The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So You’re an Elite Performer? Maybe, And Maybe Not.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I recently attended a freediving workshop with one of the best freedivers in the world. He’s been a world record holder in the hardest discipline of freediving for over 15 years, with nobody ever coming close to contesting it.

While I completely sucked at the workshop, embarrassed myself and began questioning whether I should even continue with this sport, there was one big lesson I got out of it.

Namely, true elite performers are wired completely differently than a regular person. COMPLETELY differently. And whatever notions you have, you’re probably still missing the mark. If you think you’re an elite performer, you’re most likely fooling yourself.

Here are just some of the things that were completely normal to him:

1. He shared an extremely hard training table for freediving that is so hard that your brain pretty much shuts off while doing it as you’re in a constant state of wanting to breathe. I tried a version of it that was probably at most 0.1% as hard and failed in the first minute.

Just to give a rough comparison with an easier to understand sport, it would be sort of like doing an all-out sprint for 20 seconds, taking 5 seconds to rest and doing it again—and continuing so for 30-40 MINUTES, each time maintaining the same proper technique and speed.

He recommended doing this table at least 2-3x a week.

Someone asked: “I assume you reduce the intensity of this table so you can do it a few times a week?” He replied: “You assume wrong. I do this table 4-5x a week, each time all-out, for months on end when preparing for a competition.”

And I know he’s not bullshitting because he has a track record to prove it. So imagine doing the hardest possible workout you can do that makes you hate your life and then doing it 4-5x a week your entire life.

2. He’s been testing every single tiniest thing in freediving throughout his entire career. Whatever someone asked him, he has tested it extensively. Exact timing of every movement in relation to another movement. Exact position of every single body part. 0.5 second adjustments to his training to make it even harder.

He created a technique (which he demonstrated live) in which he was able to drop his heart rate from 78 bpm to 36 bpm in a matter of seconds. It was crazy to watch because on the outside nothing was happening. He was hooked up to a precise pulse oximeter so everyone could see his heart rate and oxygen saturation (which stayed at a constant 100%).

In slightly colder water he noticed that his speed of freefall (when you’re deeper, you’re negatively buoyant and are falling) was slightly slower than in warmer water. So he learned that cold water has slightly more density which makes him just a tiny bit more buoyant. He calculated exactly how much weight to add to his weight belt to counter that effect (about 300 grams) and keep his freefall speed consistent across different diving locations.

He came up with some incredibly dangerous exercises that subject your body to the same crushing forces as if you were at up to 300 meters of depth (it’s all done dry, with your own body). He doesn’t even share these exercises publicly (only privately with the top freedivers) as he doesn’t want to be responsible for some serious injuries if an untrained person does this.

3. When he began freediving, he got so obsessed with training that he tried to stay in a hypercapnic state the entire day (hypercapnic means you have increased carbon dioxide levels in your blood; carbon dioxide levels go up as you hold your breath and this makes you have an urge to breathe).

So he was constantly counting his breaths, under-breathing, and aiming to have no more than 5 breaths per minute. For hours. Every day. All so he could get better even when he wasn’t diving.

Now, What Does This Have to Do With Business?

If you think that you’re an elite performer, think again. Unless you display the same crazy level of obsession, you’re not playing in the same league. Not even anywhere close to it.

Yeah, maybe you’re better than an average person. But this doesn’t make you elite. Most likely, in the grand scheme of things, compared to that guy, you’re still closer to that lazy fat slob on the couch than to this guy. He’s that good, and so is every single true elite performer.

Now, I don’t mean it in a negative way, to lower your expectations or stop being ambitious. Perhaps you really ARE that elite performer and if you are, that’s awesome.

I’m sharing this to offer a few thoughts for a discussion:

1. Meeting a true elite performer can humble you and inspire you to step up your game. There’s a reason why you always want to be the least capable person in the room (I definitely was in that workshop, and failed dramatically).

You can only look up. You’re not getting any satisfaction from being better because everyone else is miles ahead of you. Your standards are transformed and you see what’s truly possible. Stagnation is not acceptable. The only way is up or else you’re out of the group because you won’t keep up.

