The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sold All My Stuff. Taking a 9,000km Train Journey Across Asia.

D

DeletedUser394

Received a notification today that I've reached Star Alliance Silver Status. Neat.

Off to Idaho tomorrow. Going to be WWOOF-ing for a few days.

For those of you that don't know what that is, it's basically an exchange program where you volunteer to work on an Organic farm in exchange for food and board. I'll be spending 3-4 days in a small town in Northern Idaho. Doing what? I have no idea, but the people seem nice ;)

Idaho will be the 9th state I ever visited, and the 4th state visited since August. (I'm Canadian).

See y'all in a few days.

Alex Rend

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 21, 2013
Paris, France
Oh, I forgot... If you'll need help with something Russian (language issues, some questions, information or help with websites) you're always can PM me about it :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
So cool, I'd love to do a trip like this!

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
So, are you actually doing this trip?

D

DeletedUser394

Unfortunately this trip is postponed for the time being.

I had to do some real soul searching, and I determined that right now the one thing more important to me right now is to be financially secure.

I was looking at about $15,000-$20,000 in travel expenses for the end of 2013 + 2014. Absolutely nothing wrong with that if you're loaded and have a system in place, but I had to be honest with myself. I technically have the money, but is that a good reason to spend it? I don't think so. It would be much more prudent and beneficial in the long term to keep pushing forward in business/life until I have some systems in place where I wouldn't feel the hit of spending that much money.

Because of this, I've retooled my travel goals for 2014. I won't be going anywhere until the new year. After that I'll be back in Phoenix for B&P, and will likely go to Nevada at the beginning of that week.

In the summertime I would like to visit Yellowstone National Park. Thankfully it's about a 8 hour drive from my house, so I don't have to fly there and can save quite a bit of money. During my Yellowstone trip I want to return to Idaho, and spend some time in Wyoming and Montana.

Also need to keep exploring Canada, and with Saskatchewan right next door, a 6 hour drive will get me there (again I'll save huge on air travel... flying within Canada is very expensive). Next door to Saskatchewan is Manitoba, and I intend to get there as well (may fly for that one).

One of my friends is planning on converting an old school bus into a 'drive-able hostel' and we will be hitting most of the States on the east coast. That'll also be a huge savings travel-expense wise and will be a pretty exciting and unique experience I would think.

Not sure if I'm going to do my Saint Patrick's day trip in March, but the others are a definite (and cheap!)

Easily going to save $10,000+ that I can put into investments to generate more income.

TL;DR Travel Plans for 2014, places in italics I've already been, but will be going back.

USA

-Arizona & Nevada
-Yellowstone National Park, Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho
-Most of the States on the East Coast. Already been to New York, Florida, and Connecticut, the rest will be new to me.

Canada

-Saskatchewan
-Manitoba
-Quebec
-Nova Scotia

International

****Maybe will do Dublin and London in March. Sort of paid the travel company already but can get most of it back.

In all it's disappointing I can't do everything I want to do, but it's the right decision. If nothing else, it's going to push me to work harder so that I don't have to say no or postpone something in the future for the same reasons.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I'm disappointed that I won't get to read about an exciting trip, but in the end, it is your life and only YOU know the right decisions to make for your own journey. I hope that you do make those trips to the western US states. It's beautiful there, and you can definitely make it into a grand adventure and do a lot of soul-searching while you are at it.

Sometimes, we don't have to go all the way to the other side of the world in order to make the memories of a lifetime.

D

DeletedUser394

if you focused on building a business. you could travel in 2015 and 2016 all year. FOCUS

Z

Got me there.

I need to take this one step at a time. As mentioned in the last email I sent you, I'm trying to make too many drastic changes in a short period of time, and it's not working for me.

Since making this thread and dropping out, I'm currently reapplying to university for fall, into a new program, and not only have I gotten another job, but I've increased my hours and added on a 6th day each week. To most entrepreneurial minded people here that's certainly ten steps backwards. As others above have said, ultimately it's my life and my decisions, so I take 100% responsibility for the path I'm currently taking, and I accept it.

There isn't a one size fits all approach, so I'm finding what works for me and what I'm happy with.

It comes down to being real with myself and stop living in some fantasy world where I view things only in an ideal scenario. In past businesses that I've run, I neglected to anticipate or 'believe' that downturns and roadblocks would happen. I refused to accept that the road to success was anything other than a straight line.

That's exactly how I went broke with my vending routes, and that's exactly what happened in my most recent venture. Although I got out before anything crazy happened.

D

DeletedUser2

going to school and working a job is not 10 steps backwards ryan.

its exactly what you need to be doing while you are getting your head set on straight.

I didn't start my first business UNTIL I WAS 21! every year you add on, you get a bit smarter, a bit better and hopefully a bit faster.

the point is your doing it right. because at this point until you have a CLEAR focused vision, ANYTHING you do is right.

its your life.

so, see if you cant help others for a while. help them from making bad mistakes, or just help them. it will teach you a skill about learning to listen to people's needs. you don't even have to charge them anything. your doing it for them, AND for your personal education.

