The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Invest in yourself, who cares more about money than you do?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
I attended a free class on stock investing. I don't consider myself an expert but always looking to learn. The person who gave the presentation had been investing for over 20 years. He showed a list of stocks he invested in and there must have been 8-10 pages worth of stocks he currently was invested in or was watching. I'll go over some of the methods and tools he used since he didn't have an idea where the experience level of the group who attended. Some of this may be pretty basic.

He started off explaining the rule of 72. The rule of 72 explains how long it would take for an investment to double using a fixed interest rate. He compared the lowest investment of saving/checking accounts (.03%) to saving bonds (1.25%) to CDs (1.5%), to mutual funds (6%), to stocks (11%) and ended at commodities (70%). Items in paratheses are an average rate of return.

For a longer descrpition go here or google rule of 72:
What is the 'rule of 72'?

stock take over - the price of the stock that is being taken over will increase substantially

stock merger - the price of the stock may increase but not as much

He recommended watching the nightly business report which comes on at 5 PM CST. They cover a few minutes on what happend in the market. He has found a quick way to cathc up on the market.

He has made the most of his money from some people's favorite hobbies, tobacco, alcohol and credit cards. He said most people want to literally kill themselves smoking or drinking, or running up heir credit cards and he could reap the benefits by investing in various stocks. The presenter didn't have a credit card balance and made sure he paid everything during the billing cycle.

Invest in DRIPS Invest in a company directly without having to go through a brokerage account. There are plenty of well known companies on DRIPS.

He explained stock splits and used PG as an example. Everytime he bought more shares he sold that same amount when the stock doubled. This way he still got his money back while still continuing to get dividends and investing in the stock. He also explained 2 for 1 and 3 for 1 when a stock split. A stock splits when the company believes the price of their stock has gone too high for people to afford to purchase. When the stock splits the share owner maintains the stock but at a lower price and receives an additional share of the stock. No real value is lost when this happens. In addition the dividend would also decrease.

Do you need an emergency fund? He flat out said "No". Most people have a credit card and if they have no current expenses (bills), a person would most likely use their credit card if they had to attend a funeral, buy a plane ticket, etc.

He explained load vs no load funds. These are easy for people who don't want to get involved with an investment and track the stocks they buy. He went on to compare a mutual fund to a stock investment over a ten year period. He used PG as an example. With a mutual fund you paid an amount year after year and after ten years that could add up to $1000. With a stock investment, he only paid $10 that first year and that was it.

Buy low and sell high.

Start a brokerage account. Even if you want to use it for fun. There are several available. He recommended etrade for beginners and he used ameriprise.

He mentioned sweep accounts. Sweep accounts automatically transfer money that exceed or fall a certain level into a higher interest earning investment option at the close of each business day. Commonly, the excess cash is swept into money market funds (investopedia). I've never heard of this until today.

Provide any additional comments since I'm just sharing what I learned today.

Tom

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest3722A

Hi Tom.

Yeah, I've been to my share of these types of seminars. The thing to watch out for though and what a lot of these guys don't mention is if a company is going to get bought out or if there is a merger, the only way to be in the stock prior to the big move is really based only on speculation. Otherwise, one day it closes at price x, and the next day it opens way up at price y. There's no heads up prior to the move. Stock splits though can be quite lucrative if the timing is right in the business cycle. A good example for this I would think is Microsoft in the mid to late 90s when they were literally splitting every single year!

Many times what does work though, but like any other speculation -not always, is watching what INSIDERS do as well as watch what institutions do. An example of this is Phillip Frost, currently owner and CEO of OPKO health, stock symbol: OPK.

This guy has a history of buying up massive shares of companies he owns and then selling the companies for buku bucks. He currently owns 98million shares of OPK which is trading at 2.84.

Speculative yes, but I believe has a better chance with leaning the probabilities in ones favor of owning a company that has a good chance of going up, and getting possibly taken over.

If interested in watching other INSIDERS trading transactions, here's a great website for that: Insider Trading - Insider Transactions - Form 4

As far as institutional activity goes, I've learned this from William O'Neil, founder of Investors Business Daily. He has a system that he calls CANSLIM and heavy institutional activity plays a large part in his proven system.

More information on this can be found at Stocks, Investing, Business, and Finance News - Investors.com along with the rest of his strategy.

G

Guest3722A

An example!

Allegheny Technologies Inc. To Acquire Ladish Co, Inc.
8:30am EST
Allegheny Technologies Inc. and Ladish Co., Inc. announced that they have entered into a definitive merger agreement whereby ATI will acquire Ladish for an aggregate fully distributed equity value of approximately $778 million. Ladish shareholders will receive $24.00 in cash and 0.4556 of a share of ATI common stock for each share of Ladish common stock. Based on the volume weighted average price of ATI common stock over the last 10 trading days ending November 16, 2010, the aggregate consideration on a fully diluted basis is $48.00 per Ladish share. The transaction is subject to normal closing conditions, including approval by Ladish shareholders, and is expected to be completed in early 2011.

big.chart

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Just a few comments and thoughts I had from reading your post; from my perspective.

I attended a free class on stock investing. I don't consider myself an expert but always looking to learn. The person who gave the presentation had been investing for over 20 years. He showed a list of stocks he invested in and there must have been 8-10 pages worth of stocks he currently was invested in or was watching. I'll go over some of the methods and tools he used since he didn't have an idea where the experience level of the group who attended. Some of this may be pretty basic.