2. Or meeting a true elite performer can discourage you from further trying when you realize how vast the difference is between a regular mortal and the best of the best. This in itself signals that you’re probably NOT an elite performer at heart (otherwise it wouldn’t discourage you; you’d just use it as fuel to go harder).

3. If you assess that objectively you’re incapable of ever getting remotely close to the elite performer or unwilling to put in the work to get there, you need to evaluate your capabilities and see where you can win.

This of course depends on the context. If you’re running for basic fitness, you’re not going to give up just because you can’t ever beat Usain Bolt or Eliud Kipchoge. In the same way, a weekend warrior at a bouldering gym can’t compare himself to Nirmal Purja.

But if we’re talking about business and making any considerable amount of money, entering any field where you’re dealing with multiple elite performers all but guarantees failure if you can’t ever objectively match their work ethic, capabilities, and resources.

4. So what are we left with if you want to win?

You pick wide fields with fewer elite performers or ideally, fields where nobody is truly obsessed about them.

This is one of the core reasons why it’s so hard to win in any industries where people are extremely passionate about, such as the film industry, music, sports, etc. People absolutely love these things and many are capable of practicing virtually 24/7. Good luck winning against people who have been essentially bred to become top performers. Unless you’re absolutely sure you’re of the same stock, you don’t stand a chance.

5. In business, for those who realistically know they’ll never be elite performers, this leaves us with:
  • Opportunities that aren’t related to an obsession. If you want to make woodworking products, there’s probably a guy who spends 14 hours a day woodworking who will outcompete you. In contrast, you’re unlikely to encounter a true elite performer offering a service for septic tank cleaners because nobody is that obsessed about it. Same goes for your typical boring but essential services like waste management, gutter cleaning, or towing.
  • Probably skip any content-based or software-based businesses. Both attract thousands of true elite performers (think Mr. Beast for video or any egg-headed Silicon Valley developer programming 18 hours a day). Many inspirational stories come from these fields and yet these are the ones where the survivorship bias is one of the strongest (“Mr. Beast succeeded so I can, too,” discounting millions who failed).
  • If you still want to go after fields where elite performers are common, specialize in something that doesn’t interest a wider audience but still addresses a painful need. You won’t beat a company made up of hardcore surfers selling surfboards. But you may specialize in selling gear for cold water surfers because much fewer people are obsessed about surfing in cold water.
  • Another way is to go after a more local market. Even in crowded fields, if you change your competition from global to national, state, or city-wide, you’ll automatically dramatically increase your chances of winning. For example, if you don't come from an English-speaking country, you may never outcompete Brandon Sanderson in writing fantasy and sci-fi but you may win in a smaller market such as Poland, like Andrzej Sapkowski (the creator of the Witcher).
Prior to the workshop, I had studied countless elite performers but only through books, podcast interviews, etc. There are many online gurus, authors, podcasters etc. talking about elite performance but in reality very few people are at this level. Getting to know one in person has dramatically changed my perspective on the top performers. It has made me realize that I’ve never been one and am unlikely to ever be one as I have too broad interests and I'm too weak.

Have you ever met any elite performers? What were they like? What have you learned?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
It’s crazy that you can write a thread this good on a random topic.

You got to figure out a new business model where you can connect these writing skills.

I know you don’t want the work but I would hire you as a content writer in a second.

And ya great points - this was a super interesting read.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
3. If you assess that objectively you’re incapable of ever getting remotely close to the elite performer or unwilling to put in the work to get there, you need to evaluate your capabilities and see where you can win.
This is why I quit music.

I wanted to be a orchestral bass player in a top orchestra. I was one of the best high school players, and went to college to study with the best bass professor and was practicing 5 hours a day, every day, on top of my coursework (I often fell asleep at 2:30am in the practice room).

Then one day I realized the adjunct professor teaching my orchestral excerpts class has 20 years experience on me and knew the entire literature by heart and could play it all to near perfection. I was playing on a $12,000 bass. He was playing on a $120,000 bass.

