The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Money Makes you Happier

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
If you're going to ROYALLY F*ck UP my story, at least get my freaking name straight. I moved to Phoenix with $900. The "limo biz" you speak of, at least at that moment, was a one page website making enough money to afford a McDonalds Happy Meal. So NO, my business (or money) had nothing to do with my move-- it was my determination to make something of myself by any means necessary, even if that meant jumping out of the nest without knowing how to fly.

My apologies, it was a dumbass typo.
I didn't mean to infer you had money when you moved to Phoenix, that would be a ROYAL F*ckup, I agree.
Nothing about that move for you was easy, and I KNOW that.
I actually meant something far more complimentary and FAR more empathetic to your situation at that time.

What I meant to infer (though failed to do so) was that you had a mentality that was doing things (skillful) and when you did manage to get subsistance in the next several months you allowed the dream of Phoenix to take flight with that money and the website that you made into an asset during that time.

I hope I am not being too confusing when I say that the leverage you achieved in that timespan was skillful, and no matter how insignificant that money may be compared to what you have now it came from the line of thinking that makes money happen. You needed that cash to open your life up, and you made that happen.
You didn't sit around saying "money doesn't buy my happiness". You had (what I can only assume was) a "F*ck this has gotta get DONE" attitude, and you did it. The money leverage you created and that attitude of success allowed that little bit of cash to change your life.

I meant to infer the intensity. I meant to infer that all those conditions and contexts make that small amount of money you had, truly and profoundly important.

It doesn't matter the amount of money, but it matters the intent with which you use it, and with the intent you had and what you did make, you got that life change to take off.

I mean, its remarkeable. The attitude of pro biz independance NOT frugality, turned what you had into a tool for a significant life upgrade.

As unemotionally connected to that moment as I might seem to you, the truth is I empathise with the story you told.
Why?
Cuz I left my COUNTRY with 1500 or so dollars. I had to grind daily to make subsistance off my own businesses. I didn't have the same level of skill you did, I kept suffering on and on for almost 2 years, learning what I could about biz on the road before I finally created a BRAND that enables me to get up and out of the crap.

I feel I understand that story cuz I've lived enough of it to know how it feels.
Maybe I'm wrong, but the way I see it, is that your bearing towards success not towards mediocrity, allowed a path that WAS truly richer spiritually and financially.

I just think, "how can you say money isn't crucial to happiness, when the ability to create it, can change a guys life". I mean, how ignorant is it to say that you should have "not sought after money cuz it won't make you a happier person".
True it wasn't the money alone that did it, it was all you, but, that pursuit so free of nonsense allowed you to take freedoms and improve your outlook and happiness.

Would that have happened if you were afraid of succeeding?
It was fearlessness, an attitude that DID what it set out to, money making attitudes, not fear of making it that got you to that happier place, more in control of your destiny.

Hope that makes more sense.
Sorry for the typo, I know how irritating it can be to see that shit.

Summary:
I meant to say, that by transforming your financial situation, you allowed a move to work that did change your level of happiness.

Not "he had money, ho ho ho, look and it freely gave him the ability to move to phoenix cuz he had millions with a limo biz"
That would truly be retarded, if it were my point.

I got very quickly that you moved because shit was suffocating you where you were. Takes baaaaalls to do also.

Anyways, I didn't mean to be rude, sincerely.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'll bite for a second time because the thread is interesting and because it stimulates some deep discussions about life's most important thing: Happiness. For me being a millionaire is not worth the shot. Well, it is but for some reasons it is not.

Why? Because we live in a sidewalking world where the majority of people is mediocre and will judge you, criticize you and insult you if you are different and a millionaire. And that sucks.

Here's my perspective. Being the son of slowlane millionaires is often pretty difficult for me because let's say I'm a little different from others. First, I have a lot of class, I dress well, I eat well and I speak well.

So...people look at me differently and threat me differently,etc. They think I am rich because I love good things in life and I'm not just like them. Example : I go to the bar. Guys my age drink beer, jugs of beer. And they are all dressed like shit.

After guess what? They drive their car. Drink and drive, yes sir! I'm the guy who looks well and I'm the guy who orders a glass of italian red wine. Or if I walk calmly in the street and smoke a cigar when they get back from their work stressed like hell. I think to myself "F*cking sad". They often look at me, with a confounded look, or even an disturbed look on their face. Angry sometimes.

