The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I hit the 1st page of google......Should I be bracing for lots of visitors?

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
So, I used attracta SEO to get me up in rank on google search using their system they have set out, using press releases, keywords, ect.

I just got an email that told me I'm on the 1st page of google for best free advertising websites.

Now, I know the search is different for everyone, at one time it ONLY showed up on the first page for me, and didn't show up for anyone else. I asked about 10 people, and all of them said it was there.

My views are still only 60 - 100 a day. Will this make a massive impact, or is there more to views than that?

Thanks guys

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
First page is nice but there is big gap between #1,#2, #3 spots on first page vs. rest of that page. From what I've seen #1,#2,#3 have large majority of views, the rest get the crumbs in a rapidly declining curve. And after the first page, percentage-wise it's in the low single digits for ALL those sad people in the long tail, combined! Unable to determine what you mean by massive impact, since its unknown what the global/local keyword search volume is in total. In summary: if they got you to #1,2,or MAYBE 3 on first page, that's decent. If not, it's a wash. Or it might just take a while, who knows?

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Ah, I figured!

And another question.

Why don't more people use SEO? It almost seems too good to be true. Pay a small sum of money, get high in google. Is it legitimate or am I missing something?

kraze

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Aug 1, 2011
Ah, I figured!

And another question.

Why don't more people use SEO? It almost seems too good to be true. Pay a small sum of money, get high in google. Is it legitimate or am I missing something?

It is legitimate until Matt and his friends decide to release another animal from the zoo

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
It is legitimate until Matt and his friends decide to release another animal from the zoo

What the hell are you talking about?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Are you TizeMe? Is that your project? I recognize the name from the forum.

If it is, congrats!

Also, the 'animal' in question is the updates that roll out every other day now.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Thanks man! But it still is sitting at 60-100 views a day, and that makes it seems so incredibly low for using a search term that I bet a ton of people use.

And sorry, I still don't understand what the animal thing is :confused:

D

DeletedUser11

And sorry, I still don't understand what the animal thing is

When google updates their algorithm they name it after an animal ie panda.

Any update can completely change your ranking. You could go from no1 to no72 and all your traffic vanishes in a second with all your revenue.

Don't rely solely on google for traffic

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Dont waste your money on SEO. Make sure you are offering quality content. Google hates SEO. Its likely that a new update will make any SEO you pay for worthless.

IMO, even if you get to #1, most keywords would not generate you enough ad revenue to make all the work/time worth it. Ive been down this road and its been just a waste to me personally. Im no expert tho.

Offer something of quality thats needed by a group of people. Pay for traffic. Much more worth your money than paying for SEO services.

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Dont waste your money on SEO. Make sure you are offering quality content. Google hates SEO. Its likely that a new update will make any SEO you pay for worthless.

IMO, even if you get to #1, most keywords would not generate you enough ad revenue to make all the work/time worth it. Ive been down this road and its been just a waste to me personally. Im no expert tho.

Offer something of quality thats needed by a group of people. Pay for traffic. Much more worth your money than paying for SEO services.

Agreed. If you have something quality, the traffic that you pay for will convert. Then you know you are providing VALUE.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I thought paying for traffic was a big "No-No"? Lol, but where would I go about doing this?

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
I thought paying for traffic was a big "No-No"? Lol, but where would I go about doing this?

I used to think that way. One thing I noticed... I followed a couple big blog guys that teach that method of SEO. Put up a quick site, SEO, rank high on google, profit.

But then you notice that a vast majority of their income is from being a affiliate for various things and promoting them on their blog.

A certain one of them even puts out his monthly income/expense report to make this clear as day.

Basically he is a affiliate marketer. He simply created a blog selling this common niche SEO idea that he learned from Warrior Forum as a vehicle to market things in his teachings. He has quite the business going for himself. But that isnt gonna help you. Most of his income is not coming from what he teaches.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Paying means paying for traffic via Google/Bing PPC, not necessarily buying links (although buying links in a smart way can help your rankings).

For those that say ignore SEO...I have to roll my eyes. Having a well optimized site can mean the difference of ranking ahead of your competition. Don't ignore it.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Here I thought being on the front page was like the dream, the goldmine for internet traffic. I mean, google is enormous, and the search terms I used were picked because of how popular they were. If I got to the #1 spot, what's the stop people from clicking that and flooding it?

My problem is that, it's the traffic that will fuel people. Say I had a small program that says "Hey, you pay us a few bucks a month, we put you on the front page with a few other ads, and you get a bunch of publicity! Don't believe it will work? Take a look at our traffic!", but the traffic is not there, which tarnishes the idea.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
Ah, I figured!

And another question.

Many do, but not always in a sustainable way.

Also, that term gets 400 local hits I think, so you're looking at lower competition possibly.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Really, dude? You think you're going to get a ton of traffic from a keyword that has so few searches, by just being on the first page? Sorry, got to call you out on this one. Why are you going after this KW?

Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 9.09.51 PM.jpg

D

DeletedUser11

depends on what you rank 1 for.

if you rank 1 for "how to lose weight" or "make money online" (extremely competitive)

You will rake in millions of visitors monthly.

