The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Secret remedy

Jamillah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Sep 23, 2012
CO
I wish I could figure out what MJ's canker sore remedy is. I have scoured everywhere for something that works. They can be some painful little suckers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mr.Dietsch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 30, 2012
I think I became immune to cancer sores, is that even possible? idk. Anyways used to get them all the time, now I never do.

Jamillah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Sep 23, 2012
CO
It's a weekly occurrence for me. I bite my lip, and I can feel it coming. I wish I was immune. No fair :)

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I've been wondering this too!

I don't know if I'd honestly pay for a pill that prevented them. They are not so much of a problem. They rarely impede my eating.

Patrick E.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Sep 24, 2012
If you know that you get them weekly, incorporate a Hydrogen Peroxide and water mix into your brushing/rinsing regimen. Plus, you get the added effect of teeth whitening. As a matter of fact, i too used to get sores until i started with the H2O2. Now I don't get them at all and have replaced the typical mouthwash (dentist recommended) and my teeth are definitely whiter. :D

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
put a pinch of baking soda directly on to it. It hurts like a m'f' for a few minutes, but kind of burns it off and seals it.

Jamillah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Sep 23, 2012
CO
I'm going to test both of those remedies. I have tried using clove oil to somewhat numb the area, but it doesn't eliminate it. Oh well, I will keep on trying and testing.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Email me mj == at == fastlaneentrepreneurs.com and Ill tell you what I do/use.

Jamillah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Sep 23, 2012
CO
Wooohooo, I'll do that now, I can't wait to try it. I won't tell anyone, promise :D

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
I used to use Merthiolate and Mercurichrome back when they were available at the drugstore. Stung like a bitch, but it sure healed them up quick!

I'm sure I've got some kind of deadly heavy metal poisoning from it, but I think it's worth it. I hate canker sores.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I've never had a cold sore, and this thread makes me feel grateful for that.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've never had a cold sore, and this thread makes me feel grateful for that.

You have dodged a larger bullet than you probably realize. From wiki:

Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV-1) affected 57.7% of Americans tested in a 1999-2004 study.[2] By age 50, 80%–90% of adults have the virus.

Tiger

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 8, 2011
Ask your local pharmacist or dentist for Magic Mouthwash.

Magic Mouthwash Prescription Recipes and Formulas, by Dr. Randall Otterholt
Magic Mouthwash
Prescription Rx Recipes and Formulas

There is no standard formula for Magic Mouthwash. It's like trying to find the "best" meatloaf recipe; you will find many!

When the pharmacy gets a prescription for Magic Mouthwash, the pharmacist makes each one ("compounds") according to the prescribing physician's instructions or recipe.

Even many health care providers know about Magic Mouthwash, but assume there is ONE formulation and don't know the exact ingredients or proportions. When a prescription for Magic Mouthwash is given to a patient, it must contain specific ingredients, amounts, and patient instructions, so the pharmacist knows which one to make.

Here are some of the more common adult formulations.

Magic Mouthwash Recipe 1

Rx:

80 ml viscous lidocaine 2%
80 ml Mylanta
80 ml diphenhydramine 12.5 mg per 5 ml elixir
80 ml nystatin 100,000U suspension
80 ml prednisolone 15mg per 5ml solution
80 ml distilled water
Sig: Swish, gargle, and spit one to two teaspoonfuls every six hours as needed. May be swallowed if esophageal involvement.

Magic Mouthwash Recipe 2 (also called "Xyloxadryl" or "BMX")

Rx:

1 Part viscous lidocaine 2%
1 Part Maalox (do not substitute Kaopectate)
1 Part diphenhydramine 12.5 mg per 5 ml elixir
Quantity: 120 ml

Sig: Swish, gargle, and spit one to two teaspoonfuls every six hours as needed. May be swallowed if esophageal involvement.

Magic Mouthwash Recipe 3

Rx:

30 ml viscous lidocaine 2%
60 ml Maalox (do not substitute Kaopectate)
30 ml diphenhydramine 12.5 mg per 5 ml elixir
40 ml Carafate 1 gm per 10 ml

Magic Mouthwash Recipe 4

Rx:

100 ml dexamethasone 0.5 mg per 5 ml elixir
60 ml nystatin 100,000U suspension
100 ml diphenhydramine 12.5 mg per 5 ml elixir
contents of 3 capsules tetracycline 500 mg

All that said, many canker sores are caused by breeches in the skin where bacteria get in. Solution? Rinse with Listerine to keep bacteria levels in check.

My son used to get them often. We removed toothpaste and other products containing sodium lauryl sulfate as well as daily mouth rinses with Listerine. Hardly gets them anymore and if he does, it's because he slacked on his mouth care routine.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
If you know that you get them weekly, incorporate a Hydrogen Peroxide and water mix into your brushing/rinsing regimen. Plus, you get the added effect of teeth whitening. As a matter of fact, i too used to get sores until i started with the H2O2. Now I don't get them at all and have replaced the typical mouthwash (dentist recommended) and my teeth are definitely whiter. :D

Didn't help me. I used peroxide for about two years. Remind me to go to the store and get another bottle.

What it DID do was whiten my teeth.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Try taking Lysine pills... they help with cold sores and in general for immune system boosting.

whiteeclipse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
May 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
I think main reason for canker sores is based on your immune system, if you have a low immune system then you will higher chance of getting canker sores. I would get canker sores every year but for the past three years I added more veggies to my diet and I haven't received an canker score since. I make a green smoothie in the morning with almond milk, banana and kale and when I make scrambled eggs I add spinach to them now.

DreamsCameTrue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Jun 29, 2014
Hollywood Hills
There's some wrong info in this thread. Lysene is usually for cold sores, which are a completely different problem. Cold sores are caused by a variant of the herpes virus (generally not the same strain as genital herpes). Canker sores do not seem to be caused by any virus or bacteria that can be identified. No one is 100% sure what causes them, but they are usually accompanied by a high level of T cells that attack the area.

In other words, canker sores are caused by your own immune system attacking your mouth.

Topical steroids like cortisol are mentioned on wikipedia as a treatment, I might try that.

MJ- c'mon man give us the secret formula!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This reminds me of when someone told me they used to use hemorrhoid creme for wrinkles around the eyes. And this person thinks this is what women still use but they just put a different label on it. lol

I just remember using a tube of blistex creme for canker sores when I was in my twenties. I don't know if they make it anymore. It worked well for me.

akbigdog

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jun 24, 2014
Dallas, TX
MJ, did you ever market this product? Is there an e-commerce site online anywhere? Curious to see what you did with it, if anything.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.