The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've made millions online - ask me anything!

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
Hmmm...I hope Limitless is well. Looks like he's off the grid.

I would be off the grid too if I had to answer all these questions, but he did set himself up for it haha, which I'm sure he was aware of...

Limitless, thanks on the posts bud, they were helpful and I do wish you luck with your ventures.
Perhaps I'll ask for your skills in due time.

Until then, great work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

limitup

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
652%
Dec 30, 2012
San Diego
Hey all, I'm back. Just took a break from the Internet and went MIA for awhile ...

Thanks for all the kind words. It was nuts answering so many questions, but hopefully anyone who reads through the entire thread will pick up on the 2-3 things I kept saying over and over that I feel are responsible for my success online.

Maybe I'll do another AMA one day soon - in the meantime I'm looking forward to becoming active in the community, which was my goal the first time around when I started this thread lol.

Anyway, I'm starting again from scratch. I've had ZERO going on business-wise for awhile now, and I'm chompin' at the bit to do something. As usual, one of the hardest things for me is to decide which of the 9 million things on my "list" to try next ...

I'm considering any and all opportunities at this point. If anyone has anything interesting going on, or even just a killer idea, and you think I might be able to provide some value, don't hesitate to shoot me a private message.

Last edited:

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
Hey Limitup,

Welcome back! Thanks again for your thread, as an IM beginner it gave me an outline to follow and plenty of "process" to work on! All the best.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ

Heisenberg

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Dec 11, 2013
Hey all, I'm back. Just took a break from the Internet and went MIA for awhile ...

Thanks for all the kind words. It was nuts answering so many questions, but hopefully anyone who reads through the entire thread will pick up on the 2-3 things I kept saying over and over that I feel are responsible for my success online.

Maybe I'll do another AMA one day soon - in the meantime I'm looking forward to becoming active in the community, which was my goal the first time around when I started this thread lol.

Anyway, I'm starting again from scratch. I've had ZERO going on business-wise for awhile now, and I'm chompin' at the bit to do something. As usual, one of the hardest things for me is to decide which of the 9 million things on my "list" to try next ...

I'm considering any and all opportunities at this point. If anyone has anything interesting going on, or even just a killer idea, and you think I might be able to provide some value, don't hesitate to shoot me a private message.

Welcome back, thanks for your time, everyone here appreciates it.

I have two questions, if you we're 17, have no money and no valuable skills with all the time in the world, how would you get started with this?

How do you feel about promoting products/biz opps that are borderline scams? I feel like this is what affiliate marketing is, promoting products/biz opps that provide no value to the buyers whatsoever.

Last edited:

limitup

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
652%
Dec 30, 2012
San Diego
I have two questions, if you we're 17, have no money and no valuable skills with all the time in the world, how would you get started with this?

I would find someone who is successfully doing what I wanted to do, and I would "stalk" them, buy their stuff to see how they operate, reverse engineer what they're doing, and do the same thing. Ideally I'd do it even better than them.

How do you feel about promoting products/biz opps that are borderline scams? I feel like this is what affiliate marketing is, promoting products/biz opps that provide no value to the buyers whatsoever.

That's just a small sub-set of affiliate marketing. There are 1000 other things you can promote as an affiliate. The moral issues are up to you...

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Not business related, but I too have played tennis most my life at a high standard and was coaching last year.

Are you planning on playing any futures/satellites and lower tier tournaments?

rogen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 27, 2013
-
I would find someone who is successfully doing what I wanted to do, and I would "stalk" them, buy their stuff to see how they operate, reverse engineer what they're doing, and do the same thing. Ideally I'd do it even better than them.

I need your advice.. This is how I would start

I have no money (like literally empty pockets, just 15$ in bank accout for buying domain names and hooking them up to blogger for free hosting)

1. I see this highest banking product on clickbank in wealth section (forex trading guide)
2. I would Copy most important information (everything about the product, what it does, what are the benefits) from website of the product, I would put it into blogger sales page template, and I would pimp this template in photoshop so It would have this nice clean look
3. I would buy domain name like (forexmasterguide.com) and hook it up to my sales page
4. .. And here is the problem, no one knows if my page even exist, how do I get traffic? With no money, I would just create fake fb account and I would spam my links on wealth-oriented fanpages, and I would search for some blogs about this niche to spam my links in comments and this is it Hopefully after week of spamming my first sale would arrive..

What do you think about this "strategy" ?

Thanks..

omar

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 16, 2013
What are your thoughts on building a popular blog and selling ads/sponsorships for revenue. By popular blog I mean like a lifehacker.com, buzzfeed.com, upworthy.com. Content driven around viral content. These sites get millions of hits a month.