And he still didn't yet have that dream job he (and I) were aspiring towards. Meaning, whenever such jobs were open to audition, I'd be competing against him (and others like him)

Reality sunk in, especially as orchestras were closing down and losing funding in the wake of the 2008 recession.

I decided I wasn't willing to sacrifice what it would take. Cobbling together a living through a mish-mash of music playing and teaching gigs, probably making 35-50k a year for 20-30 years as I tried to increase my skills to a point where I was in the top 0.1%, with a good chance I would never get there at all.

So I found something else to do where I could legitimately have a shot at being the best in the world because so few people are doing it.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
@MTF

When I was younger I met a family friend a couple of times. (He's passed away now) He was a competitive sailor with an Olympic Gold and Silver medal. He was very competitive, but he could turn it on or off. So when he wasn't training or racing, he seemed like a perfectly normal guy.

He would pay huge attention to details. A couple of the things he would do for major events, eg. Olympics were to have a boat specially built for that event. His team would research the typical wind and wave conditions for the location of the event and build a boat accordingly. For example, his class of boat was defined, so he couldn't change the design, but within the design parameters there was still flexibility. So if they were expecting light winds and waves, they would make the boat out of thinner materials and if they were expecting heavier conditions they would make the boat from thicker materials to make it more robust.

Another example was that before major events, he would go on a diet (a pizza diet) and gain weight (about 50lbs / 25kg or so) in order to make himself heavier relative to the weight of the boat. This allowed him to move more of the weight of the total unit around by moving around the boat to try to gain an advantage. He would lose the weight after the competition.

These were just a couple of the things that he did, there would have been many others.

Most of these sorts of people are obsessive, so they are very good at one thing and suck at everything else.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
They truely are built differently. Especially in the sense of sacrafice to what the normal script looks like. It takes insane dedication to be the elite top.

The other side of that.... do you NEED to be elite to live a happy and fulfilled life? Often times not.

Great writing MTF, I agree with Rob (@Fox ) !

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
I agree with your idea of what a true high performer looks like (superhuman skills, insight, obsession, etc.), but I don't agree with your conclusion on how this applies to business.

Unless you're purely a solopreneur who insists on doing EVERYTHING by himself, you don't have to be a world-class performer at your trade.

Actually, let me rephrase that:

Being the most skilled person in the world is not only completely unnecessary, but it actually could be harmful to your long-term progress.

As a business owner, your job is to see the big picture and steer the ship in the right direction. A single decision can save or cost your team thousands of hours of work. A single decision could also steer your ship toward the iceberg.

Being a true master of a particular skill is going to distract you from your main duty as the captain.

You will always be tempted to get your hands dirty and start tinkering with whatever your company is producing, instead of leading your team as an effective leader.

The first example that comes to mind is Steve Jobs.
  • 0 skills as an electrical engineer.
  • 0 skills as a software developer.
  • Multi-billion dollar tech company.

How is this even possible?

Good captain:
  • Superior vision
  • Superior leadership
  • Obsession with product quality

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Great thread, I think the takeaway should be to get around some people like this so you can see adjust your mindset and work ethic baseline after seeing what insane execution really looks like

I disagree about the rest though

Very few businesses are you directly competing, and especially directly competing with someone this obsessed

And even if you are I think there’s still opportunity for you to approach it your way

Different is better than better

If you are directly going to compete with a business, you want to pick who you are going to compete with wisely, but that’s kind of obvious

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
In some sense, believing that you're an elite performer, or that you need to be one, is a limiting belief!

Great post.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Personally I've met only one person 'wired differently' to the point their intellect seemed superhuman to me. Not an athlete or musician, where you realize they have put in decades of training. It was a young academic and child prodigy with photographic memory or some type of extreme computational ability. Like their brain ran 10x faster than mine, and my brain is decently sharp. Humbling experience.

If you asked a long complex question, he would answer you before you finished the question. After hearing just a few words, he predicted the rest of the question, processed the problem and formulated an answer immediately.

Thankfully, life is all about asking good questions, not giving a perfect answer.

Last edited:

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
I agree with the topic of the thread.

