The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I quit the job, here's my journey

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
I've been wanting to post a progress thread for a while but have been pretty nervous. The fastlane forum can be intimidating at times. But awesome people here nonetheless.

I feel foolish for quitting my job, my family and some friends have been chastising me about it, so of course that makes me think that maybe I am making a mistake, but oh well, what's done is done, can only move forward. I have money set aside for the basics: food and bills, so it's not like I quit with nothing in my bank.

So here's the deal, I have a website in a fairly new niche, the past six months, I have grown the traffic from nothing, I have a pretty good number of subscribers, many of them are other companies in the biz as well as a couple well-known authorities in the biz and community as well, which is damn awesome.

For the first time, I actually have identified a problem and have worked to find a solution to this problem. I now understand the most important aspect of business: the need. my past ventures, I did not solve any need, which is why they failed.

The problem lies in the existing product, which I personally rebuilt and tested. and have even had others, strangers, test it as well, with good feedback. I don't go to friends any more, most don't even know about this venture to be honest.

I engage heavily with my market, I am extremely active and I stay asking people in the market questions and finding out the pain point. I've even went to local B&M's in the business and talked with the staff and owners. I just walk in ask questions. I used to be scared of doing that but screw it, it's the only way I'll find out what the needs are.

This time, I will be going about things differently, I no longer want to just focus on making a profit, I want to focus on great customer service and being able to fix my prospective customers' problems in one shot. Customer satisfaction is what my goal is and it is what it'll always be going forward. quite a few businesses in this industry seem to not put much focus in this area.

Anyway here's what I've done so far:
-Started a site (about six months ago)
-Grew the traffic through unique content and engaging the market with content + giveaway contests
-Created a prototype of the product I am going to be selling
-Identified a couple of chinese manufacturers that I want to work with
-talked with a couple of local B&M's about possibly vending my products

Now here's the agenda for the weekend:
-E-mailing and scheduling a time to talk with a local business that sells accessories for my products
-posting more unique content
-setting up my ecommerce store and making sure it's the way I want it. I know how to code, so I will more likely be making the changes and improvements myself. fun, fun.

I'll be posting hopefully every few days or so detailing my journey. I look forward to having you join me :). happy valentine's day everyone.

P.S. I promise I won't be selling ghillie suits and camo blinds nor will I be authoring a book on how to be a successful millionaire through entrepreneurial means :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
on the correct path it seems... im curious as to what website you are running, pm me? no worries if you would rather not.

-pureA

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Hi PureA, I appreciate it, means alot. I may shoot you a PM later down the line. If I can make it to Business & Brewskies, I will be revealing it there and then. In the flesh :D

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
What did you leave behind job wise? Why did you quit before your business was up and making money? I have nothing against the choice...just interested in the background. Best of luck to you. Drown out that family and friend noise...crush the world, son!

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
@RBefort, thanks for the reply man. hope all is well
To answer your questions, the only thing I really left behind is security and a steady paycheck. To be transparent I reached my breaking point when I always had to explain why I kept leaving my desk, I have some health issues that do require me to leave for a while to get some air and relax. I had no problem getting medical proof as I even had to go to the ER one day due to the stress from the work environment. The lack of freedom finally got to me, I thought to myself that I'm going to lose my life being tied to the cubicle, that I'm going to die never experiencing the luxury of true freedom.

I really hope I make it, but if I don't, atleast I tried, as fastlaners, we all can atleast say that we all tried what most people only daydream about.

Oven

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 31, 2013
Sounds like you're on the right path, I think you're going to do well. Entrepreneurship is all about finding a problem that people want solved that you can solve and solving it, it seems like you're doing that. Good luck.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I really hope I make it, but if I don't, atleast I tried, as fastlaners, we all can atleast say that we all tried what most people only daydream about.

If you swing the bat enough times, success is pretty much inevitable. Swing all day everyday.

