The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to stop teens from texting while driving

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
a) voice reading/responding to texts - make it a phone call
b) bluetooth to teens device mounted in car and connected to car computer, if in drive, disable messaging, since it is bluetoothed, all the passengers can use their device, if the car is put into gear without a bluetooth connection, SMS is sent to parent
c) raise the driving age to 25

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
I'm in two minds about what type of solution is needed. On one hand, I think that we need greater education and stronger penalties, especially for repeat offenders (more in line with drink driving penalties). On the other hand, I think that as technology is more tightly integrated into vehicles that many of the distracting aspects (e.g., trying to touch that little button while focusing on the road) will go away, making interacting with technology less distracting. But this is a long way off as these more tightly integrated solutions will (presumably) only be available in new cars.

While I know that there are many companies who'd be looking for solutions in this area, I think with the right implementation, there could be lots of money to be made in this space - even if it is only for a short period before other tech solutions catch up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Am i understanding this right?: The driver needs to have an the app on his phone for this to work?
If so, no teens will download this
Yes but if an insurance company made it compulsory was going to save them $000's of dollars per year im pretty sure they would consider it.

Over here in the UK insurance company's offer a black-box tracker to be installed on cars for to lower their premiums which has certain standards which the customer must meet for instance fines/penalty's if the driver is speeding, Some I've even heard don't allow a driver under 21 to drive between 11pm-5am lol its ludicrous but some sign up for it.

Last edited:

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Let me guess @Mamadoo ... Were you a rebellious teen? ;)

I get where you are coming from, but as a parent, it's pretty simple to make sure the app is installed. If not, my kids wouldn't be able to use the car. I've no doubt that they would install the app and would understand that there are very real consequences if I was to receive a text advising that they were texting while travelling at high speeds.

Keep in mind that there is one part of this proposed system would be physically installed in the car, so if the app wasn't installed the SMSs would still be sent.

Do you have any ideas on how we could stop people from texting while driving? Is there a way to get through to the teen demographic the importance of focusing while driving?

Also, this isn't just a problem with teens, I see plenty of older people fiddling with their phones while driving and it really pisses me off as they don't seem to understand what a treasonous choice they are making and how easily it could lead to a whole world of pain.

D

DeletedUser12

Why the need for a car jack? It's pretty easy for a phone to determine if you're in a vehicle or not by your speed / location. I think a simple app that blocks texting with an override button would be more effective. If the teen overrides it, they must choose a reason (on bus, not driver etc.) and the parents always get a text for overrides.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
I don't consider texting while driving a problem, it's more or less a choice. I mean I don't text and drive cause I choose not to.
I think they need to make texting more integrated into the car, like voice over but for texting. You can argue that you already do that with Siri, but it could be a lot better IMO. But that's my two cents :D

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
The idea need to be innovative and not restrictive. We are heading towards technological freedom where it provides us the ability to do what we want to do without butting into others spaces.
The NSA operative who's reading this comment has been given a lot to think about.

Once the car motion technology improves and auto pilots are introduced then I don't think we would worry too much about these things. That will enable more time for us to spend time on facebook, Twitter and social media. :)
True. In the near future, I think humans driving will be outlawed.

Anyways, here's my proposed device:

It's synced to the car's computer, and once it senses the engine at work and the car in motion, it activates a disruptor that jams all cellular connection within the car.
I'm not going to create this, so anyone who wants to, feel free to take this idea.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Why not try to take "texting" completely out of the equation. Instead of trying to figure out how to stop kids from texting, find something to replace it that's safer. Off the top of my head maybe something that projects the text onto the windshield? They're still distracted and reading instead of focusing on the road, but at least they are looking at the windshield instead of staring down.
Maybe some sort of voice texting? Not just a simple voice to text but something new that would really make teens (or people in general) want to use that method vs traditional texting.

This is definitely a major problem that someone will be able to fix, but imo you should look for a solution by moving forward with technology, instead of trying to move backwards by limiting it.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Yes, that's right, however, through the discussion here and by considering others responses, I realized that even if one could solve the problem of people being distracted by texting while driving, that it wouldn't necessarily solve the greater problem of people beiny distracted by their phones while driving. Make sense?