I'll tell you how it feels. It feels like shit. I'm not even a millionaire but I look like one and people don't like it.

And it pisses me off. I think I will aim for $100 000 a year from a business instead of millions. Unless if I live in Monaco. It just sucks when everyone around you is crappy and is full debt and you are almost the only one who's conscious with is money and behaviors. We have become a society of compulsive consumers who can never stop spending their money. You cannot print 85 billions a month when everyone is in debt including the government and expect the economy to survive.

What a F*cking loser post.

Hurdlerwayne

Man without vision shall perish!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Aug 13, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
I like receiving money more when I feel like I earned it. It gives me a sense of accomplishment! The sad thing is that feeling doesnt last because I'm always focused on growing my money. If my money isn't growing I feel like that high gradually comes down as it is spent.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I like receiving money more when I feel like I earned it. It gives me a sense of accomplishment! The sad thing is that feeling doesnt last because I'm always focused on growing my money. If my money isn't growing I feel like that high gradually comes down as it is spent.

Agreed

Bowden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2010
TAMPA, FL
Money is a powerful thing that affects people differently. Personally I like money because I control it. I don't let it control me and I don't have to go out and spend it to be happy. Just knowing I have money in case something happens makes me happy. I have more freedom because of money, which in turn allows me to spend more time with my family, which makes me happy. There are those who let money control them and their lives. They are probably the ones who fall under the "money can't buy happiness".

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
What I really want is social, status, power, Woman.
There is a reason Christian Gray is an entrepreneur and a Billionaire.

Freedom, and time are up there too. But I want to send a chauffeur driven 2014 black S Class to pick up some young hot girl who's number I thought earlier.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What Matters in Life? "Mexican Fisherman" Meets Harvard MBA:

Great story, except they left out the end of the story.

You know, that part where fisherman ends up becoming a bankrupt beggar without a roof above his head because he chose to spend his days F*cking around.

Soon after the Harvard grad left, the government came in and told the fisherman that he can no longer fish at his favorite lake because he couldn't afford to pay for the lake license.

Additionally, he could no longer afford to insure, certify, and license his boat which is soon after became mandated by the state. Unable to pay the fees for legal operation, insurance, licensing, docking fees, the "Mexican Fisherman" stopped fishing.

But it gets worse.

He then loses his boat to a mechanics lien-- he ultimately fails to pay the slip-fees to the dockmaster for harboring his boat.

The "Mexican Fisherman" now plays a different tune with his amigos ... something along the lines of "money can buy happiness."

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Here is my line that I use....money doesn't make me happy. All I want is for money to be a non-issue.

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
Money WILL buy me happiness. I love spending time with my girlfriend, and unfortunately, with school and work, we only have roughly 2 days a week together. We have been together for 2 years now. I also do not have a bunch of money to be spending taking her out to nice places, going on fun dates, etc. I feel even happier making her happy, and I know for a fact, she would love to go horseback riding, or take a ride in a Cesna or helicopter over Sedona, or take a short (and can be inexpensive) vacation often. Happiness for me and for us are experiences, not items, although we would both love an Audi R8 ;)

Guess what buys those things? Money! Guess what can allow her to work whenever she feels bored instead of working 40 hours a week? Money. Guess what allows me to spend a lot more time with my girlfriend, make her feel special, and someday make her my wife? Money. We both understand that now, but unfortunately some people don't, and some just do not agree because they will never escape the chains of a low paying JOB.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Does anyone NOT get happier when they get more money?

I would love to meet someone that gets mad at me for giving him a few hundred dollars lol.

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
Does anyone NOT get happier when they get more money?

I would love to meet someone that gets mad at me for giving him a few hundred dollars lol.

Yes! Lottery winners! Look it up!

Think rich kids, think gold diggers! They are miserable mostly.

There's a reason for the confusion. Humans look at statistics in a weird way, if 90% are unhappy after they get money they won't believe the rather than asking what they would do with that money and with that make them happy

Being 25 sitting on 25 mil would make me happy.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I want to finish my comments on this thread with a quote:

Money is not everything, but it ranks right up there with oxygen. - Zig Ziglar

D

DeletedUser394

Colts fan here.

With Arians on your team, I think you got a good shot for a little something.

You're going to love that vertical offense especially with Fitzgerald catching the balls, haha. And Carson Palmer should be okay provided that he has an adequate offensive line.

Good start for the Cardinals...

If they can tackle as hard as she can hit, they might get somewhere this year LOL Iraq War Vet Turned NFL Cheerleader Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting Boyfriend - ABC News

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I think, being ABLE to sort your money out is the key, to less stress, less manic behaviour, and financial confidence. And that shouldn't be ignored, whilst chasing money in itself is bad if it is a symptom of not being able to handle your finances, to chase the productivity of yourself in order to achieve A GOAL which might be monetarily measured is a good thing.

Money as a measurement can indeed have accurate things to say about most peoples ability to handle their finances, but it doesn't garuntee that if you judge them off this that you will be accurate.

Money can be a signal of how well your biz is doing, but its not omniscient, because your biz might be ready to break through or about to finally crash.

So really, you have to ask yourself, just wtf is a person saying when they talk about happiness and money? I think that is vague because the people that used it, were also vague in their intentions. What is the purpose of being vague? Usually its about creating a broad controlling statement, and in my experience, those statements are usually inconsiderate of specific circumstances and personal considerations. So then you might ask, "what is the point of this statement of happiness and money".

Its a strawman arguement. And what a strawman arguement is, is when someone puts up a perfect expectation, and then compares something to it to make it seem less in comparisson.

The strawman arguement used against cash, seems to be a wreckless way of dealing with the real task of
a) comforting and guiding friends
b) getting your financial stuff sorted

In short, why play into a manipulative statement when the truth has much more color?

Achieve real financial confidence, remove stress, and judge success off the understanding of how your biz REALLY is going.
Then will you be happy?

I think that life is more complex than that... Have you let your relationships slip? Is your lifestyle truly better?
Is excess and addictive behaviour causing you to avoid pursuing worthwhile goals and opportunities? Do you only judge worth through the glasses of money?

These things, are symptoms of a sadness inside, and they manifest as neglecting value that is independant of cash. But on the other hand, these are prevalent in all fields of expertise, an athlete, might have no relationship, might let his lifestyle slip in comparisson to what it could be (being too obsessive), might view worth as only those who can run fast, and might miss out on opportunities.

They are also symptoms of people who never succeed at anything. It seems these things are part of the human condition, and that happiness is about "checking yourself" but also pursuing your goals.

So, my conclusion is that "money won't make you happy", could be stated as "neglecting opportunity, won't make you happy".

And that statement says little about money at all because it also suggests, and rightly so, that you should pursue opportunities of passion, and biz. But it also states that you should take opportunities in life also.

My understanding of happiness is that it isn't as EASY as money. But it is rediculous to state that financial confidence and pursuing the goals of biz, (which may measure by money) is worthless in its pursuit.

We must all, solve something that is deeply complicated, and money can't solve problems, it can only incorporate people who might be able to.

Without money, our society would take a severe HIT in its ability to adapt and transform. And that adaption is key to many peoples survival.

I think, that once you extrapolate deep enough into this saying, it just reveals itself as a trivial expression, of no real significance, in regards to managing finances or managing happiness. So someone saying it, is a redflag, that they have nothing of substance to say on the matter, and are using a strawman to F*ck with you rather than provide real value.

Personally, I have higher standards for my mentors, than one who would provide me with a piece of advice that offers no value or utility.

I think we all need to expect more of advice, than a throwaway statement like "money won't buy happiness" because it serves only to distract from the truth, the truth that it is something we must work on.

Because NOTHING is an instant solution. And this statement suggests that THERE is a magical solution, but there isn't.
So, as a matter of fact, the statement is bullshit because it is hypocritical. And it is hypocritical because it expects that our humanity is easily managed, whilst taking a stab, at a component of our humanity that is vastly complex.

If we define money as a villain, we are a fool. If we value its deeper understanding in balance with ourselves, then we are wise.
If we expect anything worthwhile to be easy, we aren't being realistic.

So it is my belief that the correct response to this statement is "I just want to work out happiness, money, and everything else, with a good attitude, and i don't think following one piece of cautionary advice will help, because managing the things we must, is much tougher than that, and I am not willing to be naive enough to expect that it will be".

Wild Money

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 15, 2013
Does money make me happy?

Sure! It opens doors for you, and gives you options you wouldn't have otherwise.

Does that mean you'll be in absolute bliss 100% of the time? Nah. But you'll have more freedom.