Good luck, and will see you in arizona. hopefully
Z

PeteLife

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 5, 2011
BALTIMORE/DMV
Travel Plans for 2014, places in italics I've already been, but will be going back.

Why are you in such a rush to travel when your financials aren't in place??? No point in traveling the world only to come back home broke. Spend that money, build something of value, and let that system pay you to travel, then you can spend all of 2015 traveling without being on a budget. Plus you get to make money while you travel and come back home to the $$$. Think necessity. That trip isnt one!

I'm currently reapplying to university for fall, into a new program, and not only have I gotten another job, but I've increased my hours and added on a 6th day each week.

Whats the purpose of making all these big decisions only to take it all back within a couple weeks??? Make a decision ...stick with it!!! All of your post are always so drastic that from this point I can't believe anything you say you'll do. First you make these drastic travel plans, only to cancel... you dropped out of school, only to be re-applying in the fall, asked to be banned from the forum, only to return a week later.

All these drastic moves seems like you're just trying to "impress" the forum with your big plans. Think about where you are in life and make logical decisions. Won't believe another post you write until I see some action behind it because you are starting to look like all bark and no bite.

Please understand that I am not writing this to belittle you because I want to see you succeed. Actually I even agree with your new position to cancel that rediculously expensive trip and to slow down on the expenses and to settle down and get back in school until you know what you want/have a set plan. You're still young, you don't need to add all the unnecessary stress in your life that you keep creating only to end up banging your head on a brick wall at the end of the day.

Goodluck Man!!!

gyxser_10

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 18, 2013
PeteLife, I sent you a pm a few days ago. If you could get back to me asap, I'd really appreciate, man.

PeteLife

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 5, 2011
BALTIMORE/DMV
PeteLife, I sent you a pm a few days ago. If you could get back to me asap, I'd really appreciate, man.

Please post an intro and Ill be happy to respond to you. It will possibly be tomorrow though.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
All these drastic moves seems like you're just trying to "impress" the forum with your big plans.
Why do you think he is trying to impress the forum? I think he just trys a tad bit too hard to find "something". A few years ago I had "sort of" the same bug. I was going to be a philosopher. I was going to change my last name to either "Mirroreelbow" or "Sixsided".

Not only that, I was planning to move far away from friends and family. I call it the "rebel mindset". You try too hard to find "something", and all you get is something that is something very far from what's really you. I also thought the government system was s**t.

I was a true rebel. LOL. Now, I'm myself again. I don't care about philosophy or try to be something I'm not.

RichKid, did the right thing and trys to take it slower instead.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Why are you in such a rush to travel when your financials aren't in place???

I agree with most of your post, but have to argue with this point a bit. I think that a bit of travelling is one of the most growth-inducing things that people can do. Everyone should go spend at least a year in another country at the earliest possible moment imo. If your financials aren't in order and you're just going to get a job anyway, better to get a job in a new country.

D

DeletedUser394

You're all right essentially.

Somewhat confused to be honest. There is all this anti college rhetoric that I'm bombarded with on a regular basis. But I understand how doing something/anything (college) is better than doing nothing.

It may sound dumb but having a degree (any degree) wouldn't be all that bad in my opinion.. in fact I'd be *gasp* proud to have accomplished that. So many people don't have the opportunity or access to higher education, many of whom would love to go. Most that do go end up being severely in debt, and I won't have any debt from Day 1.

As for what to return and study, I'm not sure. It's really either going to be a business focused program (accounting/finance) or something else practical like majoring in Spanish (while cherry picking my economics/business courses). I enjoy communicating with people in foreign languages and how it brings vastly different cultures together. Anyway, I have a few months to decide what to choose.

And yes, all this crazy travel nonsense is done for now. What would I rather have: be financially independent (no job) by 30, or travelling to random places? Easy choice.

Only trip I'm doing is to Phoenix. Even with the 10 spots opened up from the waitlist, looks like I still didn't get a spot so I'll be meeting up with people before and after I guess.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Somewhat confused to be honest. There is all this anti college rhetoric that I'm bombarded with on a regular basis. But I understand how doing something/anything (college) is better than doing nothing.

I think college, especially if you won't have debt, is a great place to learn and explore opportunities. You can always continue your Fastlane projects while in school, just like a lot of people do/have done.

Things will work out for you, just keep your head on straight (school is a great place for this...lol). You are young, and, contrary to forum opinion, there is no rush (well, maybe just a slight rush, but it's not like the world is going to end if you "retire" at 35 instead of 25). It's your life, and you don't have to explain anything to us.

I went to college myself, as did a lot of people on this forum, so you shouldn't catch too much flack for it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You're all right essentially.

It may sound dumb but having a degree (any degree) wouldn't be all that bad in my opinion.. in fact I'd be *gasp* proud to have accomplished that. So many people don't have the opportunity or access to higher education, many of whom would love to go. Most that do go end up being severely in debt, and I won't have any debt from Day 1.

As for what to return and study, I'm not sure. It's really either going to be a business focused program (accounting/finance) or something else practical like majoring in Spanish (while cherry picking my economics/business courses). I enjoy communicating with people in foreign languages and how it brings vastly different cultures together. Anyway, I have a few months to decide what to choose.