Ranking for long tail keywords isnt that hard (low competition)

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Really, dude? You think you're going to get a ton of traffic from a keyword that has so few searches, by just being on the first page? Sorry, got to call you out on this one. Why are you going after this KW?

View attachment 4516

There is nothing really to call out... ignorance is bliss I guess.

There was no way in hell I would have ever thought, that, that phrase would have been searched so low!!!

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Thanks man! But it still is sitting at 60-100 views a day, and that makes it seems so incredibly low for using a search term that I bet a ton of people use.

Yeah Tommy as others have pointed out here, just getting on first page (or even #1 on first page), is nice, but doesn't necessarily matter by itself. The real problem is this incomplete thinking: "I bet this is a search term a ton of people use." Betting is OK starting point but why stop at betting if you could just look it up and verify your hunch?

I also just checked Google Keyword Tool for your terms, and even the looser Broad match is really low volume, and the more restrictive (more reliable) Exact match is even smaller.

kw-broad.jpg

and

kw-exact.jpg

Wouldn't be too hard on you, because if you're unaware of how to look it up instead of betting, or even that that's possible, then you can't really be blamed for that kind of ignorance. And I guess some SEO companies wouldn't point out: "Hey, no one is searching for these terms, are you sure you want to spend money on this?" On the other hand, if people do know how to do basic research and just plow ahead anyway, well they deserve to fail and have their wealth transferred to the sharks out there, ha ha.

Hey at least you answered your own question: ("Is it too good to be true... pay a small sum and get high in Google? Why doesn't everyone just do this?") I hope it didn't cost you too much to learn this lesson, but take it as a useful lesson that you maybe wouldn't have absorbed if it was just given to you as a "tip".

OXVO

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jan 5, 2013
CT, USA
I've never searched the term "best free advertising" ever.

So with that said ... I can see why the numbers have been so low.

I don't really think many people search that term just my blind hunch.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I hit the 1st page of google......Should I be bracing for lots of visitors?

No.

The fastlane forum is #1 on Google for the following search:

"I hit the 1st page of google......Should I be bracing for a lot of visitors"

If no one is searching for the phrase it doesn't matter.

In other words, the forum's #1 ranking for the above phrase is great, but it doesn't mean jack-shit in terms of traffic.

Instead of focusing the keyword "the best free advertising" why don't you focus on actually doing it. Everything else will take care of itself by virtue of the quality product you built and created.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
The fastlane forum is #1 on Google for the following search:

"I hit the 1st page of google......Should I be bracing for a lot of visitors"

If no one is searching for the phrase it doesn't matter.

In other words, the forum's #1 ranking for the above phrase is great, but it doesn't mean jack-shit in terms of traffic.

Instead of focusing the keyword "the best free advertising" why don't you focus on actually doing it. Everything else will take care of itself by virtue of the quality product you built and created.

MJ, I know if I were face to face with you, you'd sucker punch me, so I ask this with complete ignorance.

Actually do what?

Sorry, this has been like thinking I'm getting over some huge mountain in terms of expectations, and now once I'm there...nothing, hhaha. I won't be quitting though, but now I just need to figure out what people want to get it out there.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Actually do what?

I don't know exactly what he means, but I think he is saying "actually provide the best free advertising". Because that would be, you know, the best free advertising EVER ;)

A tool that I like to use for some clients I dabble in SEO for is the Google Webmaster tools - it will show you the average spot your website shows up in search for different terms. (It's also great for printing reports, which people love to see... lol).

Good luck - don't give up. But make sure that you aren't disappointing people when they actually do get to your site.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 24, 2013
Las Vegas
what I have found, is that when you are new, you should get really familiar with Google's Keyword Research Tool.

It's such a powerful weapon to have in your arsenal.

For me, I blog daily and focus on long-tail keywords so I can easily rank on page one of Google for a bunch of stuff.

It's know as low-hanging fruit. The easiest traffic to grab quickly.

If you put out a bunch of quality content with long-tail keywords, your traffic will steadily increase.

D

DeletedUser2

paying for traffic is great.

the guys saying a big NO NO are guys selling something to you so you will buy their SEO stuff on how to get free traffic.
ugh.

SEO is a necessary evil in my eyes. but after having a ton of sites ranking, then a google panda, or google penguin (hence the animals from the zoo reference ) comes along, and changes HOW google determines who should be on top.

I dont like playing the Google popularity contest

I diss on SEO so much because its so unreliable.

lottery ticket money comes in one day, and your thinking your a baller,
BOOM

GOOGLE ZOO break. your broke. I dont like my money being at the whim of google.

SO.

I buy traffic. or I pay affiliates to get me traffic.

If I want 100 sales (yes SALES not visitors) per day. I pay for it.

If I want 500 sales, or even 1000 sales a day. I can pay for it.

Then its just math.

Spend 5K to build a funnel,
2K to optimize it, so its profitable.

then our math looks like. we put a dollar int... 1$ and get...

