The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progress Thread: Entering a Saturated $11.5 Billion Market

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
So this will be my progress thread on entering an over saturated $11.5B market.

The thing that intrigued me about this market is that the barrier to entry is medium, it's hard to enter without around $4k and yet it still seems very saturated.

One thing I noticed as a consumer of this marketplace is the marketing seems to be very generic and sometimes non existent...

It's a marketplace where product X looks exactly like product Y with the only differentiation being the font or color of the packaging.

I'm going to try to keep initial investments as small as possible, I'm sitting at around $1,100 invested so far and my projections say that worst case scenario I can dump on eBay to recoup the investment very quickly if need be.

That being said, Amazon and eBay sales for this product don't seem to be suffering as many of the listings have over 100 customer reviews.

Even better, the pricing on eBay and Amazon isn't suffering as with my cost per item if I sold at eBay and Amazon prices I'd have a margin of about $35 with a 350% markup.

My marketing will be something that grabs attention and relates to the customer.

Imagine this:
You're in walmart and there's 200,000 bottles of lotion along a 400' stretch of shelving. All look identical except the font and color of the package... And then there's mine. You'd be able to see if from across the store so to speak.

Also, this product is something that will help people of almost all ages and genders etc... And I'm going to devote about 30% of my initial inventory as free samples to people who hold a large number of followers or people who influence a group of people (think college professor, radio host, yoga instructor etc)

I'll keep updating as I proceed, but I'm excited and this is the first time I've had that gut feeling that this one is going to work...

Thanks for reading!

-McCoy Hawkins

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Yes, the $1,100 was for the prototypes.

been working on the website last couple days. I'm using an ecommerce platform that I'm planning to buy a lot of extentions to make it work exactly how I want.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Quick update:

1) Redesigning the store theme (thankfully im very fluent in web design)

2) put together a landing page to get pre orders while the final product is produced (havent put ads towards it yet)

3) contacted my sales rep to put together ideas for add on products to be released shortly after initial product launch

4) Setting up affiliate plans for internet marketers

5) increased price by $20 making my total margin $45

6) Adding more value thru custom packaging

7) adding more value by setting up an article database

8) Started outlining parameters for a series of short ebooks that will compliment the products as well as increase sales

Thats all for now, I'll keep you updated!
I hope to hear some input from some of you on my progress!

Thank so much
McCoy Hawkins

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Went out this evening and bought a few hundred dollars worth of office storage, shelving and supplies.

Getting things ready for the first shipment of product.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Purchased and started reading "The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding" in hope of finding new ways to properly brand my company with it's upcoming release of it's first 2 products to the marketplace. It appears that the book is a few years old (or decades) as the first portion of the book mentions the dotcom boom just ending and amazon just becoming a prime player in the marketplace,
but from what I've read so far I'm in for a good read...

If any of you are interested in the book check it out here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0060007737/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Tryin to decide wether to include articles of tips and knowledge about the products industry for free or as an additional paid membership... what do you guys think?

Nomad

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 6, 2013
I just finished reading that book - found it really useful.

As for giving away tips and knowledge for free, this can help you build trust as an expert in your field. There are many people that give away things for free online and still benefit.

You can still package these up into a book or report later to sell - most people are lazy and won't bother to do it themselves. Especially if you make a bit of effort and make it look nice (ebook, printable format for example)

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Thats what I figured. Also im planning on including a "free" short guide with tips and knowledge with each shipment to jistify the much higher price im charging.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Product should be here in the next week or so, so I went and bought a Canon Rebel T5i, a tripod and a couple lenses so I can take product photos.

Playing around with the camera it's crazy how high quality of a photo $1,100 can buy you. Can't wait to get crazy with different product photo ideas I have... I'm not just going to do the basic "here's my product on a white backdrop".... The photo is going to tell the story of how my product will help peoples lives. Because it will.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
I AM saving money... MY wife spends more on family / baby photos than we do on our house payment. :p hahaha

I think it will save me money over time. This isn't the only product I'm planning to need photos of in my life time. Plus it's just nice to have a nice camera handy. Idk, I guess I just see value in the price of the camera in more than one way.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Just a quick update... Manufacturer has been delayed due to their annual inspection as well as christmas... So that's frustrating.

Last night I was doing some brain storming and going over statistics and found a specific demographic that I think my product will work particularly well with and it just so happens that it's the fastest growing demographic in the ecommerce marketplace right now, and is expected to continue to grow over the next few years.

So that's exciting!!

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Found out today that there's going to be a slight production delay, but the designs are completed and I approved the first run. Unfortunate that the holidays are right now, putting a huge delay on production :/

I've also narrowed my target market down by Age and Annual Salary and I think with this specific group of people, this product will be VERY profitable and sell very well... I've also added 2 more accompanying products that will all sell as a bundle, making the overall margin $45 range depending on if I fulfill the orders or Amazon FBA etc...

More updates soon to come

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Haven't had a chance to update this until now...

• Converted to Subscription based product purchasing, rather than standard eCommerce, this will increase ROI for each customer
  • Thinking about doing direct mail (actual post office) in addition to normal online advertising
  • Created bonus items that will be shipped with the product. NO ONE ELSE IS DOING THIS in my industry, and I think it will add a ton of value and increase conversion rates dramatically.
  • First batch of product will be here Tuesday morning!!! <-- finally!
  • A little behind on launch, web development, graphic design and bonus item development is taking too long
Other than that, everything is running smoothly, and we'll be on the market within the week hopefully!

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
I've also narrowed my target market down by Age and Annual Salary and I think with this specific group of people, this product will be VERY profitable and sell very well...

How exactly did you do this (seat o' the pants intuition? data? guesstimate?)?

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
How exactly did you do this (seat o' the pants intuition? data? guesstimate?)?
I looked at what all of the other people in my category were doing and who they marketed to, and saw that if I changed a couple small things I could market to this other demographic which appears to be needing attention and no one is giving it to them

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.