You have to make Sure you compete in an area where you have an edge. That might mean picking a niche that is smaller than your ambition.

I like the concept of combining expertise in more than one area to become hard to compete with.
If you are a top 10% content writer and a top 10% leader and you have top 10% knowledge in MMA you could build a content agency, leading great employees, for MMA related businesses .
The high performers in each of the 3 areas can't compete with you now and there are likely few people in the world who can. Yet you dont have to be elite at anything to do it.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
I have a music teacher who is an elite performer. He’s crazy good.

When meeting people like that, it’s easy to fall into the mindset of “I’ll never be that good”. At best it’s a false comparison, and at worse it’ll breed resentment and envy.

I try to instead think “how can I change what I’m doing to move a step closer to being at his level”, and that lets me think about changes I can, how to improve my practice, make it more challenging, approach it from different angles etc. But my motivation for music isn’t to be better than someone, or to be in a particular band, but to find the limit of what I can do with music

When it comes to deciding if you’re prepared to pay the price to reach a particular level, I think that’s a good consideration, but things like this mainly apply to sports or skills, not business. You have to be realistic about what you can achieve with the time you’re willing to invest.

Business isn’t about being the absolute best, it’s about getting the job done. You don’t need to have a IQ of 200 or be an Olympian.

I liked your point about competing locally, and totally agree. Dominating a local scene isn’t that difficult, generally speaking the competition is pretty poor locally.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
It’s crazy that you can write a thread this good on a random topic.

You got to figure out a new business model where you can connect these writing skills.

I know you don’t want the work but I would hire you as a content writer in a second.

And ya great points - this was a super interesting read.

That's interesting as I almost didn't post this thread because I thought it wasn't good enough. Then again, I've been second-guessing myself in every aspect of life recently.

I don't see how I can use these writing skills in any sensible business. I may be better than an average person but I still completely suck compared to serious writers. And even these serious writers don't make much money. The more popular AI becomes, they less they'll make.

I mentioned Brandon Sanderson. He once wrote somewhere that he took a job specifically at a hotel reception desk so he could spend his 12-hour night shifts writing. And then he was probably writing even more after work. There's no way to compete with such obsessed people.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
So I found something else to do where I could legitimately have a shot at being the best in the world because so few people are doing it.

Thank you for sharing this story. This conclusion is exactly the point I wanted to make in the thread. If you aren't a true elite performer (and to determine that you need to be very honest with yourself), find something where you realistically have a shot at being the best.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
@MTF

When I was younger I met a family friend a couple of times. (He's passed away now) He was a competitive sailor with an Olympic Gold and Silver medal. He was very competitive, but he could turn it on or off. So when he wasn't training or racing, he seemed like a perfectly normal guy.

He would pay huge attention to details. A couple of the things he would do for major events, eg. Olympics were to have a boat specially built for that event. His team would research the typical wind and wave conditions for the location of the event and build a boat accordingly. For example, his class of boat was defined, so he couldn't change the design, but within the design parameters there was still flexibility. So if they were expecting light winds and waves, they would make the boat out of thinner materials and if they were expecting heavier conditions they would make the boat from thicker materials to make it more robust.

Another example was that before major events, he would go on a diet (a pizza diet) and gain weight (about 50lbs / 25kg or so) in order to make himself heavier relative to the weight of the boat. This allowed him to move more of the weight of the total unit around by moving around the boat to try to gain an advantage. He would lose the weight after the competition.

These were just a couple of the things that he did, there would have been many others.

Most of these sorts of people are obsessive, so they are very good at one thing and suck at everything else.

This guy sounds exactly the same as the freediver I described. You can tell by these crazy sacrifices only to slightly boost the performance. It's so crazy that he would gain such a crazy amount of weight and destroy his health just to gain a competitive advantage.

Interesting last point... I'm a generalist and this actually makes me think that I suck at everything because I'm at best average in everything I do. I'd rather be a specialist and be very good at one thing.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
They truely are built differently. Especially in the sense of sacrafice to what the normal script looks like. It takes insane dedication to be the elite top.