Do you consider this a good business model?

Last edited:

Aivix231

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Dec 11, 2012
What are your thoughts on building a popular blog and selling ads/sponsorships for revenue. By popular blog I mean like a lifehacker.com, buzzfeed.com, upworthy.com. Content driven around viral content. These sites get millions of hits a month.

Those are called authority sites. Its good biz, thats for sure.

If you look at buzfeed.com - 80 million USA visits and 141 million global visits, its impossible to not make millions with that. But they probably spent a lot on team, and servers. but overall its good idea, just it wont be one day work :)

Data is here : https://www.quantcast.com/buzzfeed.com?qcLocale=en_US

limitup

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
652%
Dec 30, 2012
San Diego

I think most would consider it a "good" but somewhat risky business model. If you have a passion for that type of thing, then go for it - it can certainly pay off IF you make it big. But there are lots of unknowns, and no guarantees.

The primary challenge is going to be coming up with loads and loads of compelling new content on a regular basis, and doing it for long enough to build up a huge audience. Because generally speaking you will need a huge audience to make any real money.

Most likely you won't see any meaningful revenue for a long time, so you need to be prepared to invest a good bit of money to get it going - unless you somehow convince your original team of writers to work in return for equity, or something else.

Truthfully you'll probably need some funding to do this right and have a chance.

If you're just talking about a smaller niche blog on a topic you're passionate about and you plan on writing most/all the content yourself, most of the above doesn't apply - but this route is not nearly as scalable and the income potential is obviously going to be less.

You could certainly make a living doing this, but it'll still take a while to get it off the ground, and it'll be awhile before you see any real revenue, and it's not really fastlane.

I myself prefer more traditional direct response marketing - because once you know the "game" there is almost no meaningful risk, and overall it's much more predictable.

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
It somewhat depends on what you're promoting, but ...

The only thing you need to know is that the "secret" is testing and tracking. That's it. I promise.

Everything else you'll have to experiment with on your own. There is no "best" anything. There is no one-size-fits all answer to any of this. Just pick something that interests you or fits your budget, and go do it.

Some people make millions with PPC. Others hate PPC. Some do PPV. Some do media buys. Some start their own affiliate programs. You'll never know what's going to work for you until you try it.

I've done it all but paying affiliates to send me traffic is how I made most of my money. Once I had the proper systems in place I found it to be the most efficient and scalable way to get as much traffic as I needed.

The key here is to simply have a great freakin' offer. If you have a highly-profitable offer you'll attract affiliates and partners without even trying, and they can send you almost unlimited amounts of traffic.

And yes, you can do this even when you're "just" an affiliate yourself. I've made millions paying affiliates to send traffic to my pre-sell pages where I pitch something and send the users off to another site. It's all just arbitrage.

Just make sure you split-test and track everything. That's honestly all that matters.

What exactly is meant by "split-test and track"?

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
The only time I ever struggled to stay motivated and productive is when I was making more money in a week than most people make in a year. I also made the common but newbie mistake of thinking it would last forever and I blew a ton of the money I made. Don't make that mistake! Sure it's great to reward yourself along the way, but definitely save/invest more than you spend. Fortunately I made so much that even though I blew a ton of money I could still "retire" tomorrow if I wanted to and live quite comfortably.

Honestly I think it's not a great sign if you find it hard to stay motivated. I dunno though, I've never had that problem. If anything I've been the opposite. TOO motivated. But bottom line if you can't stay motivated you just don't have a strong enough "why" for what you do.

Honestly the product is almost irrelevant (assuming there is a need for it, it provides value and solves a problem, and all that jazz). If you want to make money selling an info product what's most important is your offer, and that's where you should spend the majority of your time. If you have a GREAT offer you can sell ice to eskimos as they say.

Yes all my stuff is "digitial". I've never sold physical products. Well I have dabbled with a few things here and there but nothing to speak about.

Have a great offer that generates more revenue per click than any of your competitors. Do that and nothing else matters.

(write that shit down, it's HUUUUUUUUGE.)[/quote]

Great thread limit, can't get enough of your valuable insight, thanks for sharing.

Would you be able to give an example of your most successful offer on an info/digital product? what about an example of your least successful offer on an info/digital product?

Myron

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Hey Limit,

What would you say the minimum gravity you should accept when it comes to marketing an info product? Thanks for all of this info, very helpful!

