The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

i3ond

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Jun 2, 2013
I read your book over the weekend. It has a lot of good information about which characteristics should be looked at and how they should be valued when choosing a business. I like how you implemented how important it is to be responsible, having good character and knowing what things are really important in life.

I didn't like that the book discouraged from having employees/co-owners in start-ups. It's impossible for a business to reach its full potential without employees and excellent leaders.
The book has some sound leadership advice, but it was always directed towards a customer/website and not a employee.

MJ I wish you would create a start-up that involved employees and then work on developing the employees and sharing the work/responsibility until the business can run without its creator. Then revise your book with what you learned.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ I wish you would create a start-up that involved employees and then work on developing the employees and sharing the work/responsibility until the business can run without its creator.

I already did that. My company always had full-time employees from the start which is how I got to working just an hour or two a day. I'm free and with that freedom I'm not interested in investing my time into another startup. The idea of having a payroll, employees, etc (Not to mention startup pains) is that last thing I want going on in my life right now.

I enjoy my life, my freedom, and the joy of writing. That's what I'm going to do ... because I can.

willcouchman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 27, 2011
I agree. MFL is one of the most life-changing books I have ever read. And I realised that just from the free sample chapters; the first chapters alone completely screwed with my reality, as it showed me for the first time ever just how damaging the 9-5 rat race is as a long-term lifestyle.

I have never been the same since. Truly.

Will

P.S. How do I get the 'I've read it' thing on my forum handle?

P.P.S. How does one get increased 'reputation speeds'? Is it just done by mods and/or number of likes etc?

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Oct 26, 2012
I've read the book and started to build my own business on the side. Will sign up for the INSIDERS forum soon to enable me to reach out when I need a bit of motivation or guidance!

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
Now that there are tens of thousands of copies out there in the wild, multiple language translations, etc. this is the thread to let me know that you've read The Millionaire Fastlane .

If you read the book, post here and you will get an icon under your screenname and additional forum privileges. (Private forum, more PM storage, etc.)

Feel free to post your comments about the book as well!

Thanks, MJ

i read the book

Vitalus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 20, 2013
Thank you for the great book MJ; It definitely raised the gimmick caution flag in my mind at first glance, but I was very pleased with the content and have recommended it to friends. If I could get my Dad to read it he might get off my back about starting a career... yuck.

odai

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 4, 2013
Kansas City
I've read the book.

I always enjoy finding "guide" books for a particular skill, you know? That one book that just really explains things, makes it all clear. You'll still need other books to expand your knowledge, but you find yourself coming back to that guide book over and over again for clarity.

For social skills, that book is How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. For self-discipline, that books is The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey. And I'm pleased to say, for career goals that book is The Millionaire Fastlane by MJ DeMarco.

It's like, ever since graduating high school, I've felt like I'm in an insane asylum (well, a different kind of insane asylum). On the one hand you've got my Sidewalk peers, insisting that working in a cubicle prison and getting fall-down drunk on Saturday is the highest form of living. Then you've got other crazies insisting that being a "millionaire next door" is where it's at - and I start feeling like I'm the crazy.

And finding this book was like finding a note, someone saying to me, "No, you're not crazy. They are. Here's how to escape the asylum". I especially like the tone of the book - your analogies speak to me, better than most financial books that read like they were written by an old owl.

This is probably obvious by now, but MJ, I really appreciate your work.

Piotro

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 3, 2013
Finished it few days ago. I must say the book is a real inspiration for me. Something like Lamborghini for you when you were a kid. Thank you for open my eyes. I've already made few steps to get on Fastlane. Thank you once again!

nayR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Feb 16, 2012
California
Read the book last year before graduating high school. Changed the whole perspective on everything before entering a university, in a positive way.

I am finally taking real action after some failures and am on the road to the fastlane.

Thank you MJ for changing my life!

zoborg

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 20, 2013
After a recommendation from Eskil I bought and read this - have read many of the classic business/entrepreneur books but really liked the straight forward NO BS approach!

MustImprove

Speed Is Good, usually only in the right direction
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,928%
Apr 30, 2013
I read the book. Thanks. That is good work and useful. That's why I'm here to learn more.

workingtitle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
May 27, 2013
Read the book. Finished it. Read it again.

Literally opened my eyes to a life I didn't know existed and at once eradicated all my limiting beliefs.

Would love to wear the badge of honor on the forums. Hook it up MJ! :)

Jaquelyn

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 12, 2013
New Hampshire / Belgium
I've read the book twice now and am very excited to be taking the first steps in my own journey. I am filling out my corporate paperwork, filing for my trademark and my site building is in progress! ( I've been learning to program) The journey is beginning and I am looking forward to the road and all it had to teach me.

MJ thank you for writing it, as now I can see my off ramp to the road less traveled.

Jaquelyn.

Dalen Hawkins

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Apr 5, 2013
Oklahoma City
This was no doubt the best business book I've ever read! I've persuaded all of my close friends to give it a shot also. I pretty much thought I had a grasp on what it would be like before reading it but it was everything I expected PLUS more! Exactly what I needed...especially at this point in my ventures. Thanks, MJ!

SueC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 6, 2013
I read it a few years ago, in paper, bought it for Kindle, and re-read it all the time, it's laying around the house in one form or another.

I was telling my 14 year old about a small business someone had with low cost of entry, but it required personal involvement to re-stock units on a daily basis, I told him it would be a perfect summer job for a kid - but he immediately ruled it out because it didn't "scale" - so someone else has been reading my book too...

Carny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Mar 20, 2013
Read it once and will read at least part of it again soon.

jvl269

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jun 19, 2013
I've read it. I'm glad I've found answers to many questions I have. thanks.

daveliquid

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Apr 27, 2013
TX
I read it.

I thought it was one of the most powerful, insightful business books I have ever read. I actually went to bed each night while reading it jacked up, and I had trouble sleeping.

TedM

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
MJ-
I'm rereading it now, for the second time.

I'dread a lot of the other books you reference, so I kinda skimmed over the first parts and went to the Fastlane.

I wonder what others think, but I found your chapter 23 to be the most moving part of the book.

I hope many people are positively impacted by "your answer".

Thanks for the book and for the forum.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.