I do agree that you can't fix certain kinds of stupid. And I have zero clue as to what's technologically possible. I couldn't handle that challenge. But if I could, I would be trying to sell product/Awesome technology to Law enforcement. Tracking an active phone rite in front of them or beside them. They'll want it. I will hate this if it applies to my phone on speakerphone.

Change

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Mar 15, 2015
Want a way to kill it?

FORGET SAMSUNG.

CREATE a basic-working******* model. TEST IT! MAKE SURE IT WORKS!
CONTRACT YOURSELF/THE PROGRAM with Apple/phone service providers..maybe look into government legislation and have something created- work on "offering things THEY (the gov) need*"

Such as a guaranteed way to stop texting/driving...your app is that* way.

Okay, so people text and drive, and so what some of them die?! Work on that scare, and CREATE THE NEED for what you have in store.

Plenty of ways to take this- I think contracting with the big fish is the way to really go. The cell phone service providers* are the guys you want to work a deal with.

"Join Sprint Today! We have a GUARANTEED WAY to save your childs life!" (quick marketing type of jargon you/they can use... use your imagination- and really, the only limit is your ability to talk to people that matter*

Have fun!

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
Want a way to kill it?

FORGET SAMSUNG.

CREATE a basic-working******* model. TEST IT! MAKE SURE IT WORKS!
CONTRACT YOURSELF/THE PROGRAM with Apple/phone service providers..maybe look into government legislation and have something created- work on "offering things THEY (the gov) need*"

Such as a guaranteed way to stop texting/driving...your app is that* way.

Okay, so people text and drive, and so what some of them die?! Work on that scare, and CREATE THE NEED for what you have in store.

Plenty of ways to take this- I think contracting with the big fish is the way to really go. The cell phone service providers* are the guys you want to work a deal with.

You're the man! I'll report back here once I start making more progress.
It's a major problem, with major potential for us to step in and try to make an impact.

JAMES-L67

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 24, 2014
Didn't read the whole thread, but my idea:

Ban automatic transmissions :p that'll help!

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
This isn't my idea, but one from Scott Adams: How to stop teens from texting while driving.

I'm posting it here as I think the way he has combined technology and psychology to find a solution to a HUGE problem is admirable. I also think that this idea has a lot of merit and could be a very satisfying and profitable venture for the right person.

What do you think? Could this work? Or do you have any other ideas on how this problem could be solved?

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Another idea is similar to what has been mentioned with the Jack but only having a positioned mount with the phone in it somewhere within eye range of the driver. Samsung has already came up with the locking of your phone whilst not looking at it.

How about goes the same when driving the car. It can tell when the driver is in motion by reading eye signals/body manovers & GPS so that it cannot function to text or scroll only voice activate with pre recorded things for instance phone mum, phone dad, phone work so that they can still use it for use.

That was Just a quick idea.

Offtopic.
I was thinking about this the other day was just driving from my house to the retail park about 10 minutes away and passed a crazy amount of people on their phones.

In the UK if caught on the cell phone whilst behind the wheel of a car (with the engine running - even sitting stationary which is idiotic if you ask me) you get 3 points on your license and £100 fine.

I think if a person is caught twice they should be on a suspended term either if caught within 2 years of the last they get 6 points or a £500 fine or a temporary ban on their license for 3-6 months like they do in Germany.

Just I know its ridiculous suggesting this but the whole selfies whilst driving and recording videos its getting beyond a joke. Because a idiot celebrity does it does not make it acceptable.

ThexArm

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Sep 27, 2014
The idea need to be innovative and not restrictive. We are heading towards technological freedom where it provides us the ability to do what we want to do without butting into others spaces.

