The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm finally joining the crowd!

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
No real update. Still plugging away on the follow up to 'Turn It Loose' (yes, moving sloooooow. had a few big freelance gigs that have been amazing & took up a lot of time), plus it looks like this book won't be a novella at all; might be a full-length novel. The story is taking longer to unfold. In the meantime, still selling books, not A LOT, but steady sales, so I'm happy. Need to work harder on building the catalog.

QUESTION: I've had ZERO luck making my first Bad Dates book permafree on Amazon. It's free on Google Play and $.99 on BN. How can I make this happen quicker?

thanks guys!

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
QUESTION: I've had ZERO luck making my first Bad Dates book permafree on Amazon. It's free on Google Play and $.99 on BN. How can I make this happen quicker?
thanks guys!

Great progress! And have you tried using Smashwords to upload everything?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX

If you use SmashWords, change the price to free. When I did that and the price updated on BN, it took 3 days before Amazon had it for free too.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
upload to itunes, i heard they match it quickly... or alternatively try emailing amazon kdp dept and ask them.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
upload to itunes, i heard they match it quickly... or alternatively try emailing amazon kdp dept and ask them.

Email them as myself, the author? Or as a customer?

I'm going to upload both Bad Dates books to iTunes, but even that seems complicated lol. I signed up for an account, but do I sign up for a free account for the free book & paid account for the paid book?

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Update: Still not permafree on Amazon, despite being free on iTunes. lol. Not sure what the deal is, but whatevs. Book one of the Bad Dates Series is free on iTunes & Google Play, but remains at 99-cent on BN and Amazon.

Dang, how frustrating! Am I recalling correctly that there's a group on the KDP boards where people go to ask for help with this? I don't remember exactly how this works, but something about everyone reports the price discrepancy?

seamles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 30, 2014
Just got through this whole thread. Awesome to see all the work you've done. Looks like you've gotten some amazing reviews and you have side businesses and consulting set up too! Your website looks awesome. Seems like you're hustling right along the fastlane track!

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Hey everyone, quick update! I know it's been a while...

FINALLY finished & published by next book, Two Steps Back. It's the follow-up to the first book, Turn It Loose (TIL).

BTW: I also had both covers designed professionally (had TIL re-designed).
JaylahsBooks_sm.png

I decided to run a free promo on TIL on Saturday (it was originally supposed to last the entire weekend), and I got over 7400 DLs that day! Sales of both books have been pretty good so far. They're in some Top 100 categories, and TIL is sub-5,000 in the Kindle store, and TSB is around the 15,000 mark.

I bought a Goodreads ad on a whim for TIL, it'll be running later this week. Let's see if it yields any results.

Other than that, I'm still plugging along. Going to get started on the next book soon!

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Tiny update: My first Bad Dates & Other Disasters book is FINALLY price-matched to free (from 99-cents), it only took like 5 months LOL.

I've already gotten a new lukewarm review about how short the book is. DUH, it's estimated at 30 pages lol. Oh well...I'm thinking of ditching that series all together b/c it's been a very slow performer (though it was FUN to write), but we'll see. I might just finish it just because.

Two Steps Back & Turn It Loose (my signature series, I suppose) is still selling (and getting reviews). This makes me HAPPY since I love it so.

Working on a new book. Wanted to have it out by August 1st, now moving that deadline to September. New genre, new pen name! *crosses fingers* I think it'll be a hit. :)

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
Don't take it down unless it's hurting your brand :) Even one sale once a quarter is an extra sale. If you're happy with the book, it's always something in your backlist for those who enjoy your writing.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Don't take it down unless it's hurting your brand :) Even one sale once a quarter is an extra sale. If you're happy with the book, it's always something in your backlist for those who enjoy your writing.

Hey Joanna,

Wasn't planning on taking it down, just not sure I'll write the third book. We'll see.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Update time!

How long has it been?

Anywho, I JUST (actually, yesterday evening) released another book. Decided to try my hand at a new sub-genre (New adult/Interracial romance), but it's still a love story...which, I'm a total sucker for.

So far it seems to be going really well, borrows are outpacing sales and I already had one return (sucka!), but I'm happy. I expect it to keep climbing the charts!

