The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do YOU stay productive daily?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Molattee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 9, 2013
Indonesia - Jakarta
Greetings everyone!

We all have faced that horrible period of time where it is hard to accomplish anything or get anything done. Sure there are days that some of us stay unproductive in order to relax or unwind but on business days where it is crucial, especially when striving towards the fastlane, how do YOU stay productive daily, weekly, or even monthly?

Is there a daily routine that you force yourself to adapt to? Do you make a to-do-list before the day (this is what I usually do)?

I ask this because I wanted to break out of this unproductive period that I've been facing as of late (months). Most of my days are filled unproductiveness and this doesn't cope well with my 'mind' and my 'character'; as I'm a person who likes each and every day to mean something so I don't feel like wasting it.

Looking forward to the potential advice and productive ways of you guys!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
I usually keep a notepad handy or use my cell to write down any notes of tasks I need to get done. I usually am not THAT productive, meaning I know I could work faster and better but I do not know how to focus that much, but the times that I do, its usually listening to some kind of music. Just experimenting to find what works best..

I feel like what gets me motivated is the thought that the faster I get quality work done, the faster I am going to be quitting my job and working for myself 100%. Its really pushing me :)

Allen

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jul 26, 2013
I agree about the task lists and goals. Even though I have fully embraced technology and use my iPhone, iPad and laptop, I still use my daily planner religiously. I simply like the idea of writing things down including goals, tasks and random notes and/or ideas. There is something about pen to paper that stimulates the creative process for me.

My planner also doubles as my "Fastlane Success Journal" as I have a tabbed section just for my Fastlane ideas, notes, etc.

However, what I'm finding is that I sometimes fall into a "task list" vs. an "action list" which are process steps towards my goals. Be careful not to fill you day with just tasks. I personally try to focus on three things each day that will move me forward towards my goals. I know that doesn't sound like much, however I read most people tend to over schedule their day causing a sense of non-accomplishment even though they got a lot done. The question I ask is what got done?! Did these actions move me closer to my goal? If yes, great! If not, I need to reprioritize.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I find keeping a set schedule definitely helps.

For a while, I had no schedule because I could do as I pleased. Now I have 2 jobs, and am finishing school. This forces me to use my time wisely. Where I'm at right now, I don't have internet, so my work hours are before and after work. I perform best when I get up at the crack of dawn, so I'm usually up and out by 4 am if I can help it.

In addition to that, the Fastlane Forum has definitely helped.
I also carry a notebook that I update with goals.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Two jobs and school may be the reason you're having trouble. How much time does that take up per week? You also need to factor in how much those things drain you.

I do have a job that eats up well over 50 hours a week, so I feel your pain. But one of my fastlane goals is to make enough money writing so I can quit in a year, so there's my motivation.

nausbot

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 7, 2013
London, Canada
write everything down. fear falling into a slowlane trap. desperately want to get out of here. borderline hate myself for wasting time.

if you're feeling unproductive, is there something else you could be doing instead? learning languages, writing html code, build a boat? Ideas happen when you're least likely to expect it.

Hope this helps!

F430

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 8, 2013
Amsterdam
1. I write down a to-do list with THREE tasks for the upcoming day (so last night I wrote down 3 tasks for today)
2. I work on finishing each task first
3. I get up at 5am every day
4. I workout everyday (to clear my mind)
5. I listen to kick-a$$ music
6. I read/watch inspiring clips and books
7. I play like 10-15min of guitar every hour or so

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
1. I usually have a task pool for at least 2+weeks and each night sometime before going to bed, I prepare next day's tasks. Usually I put a little more than I can take, and I am happy if I do like 80%. Also, sometimes I prepare the breakfast at night so that I can start at the morning as soon as possible (I find the morning hours to be very productive)
2. Working hours during summer start at 09-10 and every one day I stop from 14.30 to 17.00 (eat + sleep + mind rest) and then I start again mostly until 00.00 - 01.00 or otherwise work from 10.00-20.00 maybe
3. Every Sunday afternoon I prepare the week's stuff and do maybe 1-2 tasks so that I am a little more cool on Monday
4. Working out every 3 days
5. No Alcohol (it kills my focus) but occasionally during the day small doses of espresso
6. When I am feeling unproductive, need a little mind rest or feeling that there is absolutely no way to focus I chill at various forums (like this one :p) or call a friend.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
Persistence succeeds all else.
By knowing this, I remain persistent. Far more than I used to be.

Create a to-do list
Workout 4-6x a week
Eat clean, no junk food
Work on your personal mind
Read
Take a break or day off occasionally.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Let me just say, it wasn't easy. Over the past 4 months since I have been doing my own gig, I struggled incredibly with staying productive. About 2 months in I was near the breaking point, not wanting to get out of bed and the like. I have since gotten VERY organized and set very clear set and obtainable goals which I slowly drudge away at. Now, it is just habit. Wake up excited, work from 8am-12am or later, and then lay in bed for an hour with my mind just racing about what I need to do, what's next, what I need to fix. It may be a struggle at first, but when you hit your stride, you will know it. 16+ hour days will feel like nothing.