Speaking for myself, that's a lot of stocks. For a 20 year history and having 8-10 pages of stocks would be huge for me. I've been investing for 12 years and have been involved in about 12 stocks. This just shows that the saying that there are a million ways to make a million bucks is definitely true.

He started off explaining the rule of 72. The rule of 72 explains how long it would take for an investment to double using a fixed interest rate. He compared the lowest investment of saving/checking accounts (.03%) to saving bonds (1.25%) to CDs (1.5%), to mutual funds (6%), to stocks (11%) and ended at commodities (70%). Items in paratheses are an average rate of return.

The rule of 72 is a good shorthand.

stock take over - the price of the stock that is being taken over will increase substantially

stock merger - the price of the stock may increase but not as much

Speaking for myself, I don't like take overs and mergers. My method involves investing in family run or majority shareholder run businesses. I believe that the entrepreneur that started it all, is the best person to run it. Especially if the company is large enough that I've bought into it. I also feel that the entrepreneur that started it all, if s/he has a huge stake in it, will run it with my interests in mind.

Any take over, or merger means that the decisions at the top will be diluted. At worst, a buyout may give me a huge chunk of cash that will be taxed. Personally I feel that I make more money if everything stays in place and I earn a tax-deferred compounding rate of return.

In the case of a buyout, it's like getting off a fast moving train.

In the case of a merger, it's like having two head chefs in the kitchen.

For me, neither is desirable.

He recommended watching the nightly business report which comes on at 5 PM CST. They cover a few minutes on what happend in the market. He has found a quick way to cathc up on the market.

He has made the most of his money from some people's favorite hobbies, tobacco, alcohol and credit cards. He said most people want to literally kill themselves smoking or drinking, or running up heir credit cards and he could reap the benefits by investing in various stocks. The presenter didn't have a credit card balance and made sure he paid everything during the billing cycle.

High margin businesses based on human addictions are always good to investors.

People often mistake how I invest. They say that I invest in retail. This is only partially true.

I invest in the human need to aspire to be associated with a brand (Fossil, Affliction, SilverStar, Mercedes, Rolex, etc.) in order to appease their ego. I think this will continue as long as I am alive and long after I'm gone. It's a very easy way to make money because there is a brand-level for all means and egos.

Invest in DRIPS Invest in a company directly without having to go through a brokerage account. There are plenty of well known companies on DRIPS.

Personally I don't invest in DRIPS because I don't see the point. For me, just because a dividend is paid doesn't mean that it's the best time to buy. I like to control when I buy and I buy when everybody is not. In addition, most of my businesses don't pay dividends. If I have a business that can compound money at huge rates, the last thing I want is a cash dividend that compounds at 0%. I want all the stock to compound tax-deferred and I will decide when I want the money.

He explained stock splits and used PG as an example. Everytime he bought more shares he sold that same amount when the stock doubled. This way he still got his money back while still continuing to get dividends and investing in the stock. He also explained 2 for 1 and 3 for 1 when a stock split. A stock splits when the company believes the price of their stock has gone too high for people to afford to purchase. When the stock splits the share owner maintains the stock but at a lower price and receives an additional share of the stock. No real value is lost when this happens. In addition the dividend would also decrease.

I don't care about splits. From my perspective, they don't have any impact.

Do you need an emergency fund? He flat out said "No". Most people have a credit card and if they have no current expenses (bills), a person would most likely use their credit card if they had to attend a funeral, buy a plane ticket, etc.

He explained load vs no load funds. These are easy for people who don't want to get involved with an investment and track the stocks they buy. He went on to compare a mutual fund to a stock investment over a ten year period. He used PG as an example. With a mutual fund you paid an amount year after year and after ten years that could add up to $1000. With a stock investment, he only paid $10 that first year and that was it.

Very true. If an investor knows what they are doing, the cost advantage is huge. It costs me the same to deploy $1K as it does $100K. Not so with a fund.

Buy low and sell high.

Easy to type; hard to do. But if you can, you will make a LOT of money. In my opinion, by being at the center of 4 crashes was the only way I went from no money to millionaire by the time I was in my early 30s. Money makes money. 99% will either run for the exits or be paralyzed when the next 'Tech Wreck' or 'Credit Crisis' happens.

Compounding money is magical. It's like having an increasingly amazing physique without spending time at the gym. It's unreal.

Start a brokerage account. Even if you want to use it for fun. There are several available. He recommended etrade for beginners and he used ameriprise.

I use TD Waterhouse, but from my perspective there is no difference between them. I buy once or twice a year and I've never paid more than $10 per trade.

He mentioned sweep accounts. Sweep accounts automatically transfer money that exceed or fall a certain level into a higher interest earning investment option at the close of each business day. Commonly, the excess cash is swept into money market funds (investopedia). I've never heard of this until today.

News to me. Good info.

Best regards.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest3722A

Now this is interesting. Del Monte Foods is getting bought by a private equity group but looking at the chart it looks likes someone already knew something before this announcement:

Del Monte Agrees to $4 Billion Buyout - WSJ.com

big.chart

I haven't been following this stock and just saw the news release today and figured I'd share it here as an example to what was being discussed in this thread so when I looked at the chart I obviously was a bit surprised to see such a strong rise prior to the announcement. My speculation is obviously wondering about illegal INSIDERS info that may have caused this move and is backed up by the surprised tone of shareholders : Yahoo! Message Boards - Del Monte Foods Company (DLM)

For me, interesting stuff!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.