The other side of that.... do you NEED to be elite to live a happy and fulfilled life? Often times not.

Great writing MTF, I agree with Rob (@Fox ) !

Thank you.

Being happy and fulfilled is a different thing for sure though I'd say that if you're this obsessed about something, you probably have a very strong sense of meaning in life which automatically makes you happy and fulfilled.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Unless you're purely a solopreneur who insists on doing EVERYTHING by himself, you don't have to be a world-class performer at your trade.

I expected this argument and I kind of agree and at the same time don't agree with it.

I get your point about being a captain. At the same time, elite performance applies to being a captain, too.

One CEO will be 100000x better than another one because he'll be fine spending 16 hours a day in the office 52 weeks a year and giving up his entire life only to be the best CEO possible. If this person happens to lead a company competing with you, they'll take away all the best talent and dominate your market.

The first example that comes to mind is Steve Jobs.
  • 0 skills as an electrical engineer.
  • 0 skills as a software developer.
  • Multi-billion dollar tech company.

How is this even possible?

Good captain:
  • Superior vision
  • Superior leadership
  • Obsession with product quality

Well that is exactly the definition of an elite performer in this context. Very few people are capable of being like Steve Jobs because they lack the superior vision, leadership, and obsession with product quality.

And like I wanted to portray this with my story, when someone thinks they're obsessed with something (like product quality) they probably aren't doing even 1/100 of what a true elite performer is doing. It's like Elon Musk reading some old Russian handbooks on how to make rockets. This isn't something any regular person would ever do.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Great thread, I think the takeaway should be to get around some people like this so you can see adjust your mindset and work ethic baseline after seeing what insane execution really looks like

I kind of wonder how much you can adjust your mindset and work ethic if you aren't a true elite performer. I mean, it's all fine to spend a day with a person like that but realistically, how much can you improve if you haven't been this obsessed until now?

Maybe you're in the wrong field if you aren't this obsessed. Or maybe you just don't have it in you to ever become one.

I imagine that you'd need constant exposure and interaction with such individuals to really make a big difference in how you operate (as a result of a long process of osmosis) instead of meeting them just once.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
In some sense, believing that you're an elite performer, or that you need to be one, is a limiting belief!

Great post.

It could also be an empowering belief. Some people put a lot of pressure on themselves to be the best. Then they meet a true elite performer and they realize they will never, ever get anywhere close to them in that field.

This can free them to pursue something else where they may develop this level of obsession or simply be happy with their limited capabilities.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Personally I've met only one person 'wired differently' to the point their intellect seemed superhuman to me. Not an athlete or musician, where you realize they have put in decades of training. It was a young academic and child prodigy with photographic memory or some type of extreme computational ability. Like their brain ran 10x faster than mine, and my brain is decently sharp. Humbling experience.

If you asked a long complex question, he would answer you before you finished the question. After hearing just a few words, he predicted the rest of the question, processed the problem and formulated an answer immediately.

Thankfully, life is all about asking good questions, not giving a perfect answer.

Sounds like this dude:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I agree with the topic of the thread.

You have to make Sure you compete in an area where you have an edge. That might mean picking a niche that is smaller than your ambition.

I like the concept of combining expertise in more than one area to become hard to compete with.
If you are a top 10% content writer and a top 10% leader and you have top 10% knowledge in MMA you could build a content agency, leading great employees, for MMA related businesses .
The high performers in each of the 3 areas can't compete with you now and there are likely few people in the world who can. Yet you dont have to be elite at anything to do it.

I love this idea. Thanks for sharing that. You're essentially engineering a situation in which becoming an elite performer is inevitable.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I kind of wonder how much you can adjust your mindset and work ethic if you aren't a true elite performer. I mean, it's all fine to spend a day with a person like that but realistically, how much can you improve if you haven't been this obsessed until now?

Maybe you're in the wrong field if you aren't this obsessed. Or maybe you just don't have it in you to ever become one.

