The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Think I may have figured out my Fastlane Strategy

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Hello guys,

I am excited to announce that I believe I may have found the system / strategy I need to take my business to the fastlane PRONTO!

I won't go into my niche, but I will give an example of what I think I need to do and you can give me your 2 cents and share your personal experience.

------------
Lets say I have the best car insurance company and there is a major car dealership that has 1000s of outlets across the country (US) - but they (the car dealership) don't offer insurance to to their customers, they just sell cars.

My plan/idea is to contact the car dealers and ask them to recommend our insurance company to every client that buys a car and in return they would get a % of the net revenue generated monthly from each person that signs up. We would take care of all client needs / questions / payouts / customer care / pre-sell / after sale etc. all they would have to do is recommend us when a car is sold, after that they do nothing at all. And this could mean an extra $1mil to their bottom line every month.

-------------

All right the above sample is just that, an example. That is not my niche, but that is my train of thoughts.

What do you guys think and how da heck do I go about executing this?

I am having someone write up a business proposal... my plan is to ring up the companies, ask to speak to the person in charge of partnerships give them a quick brief about the idea then ask for their email to send the "official" proposal.

Would it be smarter to hire a salesperson to contact them for me and close the deals ? (I'm not the best sales man - but I know I can sell when I really want to)

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

5holiday

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 7, 2012
What do you guys think and how da heck do I go about executing this?

Two thoughts here:

1) did you run through the example criteria MJ's book gives? CENTS?

Its hard to know how good your idea is without knowing the exact product/offer. However, considering you are most likely as capable as most people on this forum - I'm sure that you could be successful in business even with other regular and mediocre ideas.

2) was this your first and only main idea? did you consider alternative ideas?

I'm guessing that you have considered other business ideas you have, and this was one of the best ones. Excellent!

However, if you haven't, I am sure you would agree that part of the entrepreneur's journey involves learning how to judge your own ideas regardless of other people's opinions. It would be a useful skill to acquire, and now would be a great time to start.

Would it be smarter to hire a salesperson to contact them for me and close the deals ? (I'm not the best sales man - but I know I can sell when I really want to)

Honestly, I think its better that you A) learn to sell, and B) do the selling work yourself first.

Doing this means you can learn more about your product and the customer's buying triggers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Two thoughts here:

1) did you run through the example criteria MJ's book gives? CENTS?

Its hard to know how good your idea is without knowing the exact product/offer. However, considering you are most likely as capable as most people on this forum - I'm sure that you could be successful in business even with other regular and mediocre ideas.

2) was this your first and only main idea? did you consider alternative ideas?

I'm guessing that you have considered other business ideas you have, and this was one of the best ones. Excellent!

However, if you haven't, I am sure you would agree that part of the entrepreneur's journey involves learning how to judge your own ideas regardless of other people's opinions. It would be a useful skill to acquire, and now would be a great time to start.

Honestly, I think its better that you A) learn to sell, and B) do the selling work yourself first.

Doing this means you can learn more about your product and the customer's buying triggers.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes sir, this is the one I want to focus on.

There is a NEED for my service, my main keywords get over 800k searches per month in Google alone.

The entry barrier is there, but its quite low - however there aren't as many competitors as there are in the other sub niches in my industry. I think in order for someone to get in and set up a business in my niche they would have to invest at least $1k + in making a website and countless hours or a couple of thousands of dollars to market themselves. So that's at least $2k they would need to invest. They would also need a specialized skill -i.e like a adobe after effect graphics designer.

Control - I am in full control of the business, even if I do not partner up with these people I can market without them and still grow but it would just take longer and more resources.

Scale - this can be scaled up to 1000 orders per week with branding and smart marketing (like I said, there are over 800k exact searches for my main 5 keywords).

I have built a website that is that will do the heavy lifting for me :)....so once I have put in 2-3 employees I could go do my own thing and the business could easily make money and thrive free of my Time.

