The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I quit the job, here's my journey

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
What did you leave behind job wise? Why did you quit before your business was up and making money? I have nothing against the choice...just interested in the background. Best of luck to you. Drown out that family and friend noise...crush the world, son!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Danny G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 10, 2011
Bulgaria
Brave step! It sounds like you have something going on there, I hope you choose the right choices going through the road of your fastlane path. Fingers crossed for you!

Blueskies4me

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 9, 2014
Noblesville, Indiana
To be transparent I reached my breaking point when I always had to explain why I kept leaving my desk, I have some health issues that do require me to leave for a while to get some air and relax.

Good for you. Honestly, when I read this "quitting your job" title I just thought it was some just someone over zealous about the idea of a fastlane business overnight. Tough decision I'm sure for you but I really hope you find peace and your own path. If I can help, let me know. I'm not an internet / ecommerce guru but I may be able to help in other areas.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I'm like "that must be a sign!". probably not
....don't be so sure.

You know...I think it's like when you buy something new like...let's say a car...suddenly you start noticing all the other cars on the road like, or similar to your new car. You're aware. Now...take this a step further...You have a changed mindset and are aware there are problems that need solved that will help people. Suddenly...you start seeing all kinds of 'problems' but with your new mindset those 'problems' are opportunities.

Go get 'em !

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Thanks for the post guys! sorry for late reply, been super busy trying to ramp up for when I get my products in. Plus trying to plan this darn giveway is killing me at the moment.

Just hit he weights for the first time in weeks today. Felt damn good.

Trying to do as much as I can while I wait for the products, the wait is killin' me, I'm ready to get out there and sell!

Berserker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Feb 26, 2014
UK
Loved reading this thread, really inspiring. You've got some good momentum going! I'm in the process of trying to get my prototype made professionally. I haven't been drumming up industry interest as you have though, haven't really thought about anything apart from getting my prototype made! I'm sure the ideas will come as they need to though...

Good luck pal - Looking forward to seeing your progress :)

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
Great story man thus far and I hope your mom is OK! In case you still deal with sciatica, can I propose this video and in general, the flushing technique?

I have used it with some clients and it helped. Also a good addition, although I am not sure how into this kind of stuff you are, you can stretch your Superior Front Line (a term we use in myofascia release) with the following postures

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t31/1622427_605132749575080_1373473307_o.jpg

Keep rocking, I love your journey ^_^

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
@ManWithABeard congrats on your journey...its always been motivating to read such stories!
Cant wait to have my own post of success, for now its planning for me and looking for more opportunities while learning.
Keep us posted! :)

Mr. Tycoon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Mar 6, 2014
London ,UK
@RBefort, thanks for the reply man. hope all is well
To answer your questions, the only thing I really left behind is security and a steady paycheck. To be transparent I reached my breaking point when I always had to explain why I kept leaving my desk, I have some health issues that do require me to leave for a while to get some air and relax. I had no problem getting medical proof as I even had to go to the ER one day due to the stress from the work environment. The lack of freedom finally got to me, I thought to myself that I'm going to lose my life being tied to the cubicle, that I'm going to die never experiencing the luxury of true freedom.

I really hope I make it, but if I don't, atleast I tried, as fastlaners, we all can atleast say that we all tried what most people only daydream about.

Good for you,man..

About the family,who cares??
Its your life..

HerpMogul

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Oct 23, 2013
Locationless
Hey man I appreciate the kind words! As far as trying to do this with minimal to no web development skills and knowledge: my opinion is that it is not exactly necessary to have that skillset. It does help though I will say that. Last year I didn't have any knowledge of code, but I went to Code Academy on a whim and was surprisingly having fun doing it. I remember Cantwait2's success story (whose along with MJ's success story brought me a few years ago) and when he first started, he didn't know anything about code but interestingly enough, he would look at it and kind of 'get it'.

Also, last year, I would make fake landing pages over and over again each day until I was comfortable with what I was doing without having to look up stuff for reference. hope this helps!

I say just go for it man, start with a wordress platform. It may not look pretty in the beginning but it's all about providing good content/service/product and fulfilling that need.

Ah man, thanks so much MJ! It's awesome you replied in my thread and I have the hugest dumbest smile on my face right now.

