The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So I dropped out... Here's why

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Only got 20 bucks to my name after rent and everything. I wish you had an option to buy a month of INSIDERS . I would gladly give what I have to learn more now

You have plenty of time and likely need the time and some breathing room to chart your future. Don't be into big of a hurry. You are probably going to need to experience some more life before you break through. For now, whatever your hands find to do do it with all your might. Be the best employee/manager/district manager your franchise ever had. Use that as your launching point. You are not likely to start from scratch with a big heart but no experience to draw from. Have to live a little before the world will start to reveal its vulnerabilities to you.

Statistic show that half of the kids from your high school never went to college. Statistics also show that half of the kids that were in your freshman orientation a college will never get a degree. All you did was shortened the cycle for yourself and not go through the pain and the debt to get to the same end. Or Start I should say.

You get a five-year jumpstart on everybody else. It's what you do in that period of time… That five years, that will determine whether or not it was worth it for you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
College threads always intrigue me, not I never participate in them since it's moot. I have an MS in CS and I build software so it worked out for me. Anyways, OP, read the gold threads. I sense you're similar to @GrumpyCat so read his threads. Or I could be off base.... Anyways read the gold thread and the book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToniLene

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 9, 2015
This is because everybody and their grandmother go to university. There is an oversupply of people who got a 'qualification' from an overpriced institution offering a very, very expensive piece of paper.
Tertiary education should not be the default 'go-to' plan of action. It should be the exception.

Tl;dr:
Everything has an opportunity cost.
For most people, the opportunity cost of going to university instead of investing your time doing something perhaps more worthwhile, simply far outweighs the possible benefits of going to university in the first place.

Everybody and their grandma may go to university, but everybody and their grandma don't graduate which is why having a degree sets you apart from those that do not. Furthermore, many low income bracket folks can attend college practically for free with Pell Grants and scholarships, as I did just that a decade ago and the same opportunities exist today. Also, 2 year trade schools are relatively cheap.

The USA has a massive amount of uneducated people stuck in a cycle of generational poverty that they will likely never recover from without obtaining higher education. You're talking to the wrong person if you believe that higher education is a waste of time(and money). I know from personal experience that their is value in both options(college & entrepreneurial), depending on your life circumstances.

Sure, if you have access to resources that will help you start a(successful) business great, but not everyone has that accessibility. What do you propose they do to earn a living? Minimum wage isn't going to cut it. That's why there is now an activist movement in the USA to raise the minimum wage --you have uneducated people with no other option but to work entry level jobs and rather than get an education, so that they can leave McDonald's(or wherever) they demand more money. Anyway, now I'm veering off topic, so I'll stop.

Last edited:

ToniLene

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 9, 2015
I joined the army straight from school, become an Avionics technician and now earning thousands more than any of my friends with degrees. I have no formal qualifications.

Best of luck to you!

Your qualifications are your military experience. Do you think that anyone would let you near a plane without that experience or a degree?

Sounds like my younger brother. He did something similar(Air Force) and is now making 6 figures as a contractor. He did 8 years in the military.

Last edited:

Arty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Oct 3, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
You're talking to the wrong person if you believe that higher education is a waste of time(and money).
But that's just the thing; it's not about education at all. It's about paying a premium price for a pretty piece of paper that somewhat increases your chances of getting employed.
In terms of actual education, and not schooling, you can get a better education in a public library, and, of course, on the internet, for free.

What do you propose they do to earn a living?
Children from families living on minimum wage are likely not going to be attending university, so this point is moot. They're going to continue working jobs intended for teenagers, as they always have.
In Australia, the most popular option, by far, for highschool dropouts, is to be a blue collar worker, and then later on in life start your own blue collar business.

ToniLene

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 9, 2015
The majority of businesses fail because they do not follow the principles of CENTS.

No, not every entrepreneur will be successful. But those who take the correct actionable steps, and create a business that actually fulfills a need in the marketplace, greatly increase their chances.

At this point in the thread I am not even sure what you are trying to argue.

That OP should go back to college? College will always exist as an option for him.

