The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'M PISSED OFF!

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Joe said this: Why would I help you, why would I give you my email address, I don't know you. I'm too busy anyways I work 12 hours a day.
He has 100+ Million dollars but can't answer a single email? Oh boy. That's why this form ROCKS! Helpful people everywhere. Screw Joe.
Joe and my cousin are not even true relatives ( I mean by blood, I hope you get it what I mean).

What value have you brought to this guy? I'm going to be blunt here and I hope you don't take offense. In this guys eyes you are just a young punk kid who is trying to steal time from him. To be honest, your initial question was not a great question. It wasn't necessarily bad but it wasn't great.

All my mentor relationships developed because I first provided value to them in some way. AND I didn't provide this value as a manipulative way of weaseling my way into their lives. I just wanted to return the value I had already received from them. Most if not all of these relationships have turned into great friendships.

Bimmer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Apr 5, 2014
1. Ignore your cousin, he just doesn't know better. Don't blame him
2. Be a man and go and visit your uncle. Don't start asking for tips or if he wants to be your mentor. But tell him you find entrepreneurship interesting and that you are curious how it all started with him (every successful entrepreneur loves talking about this) and just go from there, ask him if you can do anything to help him so that you can learn something.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
It does not matter what mindset your cousin or uncle have. Don't have anymore debate with your cousin. Simply ask him again if you can get an email address. If not, find another avenue to get in contact with him.

All you want to do is get advice from someone, correct? Your plan should not be to discuss fastlane or slowlane. It should only be to get his take on the world of business.

I don't think you would have run into any problems with your cousin if you would have approached this with a different mindset.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
Is there not your mom/dad or another aunt or uncle that can get that info, say you want to send him an e-card, make up a reason!

Here's what I did when I needed an execs email. I called where they worked and said to the receptionist: "I just tried to call [Joe Blow] and got his voicemail, I need to send him a quick email, do you have that handy?"
Without question, they gave me the email right away. If you use their name and sound serious enough, they won't ask questions.

Use bananatag plugin, send him an email, if he opens it, doesn't respond. Send another. After that, find someone else.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
So here is the story:
I have a cousin whose uncle is a multimillionaire. Today I asked him (my cousin 17yo) to ask for his uncle's email because I would love to have a mentor or to ask an experienced entrepreneur about things.
And I asked this question via my cousin: Would you pick a large or a small market if you had started today?
My cousin wrote this back: "You are talking bullshit" - *insert uncle name here*, go to university What the F*ck do you want as a 15 years old??! I was in an economic camp for a week and you have to go to university, everything starts with a good university!!!. Even (let's call the cousing Joe) Joe says that you are talking bullshit what do you want?
Me: amm okay bro, calm down, I might misunderstood something about the definition about markets could you please explain what a market means then? There are things that I want to learn before going to university,as you've said I'm 15 so I can't go there yet, I was thinking about gettin' a mentor ;)
He: Go to university, everything starts with a university.
Me: Only a university won't solve my problem, I need more than that 5y EXPERIENCE > 5y UNIVERSITY
My cousin wrote this back: COMON! YOU MONEY CHASER BASTARD WHAT DO YOU WANT AS A FREAKIN TEEN?! You are just a kid, money is not everything. GO TO A FREAKIN UNIVERSITY OR YOU WILL BE WORTHLESS
Me: Dude, calm the fck down I've never said that university is evil all I'm saying is that there are things that I can learn outside the university that cannot be learned inside it, from a millionaire. Don't write back I know I'm right.
Cousin: Bye, Neither me or my uncle has time for this pointless talking.

That's how you loose an opportunity to get a mentor, thanks to my a**hole cousin.
Now tell me guys. Is this fastlane attitude?

Maybe you can't see it now, but you are so far ahead of the game it doesn't even make sense. I dropped out of college at 16, and you might be even more ahead of the game than me.

I say this, because you're already on this site, reading the Millionaire Fastlane . When I was your age, I was about to enter my junior year of college, asking my college professors what good a college degree would get me. Around your age - shit, maybe exactly at your age - I decided that money was my motivation. I didn't find MJ's site until years later.

Think about it like this, bro. What's in it for them for you to get rich? MJ calls his advice the red pill, and that's a damn good analogy. From the looks of it, your people are stuck in the matrix. Some people - most people - never, ever get out.

What's in it for them for you to get rich? Think about what Drake says in the above video. Do you think these hatin' a$$ punks are going to LIKE it when you pull up in a car that says **** your life?

Congrats, bruh. You officially have haters. You should LOVE that. What fun is stuntin' if you have no one to stunt ON???