I imagine that you'd need constant exposure and interaction with such individuals to really make a big difference in how you operate (as a result of a long process of osmosis) instead of meeting them just once.
I agree you’ll never be this obsessed by reading a book, taking a course or being around someone who is, there’s no amount of motivational videos and pre workouts that can turn you into this, but it will still lift you up

I agree too that if you pick something you are obsessed with like this you’ll do better than something you aren’t

Where I think we disagree is that I don’t think it matters

Good enough is good enough

Do what you like

Do what you are good at

Do things in your own unique style

Do your best

That’s all that matters

No one can do what you do in the way you will do it

Apple exists yet people still buy shitty androids

There’s probably some objectively best shoe or t shirt out there yet there’s also someone with their own unique designs happily selling them to people who resonate with them

I just don’t think it matters that much

It’s not this much of a competition

Build a business your way how you like it and how it suits you

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
When it comes to deciding if you’re prepared to pay the price to reach a particular level, I think that’s a good consideration, but things like this mainly apply to sports or skills, not business. You have to be realistic about what you can achieve with the time you’re willing to invest.

I think that this consideration is very important. You need to be super clear if you're doing something only as a passion or if you want to become really good at it. If you're still going to enjoy it even if you always suck, then of course it makes no sense to ever compare yourself to anyone else.

Business isn’t about being the absolute best, it’s about getting the job done. You don’t need to have a IQ of 200 or be an Olympian.

For sure. You just need to be very cautious not to enter a field where you do need to have these resources. For example, in general, I'd say that any software business does require having a crazy high IQ. Otherwise you won't be able to effectively lead your developers and understand what the F*ck they're doing.

I liked your point about competing locally, and totally agree. Dominating a local scene isn’t that difficult, generally speaking the competition is pretty poor locally.

That's of course assuming that your local scene is big enough to get the results you're after. Otherwise you need to target a bigger scene.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I agree you’ll never be this obsessed by reading a book, taking a course or being around someone who is, there’s no amount of motivational videos and pre workouts that can turn you into this, but it will still lift you up

I agree too that if you pick something you are obsessed with like this you’ll do better than something you aren’t

Where I think we disagree is that I don’t think it matters

Good enough is good enough

Do what you like

Do what you are good at

Do things in your own unique style

Do your best

That’s all that matters

No one can do what you do in the way you will do it

Apple exists yet people still buy shitty androids

There’s probably some objectively best shoe or t shirt out there yet there’s also someone with their own unique designs happily selling them to people who resonate with them

I just don’t think it matters that much

It’s not this much of a competition

Build a business your way how you like it and how it suits you

Okay, I understand your point now. If you have no other options then sure, you'll go with good enough. But if you do have options, there's usually only one elite performer/company who can satisfy what you're looking for.

So if you're not an elite performer, I guess it's also in some ways a matter of positioning yourself in such a field that your potential customers are fine with a product that does the job but isn't objectively the best.

Sort of like selling good enough hiking gear for people who spend time outdoors every now and then vs people who explore the remotest and most dangerous parts of the world where they need the most elite gear possible to improve their chances of survival. In the latter, you do need to be an elite performer or you can be responsible for someone's death. Same goes for, say, aviation. I wouldn't want to fly in a "good enough" plane lol.

Android exists yet people still buy shitty overpriced Apple products

I fixed it for you ;)

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
However, there are also Elite Performers in terms of getting the job done. Some people have the genes to only need 4 hours of sleep to feel fully rested. Some people are willing to sacrifice their health, family, relationships, and leisure time to achieve goal X. These people might have started their first lemonade stand at 6 years old coming from an entrepreneurial family.

As a former professional poker player, I was aware that I wasn't an autistic, obsessed kid with an IQ of 150 and a photographic memory. I didn't have any business trying to compete with the best high-stakes players in the world. And I didn't had to. To win at poker you simply have to play against players that a weaker than you. It's called table selection. And guess what... if you don't know who you have an edge against at the poker table it's likely that you have no edge at all. If you don't know your competition to the degree that you know why you are better than them chances are you are not.

Last edited:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Okay, I understand your point now. If you have no other options then sure, you'll go with good enough. But if you do have options, there's usually only one elite performer/company who can satisfy what you're looking for.

