The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Running out of cash.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
I left my job to work on my venture full time and im starting to run out of cash. Fortunately I still live with my parents so rent and living expenses are very low. They are starting to eat away at my savings that I had set aside though. I have some options luckily. I can find part time work, or get myself into credit card debt or find some type of work to do from home. I have been looking into Amazon mechanical turk because i can work on my own time from home but the pay isnt all that great. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Dont waste your time with mechanical turk, also don't get into credit card debt. If you need to, get a part time job. I know it sucks, but if your set on pursuing your dreams, make time for them. Sacrifice time with friends, and other hobbies. Work, then get done what you need to get done. Get up earlier, go to sleep later...Do what most people won't do, so you can have what others can't.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Dont waste your time with mechanical turk, also don't get into credit card debt. If you need to, get a part time job. I know it sucks, but if your set on pursuing your dreams, make time for them. Sacrifice time with friends, and other hobbies. Work, then get done what you need to get done. Get up earlier, go to sleep later...Do what most people won't do, so you can have what others can't.

As far as the credit card debt goes i have about 7months left in my interest free period so if my venture doesnt work out i can go back to welding and pay it off before it starts to snowball. My only issue with the part time work is the time issue as in do i need the money more or the time more.

I do hustle bmx bike parts but they are not always an easy sell. I should probably get back in the hustling game because it is quick money.

Last edited by a moderator:

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
749%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013

StayPositive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Mar 20, 2014
How about going back to 9-5 job (for a few months or a year)? I mean not a random job, but the one in the niche you are interested in. It is always a good way to:
1) Build some network with guys from your future market.
2) Learn something new about how your market works.
3) ...and of course - earn some money.

It will still leave you a lot of time to work on your side business. I'm in a similar situation and I'm able to spend about 6 hours a day on my own business and self-development stuff (+ weekends). That's a lot of time!

I hope it will be helpful.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,186%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I wish I could find a way to get another Amazon seller account, I would make amazing money hustliing like I use to.

Perhaps if you call them and explain your situation, they might be willing to work out a deal with you? I can't remember who told me this, but they were able to make two seller accounts by going this route.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Perhaps if you call them and explain your situation, they might be willing to work out a deal with you? I can't remember who told me this, but they were able to make two seller accounts by going this route.

I could try again. I've contacted them before and they were firm about "closed accounts stay closed." Maybe a different person would give me a favorable answer.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
How about going back to 9-5 job (for a few months or a year)? I mean not a random job, but the one in the niche you are interested in. It is always a good way to:
1) Build some network with guys from your future market.
2) Learn something new about how your market works.
3) ...and of course - earn some money.

It will still leave you a lot of time to work on your side business. I'm in a similar situation and I'm able to spend about 6 hours a day on my own business and self-development stuff (+ weekends). That's a lot of time!

I hope it will be helpful.

I am in the fitness niche so something like GNC may be a good bet. I would hopefully learn sales as well. I will look into it right now.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I could try again. I've contacted them before and they were firm about "closed accounts stay closed." Maybe a different person would give me a favorable answer.

Amazon can be a bitch like that, it's like with Google and Adsense. From what I've heard the best thing to do is to operate under someone else. You're giving up some control, but perhaps you can get a parent or a cousin or close friend to open up an account for you. Amazon doesn't report your earnings through them to the IRS so the other person wouldn't need to worry about that, and you would be able to easily file them yourself. Seems like the easiest way around it, Amazon still gets their fees and the IRS still gets you reporting your income.

StayPositive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Mar 20, 2014
I am in the fitness niche so something like GNC may be a good bet. I would hopefully learn sales as well. I will look into it right now.

Learning how to sell is a great thing - expecially when you can learn and make mistakes in 9-5 job. Also, I do recommend to learn copywriting (there is a famous thread about "30-days challenge"). I started not a long time ago and I really think this could be powerful.

When we learn it, we can sell almost anything. This skill will be valuable in every single activity we will be involved.