That OP dropped out because he's lazy / the work was too hard? Maybe yes, maybe no. You could be right. But that's assuming an awful lot about him as a person, which is surprising coming from you given the fact that every other post of yours is dismissing people because of a lack of citations.

Did you not comprehend my previous posts? I already wished OP well. I'm speaking about the economy in general. Everyone can't just start a business.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
College graduates earn 84% more than high school grads, study says
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2011/08/college-gradutates-pay.html

LOL, amazing that seemingly educated people still buy into these bullshit surveys with multivariate inputs and selection biases. They're inaccurate and worthless datapoints due to an inherent selection bias. The results are equivalent to saying "Men who are 7 feet tall are 72% more likely to play basketball, study says." Uh, OK, gee thanks.

My favorite quip is "it's a fall-back" which is equally cringeworthy. There's nothing to fall back on when the jobs don't exist. Thousands of dollars in backbreaking debt isn't a fall-back, its take-down.

ToniLene

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 9, 2015
LOL, amazing that seemingly educated people still buy into these bullshit surveys with multivariate inputs and selection biases. They're inaccurate and worthless datapoints due to an inherent selection bias. The results are equivalent to saying "Men who are 7 feet tall are 72% more likely to play basketball, study says." Uh, OK, gee thanks.

My favorite quip is "it's a fall-back" which is equally cringeworthy. There's nothing to fall back on when the jobs don't exist. Thousands of dollars in backbreaking debt isn't a fall-back, its take-down.

Sure, when your entire premise is that the jobs don't exist, your comment makes perfect sense. The truth is that the jobs DO EXIST, but the average American isn't prepared/educated for tech or skilled labor jobs which is why so many jobs are outsourced. There is a shortage of plumbers and other trades workers(all of which can be accomplished with a 2 year community college degree and minimal debt, if any.) It's a fallacy to believe that you have to go into debt to get an education.

Some people actually work(gasp) and go to school without inquiring debt. You aren't going to inquire huge amounts of debt by attending a state university or CC unless you just take out loans for the hell of it --which a lot of people actually do. It's quite common for students to take out loans to live on rather than work while enrolled in college, so of course you're going to be in debt if that's your plan.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/worker-shortage-hammers-builders-1433870179
"U.S. builders shed more than 2 million jobs during and after the housing bust. Now they say they can’t find enough carpenters, electricians, plumbers and other craftsmen for a growing pipeline of work."

http://www.industryweek.com/skilled-workers
A recent report called “The Skills Gap in U.S. Manufacturing 2015 and Beyond” projects that, “Over the next decade, nearly three and a half million manufacturing jobs will likely need to be filled, and the skills gap is expected to result in 2 million of those jobs going unfilled.”

Why are there any jobs left?
https://reason.com/blog/2015/08/28/why-are-there-any-jobs-still-left

Last edited:

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
I think something that is good to realize is OP doesn't feel college is right for him or will bring him happiness or success so he is going a different route. I don't think posting statistics and arguing with literally everyone is going to change his mind, especially for the better. He's thought about his situation and knows more about himself than you do.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Jul 24, 2007
There is a shortage of plumbers and other trades workers(all of which can be accomplished with a 2 year community college degree and minimal debt, if any.)
I have always trained my own. "Here is the ABS pipe and here are the tools. This is what it should look like when it is done". "This is the copper pipe and this is PEX. I want PEX in this situation and copper in this one. Here are the tools and this is how you solder." If it is not right when completed, I rip it out and let them start again.

blackbrich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern USA
@SteveO
Was just reading an article about the "skills gap" being largely a myth.
What you do, something many employers aren't willing to do apparently, was cited as a factor in them not being able to find the "right skills".

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Jul 24, 2007
@SteveO
Was just reading an article about the "skills gap" being largely a myth.
What you do, something many employers aren't willing to do apparently, was cited as a factor in them not being able to find the "right skills".
When I coached sports, I looked for raw talent. Other coaches would seem to go with experienced players. I wanted strength and speed. My teams won more often than theirs.

There is a reason that the word "talent" is used so often.