1 - .95 on day 15
1 - 1.25 on day 45
1 - 1.38 on day75
1 - 1.65 on day 180

pretty good math.

so if you counted up all the hours to learn this. your about 6 months in to get it. and you probably need a min of about 5-10K to get it to work.

Laverdue created a post (1 year later) I think, that spells out a bit of how he did this from a different angle, but only starting with as little as a couple hundred bucks.

SO, you think SEO is cheap?
ya, 100 visits a day = how many conversions into sale?

Probably not the best use of your time or money.
but now you dont have to be ignorant anymore.

Lost that excuse too.

Z

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Also consider: Google thinks paying for traffic is great too. It's entirely in their interest to encourage people to rely more on Adwords instead of SEO which doesn't make them a cent.

So, what would make Adwords more reliable, relative to SEO? Probably: whatever would make SEO less reliable (less transparent, more prone to disruption), relative to Adwords. It'd follow then that a strategy based on Adwords is more reliable than a strategy based on SEO, and this would remain consistent over time, because it will always be in Google's interest to encourage paid traffic. I guess whoever owns the playground makes up the rules. Wheeeee!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Actually do what?

Did you not have a plan for traffic and sales when you started? Do you have a product/service that "WOW"s people and makes them want to share it?

I don't know your business and what it does ... "do what" refers to building something with a cant-lose value proposition -- one that inherently will build itself.

Most of the forum's traffic comes from SEO, natural search results. Do you know how much TIME and MONEY I spent on SEO? Nada. Zero.

What makes my SEO plan effective is a product worth ranking -- my focus is on a good product because a good product will take care of everything else.

Sadly, most websites I look at are not founded on a solid need/value prop. Here's my non-guru admission: I wouldn't know how to market or sell such websites due to the fact that the aforementioned is lacking. IOW, I can't sell a product I wouldn't believe in, or use myself.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Yup, good content that is useful to individual humans (what a concept) trumps all, because underneath it all Google's PPC income is dependent on their dominant position, which is dependent on their ability to consistently serve up non-garbage search results, therefore they will always have most incentive to promote good content.

It's interesting, the concept of WIIFM Whats In It For Me is familiar to marketers as a useful way of focusing on the customer's wants and needs... but WIIFM can also be applied to the platform that is used to reach those customers.

Question: regardless of how you all feel about artificial SEO (as opposed to SEO that is based on useful content), what do you folks think about some of the tools used to research keywords... I use MicroNicheFinder, but have been looking at Market Samurai. Not looking for reviews of those products, but rather: do you think those are just examples of going down the SEO rabbit hole, or do you think they are still useful for researching underserved niches? I have a weakness for neato wizard-based solutions so I am wondering if I'm fooling myself about using those kinds of tools to do market research.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Question: regardless of how you all feel about artificial SEO (as opposed to SEO that is based on useful content), what do you folks think about some of the tools used to research keywords... I use MicroNicheFinder, but have been looking at Market Samurai. Not looking for reviews of those products, but rather: do you think those are just examples of going down the SEO rabbit hole, or do you think they are still useful for researching underserved niches? I have a weakness for neato wizard-based solutions so I am wondering if I'm fooling myself about using those kinds of tools to do market research.

I just looked these two sites up really quickly, and I wouldn't classify those as "market research".

Market research is reaching out to your CUSTOMERS or at least researching them, not some internet marketing gurus who just want to sell you their "keyword analysis tools".

Do you know the answer to these questions?

1. Who is most likely to buy your product? vs. Who do you think is most likely to buy your product? (or, if yours is just content, who is your audience?)

2. Why would someone buy your product?

3. What makes you different than your competitors? (Hint: The answer to this question is NOT "I don't have competitors")

4. How many potential customers have you talked to personally about your service? What are they specifically looking for? What's most important to them?

5. Are you answering your own need by providing this service, or a need that you've specifically spotted?

Keyword analysis can be useful as a supplement to real market research, but a lot of times people can just get stuck in the "action faking" where they get stuck in research and analysis that doesn't actually help drive sales (which is what we all want, right?).

Hope that helps :)

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Yes, that's a good distinction to make clear, these tools are not a substitute for market research, just like Google Keyword Tool isn't either. A lot of those qualitative factors like the Who What Why can't be addressed at all by these kinds of tools, of course.

Still, even though these tools cannot answer the important question What Makes Me Better Than My Competitors, I think it is useful to get a fairly reliable picture of the strength of existing competitors in the market, which these kinds of tools can do pretty easily.

My personal weakness is definitely #4, which is why is suspected that I may be interested in these kinds of tools mainly to avoid interacting with humans.

As far as #5 this is tricky because I don't have any needs, except the need to find a niche where I can provide value in some form. Perhaps I should create a tool that will help me fulfill that need... hmmm... maybe I will create a keyword analysis tool!!! Thats the ticket! :rofl:

PS. I agree there's an icky sense that is gotten from checking out the sites that promote these tools, they give off a terrible stench of click-here-make-money-fast, but it seems to work for them. :cool: And sometimes the product behind that stench is actually pretty decent.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.