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
I left my job to work on my venture full time and im starting to run out of cash. Fortunately I still live with my parents so rent and living expenses are very low. They are starting to eat away at my savings that I had set aside though. I have some options luckily. I can find part time work, or get myself into credit card debt or find some type of work to do from home. I have been looking into Amazon mechanical turk because i can work on my own time from home but the pay isnt all that great. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I've done Mturk and even in hardcore mode I made only $100 in a month. The high paying jobs there are like impossible by the way.

Do you have any skills or knowledge you could make a mini freelanced business from either online or locally in person? You could work from home. For example, I used my drawing skills to do commissions for people. Good luck!

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Check http://www.appen.com/company/opportunities/#. They pay $20+/hr (might differ for the US) and the work is pretty easy to do and plentiful. Usually you'll have to do 4 hrs/day and a maximum of 20 hrs/week, sometimes 25 hrs. So that's easy money.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
I've done Mturk and even in hardcore mode I made only $100 in a month. The high paying jobs there are like impossible by the way.

Do you have any skills or knowledge you could make a mini freelanced business from either online or locally in person? You could work from home. For example, I used my drawing skills to do commissions for people. Good luck!

I went to school for welding and can weld pretty well. I have access to a welder but it costs 7$ in gas to get there and back and its not one of the greatest rigs either. I have access to a sandblaster too as well as 3d printers, lazer cutters, vinyl cutters and they are all in the same place.

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
If you can weld, you will have no issues getting money. Call local machine shops and mechanical contractors. There aren't a lot of you out there since we decided to make blue collar a bad thing......

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
If you can weld, you will have no issues getting money. Call local machine shops and mechanical contractors. There aren't a lot of you out there since we decided to make blue collar a bad thing......

I have a feeling they would want me full time. The production facility i was working at had me working 70 hours a week at 10$ an hour and got pissy when i told them i was leaving to pursue my own ventures lol

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
I went to school for welding and can weld pretty well. I have access to a welder but it costs 7$ in gas to get there and back and its not one of the greatest rigs either. I have access to a sandblaster too as well as 3d printers, lazer cutters, vinyl cutters and they are all in the same place.

That's a huge skill. 3D printers are becoming huge as well, hang on to that! Hehe. Hmm, maybe there is some way to work around that. Either way you have more options than most people! :)

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I have a feeling they would want me full time. The production facility i was working at had me working 70 hours a week at 10$ an hour and got pissy when i told them i was leaving to pursue my own ventures lol

Factories that I know of don't want the burden of labor and do what they can to minimize it.

Apply through a temp agency, tell them what you can do and specify you will do it 2-3 days a week. If they have a match they will let you know.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
That's a huge skill. 3D printers are becoming huge as well, hang on to that! Hehe. Hmm, maybe there is some way to work around that. Either way you have more options than most people! :)
I do live in a large city so i dont think there is a shortage of clients, i just dont know how to reach them and i dont want to take on a job and provide work that may not be up to their standards

I live in Dallas/Fort Worth Texas so there are tons of people locally. Im just at a loss for how i would get tons
Factories that I know of don't want the burden of labor and do what they can to minimize it.

Apply through a temp agency, tell them what you can do and specify you will do it 2-3 days a week. If they have a match they will let you know.
very good advice

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
I do live in a large city so i dont think there is a shortage of clients, i just dont know how to reach them and i dont want to take on a job and provide work that may not be up to their standards

I live in Dallas/Fort Worth Texas so there are tons of people locally. Im just at a loss for how i would get tons

very good advice

That's a good start, in my opinion. The fact that you already have things to use means you don't really have to spend any money starting up. I started by making something for someone and they told others. That is true. Can you improve your skills through Google/watching videos or is welding more of a formally taught process?

That's great! You could try going for magnitude instead if you are able to sharpen your skills. Or if you don't feel confident charging a lot, THEN try to get tons, however it's more efficient to go for higher price and less people when dealing with things done by hand. Welding can't really be automated unless you hired someone.

Sorry if I'm not really helping much by the way heh, I probably don't have any business trying to "advise" people yet. :p Just what I've taken away from experience and the book!

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
That's a good start, in my opinion. The fact that you already have things to use means you don't really have to spend any money starting up. I started by making something for someone and they told others. That is true. Can you improve your skills through Google/watching videos or is welding more of a formally taught process?