Austin Barton

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 7, 2015
I think something that is good to realize is OP doesn't feel college is right for him or will bring him happiness or success so he is going a different route. I don't think posting statistics and arguing with literally everyone is going to change his mind, especially for the better. He's thought about his situation and knows more about himself than you do.

Whenever i see statistics it just makes me want to try even harder to prove to my friends/family/community that its possible especially with hard work and commitment. My Attitude gets better not worse.

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
So you'd rather work at Papa Johns than go to college? Alrighty then...
ToniLene - I bet this kid will own the franchise in the time it takes most people to get an undergrad. How stupid would you feel for the comment you made...?! :)

Dude - money has nothing to do with knowledge. Income has to do with knowledge. Money has to do with selling your knowledge. They teach you the knowledge in college, but too often they don't teach you how to sell it...

Austin Barton

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 7, 2015
ToniLene - I bet this kid will own the franchise in the time it takes most people to get an undergrad. How stupid would you feel for the comment you made...?! :)

Dude - money has nothing to do with knowledge. Income has to do with knowledge. Money has to do with selling your knowledge. They teach you the knowledge in college, but too often they don't teach you how to sell it...

After I get money from whatever it is haha I planned on actually buying a franchise cause I know how it's all fun. Right now I talked to my boss about working myself up in higher management while I work on my business plans and then buy a franchise. Sit back not even work there but just let the cash role in! Thanks for the nice comment man

ToniLene

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 9, 2015

Hmm, how can you "bet this" based on a few comments? OP started his first post by saying that "hopefully" things will work out, or something to that affect.

I wouldn't feel stupid at all, because I've already wished OP well.

ToniLene

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 9, 2015
After I get money from whatever it is haha I planned on actually buying a franchise cause I know how it's all fun. Right now I talked to my boss about working myself up in higher management while I work on my business plans and then buy a franchise. Sit back not even work there but just let the cash role in! Thanks for the nice comment man

Yeah, that's exactly NOT how to run a franchise. Do your research because that current mindset won't get you very far.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Hmm, how can you "bet that" based on a few comments? OP started his first post by saying that "hopefully" things will work out, or something to that affect.

So if you wish someone well, while insinuating they're a moron... does that offset?

Like... can I call someone a dumb a$$ but then compliment their wardrobe and the net effect is a wash?

I'm struggling with taking your advice on how the world works.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Yeah, that's exactly NOT how to run a franchise. Do your research because that current mindset won't get you very far.

He's young. He has a lot to discover. Working hard and experiencing life will help with that. We were all young once.

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Hmm, how can you "bet this" based on a few comments? OP started his first post by saying that "hopefully" things will work out, or something to that affect.

OP is young, which gives him the right to be stupid. We can fix that. However, he has vision - that is something that cannot be imparted. It's an inner thing. It's either there, or it's not. I'll put my bets on someone stupid but with vision, rather than someone smart but without...

OP has a lot to learn - obviously. But, it is the stupid among us that start projects and finish them. You've got to be stupid to work as hard as we do! Smart people go to college and get a job with benefits...

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
OP is young, which gives him the right to be stupid. We can fix that. However, he has vision - that is something that cannot be imparted. It's an inner thing. It's either there, or it's not. I'll put my bets on someone stupid but with vision, rather than someone smart but without...

OP has a lot to learn - obviously. But, it is the stupid among us that start projects and finish them. You've got to be stupid to work as hard as we do! Smart people go to college and get a job with benefits...

speed+

I have a high energy kid. People constantly think I should break her spirit. They want her to be more like what they think she should be like. I have no intention of breaking her spirit. I will help her shape it, but I am not interested in her becoming homogenized because other people like that more. They can take the splinter out of their own eye before they try and fix the spec in hers. I think kids like her are likely the ones that end up changing the world.

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
speed+

I have a high energy kid. People constantly think I should break her spirit. They want her to be more like what they think she should be like.
It's not about your kid. It's about people being afraid to face the reality of what it feels like to be just a small image in her rear view mirror - so, they try to "keep her safe"...

My kids are twins. My son was diagnosed with Autism when he was 3. His spirit was unbroken. He punched life in the mouth, and continues to do so every day. And today he is basically recovered...thanks to my wife's efforts (she just joined, @Patrisha L. ) I tell both of my children - punch life in the mouth, and when it punches back don't forget to get up.

