The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Licking Some Old War Wounds & Showing Battle Scars

WeMoE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Oct 21, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Finally found a supporting community in TFF that can appreciate my path to the fastlane. Thanks MJ and all of the contributors to TFF! This forum has been really inspiring and therapeutic at the same time.

Currently, I’m a slowlaner. I’ve worked very hard and long hours in exchange for a six-figure salary. To escape this reality, I’ve turned my attention to real estate investing and I’m starting a scalable business…again.

This isn’t my first attempt at fastlane success. I’ve swung and missed several times before and I think it’s important for me to quickly explain my failures first and maybe some dialogue would help others in this community.

Failure #1: http://www.wemoe.com

(sales page still active; the backend software is disabled now since business is dissolved)

To generate a cash cow to invest into my own RE development, I developed an avatar based wealth/health indicator with money that I raised through my side RE consulting business (approx. $25k invested in the MVP + sweat equity).

Fastlane Model: Down Payment + Recurring Member Fee + royalty on all sales (similar to a MLM structure except I was the owner of the MLM model)

Business Model: Online Access w/ offline distribution model

I had a guy that was in the top 1000 for motivational speakers and I partnered with him to use this platform as a marketing platform and additional income for public speakers. They (public speakers and speakers bureaus) would sell to the corporations that they speak at as a way to earn recurring revenue passed the speech/seminar. I also targeted distribution groups such as universities and health care insurance groups for distribution.

Progress Made: Did 100’s of demos. Locked in 3 public speakers to non-exclusive distribution contracts. Beta tested the program with one public school district and one major university

Turning Point: Sold wemoe.com to another software company for shares of the software company and and a little cash.

Final Outcome: Did about $150k in sales after the merger with the software company within about 7 months of work. My mistake was not vetting the software company. There financial problems and lack of access to capital became my financial problems. There wasn’t enough capital to make the necessary improvements to the software based on feedback from the end users. Business went bankrupt and had a bad name in the marketplace.

Fastlane Violations:

1. Commandment of Need. There was a need but my offering wasn’t the best model in the market to solve that need. Value and fulfilling the need based on user feedback was lacking.

2. Commandment of Control. I made a mistake when I partnered with the other software company. I lost control of key capital raising decisions that would have addressed the improvements needed.

Failure #2: TAC Paving

Back in 2009, President Obama announced a stimulus plan which sent billions of dollars to heavy highway infrastructure work. All of the work had a 10% set aside program that said 10% of work had to be contracted to a DBE company. I heard this, became DBE certified and did a 50/50 partnership with a construction firm which gave me a credit line of $1million and I took this and started an asphalt paving contract.

Fastlane Model: Sub-contract / Third party fulfillment; Ability to pour $3M in asphalt in one day on highway projects; downside was 60 day payment turnarounds but my LOC washed this concern away

Business Model: Offline / Third Party Partnerships; Win contracts then sub to 3rd party for fulfillment; use credit line to purchase equipment and material

Turning Point: Asphalt plants capped my spending limit to $50k per month which means I can’t pour anything larger than a few parking lots…didn’t work for highway work. If I used my LOC, it would push my cost too high to win bids. Basically the big players worked with the asphalt plants to squeeze me out of the game.

Final Outcome: Gov’t put restrictions on my company stating that the way my credit line with the partner company was structured violated the DBE certification status. The company was dissolved. I experienced a networth over a million dollars for a couple of months but it was distinguished when the business was dissolved.

Fastlane Violations:

1. Commandment of Control. The government controlled my partnership agreements due to the DBE certification requirements. The asphalt plants and big players controlled my access to the asphalt material supply.

2. Commandment of Time. I had to work hard in this business to get the contracts that I needed. I could have hired sales people and a person to oversee the operation. However, my partners who gave me the $1M LOC wanted to see me actively working in the business.

Failure #3: Slowlaner

Over the past 15 years, I’ve managed over one billion dollars of commercial development projects as a construction manager for large developers. About 5 years ago, I transitioned from construction manager to real estate developer working for large developers doing front end entitlements and other fun stuff to make large developments happen. I’m an expert at commercial real estate development but I’m getting RICH VERY SLOWLY because I don’t have a vested interest in the developments I manage. I earn a six-figure salary but this is definitely slow lane.

Fastlane Violations: All of the 5 commandments are violated in this scenario. Control, Entry, Need, Time & Scale.

Where do I go from here?