And yes, all this crazy travel nonsense is done for now. What would I rather have: be financially independent (no job) by 30, or travelling to random places? Easy choice.

Only trip I'm doing is to Phoenix. Even with the 10 spots opened up from the waitlist, looks like I still didn't get a spot so I'll be meeting up with people before and after I guess.

Don't go to college to study business, unless your professors are credentialed multimillion dollar business winners that are teaching because they want to share what they learned.

Two of my kids are in college, but working towards professions that require college. In fact, I told them I would not pay for their college if they got a generic degree like business, or liberal arts, or any of the other bullshit degrees. Business degrees are generally for people that don't know what else to do with their lives, so they get a "business degree" which is a dime a dozen.

If you are going to go to college as a means of credentialing for a profession, make it a profession that needs a degree. Psychologist, engineer, attorney, etc. College trains you for a job, so make it a job that requires a degree. At least going down that path minimizes the unqualified, uncredentialed competition from the job market in your chosen job.

College is awesome for professions that require college. Most don't. Business degrees are a dime a dozen, and usually taught by professors whose business experience is limited to reading the text book a few days before you do.

Choose a college track that leads to a profession that requires a college degree.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
But I understand how doing something/anything (college) is better than doing nothing.

So spending 4 years in college is more productive than learning how to build a substantial business and making mistakes?

I don't quite understand your logic considering your past posts but right on…

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Sells all stuff, travels halfway across the world, takes no pictures.

Cool starry bra.

cool_starry_bra_by_maxtheberzerker-d4xr7wj.jpg

D

DeletedUser394

Sells all stuff, travels halfway across the world, takes no pictures.

Cool starry bra.

I didn't go.

The second last line on the original post says it wouldn't have started until the first week of November. Reading comprehension?

The trips that I did take, the pictures are on the INSIDERS forum. Met with quite a few fastlaners and had a blast.

LeungJan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 8, 2013
If you ever come to London, hit me up - would be great to meet ya.

As for Beijing - if you go check out Ai Bo Sen blind man massage.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I didn't go.

The second last line on the original post says it wouldn't have started until the first week of November. Reading comprehension?

The trips that I did take, the pictures are on the INSIDERS forum. Met with quite a few fastlaners and had a blast.

Excuses. I find your posts long winded and boring. I only read the title.

See ya around kid.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
So the plan has changed and it now looks like this: I'm going to Chernobyl/Kiev (Ukraine), the breakaway Republic of Transnistria (real place!), Albania, Moldova, Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, and Kosovo.
Holy crap, we lost one opportunity to meet. I'm from Albania :)

aardvarky

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 18, 2014
I agree with most of your post, but have to argue with this point a bit. I think that a bit of travelling is one of the most growth-inducing things that people can do. Everyone should go spend at least a year in another country at the earliest possible moment imo. If your financials aren't in order and you're just going to get a job anyway, better to get a job in a new country.
As someone who's been traveling part-time since 16 and full-time since my late twenties, I have to agree with this. A lot of people still think traveling is a luxury, something you do when you have enough money/time/etc., but if you waited 'til you have everything in place - you will never go.
And travel is a must. Especially if you plan to go with eyes wide open and a mind willing to learn. There are so many different ways to live and you get exposure to a huge spectrum of life perspectives, values, and techniques of dealing with the world around you.
You learn you can make a living doing things you never thought of doing.
You learn gumption - visas, arranging plane tickets, winding up in some godforsaken village with no food and no money really gets your resourcefulness going.
You learn what's actually necessary to have an awesome quality of life and what sh*t isn't worth dragging along with you - 'cause when you're traveling, you're literally dragging it along with you.
You learn to ask people for help and trust they will do whatever they can for you.
You learn to connect with such different kinds of people - this will help you in ways far beyond business.
You learn to be with yourself.
You learn to toss yourself so far out of your comfort zone, you have to sink or swim.
You learn how to manage your money 'cause if you don't, without friends of family around...you will go hungry.
You learn the actual value of money - when you meet entire families living off $300 a month who're happy as hell and welcome you into their home, you have to question whether the stuff you've been buying really makes you happy.
Oh, and you lose weight. Naturally. Without even thinking.
And if you're like me, you realize you love this so much, you're willing to do whatever you can to assure you are financially set so you can roam about as you please. That is truly motivating.

That being said, I don't believe travel is the panacea so many people make it out to be. Whatever your current problems are - a lot of them are going to go with you, wherever you roam. And don't for one second think travel is going to help you "find yourself," whatever that means. Finding/discovering/creating yourself is a life-long process that should occur whether you're on the road or stuck in the 'burbs.

The best travel does is help you shed layers of yourself that were never you to begin with by challenging your ideas of what you can do, what you like, and who you might want to become. And that's totally worth a few $K.

Save up, give all your energy into building an income stream and book a non-refundable ticket out. So many people say they're going to go "next year" or "someday." Make sure you make that "someday" an actual date or (in my experience), someday usually doesn't come.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Fantastic post!

Please SEARCH before posting.