Myron

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
I was curious did limitup build an email list? Unless I been lied to if you have an email list and affiliates driving your offer then your income is pretty much a cinch and you wouldn't need to spend so much on PPC if you create a product that is perceived to be of value, that product can sell for years. There are few marketers that do it, perhaps few and far inbetween, but they are out there, though, I dont know their real numbers. Maybe its all a sham.

limitup

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
652%
Dec 30, 2012
San Diego
Sure did. I tallied it up at one point and I had a little over 8 million subscribers to all my different lists over the years. And most of those subscribers came from affiliates that promoted my various offers. In the beginning I did a lot of PPC but I got sick of hassling with Google and focused on creating killer offers that affiliates just naturally flock to (or they are super easy to find).

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Sure did. I tallied it up at one point and I had a little over 8 million subscribers to all my different lists over the years. And most of those subscribers came from affiliates that promoted my various offers. In the beginning I did a lot of PPC but I got sick of hassling with Google and focused on creating killer offers that affiliates just naturally flock to (or they are super easy to find).

Then your problem is solved about the passive income now then right? If not, then what problems are you having creating residual income online? By the way, with your ppc skills you probably could dominate your locate market with a tennis school. That way you can do what you love and make millions most likely.

limitup

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
652%
Dec 30, 2012
San Diego
No I don't have any passive income, because I didn't create any real businesses. If I'm being completely honest almost nothing that I did was fastlane and over the years, most of the time, all I had was a really high paying job that I created for myself.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
what happened to the 8 million subscribers? If you still have them you can reactivate some of them I am sure. Isnt the money in the list?

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
I guess I forgot to mention I didnt read the whole thread :banghead:

anyways, since you sold already, just rinse, repeat, build a list, build a funnel, and, you should be fine. :cigar:

(at least thats what I been led to believe :wideyed: ).

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Hey limitup, thanks for doing this. Really awesome advice all over this thread.

I've been thinking about a good question for a few days now, as I don't want to be one of those guys asking you why you don't start building a list again.

I'm facing a problem I think you're pretty familiar with aswell. Have been doing AM for some time, mainly PPC. I love testing, tracking, optimizing and tweaking my landers, autoresponders etc. Can't really say why, but I guess I find it fascinating to see the impact directly. Pretty cool to see the evolution of one specific project over time. Also I can hack together a basic lander pretty quickly with lots of googling, reusing old code, Photoshop etc, but far from being considered a LAMP developer like yourself. My current venture is maxing out at 700-800 euros /day which is cool, but not great money.

The problem I'm facing and I realized this while reading this thread is that I want to work on something bigger. I'm not really building an asset I could sell later on, but created a high paying job for myself. Of course my "payment" is lower than yours, but I think the principle still applies.

I could continue with what I'm doing, add other niches, scale up and all that jazz, but that ultimately only delays the problem. Though I will do that for now, as long as I don't know any better, for the sake of money. The way I feel is that everything I'm looking at, business-wise, is either too small (e.g. content-driven Adsense sites) or too big (e.g. 100 MM/yr revenue companies). I feel like I'm blinded by routine due to the years in the industry.

Money is still a huge part of my motivation, because I have yet to achieve your level of financial success. I just feel that moving forward I should be more cautious about how I apply my motivation and focus to eventually build something way bigger.

What are your thoughts on breaking through this barrier? How can I see outside the box that is affiliate marketing?

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
"I'd rather be hated for who I am then loved for who I am not". -Kurt Cobain

I've never been the type of guy to live by conformity, perhaps thats why I am hated in online communities or thought of as a troll.

I dont bite my tongue, I say what I mean and I dont kiss no tail regardless if someone is allegedly rich or not(anybody can say anything).

I asked about a list because this page is 13 pages long and I was only mildly interested in the big elephant question in the room. It makes no sense for someone with such smarts to not build a list, and, if they did then what is the problem again? Any idiot knows that a list is recurring income.

Whether or not I asked the same question is of irrelevance to me. Nobody is going to silence my voice for asking a previous question. As you see he already stopped answering me and frankly I dont give 2 cents.

It aint my problem I am going to get mine regardless. I just asked a simple question that came with a simple solution. No worries I wont be asking anymore questions. I'll just answer to those who ask for help if I am on this forum.

Peace

limitup

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
652%
Dec 30, 2012
San Diego
Great post. I've thought about these things as well. If you really enjoy what you're doing, perhaps you can focus on lead gen, systematize the entire thing, and turn it into a "real" business. A site like Home Advisor (used to be Service Magic) is really "just" a lead gen middleman and they do over $250MM/year.

Personally, I can only work on one big project at a time. I would never be comfortable operating multiple "big" sites at the same time. My brain would be on constant overdrive and I'd never be able to sleep! Same for operating in multiple completely separate niches at the same time. Doesn't work for me.