As far as profits go, since this is a fairly new industry and market, the margin is pretty good. Before I got in, I saw businesses getting almost 120% profit margin on the products. However, with more interest in this market, the profit margin dropped but only a little. On the three sales alone for example I spent $6 on and sold for $28 each. In my opinion, it's definitely scalable.

Will post again soon, currently at the library picking up some books a couple coding languages.

Also, I appreciate the move MJ! I had a feeling I may have put this thread in the section LOL.

take care everyone, I will be back in a few days with an update!
Thanks for the reply man and that's what I expected. I think I will get a few books and at least try to familiarize myself with it before hiring someone. Def rooting for yah and looking forward to updates and eventually the big reveal!

Btw, You did the right think cutting the chord and it will only hurt for a minute!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Hey BeastWithABeard....Sosososososososo....STOP USING 'SO' AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SENTENCE ! It makes you look bad. Rant over. ;)

Great story about your girlfriend. Seems you two may be on your way to World Domination :wideyed:

Keep going !

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
So, its kind of hard hard for me to stop using that word. Haha just kidding, thank you for the advice, I will surely work on it!

Thanks brother! Maybe one day her and I will be a power couple!

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Quick update for everyone.

I am scheduled to have a phone conversation with a local B&M, he sounds pretty interested so I am going to see what we can do to get products in his store. I will also offer to have a live demo at the location as well.

I am going to use some past sales techniques I've learned in the past. It's going to almost like an interview instead of a sales call.

for example I will be asking questions mainly:
-What's your customer base?
-What do you they usually come in to buy?
-What questions do they typically ask your staff?

This is mainly to put the potential client at ease, and to also show that I care and I'm not just trying a whole bunch of stuff on him.

Been a busy week, been running the blog non-stop and have been e-mailing back and forth to the chinese manufacturers as well.

I will post again with another update soon. Thanks for following so far everyone and stay tuned!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Forget the crossed fingers.... You're doing fine.
Uncross them and you can hold more money !

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I know exactly how you feel. I spent a lot of money and time this past year getting a REAL education. I'm very thankful !

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
Hey man. Unfortunately I have no groundbreaking advice on how to instantly make everything better (if I did I would definitely give it to you!). Just want to say that your drive really is inspiring, and something that the vast majority of the population could benefit from experiencing. I'm sure I'm not alone in believing in you and your undoubtedly incredible future. Think of life like a trampoline. The harder and faster you get shoved down...the faster you shoot back up! You can do this! :)

Mark Foster II

Building my HIGHWAY
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 12, 2014
Just went through your thread and wanted to say glad to see you back and keep up the grind bro!

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
If you swing the bat enough times, success is pretty much inevitable. Swing all day everyday.

Somewhere down the line, it'll hit you that "failure" is nothing more than a stepping stone towards the trophy bro.

p.s. Do you even lift? jk

Icecreamkid! thanks for your reply, love your posts my man, epic stuff. I agree, I think if I keep swinging enough, something should stick!

And also, believe it or not, I haven't lifted in over 4 months, got sidetracked with Sciatica which sucked! all because I thought I was 19 again! Leg day + deadlifts will do it to ya, I don't even want to say how much I was lifting, definitely should have went with less weight LOL.

Brave step! It sounds like you have something going on there, I hope you choose the right choices going through the road of your fastlane path. Fingers crossed for you!

I really appreciate your reply brother, not to sound sappy but getting so many positive replies from strangers really brings a tear to my eyes at times, really means alot to me during these times :D
Never heard that...I like it.

Yea man...lol...I mean...you look kinda sickly :confused:. Instead of @ManWithABeard you should be BeastWithaBeard ! Rock on brother.

I had a manager once tell me when I was in sales, that I could always use 'intimidation' to close a sale. lol..You know, like "What, there's not a problem right ? You WILL sign right ?"... I never did it.

I enjoyed reading your post big man. You will be successful. It's in your words...I see it. I think you should join the "INSIDERS". Life changing info and people there bro. You can also post a "Progress" thread so no one 'outside' can search and find it.

Keep pushing on !