The rest is just semantics. OP will get there

ToniLene

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 9, 2015
So if you wish someone well, while insinuating they're a moron... does that offset?

Like... can I call someone a dumb a$$ but then compliment their wardrobe and the net effect is a wash?

I'm struggling with taking your advice on how the world works.

LOl, I'm not asking you to take my advice. I offered an alternative opinion. Depending on one's goals, only they can choose which path to take. It doesn't necessarily mean it will work, but that's life. We will all sink or swim based on our choices in life.

Last edited:

Austin Barton

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 7, 2015

Oh. I must not be a manager at a current papa johns and know that papa johns has specific action to take to owning a franchise. That will include me hiring staff and checking on numbers every week. But as far as making pizzAs I won't have to do any of that. So as far as me sitting back as I said I mean what I'll be doing won't be anything too stressful or I wouldn't have to be working 40 hours a week. But again you know more about papa johns than I do. My apologize

blackbrich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern USA
I think more people were turned off by the condescending tone you took towards the OP than the content of anything you said.

Tapatalk を使用して私の SPH-L720 から送信

ToniLene

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 9, 2015
Oh. I must not be a manager at a current papa johns and know that papa johns has specific action to take to owning a franchise. That will include me hiring staff and checking on numbers every week. But as far as making pizzAs I won't have to do any of that. So as far as me sitting back as I said I mean what I'll be doing won't be anything too stressful or I wouldn't have to be working 40 hours a week. But again you know more about papa johns than I do. My apologize

I speak from experience. If you think that owning a franchise will allow you to just "sit back and watch the money role in" or however you stated it, yes, you have a lot to learn. You may not be making pizzas, but you damn sure better be a visible presence and continue growing the business --which requires you to do much more than sit back and cash in. As a franchisee you'll be working 40+ weeks, lol.

ToniLene

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 9, 2015
I think more people were turned off by the condescending tone you took towards the OP than the content of anything you said.

Oh, well. My writing tone can be a bit blunt. I try to get points across quickly and might not always sound like peaches and cream. Different opinions should be welcomed even if you disagree.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Oh, well. My writing tone can be a bit blunt. I try to get points across quickly and might not always sound like peaches and cream. Different opinions should be welcomed even if you disagree.

Your adversarial posting style will generally get dismissed by a forum that operates a bit differently than the rest of the web. As a self filtering forum, you may get bored when people don't engage in the debate often here. Nobody is really here for a fight. Constructive criticism flows freely here, but usually for the betterment and not the disparagement of the posters. You might want to read a bit and get the hang of the place. You have a lot of insight and opinions that will be of value to the forum, if we can get you to lend them in a positive/constructive fashion. We're less interested in your wit, and more interested in you unpacking the depth of your experiences here for other people to gain from. That said, I do hope you hang around.

WAMBST

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 14, 2015
Le Mans - France
I don't know why, but as soon as you speak about startup, there is a lot of people thinking that there is a cultural opposition between school and entrepreneurship... I am not living in the US, but we now have the same debate in France. Some gourous, real ones, not those who just try to sell you something, but the new batch of digital leaders, are sometimes confusing between knowledge and administrative system... For sure, school is the temple of knowledge, but I think you need to learn the different languages of knowledge (maths, sciences, foreign languages...) before you will be able to use it in a specific way, and to create something. Maybe you need to go further at school…
AND... for sure, but maybe it's a french point of view on education, scholl doesn't aim at showing you how to catch customers and easn money.
BUT... it should be easier if you can refer to a strong knowledge basement in which you can find some tracks... and for the construction of which you have learned to reason by yourself...

I think there is no opposition between school and entrepreneurship. It’s just a relation of complementarity. For sure you will have to adapt your knowledge from school to markets, and to complete it with “real life” experience… but it seems to be better to adapt a strong basement than only a part of it… The decision is yours…

blackbrich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern USA
The way we look at school may also have to do with price.
I don't live in France but I've looked at some figures and the college tuition on average seems to be significantly lower in France than the US.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.