People STILL hate on me, Tiger. I have people close to me who KNOW the bread I've made. They've seen the deposits. They've seen me blow $50k. They've seen me cop Gucci and Louie like it's nothin', without checkin' the tags.

Don't worry, bro. I'ma show you what it looks like. I'ma show you what it looks like to make so much money that it hurts people's feelings. Don't stifle your rage. Don't suppress it. Let it grow inside of you. You need it. But don't just sit there bein' mad. Channel it. Let it motivate you to work for the weeks, months and years it will take to achieve your goal. There are going to be long nights ahead of you, if you're really 'bout this life. The people closest to you will doubt you. They'll say stupid crap to try to make you doubt yourself, make you think you're not going to really get it. But like Drizzy says: **** what they talkin' 'bout. They're opinion doesn't count.

Keep your eyes unflinchingly aimed on the prize. Concentrate. Focus on what matters. What do you need to do today to get yourself closer to where you want to go? What do you want your life to look like? While your haters are hating, you'll be working. While they're checking they're Facebooks, you'll be working. While they're lying about their lives on Instagram, you'll be working. While they're partying, you'll be working.

And then, one day, you'll get your glorious revenge. Keep following me, and I'll show you EXACTLY what that looks like.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Dude, I know you're young, but you are being extremely emotional and treat this place like it's your designated spot to whine. Don't you think a better use of your time would be to start learning something or reading the valuable posts in gold threads? Logically speaking, complaining provides you no value, while learning and taking action does.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
My problem was my cousin's attitude. He is acting like he knows everything because he went to a 10day economic camp.
If he was a great cousin he could convince his uncle, but no, he started acting like a "I know everything F*ck you" guy. That's all.

Screw your cousin, find another way to get that contact details

Once you get it then ask to help him by offering your time and that you are really keen to learn about entrepreneurship, they will remember what it was like when they were young.

If I were successful and one day a kid asked me to be a mentor I dont think I would be interested unless he had some venture started by himself and needed some specific advice. If he asked general crap like big and small markets I would just not care tbh.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
People get territorial over tiny shit when they know nothing.
Dudes get territorial when they have money.

The best solution is to not rush, take your time, do a lot of the leg work yourself, branch out to him if the opportunity arises and you have legit questions, otherwise ignore your fam fam, dig deep get stuff done, get a head start.

It is annoying though, not getting help, but it won't stop you.
Its better to forge your own path than get bad advice anyways.
If you really are 15, take biz all the way, become awesome by your 20's

Btw, I think markets are directly attatched to needs. For example, toy cars - presents for boys, cars - transport, leasure, vanity

So if you wanna know about a market connect it to the need.

Last edited:

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I'm with Allen on this one. Just cuz he's your uncle doesn't mean he owes you anything. Your cousin is acting like the gatekeeper in this scenario and I wouldn't be surprised if you're not the first person in your family to come to your uncle like that. Your uncle is a busy man and probably just doesn't want riff-raff coming in trying to get a slice.

Inform him that you simply want to learn as much as possible so that you can succeed while in university and beyond that. Tell him that you're willing to work for your uncle for free if only to learn a little bit about how to do business.

Your age might still be a problem here, though. And if your uncle still doesn't want to talk to you, forget about him. There are more opportunities. Re-read the book and stretch your idea muscle.

I agree with this. And I am assuming that you are not that close to them if you don't have direct contact to the uncle- Just because you are related, doesn't mean he has to help you .I think that you are getting worked up over something that isn't a huge deal- Yeah, your cousins response was an a$$ hole way to respond, but just forget about him. Try to get into contact with your uncle directly- ask your grandma or your parents to help you get his contact info. But, don't get discouraged or mad if he isn't interested in helping- If your uncle is successful, chances are you are not the first person to ask him these types of questions, and he may just be too busy.

Either way, read some of the threads on the forum that talk about getting a mentor, maybe that will help you out!

G

GuestUser113

Mentor/mentee relationships are very valuable and its wise to have more than one mentor. But what should you ask yourself before you ask someone to be your mentor? Here are a few simple but important questions:

1. Is my prospective mentor the person that I want to be in 10-20 years?
Don’t ask someone to be your mentor if you don’t feel like where they are today is where you want to be tomorrow. If they don’t represent your aspirational values or goals, don’t pursue. Otherwise you are looking to establish a lame-duck mentor that won’t add value to you, and worst they won’t gain any personal satisfaction from mentoring you. Your wasting both you’re time.

2. Does my prospective mentor love/value me?
Asking someone to be your mentor is a pretty deep question. Just as you wouldn’t pull out a ring on the first date, asking someone to be your mentor without establishing a personal relationship is dangerous! Ask to meet for coffee a few times, see if there is chemistry or value to be added and satisfaction to be gained. If not, drop it. Asking someone you don’t know, or—more importantly—doesn’t know/value you, to be your mentor is asking for an empty mentor/mentee relationship.