Somewhere down the line, it'll hit you that "failure" is nothing more than a stepping stone towards the trophy bro.

p.s. Do you even lift? jk

Danny G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 10, 2011
Bulgaria
Brave step! It sounds like you have something going on there, I hope you choose the right choices going through the road of your fastlane path. Fingers crossed for you!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
we just call it "offline"
Never heard that...I like it.

p.s. Do you even lift?
Yea man...lol...I mean...you look kinda sickly :confused:. Instead of @ManWithABeard you should be BeastWithaBeard ! Rock on brother.

I had a manager once tell me when I was in sales, that I could always use 'intimidation' to close a sale. lol..You know, like "What, there's not a problem right ? You WILL sign right ?"... I never did it.

I enjoyed reading your post big man. You will be successful. It's in your words...I see it. I think you should join the "INSIDERS". Life changing info and people there bro. You can also post a "Progress" thread so no one 'outside' can search and find it.

Keep pushing on !

Blueskies4me

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 9, 2014
Noblesville, Indiana
To be transparent I reached my breaking point when I always had to explain why I kept leaving my desk, I have some health issues that do require me to leave for a while to get some air and relax.

Good for you. Honestly, when I read this "quitting your job" title I just thought it was some just someone over zealous about the idea of a fastlane business overnight. Tough decision I'm sure for you but I really hope you find peace and your own path. If I can help, let me know. I'm not an internet / ecommerce guru but I may be able to help in other areas.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
If you swing the bat enough times, success is pretty much inevitable. Swing all day everyday.

Somewhere down the line, it'll hit you that "failure" is nothing more than a stepping stone towards the trophy bro.

p.s. Do you even lift? jk

Icecreamkid! thanks for your reply, love your posts my man, epic stuff. I agree, I think if I keep swinging enough, something should stick!

And also, believe it or not, I haven't lifted in over 4 months, got sidetracked with Sciatica which sucked! all because I thought I was 19 again! Leg day + deadlifts will do it to ya, I don't even want to say how much I was lifting, definitely should have went with less weight LOL.

Brave step! It sounds like you have something going on there, I hope you choose the right choices going through the road of your fastlane path. Fingers crossed for you!

I really appreciate your reply brother, not to sound sappy but getting so many positive replies from strangers really brings a tear to my eyes at times, really means alot to me during these times :D
Never heard that...I like it.

Yea man...lol...I mean...you look kinda sickly :confused:. Instead of @ManWithABeard you should be BeastWithaBeard ! Rock on brother.

I had a manager once tell me when I was in sales, that I could always use 'intimidation' to close a sale. lol..You know, like "What, there's not a problem right ? You WILL sign right ?"... I never did it.

I enjoyed reading your post big man. You will be successful. It's in your words...I see it. I think you should join the "INSIDERS". Life changing info and people there bro. You can also post a "Progress" thread so no one 'outside' can search and find it.

Keep pushing on !

LOL thanks man, maybe once I start gaining traction I can request to have a name change to BeastWithaBeard! that'd make my day really. as far as health, I have my days where I feel like superman and then days I feel like Mr. Glass. Crazy how the human body is. Unfortunately, I inherited my health conditions, so I have to just deal with it.

Oddly enough, at this most recent job, management kinda did the same to us, intimidating customers to sign for stuff they don't really need, experienced many sleepless nights thinking about all the people I probably screwed over to just make a sale and get my stats up, not a great feeling. I really appreciate the post and yeah I'm definitely going to join the INSIDERS, I know for a fact joining the INSIDERS will help me greatly.

Good for you. Honestly, when I read this "quitting your job" title I just thought it was some just someone over zealous about the idea of a fastlane business overnight. Tough decision I'm sure for you but I really hope you find peace and your own path. If I can help, let me know. I'm not an internet / ecommerce guru but I may be able to help in other areas.