So if you're not an elite performer, I guess it's also in some ways a matter of positioning yourself in such a field that your potential customers are fine with a product that does the job but isn't objectively the best.

Sort of like selling good enough hiking gear for people who spend time outdoors every now and then vs people who explore the remotest and most dangerous parts of the world where they need the most elite gear possible to improve their chances of survival. In the latter, you do need to be an elite performer or you can be responsible for someone's death. Same goes for, say, aviation. I wouldn't want to fly in a "good enough" plane lol.

I fixed it for you ;)
You are comparing the best free diver in the world to business

The best businessmen in the world are Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, Zuckerberg etc

Your goal is to make a few million so you can buy a few homes around the world

You wouldn’t even make a local rich list let alone best in the world rich list with money like that

Are you going to tell me all of those guys who have enough for 3 houses are obsessed like the freediver?

I think you are overthinking things

And no I’m not saying someone will deliberately buy a worse product, but they will buy a different product, they will buy your version of the product the way you create it

Your writing is objectively better than mine but mine is still different, no one can spew out my nonsense thoughts on this forum the way I do

And you took the bait perfectly with the android apple thing, they aren’t better than each other, they are different

Let’s take writing as an example, there’s no best newsletter, or best podcast, or only rank 1 on google for every single term gets every click and they’re all from the same person who’s the best writer

Short form content too

There’s no best creator, there’s no best video

Or hardest working most obsessed creator

People create videos in their style whether it takes 2 minutes or 2 days is good or bad, doesn’t matter people watch it and enjoy it, some like Mr beast, some like brg

Imagine if someone made the best song and everyone only listened to that song

Products and businesses are the same

It’s not billionaire or trillionaire Fastlane, we’re only trying to become millionaires here and speaking of that there’s not even a best social media app and they’re all billion dollar companies, they’re all just different

Also by good enough I’m not saying produce shit. You would fly in a good enough airplane, there’s no objective best airplane, or airline.

Hell boeing isn’t even making good enough planes and people are still getting on them.

Virgin is a good example of this, Richard Branson picks industries that he thinks people are doing the wrong way and does them differently. It’s what I describe when I say different and good enough.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
However, there are also Elite Performers in terms of getting the job done. Some people have the genes to only need 4 hours of sleep to feel fully rested. Some people are willing to sacrifice their health, family, relationships, and leisure time to achieve goal X. These people might have started their first lemonade stand at 6 years old coming from an entrepreneurial family.

As a former professional poker player, I was aware that I wasn't an autistic, obsessed kid with an IQ of 150 and a photographic memory. I didn't have any business trying to compete with the best high-stakes players in the world. And I didn't had to. To win at poker you simply have to play against players that a weaker than you. It's called table selection. And guess what... if you don't know who you have an edge against at the poker table it's likely that you have no edge at all. If you don't know your competition to the degree that you know why you are better than them chances are you are not.

Great point and thanks for sharing the example with poker.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
You wouldn’t even make a local rich list let alone best in the world rich list with money like that

I think you're underestimating how poor Poland is compared to Australia lol. You don't really need to make much to be one of the richest people in your city.

According to the latest reports, in Poland there are only 43,000 people who make more than 1 million PLN which is 240k USD per year. According to Credit Suisse there are only 100,000 USD millionaires in Poland. That's compared to 2,177,000 in Australia which has 26 million people compared to 37 million in Poland.

As for the rest, I get your point and now understand it better and do agree with most of what you said.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

I fixed it for you ;)
Your fixed quote shows that even being "the best" is relative.

I'll argue that the only thing that matters is that you solve a problem. Loosing the business "competition" doesn't mean you get nothing, it means your Samsung and not Apple.
It means your Frankfurts second largest Cleaning business.
Or the fifth largest.

That may still be millions a year.

Enough stupid and lazy people have gotten reasonably successful, therefore I know that I can become as successful as I need to be by being just a above outstanding and far below incredible.

Top 1% means you need to beat 100 people. 80 of them aren't even trying and 15 are stupid. I can beat 4 other people that are trying.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.