I think I'm going to try to sign up a few smaller "dealerships" on my own and see how it works, if I'm having hard luck with that then I will hire an expert telemarketer/sales person to contact the potential partners for me and close the deals.

I look at it like this; if you were to negotiate a $1mil. deal and had pretty much no experience in negotiating, would you A) go do it yourself and maybe come out with a "poor" deal or B) Hire an expert negotiator with 20 years of experience and 100s if not 1000s of deals just like that one on his CV.

I think personally I'd go with B.

I am sure you would agree that part of the entrepreneur's journey involves learning how to judge your own ideas regardless of other people's opinions. It would be a useful skill to acquire, and now would be a great time to start.

Cheers for your thoughts bro. I think I will take your advice and not give 2 shits about what you all think :D

Last edited by a moderator:

5holiday

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 7, 2012
Cheers for your thoughts bro. I think I will take your advice and not give 2 shits about what you all think

Haha !

I look at it like this; if you were to negotiate a $1mil. deal and had pretty much no experience in negotiating, would you A) go do it yourself and maybe come out with a "poor" deal or B) Hire an expert negotiator with 20 years of experience and 100s if not 1000s of deals just like that one on his CV.

Sure, I can't convince you otherwise. I personally would prefer, for example, to negotiate a $1000 deal a few times first and work my way towards the $1m, and learn as I go. It would help me understand what concerns my customers have and how could improve my product to address those concerns.

Best of luck! keep us updated on how it goes :)

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Haha !

Sure, I can't convince you otherwise. I personally would prefer, for example, to negotiate a $1000 deal a few times first and work my way towards the $1m, and learn as I go. It would help me understand what concerns my customers have and how could improve my product to address those concerns.

Best of luck! keep us updated on how it goes :)

I will :)

I'm going to update the front page (make it more landing page like), then from Monday I'll start making phone calls to get the emails of the decision makers :)

gulp86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 8, 2013
It's called affiliate marketing...(or not, correct me if im wrong).

BTW if you need any help with PPC both search and Display banners let me know.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
It's called affiliate marketing...(or not, correct me if im wrong).

BTW if you need any help with PPC both search and Display banners let me know.

Yeah, but I don't want to call them up and be like "Hey why don't you become an affiliate marketer for my company" They'd probably hang up on me. I will ask for "partnership" :)

Thanks for your PPC/display offer. Post your elance details (or your website), as I will most likely be hiring someone from there or through a marketing agency.

gulp86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 8, 2013
Thanks for your PPC/display offer. Post your elance details (or your website), as I will most likely be hiring someone from there or a marketing agency.

I didnt mean you hire me, if I can be of any help to you in specific problems you have i might be able to help there (free of course), Ive been doing it on a daily basis for years for myself and clients.

I have a website but its in spanish, so no use to you, I never had to present credentials before to get clients though, PM me if I can be of any help and good luck with your project

Carny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 20, 2013
Insurance was an example.

To the op, you say this is a $1mil deal. Does that mean you are going to make just one deal worth a million, or is it 1000 $1000 deals? In your example of the insurance each dealer is a possible deal. If you have only one shot I'd hire someone, if it's lots of smaller deals learn what you can quickly and then just start doing it.

I feel obligated to mention that I'm not on the fastlane myself, lol

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
You pick up the phone and call the first company. And you see what they say. You see if there is someone already doing this with them, or if they have better terms. Then you call 5-10 more. Then you sit down to re-plan.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Insurance was an example.

To the op, you say this is a $1mil deal. Does that mean you are going to make just one deal worth a million, or is it 1000 $1000 deals? In your example of the insurance each dealer is a possible deal. If you have only one shot I'd hire someone, if it's lots of smaller deals learn what you can quickly and then just start doing it.

I feel obligated to mention that I'm not on the fastlane myself, lol

That's right buddy, it was just an example.

Well, I'm going to make like 10-100 deals like these over the course of the year.