Once the car motion technology improves and auto pilots are introduced then I don't think we would worry too much about these things. That will enable more time for us to spend time on facebook, Twitter and social media. :)

Mamadoo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 12, 2014
Toronto
Am i understanding this right?: The driver needs to have an the app on his phone for this to work?
If so, no teens will download this
And #2: Do you think any of the teens will care if they get a text sent to their parents? Remember the demographic here.. TEENS. lol

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Let me guess @Mamadoo ... Were you a rebellious teen? ;)

Also, this isn't just a problem with teens, I see plenty of older people fiddling with their phones while driving and it really pisses me off as they don't seem to understand what a treasonous choice they are making and how easily it could lead to a whole world of pain.

Lorry/Truck drivers imagine one of them hitting you or someone due to being on a phone causing a lack of concentration?
Now that is a scary thought

Mamadoo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 12, 2014
Toronto
I honestly see no solution. Teens will always just do what they want or find away around it. There MUST be a way, but no ones thought of it quite yet.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
I don't consider texting while driving a problem, it's more or less a choice.

Do you consider drink driving a problem? In my opinion they are similar choices - incredibly selfish ones that have the potential to negatively impact others not involved in the original decision.

My car nearly got hit a while back by an idiot who was paying more attention to his phone than the road and strangely enough, he hadn't asked me or my kids if that was a choice that we wanted to make.

It's synced to the car's computer, and once it senses the engine at work and the car in motion, it activates a disruptor that jams all cellular connection within the car.

This would work, however, as it targets everyone in the car rather than just the driver it is overly prohibitive in my opinion. This is what I liked about the solution linked to in the original post - the way that it combines technology with psychology to find a solution that encourages the right behaviors.

Your suggestion reminded me of something I saw a while back - a lock box in the glove compartment that blocks cell signals for any phones put inside of it.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
This is definitely a major problem that someone will be able to fix, but imo you should look for a solution by moving forward with technology, instead of trying to move backwards by limiting it.

Very good point @jkkkjkhk - I guess the trick is to find an aftermarket solution that will work in most cars, rather than having to wait for car manufacturers to add these kind of solutions.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Very good point @jkkkjkhk - I guess the trick is to find an aftermarket solution that will work in most cars, rather than having to wait for car manufacturers to add these kind of solutions.
Yes, I would think it'd be far easier and cheaper to make something aftermarket that people can put in their car or on their phone, and if you can get enough traction and the product is a hit then having it preinstalled would become an option.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
I think it Needs to be hands free texting. Voice recognition that actually works.

Yes, this would help. Although it doesn't really address the underlying problem: people are idiots.

Even if they can text hands free, they'll just be distracted trying to instragram their facebook likes on pinteresting hash tags or whatever the cool kids do these days.

I think @Ninjakid's got the right idea. Just outlaw human driving. Although, this does scare me:

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
You Kind of lost me. I thought this was a product idea?

Yes, that's right, however, through the discussion here and by considering others responses, I realized that even if one could solve the problem of people being distracted by texting while driving, that it wouldn't necessarily solve the greater problem of people being distracted by their phones while driving. Make sense?

That doesn't mean the ideas shared here aren't worth considering if one was looking at creating a product like this, I'm just highlighting that there is a greater problem that could be addressed, perhaps through automated vehicles or another solution.

Do you have any ideas on how to address the problem of people being distracted by their phones while driving?

Last edited:

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Wow, that's awesome. I'm really impressed by what Samsung has done here.

Zachariah Lange

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Feb 7, 2015
Southeast Wisconsin, US
This isn't my idea, but one from Scott Adams: How to stop teens from texting while driving.

I'm posting it here as I think the way he has combined technology and psychology to find a solution to a HUGE problem is admirable. I also think that this idea has a lot of merit and could be a very satisfying and profitable venture for the right person.

What do you think? Could this work? Or do you have any other ideas on how this problem could be solved?

Some car companies have taken steps to mitigate similar problems. Ford and Lincoln have a system called "MyKey". It can not stop drivers from texting, but it can turn the radio off until seat belts are buckled, send phone calls to voicemail, set volume limits for the radio, and even speed limits. The new OS for Ford/Lincoln should be phased in starting next year and looks like it may offer functionality to compliment solutions like the one you mentioned.

Personally, I am waiting for the day car companies make cars into the new mobile device. User made apps for vehicles could offer a huge market to a smart investor.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.