These are just a few of my swing and misses...I have other businesses that I started but none with substantial success. All of the attempts were side businesses that I ran while working full-time. I’m now 35 years old and managed over a billion dollars of commercial construction and real estate development from the slowlane. I’m now looking to utilize my experiences to create money from the fastlane. I’d prefer to do something on a consulting platform that creates enough revenue to invest into REI without violating the FastLane commandments.

Any suggestions or input would be helpful throughout my transition to the fastlane.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Threenuc

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 3, 2014
Poland
Well if you've worked for construction all this time you probably have a very good idea of what goes wrong in construction companies. You could create your own construction company that does better than the other ones (huge investment I presume, but I don't know if you wouldn't be able to utillize pre-payments) or make a product that would help people solve those problems. Yes I've read what you wrote at the end of your post.

WeMoE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Oct 21, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Well if you've worked for construction all this time you probably have a very good idea of what goes wrong in construction companies. You could create your own construction company that does better than the other ones (huge investment I presume, but I don't know if you wouldn't be able to utillize pre-payments) or make a product that would help people solve those problems. Yes I've read what you wrote at the end of your post.
I owned my own construction and real estate development company from 2006 to 2008 (pre-recession). I did some spec homes, pre-sold homes and some light commercial projects. I was overleveraged when the real estate market collapsed and lost a lot during that time. I went back to the workforce as a construction manager / RE developer working for large developers since then.

Owning my own construction company requires a lot of time and money to run it appropriately. This violates the Fastlane commandent of time because it has to be carefully managed due to being a high risk industry. I would love to remain in the industry without having my time absorbed.

G

GuestUser112

Ever consider property management? With real estate and construction experience it seems like its up your alley, as long as you don't mind dealing with tenants.

As far as consulting goes, is there a market for commercial development consultation? I would imagine that if you marketed yourself as a freelance commercial development consultant there would be companies willing to pay more than they would pay as a salary to an employee, especially with your wealth of experience.

Or, information content. Is there some way you can sell the information and experience you have gained? Maybe through a website with a subscription model, or ebooks about commercial development? If something like that could be made profitable it would definitely be fast lane.

WeMoE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Oct 21, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Ever consider property management? With real estate and construction experience it seems like its up your alley, as long as you don't mind dealing with tenants.

As far as consulting goes, is there a market for commercial development consultation? I would imagine that if you marketed yourself as a freelance commercial development consultant there would be companies willing to pay more than they would pay as a salary to an employee, especially with your wealth of experience.

Or, information content. Is there some way you can sell the information and experience you have gained? Maybe through a website with a subscription model, or ebooks about commercial development? If something like that could be made profitable it would definitely be fast lane.
I currently do commercial development consulting on the side for local developers and contractors. I make an extra $30k - $50k per year doing this consulting work. However, this earning is tied to my time. I like the idea of creating informational content though and doing a subscription model online. I'm going to explore this further.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
478%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I would recommend reading Built to Sell. This should help transition your past experiences to more of a fastlane mentality. You may end up revisiting some old ideas.

WeMoE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Oct 21, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I would recommend reading Built to Sell. This should help transition your past experiences to more of a fastlane mentality. You may end up revisiting some old ideas.
I haven't read that one. I'll pick the book up today.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Ask for a % of your next deal you put together in lieu of your next bonus / raise. Let them know you want some skin in the game and can make them a lot of money. Your contacts, track record, and have your name in the deal a couple of times will lead to someone taking a chance on you with a deal of your own.

WeMoE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Oct 21, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Ask for a % of your next deal you put together in lieu of your next bonus / raise. Let them know you want some skin in the game and can make them a lot of money. Your contacts, track record, and have your name in the deal a couple of times will lead to someone taking a chance on you with a deal of your own.
I have a few deals coming up where I'm going to ask to forgo my fee for % of the deal. I'll give an update if this happens.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
if you have experience managing commercial real estate...why dont you put your own money up for some land/property?

My best friends mom was a real estate agent (commercial) and saw all the money being made.
She struck out on her own and made over $10million...she now lives on her own island w/ her husband.

YMMV of course...and the risk would be large. But why change industries if youve been working in one all these years?

WeMoE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Oct 21, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
if you have experience managing commercial real estate...why dont you put your own money up for some land/property?

My best friends mom was a real estate agent (commercial) and saw all the money being made.
She struck out on her own and made over $10million...she now lives on her own island w/ her husband.

YMMV of course...and the risk would be large. But why change industries if youve been working in one all these years?
Thanks for sharing this! I would love to speak with her over Skype or something just to hear her story and strategy. I just got pre-approved for $300k to invest in investment property today. I'm evaluating some multi-family homes but also looking for a fastlane strategy to keep generating cash to accelerate my investing activities.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.