The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to quit your job?

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Morning fastlaners,

So my girlfriend decided to quit her slowlane job today.

She was tired of the way they treated her, working minimum wage and doing stupid hours.

Just got me thinking, how did you quit your job? Did you just ring up and say 'I'm not coming back in'

I'm expecting some funny responses here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Gave manager 30 day's notice. Said I want to try something else. That wasn't the reason I quit.

Slipped out the back at the end of my last shift, hate saying goodbye to people I like.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Ah, she left on bad terms, only one job where I've actually given notice. Had some rough employers in the past.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
There's an important mindset lesson there. I remember reading a post by Vig not too long ago about making time for your INSIDERS call, this was when I was still working IIRC.

It said something along the lines of 'your job doesn't own you.' I think a lot of people have a hard time breaking that barrier.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Totally agree with that point. Think most people are scared to try make a change and think that if they leave a job, their life is over.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Both jobs I have had, I simply never came back.

I know its the wrong way to do it but I wasnt looking for a resume building referral.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Never had a real job, but had to do civilian service. Contract ended, got testimonial, left the building. FREEDOM

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Jul 24, 2007
After working on a job at HP that at minimum required that you have an engineering degree from a prestigious school, "Hey, I'm giving my notice and... I don't even have a high school diploma...".

D

DeletedUser394

Normally 2 weeks notice every time.

Although once, I had a snow removal gig that was supposed to last the entire winter... I lasted 3 days.

On the third day we had a big snowfall, so I was at there from 5:30am to well after dark. I was exhausted, and out of food and water. So when the guys weren't looking I literally grabbed what I could of my stuff (left some gloves behind), and made a run for it through various housing complexes until I found a bus stop.

I had no idea where the bus was headed but I got on anyway (because I had no idea where in the city I was). It was a dick move on my part, but actually pretty cool. Felt like I was in some kind of spy/fugitive movie.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
478%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Always leave on good terms and in a GREAT mood. That will do 3 things for you:

1. Instill in the other employees that YOU are a stand up guy. (you may hire them one day)
2. No matter how menial a job you had...one day you will need to use that connection. (I haven't had a JOB for 14 years yet I still use my background to sell stuff)
3. The fun one. If you leave on good terms it will piss off Hater bosses...and they can't say or do anything about it :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

leonbenj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Apr 11, 2013
Montreal, Can
Job 1:
  • I quit saying that I was homesick
  • Gave in 2 weeks written notice after 1 week vacation
  • (3 hours flight from home)
  • Left on good terms even though I liked what I did.
Latest Job:
  • I wanted to ask for a raise
  • then ask for transition to part-time from full-time
  • but in the end, I got fired for shortage of work
  • and because they didn't like my progress within the research & development department
  • lol
Perfect opportunity to launch my startup, and i did haha

D

DeletedUser394

Normally 2 weeks notice every time.

Although once, I had a snow removal gig that was supposed to last the entire winter... I lasted 3 days.

On the third day we had a big snowfall, so I was at there from 5:30am to well after dark. I was exhausted, and out of food and water. So when the guys weren't looking I literally grabbed what I could of my stuff (left some gloves behind), and made a run for it through various housing complexes until I found a bus stop.

I had no idea where the bus was headed but I got on anyway (because I had no idea where in the city I was). It was a dick move on my part, but actually pretty cool. Felt like I was in some kind of spy/fugitive movie.

Fun fact: Three or four years later (present day) I was selling a large portion of silver bullion. First guy to send me an email? My old boss from this job where I ran away.

In his initial email he was excited and pumped up, ready to pay right away. Then he realized who I was. Never heard from him again hahaha.

In a city of 1.1 million and the first dude to contact me is that guy, I couldn't believe it.

vinisterz

ArviN
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
May 27, 2014
I told my boss I would like to quit because this is not working out for me and I'm going to be starting my own businesses.

he recommended a different position, which I declined. he ended up giving me good references and said if things change to come and look for him.

I still think its a good idea to quit on good terms. you never know you might come across them again, they might become your customers or employees :)

RSN

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 5, 2014
Gave manager 30 day's notice. Said I want to try something else. That wasn't the reason I quit.
Slipped out the back at the end of my last shift, hate saying goodbye to people I like.

I did the same thing, just yesterday :) except that I also say I will be relocating in July!

Although once, I had a snow removal gig that was supposed to last the entire winter...

I've done that too for an entire winter! But I enjoyed though! Because it was a big crew of about 10 guys and everybody just semmed to be having a good time and just playing in the snow with machines, laughing and telling bad jokes lol. But it wasn't too cold, maybe 30 degrees and no wind.

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
Gave my coworkers a heads up (we were a small company and I was one of only 3 employees), then talked to HR the day after and gave her 2 weeks notice. Told my boss I was going to try the entrepreneurial side of things, and he offered to help me with anything since he's a successful entrepreneur himself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.