The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New to the Fastlane Forum. What to learn first?

AndreHimself

Goat Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
May 12, 2015
LA
Hi everyone,

My name is Andre and I just found the Fastlane Forum a few weeks ago. I purchased MJ's book The Millionaire Fastlane right away and finished it in 4 days. It was the best book I've ever read. I've been reading different threads here on the forum and I just want to say thanks to everyone that contributes their time in giving helpful advice. I can't speak for everyone, but it really means a lot to me as a fastlane student just starting out and trying to learn as much as possible.

Even though MJ's book was straight to the point with no bs, I still feel kind of stuck and don't know where to begin. What do you folks recommend I learn first? I'm completely new to this.

I have a set goal of starting any business that provides value, but I don't have many ideas. Should I join the INSIDERS forum?

Not to bring up the college talk again, but I tried college and it just wasn't for me. I couldn't stand sitting in classes losing valuable time learning things I wouldn't be using in the real world just for a piece of paper that might get me a job making someone else rich. The problem is I don't want a job. I want to be an entrepreneur and provide the world with as much value as possible and make peoples lives easier. I'm 22 years old and I feel like time is running out quick.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to waste any more time not taking action. Thanks so much for your time.

-Andre

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Welcome to the forums Andre!

Since you're new, I would suggest reading through the GOLD Threads to see how proper execution and determination turned results for many forum users. Then check out posts from users with high speed points or rep (posters with very high speed and/or rep are usually the Millionaires). There is a goldmine of information even in the free areas.

You and I are both 22; we have plenty of time to try, fail, learn, and eventually succeed. Just remember that every second counts; don't waste time. Also, there are members here 40+ as well, which is still young considering what one can accomplish with Entrepreneurship in a 1-3+ year span. Having the drive to pursue your dreams is the big one here, and many people lose this drive later on in life when they get comfortable with the 'norm'.

If you eventually decide to become an INSIDERS, there are more in-depth explanations on process, and greater detail on many aspects of different business ventures. However, I would strongly suggest checking around the forum first, and start with the basics.

Last edited by a moderator:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Mindset - generosity (its a gold thread by icecream kid)
Learning to pay attention to what businesses are doing all around you
How to budget
Start brainstorming everyday and keep the best you come up with as notes

The journey is done mostly alone, so learn to be really patient and thorough
Develop a system that gets you closer everyday and you can do for years

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I still feel kind of stuck and don't know where to begin.

Read the Gold threads.
Stick around and contribute.
Wrap yourself into the mindset of a producer and a winner.

On the flip side, if you want to be like "most people" -- disappear. The intro forum is littered with such posts "I'm going to provide value!" and then bam, 24 hours later they're back to their old job, their old ways, and their old thinking.

I mean I get it, it feels good to write that things are going to change. But the truth is, nothing usually does until you do.

Should I join the INSIDERS forum?

No, that'd be like taking Algebra before basic math. The INSIDERS forum is a deeper look into process-- some of the threads are 10 and 20 pages long spanning months, sometimes years.

I want to be an entrepreneur and provide the world with as much value as possible and make peoples lives easier.

Then start small and grab one win, one sale, one "awesome", one something.

Getting started is about getting out there and doing something. Anything. I'm a big fan of just getting your feet wet, selling a TeeSpring shirt, cleaning up an antique piece of furniture bought from Goodwill and reselling, whatever. Learn how to make $10 before you can make $100, $1000, so forth.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Welcome! I would say that learning your own personal strengths and interests should be towards the top of the list. Read about ecommerce, software as a service, regular service businesses, wholesaling, etc. Learn what kind of businesses interest you and mesh with your personality.

I spent too long trying to make SaaS and service businesses work, when I really knew deep down that I should be working on a tangible, product related business.

Then, after you get a feeling for the direction you like, dig into that area. No need reading about SaaS biz if it doesn't interest you - you'd just be wasting time.

AndreHimself

Goat Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
May 12, 2015
LA
Thanks so much everyone for all the helpful advice. I'm really excited to start this journey. I'll start with the Gold threads.

I'll be on this forum everyday most likely and try to contribute as much as I can, but it might not be much since I still have a lot to learn.

On the flip side, if you want to be like "most people" -- disappear. The intro forum is littered with such posts "I'm going to provide value!" and then bam, 24 hours later they're back to their old job, their old ways, and their old thinking.

I mean I get it, it feels good to write that things are going to change. But the truth is, nothing usually does until you do.

I promise you I won't be disappearing. I mean, where would I disappear to, the Slowlane? No thanks :)

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
- Absorb as much knowledge as you can
- Read a lot of books. Shape your mindset and mentality
- Read all of the GOLD threads, as stated above
- Learn how to write COPY. (Search up the Gary Halbert 30-Day Challenge.)
Trust me, when I started out here, I was in the same boat as you. I had no ideas, I was just motivated by the book to do something. When I started reading Gary Halberts works and some of the GOLD threads, I have tons of ideas floating through my head. By reading the GOLD threads, I now possess the knowledge of how to implement my ideas.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Where to start. Many places....

Give people what they want. Go to a meetup.com group for a specific demographic and start figuring out their struggles.

juggler619

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 25, 2015
Abu Dhabi
thanks to the advice on this thread! being new here even i seem have some direction now.... gold post is solid.

knvduhon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 8, 2014
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong section but when I check in the Gold Thread it shows no topics.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Last edited by a moderator: