The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Managing People Well

Topics relating to managing people and relationships
G

Guest-5ty5s4

It's easy to forget how important people's jobs are to them if you run a business.

Your priority must be what is best for the business and what will make it survive.

Sometimes firing or demoting people can put them in a dark place. This can go very badly if handled wrong.

For those who have managed people before, how do you handle that as a good leader?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Mar 15, 2018
I’ve fired a lot of people over the years.

I think it serves no one to keep underperforming employees. It’s bad for them too. Everyone has a talent and they need to lean into that and feel pride from doing a great job.

The worst thing to to do is to surprise your employee with “you are fired”. That’s wrong because you didn’t even give them a chance to correct behaviour.

I take pride in the fact that my team always knows where they stand. Every single person knows if they are in my good books or bad. They also know what it takes to do well. No surprises!

Last two people I let go knew it was coming, had time to find a new job (which they did)… and to this day we stay connected.

Hope this helps.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I've both fired people outright and I've managed people out. I hold a certain standard. I have very clear expectations.

People who are weak or unsure of themselves often struggle to meet the expectations, and those people tend to get managed out. But as long as they are earnestly trying, I tend to keep them around, knowing they will quit on their terms.

The ones I fire are the disruptive ones. The ones with bad attitudes. The ones who can't get along with others. The ones who obviously have given up or seem to be coasting.

I do it this way to send a message to the team. If you keep trying, I'll be (somewhat) patient. I don't want my existing team ever feeling like I fire people capriciously.

So far the message/method has worked pretty well. Both my writers know they are on solid footing. When we hire someone else, they give me a heads up on who to be patient with vs who isn't a good fit for our office/clients.

Hope that helps.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
For those who have managed people before, how do you handle that as a good leader?
It depends on what they've done. It can be as simple as letting them know they're not a good fit for XYZ after taking away their access (so they cannot take revenge), or it can be a kick in the a$$.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.