Just my 2 cents

G

GuestUser8117

I think, being ABLE to sort your money out is the key, to less stress, less manic behaviour, and financial confidence. And that shouldn't be ignored, whilst chasing money in itself is bad if it is a symptom of not being able to handle your finances, to chase the productivity of yourself in order to achieve A GOAL which might be monetarily measured is a good thing.

Money as a measurement can indeed have accurate things to say about most peoples ability to handle their finances, but it doesn't garuntee that if you judge them off this that you will be accurate.

Money can be a signal of how well your biz is doing, but its not omniscient, because your biz might be ready to break through or about to finally crash.

So really, you have to ask yourself, just wtf is a person saying when they talk about happiness and money? I think that is vague because the people that used it, were also vague in their intentions. What is the purpose of being vague? Usually its about creating a broad controlling statement, and in my experience, those statements are usually inconsiderate of specific circumstances and personal considerations. So then you might ask, "what is the point of this statement of happiness and money".

Its a strawman arguement. And what a strawman arguement is, is when someone puts up a perfect expectation, and then compares something to it to make it seem less in comparisson.

The strawman arguement used against cash, seems to be a wreckless way of dealing with the real task of
a) comforting and guiding friends
b) getting your financial stuff sorted

In short, why play into a manipulative statement when the truth has much more color?

Achieve real financial confidence, remove stress, and judge success off the understanding of how your biz REALLY is going.
Then will you be happy?

I think that life is more complex than that... Have you let your relationships slip? Is your lifestyle truly better?
Is excess and addictive behaviour causing you to avoid pursuing worthwhile goals and opportunities? Do you only judge worth through the glasses of money?

These things, are symptoms of a sadness inside, and they manifest as neglecting value that is independant of cash. But on the other hand, these are prevalent in all fields of expertise, an athlete, might have no relationship, might let his lifestyle slip in comparisson to what it could be (being too obsessive), might view worth as only those who can run fast, and might miss out on opportunities.

They are also symptoms of people who never succeed at anything. It seems these things are part of the human condition, and that happiness is about "checking yourself" but also pursuing your goals.

So, my conclusion is that "money won't make you happy", could be stated as "neglecting opportunity, won't make you happy".

And that statement says little about money at all because it also suggests, and rightly so, that you should pursue opportunities of passion, and biz. But it also states that you should take opportunities in life also.

My understanding of happiness is that it isn't as EASY as money. But it is rediculous to state that financial confidence and pursuing the goals of biz, (which may measure by money) is worthless in its pursuit.

We must all, solve something that is deeply complicated, and money can't solve problems, it can only incorporate people who might be able to.

Without money, our society would take a severe HIT in its ability to adapt and transform. And that adaption is key to many peoples survival.

I think, that once you extrapolate deep enough into this saying, it just reveals itself as a trivial expression, of no real significance, in regards to managing finances or managing happiness. So someone saying it, is a redflag, that they have nothing of substance to say on the matter, and are using a strawman to F*ck with you rather than provide real value.

Personally, I have higher standards for my mentors, than one who would provide me with a piece of advice that offers no value or utility.

I think we all need to expect more of advice, than a throwaway statement like "money won't buy happiness" because it serves only to distract from the truth, the truth that it is something we must work on.

Because NOTHING is an instant solution. And this statement suggests that THERE is a magical solution, but there isn't.
So, as a matter of fact, the statement is bullshit because it is hypocritical. And it is hypocritical because it expects that our humanity is easily managed, whilst taking a stab, at a component of our humanity that is vastly complex.

If we define money as a villain, we are a fool. If we value its deeper understanding in balance with ourselves, then we are wise.
If we expect anything worthwhile to be easy, we aren't being realistic.

So it is my belief that the correct response to this statement is "I just want to work out happiness, money, and everything else, with a good attitude, and i don't think following one piece of cautionary advice will help, because managing the things we must, is much tougher than that, and I am not willing to be naive enough to expect that it will be".

That's an interesting perspective. But no need to write a long dissertation like that. Money buys freedom. Freedom buys choices. Freedom of choices is fantastic and makes you happy.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
That's an interesting perspective. But no need to write a long dissertation like that. Money buys freedom. Freedom buys choices. Freedom of choices is fantastic and makes you happy.

No need, but I wanted to :p
And you are right, freedom of choices, is what its all about. :) :) :)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%