Haha, I understand, I'm sure you and I both have seen plenty of folks who just quit their job thinking that the next day they're going to be instant start-up millionaires. Would be awesome no doubt, but luckily for us fastlaners, we know it's all about process and a bit of patience. It is a tough decision and I still definitely am conflicted on the decision of quitting, but I try not to focus on it and just try my best to move forward.

I appreciate the offer for help, if any of you guys want, just shoot me a pm to give advice and guidance, or better yet you can post in the thread for all to see, whichever you feel comfortable with.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
*Update*
So over the weekend, my girlfriend signed me up for a 5K, so of course I had to run it. It was for charity and that's sort of our thing, we usually volunteer and then run the 5K's. I am passionate about charities. It was a blast! of course I'm sore as hell, but i have no regrets, i love it.

One of the owners of the B&M I was going to meet and talk with's father had passed away the other day, so we agreed to hold off for a week or two to let him grieve, I wanted to remain respectful, business can wait in that respect. Very sorry for his loss.

Found a slight problem in my prototype, so I'm spending the night tonight troubleshooting and finding additional solutions to be sure that when I do hit the market, there are no problems whatsoever. Gotta attack all issues before it even becomes an issue so to speak.

About to drop by another local B&M or offline business (shout out to @100k, i love that term) to get some more info on the market. I've been to this one before, and have overheard some conversation between staff and a couple of customers about an issue, so I hope to speak with staff again to see specifically what the issue is and if they found a solution themselves.

Also, am making plans to make it to the Beer and Brewskies event or meeting that's happening in Atlanta. I am excited for it and really can't wait to meet some fellow fastlaners in the flesh. plus I love beer. win win for me ha ha.

PeteLife

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 5, 2011
BALTIMORE/DMV
Congrats on Quitting the 9-5!!! Keep us updated on your progress. You seem to be on the right path so Im sure you will make it!!!

p.s. Ive posted this before and Ill post it again... please tell me you did it like this . . . Like a Bo$$!!!

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Congrats on Quitting the 9-5!!! Keep us updated on your progress. You seem to be on the right path so Im sure you will make it!!!

p.s. Ive posted this before and Ill post it again... please tell me you did it like this . . . Like a Bo$$!!!

Thanks Brotha! I appreciate your reply.

I wish I could say that I did, but in reality it was really lackluster in comparison to the video. I just walked in, handed in my scan badge to my supervisor and wrote a letter on the spot on why I was leaving. I did get a lot of hugs from the ladies there, I guess they'll miss my jokes and wisecracking lol. One thing I do miss about the place is that when I would go in to work, they have these cool scanners that scans your eye before it lets you into the building, I felt like I was working for the CIA lol. Their gym there was very nice too, i'll definitely miss that too.

Off topic though, but over the weekend I saw THREE badass cars around town, a yellow Lamborghini Murcialago, A Silver Ferarri F430, and a custom painted silver/blue Nissan GTR. I'm like "that must be a sign!". probably not but a man can dream LOL. I only want an older Lamborghini Gallardo though, I love that car. the only Lambo I want.

Thanks for the post my man, please stay tuned!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I'm like "that must be a sign!". probably not
....don't be so sure.

You know...I think it's like when you buy something new like...let's say a car...suddenly you start noticing all the other cars on the road like, or similar to your new car. You're aware. Now...take this a step further...You have a changed mindset and are aware there are problems that need solved that will help people. Suddenly...you start seeing all kinds of 'problems' but with your new mindset those 'problems' are opportunities.

Go get 'em !

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
*update*

Just chatted with a Chinese manufacturer/supplier. Got the official price and ETA on when my stuff should arrive. Will be placing order this week before the weekend. Kind of excited and nervous. I'll only really have 2 or 3 products on my ecommerce store, but hope to grow that as I progress.

Once i get the products in, time to be sure each one is perfect.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Figured I'd swing on by with an *Update*.

So, I have my first potential buyer. Starting to get e-mails from people asking questions about my product. That's a start!

