The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lost it all in the flood

Anything related to matters of the mind

Emo6126

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 26, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys,

so from what you guys know of me already is that I finally started my company and had product and was motivated...etc

Well unfortunately during Hurricane Sandy my entire apartment got flooded. I lost my entire life, one of my pets
(whom I tried to save but the water was too deep and I could break into my apartment...I am sorry Circe), my car, my computers, my fathers paintings...everything. I also lost all of my product and my business work (accept fortunately a day before the storm I actually remembered what MJ said and backed up all my business info onto a cloud drive, and a week prior to the storm I had placed an order for more product and was hesitant to place the order due to finances, but should be able to break even if I sell them all)

I am able to write this because I was finally able to get a place with power and internet.

The funny thing is that I am not sad at all, in fact I am very happy (aside from all the business debt I accumulated and literally have nothing to show for it)

This is where mind set comes in.my family wants me to get another job and work to make back everything I lost and to not work on my business...I think the opposite. I want to come back stronger with my company and push harder

I am happy because now I have nothing to hold me back literally. as the saying goes "freedom is a burning house". I also fell that now I can come back stronger and more organized with business and life.

the flood taught me something very important. Before although I was really good with saving and thinking about my future I still had to have nice stuff NOW. I didn't use credit cards to buy thing, but still had to have nice items NOW. I now no longer need nice things to make myself feel better (although I had a really nice car that I OWNED that is now a very pretty paperweight). I realize that when all my stuff got destroyed all the money in my bank account was untouched and what good is that collectors Hulk comic book from the 50's worth if its just sitting there in plastic anyway? or that 1986 Mets signed baseball if it just sits on a shelf? My view of life and money is way different now.

Don't get me wrong I still want nice things, but I would like the money first to work for me so that if it does get washed away again it won't be as tragic for me.

I got to stay focused and strong minded
right now I am staying in my fiances bedroom with her mother, this is now my company headquarters for the time being

This is from what I am trying to view it as a positive thing, a blessing in disguise, my limo in a snow storm. Rock Bottom never looked so good

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Wow. Sorry to hear. I wish sometimes every thing would get washed away so I can start over again..

Sorry about your dog.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Oh man. Sorry to hear about that. I heard you guys got hit really hard over there. Sorry about your dog too. That has to be tough.

Way to stay positive though! If you need a hand with anything, let me know. I'm not too far away from you.

howandwhy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 20, 2011
Sorry to hear about that. And sorry about your dog too. Good thing you have backed up all of your business information. Now it is time to dust off and start again. Good luck.

G

Guest12120

I also live close by if I can be helpful with anything. Don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am sorry for your loss. Things will no doubt get better for you in time.

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
the flood taught me something very important. Before although I was really good with saving and thinking about my future I still had to have nice stuff NOW. I didn't use credit cards to buy thing, but still had to have nice items NOW. I now no longer need nice things to make myself feel better (although I had a really nice car that I OWNED that is now a very pretty paperweight). I realize that when all my stuff got destroyed all the money in my bank account was untouched and what good is that collectors Hulk comic book from the 50's worth if its just sitting there in plastic anyway? or that 1986 Mets signed baseball if it just sits on a shelf? My view of life and money is way different now.

Don't get me wrong I still want nice things, but I would like the money first to work for me so that if it does get washed away again it won't be as tragic for me.

Love it!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I love this thread. Why? Because you don't let anyone feel sorry for you. Yes, you lost your dog (I lost my dog at 15, he was my only friend and it hurt a lot to look him in the eyes as he died), yes you lost everything you had. You might have insurance, you might not. We don't know. The government probably won't help you (remember Katrina?) and you've got debts to pay.

But there's a fire burning bright. That fire is a torch in your hand.

I wish you the best of luck in dealing with your situation and yes, things might actually get worse. Likwid has started a relief fund for people who were hurt in the hurricane. I'm not quite sure what he did with that money. There are many people in the city who want to help you out and have the resources to do so. And you're not alone: my buddy in BK is still without gas and heating.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
Sorry for your dog, I am sure that might have been toughest loss of everything. You will gain everything back but the life of your dog which I know would hit me pretty hard.

Congrats on realizing that you're capable to fix where you are in life!

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I'm sorry to hear about how the storm affected you, and about your dog... That is really sad. I'm glad that you have a place to stay and a positive attitude! Keep your head up!!

On a positive note, you may eventually be able to get some help from FEMA. My parents' home was destroyed by a flooding about three years ago, and FEMA was very helpful to them and many others in our area. This tragedy is on a much bigger scale - I hope they can get better organized to get help to you guys ASAP.

Emo6126

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 26, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you guys for everything, just to clarify I actually lost my Sugar Glider. Not my dog...he was saved. I had her for 8 years they live up to 20 years.....still I feel bad for her

Emo6126

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 26, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you everyone for the positive words. And I want everyone to know who is in the same boat as me, that there is always a silver lining

I am still alive and I know i can rebuild...although right now it seems like it will never happen......

Like my uncle just told me, one day....I will write about this in my book, while sitting in the house of my dreams, looking at this and realizing how much it taught me

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, amazing story with sadness. :( Sometimes perspective comes from the strangest places. My best wishes onward for your ascent to the top. :)

Emo6126

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 26, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I also wanted to mention that Family and making memories is what I realized is more important than an item. I sometimes would love to go places, but never had the money since I had just bought some new gadget or item

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.