3. Will I be proactive in this relationship?
Don’t pursue a mentor, if you’re not willing to put in the work. In all of my mentoring relationships where I am the mentee, I text/call and setup the coffee appointments and set the agenda in the meetings. I rarely ask my mentors to prepare an agenda or talking points, rather I come prepared with questions ready to delve into their wisdom. I’ve seen this played out on the flip side. One of my mentees did this for me recently, by sending a list of questions he had for me before our meeting as a way for me to better prepare without the stress of having to come up with content on my own. His hard work and forethought made it very easy for me as a mentor to serve him better.

Here’s one question you shouldn’t ask:

Does he/she really have time for me?
Let your prospective mentor decide if he/she has time for you. Sometimes we are too quick to answer for them, thinking there is no way someone this awesome has enough time for me. Chances are, if they value you or see potential in the mentor/mentee relationship, they will make time for you.

firmwear

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Dec 26, 2013
I've decide that I will never tell anyone, anything about my business life.
After those things my chances of my mom helping me setting up a paypal account, that I could buy the INSIDERS membership with, reduced to ZERO, but I'll become an INSIDERS sooner or later.
She is saying that this forum might be scam because wealthy people would not be there, sooo yea...

Without trying to sound too sarcastic: do you have a business life yet?

Try to chill out. I think you are trying to let other people know how right you are, all the time and if you did not realize it yet, you are probably annoying the f*** out of the other people around you.

I am not trying to talk down to you, or pretend I am a big biz guy (I am a slowlaner), but just as a regular dude.

Nobody said this yet, but I think even though it sucks, the big thing to do is to square things up with the cousin. I do not know your family or the whole conversation (I just saw your excerpts), but if parents are getting involved then you probably went too far and you should be a little proactive in fixing this up.

Also, do you know for sure your uncle made his money in a shady way? Do you have proof positive? Unless you do, it screams out sour grapes and you are putting yourself in a bad frame of mind. Also, do not look down on the slowlaners, just because they do not have the same outlook on life does not mean they are inherently bad or lazy. In fact, many are hard-working and have very admirable traits.

I understand that your cousin did not help things any, but you also could have handled things a little bit better, right?

Last thing, I would recommend at this juncture that your family should be your last avenue for help and you should just try doing things on your own. I recommend the RichKid's guide to hustling thread or $2500 in a week thread, it is one of my favorite. You could probably earn enough money to buy your own INSIDERS's membership.

Last edited by a moderator:

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
So here is the story:
I have a cousin whose uncle is a multimillionaire. Today I asked him (my cousin 17yo) to ask for his uncle's email because I would love to have a mentor or to ask an experienced entrepreneur about things.
And I asked this question via my cousin: Would you pick a large or a small market if you had started today?
My cousin wrote this back: "You are talking bullshit" - *insert uncle name here*, go to university What the F*ck do you want as a 15 years old??! I was in an economic camp for a week and you have to go to university, everything starts with a good university!!!. Even (let's call the cousing Joe) Joe says that you are talking bullshit what do you want?
Me: amm okay bro, calm down, I might misunderstood something about the definition about markets could you please explain what a market means then? There are things that I want to learn before going to university,as you've said I'm 15 so I can't go there yet, I was thinking about gettin' a mentor ;)
Me: Only a university won't solve my problem, I need more than that 5y EXPERIENCE > 5y UNIVERSITY
My cousin wrote this back: COMON! YOU MONEY CHASER BASTARD WHAT DO YOU WANT AS A FREAKIN TEEN?! You are just a kid, money is not everything. GO TO A FREAKIN UNIVERSITY OR YOU WILL BE WORTHLESS
Me: Dude, calm the fck down I've never said that university is evil all I'm saying is that there are things that I can learn outside the university that cannot be learned inside it, from a millionaire. Don't write back I know I'm right.

That's how you loose an opportunity to get a mentor, thanks to my a**hole cousin.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I'm with Allen on this one. Just cuz he's your uncle doesn't mean he owes you anything. Your cousin is acting like the gatekeeper in this scenario and I wouldn't be surprised if you're not the first person in your family to come to your uncle like that. Your uncle is a busy man and probably just doesn't want riff-raff coming in trying to get a slice.

Inform him that you simply want to learn as much as possible so that you can succeed while in university and beyond that. Tell him that you're willing to work for your uncle for free if only to learn a little bit about how to do business.