That's great! You could try going for magnitude instead if you are able to sharpen your skills. Or if you don't feel confident charging a lot, THEN try to get tons, however it's more efficient to go for higher price and less people when dealing with things done by hand. Welding can't really be automated unless you hired someone.

Sorry if I'm not really helping much by the way heh, I probably don't have any business trying to "advise" people yet. :p Just what I've taken away from experience and the book!

Welding is something that you have to learn hands on. I have people come to me all the time and they ask me if i can weld their exhaust pipes and stuff and yeah i can. It may not look the best but it will be better than most of the guys claiming to be welders. They always want me to weld materials that are two seperate materials or things that should be replaced rather than welded. I could take on jobs and make the welds nice and pretty but there are just things that shouldnt be welded lol. Also the machine i have access too doesnt have some of the functions i need and the process it uses isnt always the most suitable.

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
Welding is something that you have to learn hands on. I have people come to me all the time and they ask me if i can weld their exhaust pipes and stuff and yeah i can. It may not look the best but it will be better than most of the guys claiming to be welders. They always want me to weld materials that are two seperate materials or things that should be replaced rather than welded. I could take on jobs and make the welds nice and pretty but there are just things that shouldnt be welded lol. Also the machine i have access too doesnt have some of the functions i need and the process it uses isnt always the most suitable.

But could you do research online and then practice perhaps? That already makes me believe you are skilled. I guess all they really wanted was the problem fixed, and they didn't care about how it looked hahaha. Some people are like that. Well, I don't know a thing about welding but maybe you could just say what you offer based on your limitations. Maybe an answer will randomly pop up in your head. That's known to happen.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
But could you do research online and then practice perhaps? That already makes me believe you are skilled. I guess all they really wanted was the problem fixed, and they didn't care about how it looked hahaha. Some people are like that. Well, I don't know a thing about welding but maybe you could just say what you offer based on your limitations. Maybe an answer will randomly pop up in your head. That's known to happen.

Ive been welding for about two years so im pretty confident in my skill, but every job is different and im a perfectionist so that leaves me with a little hesitation knowing i may not live up to my standards. I could make something that they would be happy with but i wouldn't feel too good knowing that if that weld wasnt up to my standards and another welder saw the welds i would look bad if the welds werent good enough.

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
Ive been welding for about two years so im pretty confident in my skill, but every job is different and im a perfectionist so that leaves me with a little hesitation knowing i may not live up to my standards. I could make something that they would be happy with but i wouldn't feel too good knowing that if that weld wasnt up to my standards and another welder saw the welds i would look bad if the welds werent good enough.

Ohhh ok. You know, I had the same worry but here's the thing. Unless you're welding something for a pro welder, people will most likely be impressed enough. It seems like they have been already. I'm quite a perfectionist as well, but customers aren't going to be able to notice things like you would unless you're worried they will be comparing your performance to someone else's. Even if that happens, you can still find other ways to have an edge over others, like with customer service or dare I say charging a little less than competitors. Considering this isn't your "fastlane goal" maybe you could do that.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Ohhh ok. You know, I had the same worry but here's the thing. Unless you're welding something for a pro welder, people will most likely be impressed enough. It seems like they have been already. I'm quite a perfectionist as well, but customers aren't going to be able to notice things like you would unless you're worried they will be comparing your performance to someone else's. Even if that happens, you can still find other ways to have an edge over others, like with customer service or dare I say charging a little less than competitors. Considering this isn't your "fastlane goal" maybe you could do that.

Definitely. I could undercut and provide excellent customer service. Im just trying to make some side cash rather than making this my main goal.

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
Definitely. I could undercut and provide excellent customer service. Im just trying to make some side cash rather than making this my main goal.

There you go! That's fine then. Even as MJ has said, "It's ok to work at Taco Bell. Just don't make it your goal." Or something similar to that wording. :p

I'm not sure if this is uncalled for to say but would you mind checking out my last post I recently made and let me know if it's something you would ever use? I'd really like some more feedback.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.