Just got another subscriber from a company I actually used to buy from last year! Feels great because they're a pretty major company in the biz in my region so that's just a huge compliment.

Wanted to share a little side story and some thoughts on what my goals and endgame is.

So a few months ago I dumped a partner from a previous business venture. I made him some good money online and put in a majority of the work. He makes really good money so he funded most of the stuff we did. Because he made good money (in the slowlane), it made him lazy and unmotivated. What made it worse is that he lied to me about a business deal that I thought was real. It was supposed to be on the West Coast. Learned that it never happened and it was all a lie. Made me depressed for like 2 months.

We met up again recently, I guess he wants me back on the team and I showed him a lil peak at my site and showed him what I'm up to. His facial expression was priceless, he knew he effed up and he missed the boat. So glad I walked away. Playing the #2 man was never a problem, but being the #2 who did all the work and waited and waited and waited for him to do his part, not so cool with that.

My end goal is honestly being a distributor, if I can get my products into other peoples' stores and shops, that'd be a dream. Having my own store would be cool to, but for some reason I've always wanted to be the supplier. Just don't know how to get to that point, but I will still push forward. I know I will figure it out, I just have to keep learning and more importantly doing.

Thanks guys for reading. Please stay tuned! I hope to not disappoint :D

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
So I finally have some products officially en route. No lie, I literally went through like 4 companies to get what I wanted. One flaked out and the others the pricing was just too high and the response times were just too slow for my liking. I dealt with a very professional company who offered great pricing. Put my order in before the weekend and now it's on the way. Gotta wait like 7-14 days, no biggie as my store still isn't ready to be opened yet anyway.

Blog/Website is steady getting more traffic. little by little. love it. Bounce rate is currently at 71.74%, that's not good. Back to the drawing board.

Goals for march
Get atleast a handful of sales, going to be hard but it's okay, I'll get there
Start getting my brand name out there in the biz, start local then go from there.
Plan a giveaway to get my customer base engaged.

Cruor Vult

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Feb 18, 2014
So I finally have some products officially en route. No lie, I literally went through like 4 companies to get what I wanted. One flaked out and the others the pricing was just too high and the response times were just too slow for my liking. I dealt with a very professional company who offered great pricing.

You are out there getting real business experience. Even if this project doesn't pan out (but I think it will, you have built up huge momentum now), you will have a flying start for the next one. Remember, you only have to be right once :)

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Thanks for the post guys! sorry for late reply, been super busy trying to ramp up for when I get my products in. Plus trying to plan this darn giveway is killing me at the moment.

Just hit he weights for the first time in weeks today. Felt damn good.

Trying to do as much as I can while I wait for the products, the wait is killin' me, I'm ready to get out there and sell!

drilonnn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 2, 2014
You did a good thing by quitting the job. Now you have more time to work on your online business and i know that you will improve everything. I assure you that the time will come when you will be making more a month than you made a year on your offline job. You can send me your website/s on PM if you want and i'll give you some feedback/advice.

Good Luck Bro!

Berserker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Feb 26, 2014
UK
Loved reading this thread, really inspiring. You've got some good momentum going! I'm in the process of trying to get my prototype made professionally. I haven't been drumming up industry interest as you have though, haven't really thought about anything apart from getting my prototype made! I'm sure the ideas will come as they need to though...

Good luck pal - Looking forward to seeing your progress :)

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
Loved reading this thread, really inspiring. You've got some good momentum going! I'm in the process of trying to get my prototype made professionally. I haven't been drumming up industry interest as you have though, haven't really thought about anything apart from getting my prototype made! I'm sure the ideas will come as they need to though...

Good luck pal - Looking forward to seeing your progress :)

Thanks man! really appreciate the kind words!

As far as creating a little "buzz", I just treat it like a game man, it's fun for me to try to reach people and get them to gravitate towards me. I initally used humor and memes that people only in the business/community understand and it worked out great. Folks love inside jokes!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.