and weaving in and around other drivers does deserve a ticket. But if she's doing the speed on an open road and not intoxicated or doing so in an unsafe manner then really, what is the harm?

I own a sports car myself and take it to the track where my speeds top over 130 MPH. On a longer track I would be able to go faster but that's beside the point. I also lived in Germany for 5 years were the limits are more reasonable or even in some cases nonexistent. Limits here are set low on purpose to raise revenue. That is why they have barely changed since the 1960s yet cars are much faster and safer.

Notice you can do the speed limit while eating a cheeseburger, watching a DVD, and talking on your bluetooth without any consequences. But the moment you go 10 MPH over an arbitrary limit, even while paying full attention to the road ahead, you are all of a sudden a danger to other drivers. Does that make sense? I think not.

To the OP, hire a lawyer and you won't have to appear and hopefully your ticket will be reduced. It'll still cost you money but at least the state won't get the full revenue.

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
But the moment you go 10 MPH over an arbitrary limit, even while paying full attention to the road ahead, you are all of a sudden a danger to other drivers. Does that make sense? I think not.

Although I fully agree with you on the majority of your post (the variable speed limit thing has been proposed for years in numerous countries with no give, but should've been made compulsory decades ago), I have to nit-pick about this point. A extra few miles faster definitely equates to longer stopping distance, regardless if its 10 miles, 20 miles or 50 miles over the speed limit, and this is a huge cause of accidents. Just ask any emergency worker who's worked any number of accident scenes, one thing they'll always say - "slow down" (that and "don't drink and drive, but that's a whole different argument).

The other problem is that you are assuming everyone is as attentive as you are while driving. I've seen first-hand people reading, eating, texting, applying makeup, getting "special treatment" by their girlfriend/wife, fussing with the kids in the back seat (half their torso being between the two front seats), and any number of other distractions, all which will increase reaction time - and when you are talking about split second decisions, plus if speeding is involved, it's the perfect storm.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
Just to clarify. I was no t drinking or smoking anything. Not eating ur drinking anything. No phone or text when I drive (I have a 12yr old who man's my phone) my reaction time goin 95 is better then most drivers at 50mph. It was a clear beautiful night with 0 traffic. Stopping dIstance greater but it was a highway not a thru fare in a town. Only thing that would screw Me were cops or a deer. Lol

fpena911

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 11, 2012
Although I fully agree with you on the majority of your post (the variable speed limit thing has been proposed for years in numerous countries with no give, but should've been made compulsory decades ago), I have to nit-pick about this point. A extra few miles faster definitely equates to longer stopping distance, regardless if its 10 miles, 20 miles or 50 miles over the speed limit, and this is a huge cause of accidents. Just ask any emergency worker who's worked any number of accident scenes, one thing they'll always say - "slow down" (that and "don't drink and drive, but that's a whole different argument).

The other problem is that you are assuming everyone is as attentive as you are while driving. I've seen first-hand people reading, eating, texting, applying makeup, getting "special treatment" by their girlfriend/wife, fussing with the kids in the back seat (half their torso being between the two front seats), and any number of other distractions, all which will increase reaction time - and when you are talking about split second decisions, plus if speeding is involved, it's the perfect storm.

I completely agree, and yes our laws are based on catering to the lowest common denominator so any change in them would require enforcement of safer driving habits.

Keep in mind too that at highway speeds of 70 - 95 MPH a wreck is going to be pretty catastrophic any way you look at it. So you have a point with the increased stopping distances but at that speed stopping quickly is going to be a concern no matter what. Plus statistically speaking most deaths take place on secondary roads which have lower speed limits to begin with. Highways are safer and the cause of fewer accidents even with the higher speeds.

Just to clarify. I was no t drinking or smoking anything. Not eating ur drinking anything. No phone or text when I drive (I have a 12yr old who man's my phone) my reaction time goin 95 is better then most drivers at 50mph. It was a clear beautiful night with 0 traffic. Stopping dIstance greater but it was a highway not a thru fare in a town. Only thing that would screw Me were cops or a deer. Lol

That's my point with our laws. If another person on the highway was paying no mind to the road ahead of them but doing the speed limit they would get a free pass. You, on the other hand, are actually keeping your eyes on the road but because of the law are subject to penalty.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
You should have fought it, anything 20 over is reckless. If your going to drive like that get a good traffic attorney.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have not had a ticket in over a year. Get a Valentine 1.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
idk what a valentine 1 is... but radar dectors are against the law in va...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.