LOL thanks man, maybe once I start gaining traction I can request to have a name change to BeastWithaBeard! that'd make my day really. as far as health, I have my days where I feel like superman and then days I feel like Mr. Glass. Crazy how the human body is. Unfortunately, I inherited my health conditions, so I have to just deal with it.

Oddly enough, at this most recent job, management kinda did the same to us, intimidating customers to sign for stuff they don't really need, experienced many sleepless nights thinking about all the people I probably screwed over to just make a sale and get my stats up, not a great feeling. I really appreciate the post and yeah I'm definitely going to join the INSIDERS, I know for a fact joining the INSIDERS will help me greatly.

Good for you. Honestly, when I read this "quitting your job" title I just thought it was some just someone over zealous about the idea of a fastlane business overnight. Tough decision I'm sure for you but I really hope you find peace and your own path. If I can help, let me know. I'm not an internet / ecommerce guru but I may be able to help in other areas.

Haha, I understand, I'm sure you and I both have seen plenty of folks who just quit their job thinking that the next day they're going to be instant start-up millionaires. Would be awesome no doubt, but luckily for us fastlaners, we know it's all about process and a bit of patience. It is a tough decision and I still definitely am conflicted on the decision of quitting, but I try not to focus on it and just try my best to move forward.

I appreciate the offer for help, if any of you guys want, just shoot me a pm to give advice and guidance, or better yet you can post in the thread for all to see, whichever you feel comfortable with.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
*update*

Just chatted with a Chinese manufacturer/supplier. Got the official price and ETA on when my stuff should arrive. Will be placing order this week before the weekend. Kind of excited and nervous. I'll only really have 2 or 3 products on my ecommerce store, but hope to grow that as I progress.

Once i get the products in, time to be sure each one is perfect.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
So I finally have some products officially en route. No lie, I literally went through like 4 companies to get what I wanted. One flaked out and the others the pricing was just too high and the response times were just too slow for my liking. I dealt with a very professional company who offered great pricing. Put my order in before the weekend and now it's on the way. Gotta wait like 7-14 days, no biggie as my store still isn't ready to be opened yet anyway.

Blog/Website is steady getting more traffic. little by little. love it. Bounce rate is currently at 71.74%, that's not good. Back to the drawing board.

Goals for march
Get atleast a handful of sales, going to be hard but it's okay, I'll get there
Start getting my brand name out there in the biz, start local then go from there.
Plan a giveaway to get my customer base engaged.

drilonnn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 2, 2014
You did a good thing by quitting the job. Now you have more time to work on your online business and i know that you will improve everything. I assure you that the time will come when you will be making more a month than you made a year on your offline job. You can send me your website/s on PM if you want and i'll give you some feedback/advice.

Good Luck Bro!

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Thanks for the reply guys!

@Mr. Tycoon ha ha funny you mentioned the words "who cares". Quick funny story, a group of my best buds from my old neighborhood had came up with the idea of making that term their motto a few years ago. Whenever I would complain about something (mostly job related) they would all yell in unison "WHO CARES!". I loved it because they always told me who cares man, just do what you're set out to do. So you're right, who cares! I'm going to be successful one day on my own accord! So it's just like Nike's "Just Do It" they say "Who cares!" I would be like "I want to start a business but I'm scared it's going to fail" and they'd say "Who Cares man! Just go for it!" LOL i love it.

Here's a quick update - I am now addicted to checking my google analytics and my google webmaster central accounts! Just seeing this baby grow each and every day is amazing!

Now I am tempted to switch gears a tiny bit. Because my website only has two products to offer, while many of my competitors are able to offer loads of different products, I took my webstore down and am now just going to probably sell through certain posts and such.

on top of that, I am now wondering, with growing traffic and subscribers, I feel I can one day corner the web market in that regard and in turn maybe start approaching relevant companies about advertising through my site? I mean quite a few actually follow my site and blog, so maybe there's an opportunity in that? Just trying to work with what I have since I obviously don't have the funding to provide a whole spectrum of products like my competitors. I mean the market is still somewhat new so I believe in time I can make that work as well. I'll probably start with start-up companies since they will most likely find the best value in it. But that will wait, I still need to get the traffic to where I want to be. We'll see. It's getting kind of fun :D.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.