Your age might still be a problem here, though. And if your uncle still doesn't want to talk to you, forget about him. There are more opportunities. Re-read the book and stretch your idea muscle.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Bucket-of-crabs.jpg

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST CONTAINS HEAVY SARCASM!

The Millionaire Fastlane Is A Scam! Confirmed by a MULTI-Millionaire!
Wonder why you have to pay to become an INSIDERS? Those silly swindlers will say that it's the only way to separate the valuable part of the forum from the noisy part. THEY ARE LIARS! If they were real millionaires they wouldn't hang on forums and you wouldn't have to pay for value because they would be already rich!

So back to my story:

My aunt (the mother of my cousin) phoned my mom that I was HARASSING her children MULTIPLE TIMES on their holiday and I should stop.
// LOL!
"Me and my husband as professors highly recommend you to ban your son from viewing this forum because it will rot his brain, even Joe (you will know who I use this name for if you read the whole thread) says that he is being scammed by pathetic poor, stealing people, they abuse the stupid. The university is the only way to become a millionaire, a good university is the start of anything, if your son is thinking otherwise then he will never be a successful man, if you don't go there the people WON'T RESPECT YOU."
// Yea they won't respect me, people usually can tell if I went to college without telling them. haha
// Okay so I understand that most of the internet millionaire stories and stuff are BS, but they don't know this site.. it's like calling an ethnicity something like "Stupid [INSERT ETHNICITY HERE] they steal a lot of iron", a skin color won't make a person bad (I hope you got my example).
// Why can't she take care of her children isntead? Why does she has to "harass" me? I have a better GPA then them so she should STFU.

Just wanted to write it down, honestly this shittalking empowers me to do my business thingy even more!

Thanks for listening.

Just ignore them. Whenever you taken an unconventional path in life you are going to run into haters and naysayers, it is inevtiable.

Whenever I decided to drop out of college, I had at least half a dozen relatives tell me that I was making a mistake. I remember, over Christmas break last year my Aunt pulled me aside (an aunt who lives in Canada and someone who I see maybe once every 5 years) and basically gave me a speech about how I was making a huge, life-changing mistake- I remember thinking to myself, "What the hell, this lady hasn't seen me since I was 15 years old, there is no way in hell she knows what is best for me." At first it really bothered me that a lot of my friends and family members where banking on me failing, but eventually I just stopped caring, and I started using their doubt as fuel to keep me motivated. I had the support of my parents, my sisters, and my 2 best friends and that is really all that matters.

You are not going to be able to convince people that you are doing the right thing for you, so just work your a$$ off to show them.

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
What value have you brought to this guy? I'm going to be blunt here and I hope you don't take offense. In this guys eyes you are just a young punk kid who is trying to steal time from him. To be honest, your initial question was not a great question. It wasn't necessarily bad but it wasn't great.

All my mentor relationships developed because I first provided value to them in some way. AND I didn't provide this value as a manipulative way of weaseling my way into their lives. I just wanted to return the value I had already received from them. Most if not all of these relationships have turned into great friendships.

My problem was my cousin's attitude. He is acting like he knows everything because he went to a 10day economic camp.
If he was a great cousin he could convince his uncle, but no, he started acting like a "I know everything F*ck you" guy. That's all.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
Don't beat yourself up over that. Live and learn.

Sounds like a great way to provide value ;)

I looked after that guy and he is not doing only "legal" things so I think I'm lucky that I "f*ked up". :)

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
You won't make it far if you let others control your emotions so much, you need a thick skin in business
Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_274 using Tapatalk

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
I won't. I've tried. I've showed him the idea and he rejected it.
"I don't have a goal to become a millionaire that fast"

Joe said this: Why would I help you, why would I give you my email address, I don't know you. I'm too busy anyways I work 12 hours a day.

He has 100+ Million dollars but can't answer a single email? Oh boy. That's why this form ROCKS! Helpful people everywhere. Screw Joe.
Joe and my cousin are not even true relatives ( I mean by blood, I hope you get it what I mean).

TheHawk

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 7, 2014
So here is the story:

What does your uncle do? Does he run his own company, or is the money through other means? Very odd how there would be a response like that if you were generally interested in being an entrepreneur and seeking his advice.

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
Btw Vigilante what does Warp mean under your name? biophase also has a Warp stuff under his.

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
What does your uncle do? Does he run his own company, or is the money through other means? Very odd how there would be a response like that if you were generally interested in being an entrepreneur and seeking his advice.
He was working in a bank, he bought industries for small $$$ and renewed them and sold it for big $$$. He is investing in clearly everything.
But I think that's not the only thing that made him rich.

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
Whatever, I'll find an other mentor and I'll show him that I was right. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.