Each one might be worth an extra $10k-100k to the partners' bottom line. That is $10k a year.... Now if I went for the BIG BOYs in the industry that would be worth probably close to a $1mil+/year deal. But I have to work my way up to it... I have to reinvest and make the website just right, and I have to invest in promo and getting credibility and social proof (i.e XYZ company is already doing so) before I go after the sharks.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
You pick up the phone and call the first company. And you see what they say. You see if there is someone already doing this with them, or if they have better terms. Then you call 5-10 more. Then you sit down to re-plan.

I'm 97% sure the majority (if not all) will not have anyone doing this with them!

I did call 1 person last week, I had a 3 min. quick chat and was given an email to send the proposal :)

It def. sounded like they would be intr.

I'm still waiting on my landing page to be ready before I start making phone calls and sending emails out. I only get 1 chance to make a 1st impression.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I've been in sales on and off over the years. From my experience, if you have a great product with lots of value at a good price, that makes sense, they'll buy. The decision makers are usually pretty smart people, and if not, they have smart people to make suggestions to them.
GETTING to the decision makers is difficult. Remember the person, secretary, receptionist, is the keymaster. Without that person, you will never get in the door. Be super nice, try to leave a positive impression. Be persistent but not a pain in the a$$. If you make several calls, and no luck, joke about it with the person who answers. Eventually, you will get through. Good luck.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I'm 97% sure the majority (if not all) will not have anyone doing this with them!

I did call 1 person last week, I had a 3 min. quick chat and was given an email to send the proposal :)

It def. sounded like they would be intr.

I'm still waiting on my landing page to be ready before I start making phone calls and sending emails out. I only get 1 chance to make a 1st impression.

How many companies are there to call? The last sentence is the resistance - something I learned from PatrickP is that you must see what the market says to you, you have to put it out there and see what they are doing or what they want, and THEN think of how to approach the terms. If they are already doing this or there are other barriers or stuff you might not be aware of, YOU MUST figured this out before expending MORE TIME. That's why I was advising actually talking to more clients, and not worrying about the impressions. It's difficult to grasp this but IMO is the right move to put something that market likes and make $ vs putting something you think they'll like and fail.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
How many companies are there to call? The last sentence is the resistance - something I learned from PatrickP is that you must see what the market says to you, you have to put it out there and see what they are doing or what they want, and THEN think of how to approach the terms. If they are already doing this or there are other barriers or stuff you might not be aware of, YOU MUST figured this out before expending MORE TIME. That's why I was advising actually talking to more clients, and not worrying about the impressions. It's difficult to grasp this but IMO is the right move to put something that market likes and make $ vs putting something you think they'll like and fail.

There are literally 1000s of companies across the globe I can approach, but I like to practice pareto's law whenever I can - and just focus on the main 20% that will probably bring in the most sales i.e the medium and big corporations.

The email swipe is ready. Just waiting for the landing page to be done then I will start calling around.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I think I have, nothing is 100% in life until it's confirmed by actual evidence.

Thanks for the philosophy lesson. :)

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
How is this going?

Shit did not go well so I guess I can share the original plan.

I have a copywriting company. I figured who needs content? People that have just signed up for a domain and hosting.

So I contacted every major player in the hosting game for a partnership and asked if they would simply put a link on their website and recommend us to their readers in return for that they would get %50 of the net profits that were generated from the link (basically affiliate link).

Did not manage to close one.

But a company like Hostgator has like millions of users and thousands of new users every month... if the link was placed at the right place I could bank quite hard... and they could make lots of $$$ too ON auto pilot.

Not sure why most of them were not intr.

The few that replied told me they already had a team of copywriters (okay idiots if you do then why not recommend your copywriting services to newly registered domain owners - obviously they will need good content for their websites .... duhhhh) and Hostgator told me they could possibly do it in a few months, but they had their own writing company so...basically the same excuse as the others.

Well... I tried, I believe the method was good, I executed well (at least with Hostgator - I got to speak with the Person in Charge of that kind of stuff), with the other companies I called them up and either got told to send an email to xxx person or to send email to info/hello/enquires@ xxxxxx.com

99% of those pricks did not even reply.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.