The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should you mention your competitor if they are a huge company?

marc100

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jul 21, 2011
Santa Clara, CA/ Silicon Valley
If your business competes with a huge well known business, should you mention them as your business model?

For example i look at https://duckduckgo.com and the first question they get asked is "How are you different from Google"
Their answer is basically that "Google tracks you, we don't".

duckduckgo-google-tracks-you-we-dont.png

Is it smart to do this?

Pros:
1. When everyone knows and uses your competitor and you mention your competitor then people will instantly understand your business.
"Our product is like a cheaper, faster, easier Oracle"
or
"We're like an Instagram for pet lovers"
or
"We're like eBay but for office chairs" will make people understand what you're doing immediately and not have to spend 3 minutes explaining it. With "Instagram for pet lovers" they will get it in seconds.
then it makes it easier to move on from there why your business is different or filling a need the big boys arent filling.

Cons:
1. It makes people think you'll never be able to compete with such a huge giant.
2. It could open you up to lawsuits from the company if they feel you are bad mouthing them.
"Google watches you, we dont" could open you up to a lawsuit.
"We're Amazon but easier to use" could make it sound like you are bad mouthing them.

These companies have billions to spend on lawyers and you have $0. They could sue you just for the fun of it.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
S

stranger

I think this is a bad idea to compare your business to big guys. Just do things better than these big guys and people will see you are really better.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
That is actually a very good question. Though I have never used anything of the sort for leverage in my marketing, I can see both the pros and cons. Just seems a bit too risky for my liking, as these monster companies can go litigious and really shut your entire operation down immediately if they wanted. Curious to see what others think though.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Interesting and thoughtful question. I will be watching as I am interested in people's responses to this

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

qewrtyass

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Apr 30, 2013
very bad.
its less ethical.
and you fight face to face the big smart tough guy who will smack you down into pieces.

but when you are at the same level, its common to do this in commercial/advertising.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.