There is nothing "small" about affiliate marketing as long as you stick to the huge, evergreen niches that are primarily health, wealth, financial and relationships. I know people who are "just" affiliates that make millions a year in each of these niches. There's nothing small about that.

My other suggestion is to consider what is normally the next step for people like you, which is to simply create your own product in whatever niche you're currently successful at as an affiliate. Flip the script and let other people promote your stuff.

The idea of building a sellable asset is quite romantic. For me personally I've found it easier said than done. A lot of it has to do with me, my lifestyle choices, and my personality.

For example, there's almost nothing that would get me to open a "real" office, hire a bunch of people, have to drive to work every day, etc. I wouldn't do this even if it meant a guaranteed $100MM sale in 10 years. It's just not me.

Don't underestimate what you can do as an affiliate at home in your underwear. If you do it right there can be some "fastlane" components to it, and unless you dream of building a big biz and being a CEO it might be all you need.

I have no desire to do that, and I have no desire to be so wealthy that I own 3 houses, a private plane, a yacht, and all that other crap, so even if all I ever did was make a nice high-6 to 7 figure income online as an affiliate for the rest of my life I'd be just fine.

With that being said, I'm still looking for something new and exciting as well, because unlike you, I'm not even sure I really enjoy this "stuff" any more.

Hey limitup, thanks for doing this. Really awesome advice all over this thread.

I've been thinking about a good question for a few days now, as I don't want to be one of those guys asking you why you don't start building a list again.

I'm facing a problem I think you're pretty familiar with aswell. Have been doing AM for some time, mainly PPC. I love testing, tracking, optimizing and tweaking my landers, autoresponders etc. Can't really say why, but I guess I find it fascinating to see the impact directly. Pretty cool to see the evolution of one specific project over time. Also I can hack together a basic lander pretty quickly with lots of googling, reusing old code, Photoshop etc, but far from being considered a LAMP developer like yourself. My current venture is maxing out at 700-800 euros /day which is cool, but not great money.

The problem I'm facing and I realized this while reading this thread is that I want to work on something bigger. I'm not really building an asset I could sell later on, but created a high paying job for myself. Of course my "payment" is lower than yours, but I think the principle still applies.

I could continue with what I'm doing, add other niches, scale up and all that jazz, but that ultimately only delays the problem. Though I will do that for now, as long as I don't know any better, for the sake of money. The way I feel is that everything I'm looking at, business-wise, is either too small (e.g. content-driven Adsense sites) or too big (e.g. 100 MM/yr revenue companies). I feel like I'm blinded by routine due to the years in the industry.

Money is still a huge part of my motivation, because I have yet to achieve your level of financial success. I just feel that moving forward I should be more cautious about how I apply my motivation and focus to eventually build something way bigger.

What are your thoughts on breaking through this barrier? How can I see outside the box that is affiliate marketing?

agent 007

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 19, 2014
BARCELONA
What are your thoughts on landing page sites like unbounce and instapage are they worth it or do you just recommend making one from scratch with wordpress? I'v been trying to give it a go but so far I have only found offers with clickbank and used buysellads for media buying, i am yet to be profitable :p.

This is my understanding of the process in short (I hope I don't seem like an idiot) :

find an offer -> do a media buy -> drive people to landing page -> catch lead -> send people to offer-> collect $$

Also thanks for the valuable info , very enlightening !!
Read the thread. I sold all my sites/lists/web assets.

Brilliant thread!!

What would be you suggestion for somebody who is a newbie and wants to get started.

Which one is the safest/easiest one to start? Which one has the greatest potential?

1.) Adult Site / By the way, what products were you doing?

2.) E-Commerce Store, ie Dropshipping

3.) Clickbank Product – I like your reverse psychology idea....copying a good idea and making it better.

Thanks in advance

Rainer

agent 007

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 19, 2014
BARCELONA
What are your thoughts on landing page sites like unbounce and instapage are they worth it or do you just recommend making one from scratch with wordpress? I'v been trying to give it a go but so far I have only found offers with clickbank and used buysellads for media buying, i am yet to be profitable :p.

This is my understanding of the process in short (I hope I don't seem like an idiot) :

find an offer -> do a media buy -> drive people to landing page -> catch lead -> send people to offer-> collect $$

Also thanks for the valuable info , very enlightening !!

What do you mean with "Do a media buy"?

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland

What do you mean with "Do a media buy"?

Buying advertising space on a website(s) either direct or through an ad network.

Buying banner advertising on this forum would be an example of a direct media buy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.