I'm trying my hand at the sexy guy on the cover thing, so we'll see how it goes. Take a look:

Screen-Shot-2014-10-08-at-7.53.10-PM-e1413060485854.png

Mosey on over to Amazon to read the prod. description, a preview, and give me your thoughts here.

Last edited:

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Wow, ranked at 3,409 just a couple days after release! This seems to bode REALLY well. Can't wait to hear how it goes from here!

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Wow, ranked at 3,409 just a couple days after release! This seems to bode REALLY well. Can't wait to hear how it goes from here!

Hopefully only up. LOL *crosses fingers*

I already have one 4-star review, which came from a stranger cuz I didn't release any ARCs this time. I was annoyed cuz the person said they HATED the end of the book. Ugh. But then I remembered that I'm REALLY proud of myself for this book. It's my longest yet, and I really like my characters.

So...it's already a success, no matter what.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Ok...so it's a little early on the updates, but I wanted to stop by and say my book is doing pretty well. I think this is the best opening for any of my books so far.

My book, When You're Ready, went live on Friday afternoon/evening and today (Monday) it already has 4 good reviews & is currently #2,119 in the paid Kindle Store!

I want to get onPpage 2 in the New Adult & College sub-genre (en route to page 1 of course :)), and I'm not that far off in terms of rankings (I need to get to about 1,700).

Before the book dropped I didn't do any/much promotion. I didn't mention it, only shared the cover a few days (or a day?) before because initially I was going to write it under a pen name. So this is even more interesting to watch.

Anyway, things are going well so far! If you're the sharing type, feel free to drop a link to my book on your social networks (here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OD92N4A). I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Huge congrats, 2k rating is gooood. Awesome to see work payoff eh, and seeing that more you release better it gets? :)

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Huge congrats, 2k rating is gooood. Awesome to see work payoff eh, and seeing that more you release better it gets? :)

Definitely. I'm already working on an erotic romance series I'm going to try out under a pen name, before I finish up the series under my own name. :) Hopefully I can have them all out before the end of the year.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
So, umm, a brief update to today's update.

My numbers have gone up (or down, depending on how you look at it) on my book ( here ). This is the best sales rank I've EVER had. YAY!!

As of Monday night, 10pm PST:
My guess is borrows count for A LOT (way more than they used to) in terms of ranking cuz I have more borrows than sales. Let's see how that pans out in terms of royalties, though.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Still holding steady in the high 1900s/low 2000s. Any idea how I can push it solidly into the 1000s (and hundreds? calling @ChickenHawk @COSenior @Rawr, et. al).

Patience? I only have 5 reviews, so buying an ad somewhere may not be possible.

Any ideas?

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Still holding steady in the high 1900s/low 2000s. Any idea how I can push it solidly into the 1000s (and hundreds?...Any ideas?

Yup! Write another book. :)
Not even kidding. My breakout book (Book#1) peaked a full month after its release date, so you still have lots of time for your rank to climb naturally.

And...
My Book#1 didn't REALLY peak until a few weeks after Book #2 was released. If it were me, I wouldn't "waste" your effort on marketing just yet. Instead, I'd work your butt off to get another similar book out there asap. If it appeals to a similar market, it will pull up Book#1 naturally, and the momentum of both books will fuel each other, giving you a ton more bang for your effort.

My theory: You're actually better off if your current book doesn't hit the top 100 right now, because you have nothing similar to offer. If you have two books hit at the same time, however, you can make some SERIOUS progress.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Yup! Write another book. :)

Sigh...I was afraid you might say that. LOL. So funny, two people have already asked about a sequel. I'm thinking...Sequel?! This story is DONE.

Apparently not.

Do you think people are pre-programmed for sequels these days? What happened to the days when books left a few things up in the air & you just dealt with it. These days, folks want a FULL conclusion to everything.

If it were me, I wouldn't "waste" your effort on marketing just yet. Instead, I'd work your butt off to get another similar book out there asap. If it appeals to a similar market, it will pull up Book#1 naturally, and the momentum of both books will fuel each other, giving you a ton more bang for your effort.

Write another book....sigh...I'll see what I can do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.