Molattee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 9, 2013
Indonesia - Jakarta
I agree about the task lists and goals. Even though I have fully embraced technology and use my iPhone, iPad and laptop, I still use my daily planner religiously. I simply like the idea of writing things down including goals, tasks and random notes and/or ideas. There is something about pen to paper that stimulates the creative process for me.

My planner also doubles as my "Fastlane Success Journal" as I have a tabbed section just for my Fastlane ideas, notes, etc.

However, what I'm finding is that I sometimes fall into a "task list" vs. an "action list" which are process steps towards my goals. Be careful not to fill you day with just tasks. I personally try to focus on three things each day that will move me forward towards my goals. I know that doesn't sound like much, however I read most people tend to over schedule their day causing a sense of non-accomplishment even though they got a lot done. The question I ask is what got done?! Did these actions move me closer to my goal? If yes, great! If not, I need to reprioritize.

I personally agree with you about the embracing technology part of your post. While no matter how flashy or organized an App in iPad, Macbook, or my S4 phone; it will never beat writing down things on paper. Maybe the reason for that it is that there is significantly less chance of forgetting what you're writing down on paper compared to what you're typing on a gadget. Personally speaking I tend to forget the notes I've made on my gadgets no matter how important the notes seem to be.

The second part of your post is maybe what I'm doing wrong - I tend to write down everything that I need to do for the next day, including waking up early (this is a problem because my sleep cycle is reversed), so this leaves me with a list of more than 10 things to do for the next day; unsorted by importance too.

Two jobs and school may be the reason you're having trouble. How much time does that take up per week? You also need to factor in how much those things drain you.

I do have a job that eats up well over 50 hours a week, so I feel your pain. But one of my fastlane goals is to make enough money writing so I can quit in a year, so there's my motivation.

While I don't have two jobs and school - I do have College classes. I'm on my final year of college and I'm involved in currently two business projects in order to gain some income. The first is my long-term project, my website; and the second is my store - which I don't expect to be long term because of my 'motivation' towards my website. Currently I'm on semester break and I don't have classes until the end of September. But what I realize when I have college classes is that I'm drained physically every time I come home. The traffic where I live is horrible.

Sometimes my motivation isn't enough to beat my physical and mental exhaustion - I am stressed most times of my personal life.

write everything down. fear falling into a slowlane trap. desperately want to get out of here. borderline hate myself for wasting time.

if you're feeling unproductive, is there something else you could be doing instead? learning languages, writing html code, build a boat? Ideas happen when you're least likely to expect it.

Hope this helps!

When I'm unproductive usually I'm on my phone most of the time, with the occasional reading here and there. I usually get ideas when I'm hanging out with my girlfriend most of the time - only to forget the next day.

1. I write down a to-do list with THREE tasks for the upcoming day (so last night I wrote down 3 tasks for today)
2. I work on finishing each task first
3. I get up at 5am every day
4. I workout everyday (to clear my mind)
5. I listen to kick-a$$ music
6. I read/watch inspiring clips and books
7. I play like 10-15min of guitar every hour or so

Number 3 is what seems to be a near impossible task for a night owl like me. Sometimes I would force myself to wake up as early as 7AM (I usually wake up near noon or so and sleep around 3AM) but to no avail. I would automatically fall asleep until noon. To this day I'm still working on waking up early.

deevan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
May 22, 2013
SF Bay Area, California
I note that a lot of people, including me, have a "mind-racing" issue. It takes me a while to get unwinded as my mind keeps bringing up issues, problems, things to do. Writing things down helps. In part, this is the Zeignark effect.

One thing that helps me is using Siri (iphone virtual assistant). If something comes up in my mind, I feel "OMG, I need to do this." initially. But I have trained myself to calm down and open the phone - press the Home button on the iPhone to activate Siri and say "Remind me to do XYZ tomorrow at 10AM" or whatever. That way I know I won't forget something. It takes that item off my mind. Also I am starting to sync the iOS reminder to Evernote using IFTTT.

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
I dont know if this method was answered as there are a lot of responsive but this is what I personally do.

1. Get wunderlist its a dream come true.
2. You say you have a to-do list, just be more on top of it on the app/site (wunder)
3. Get a partner, or a friend, or your mom whoever, and tell them what you need to do every day.
4. At the end of the day write a word document with what you did, what you need to do that you didnt finish that day (for the next day) and what your weekly plans are. This may seem like a to do list but write out the stuff in content format rather than bullet proof like wunderlist.

I call my partner Mon-Friday every day, but on Mon and Fri we have a 1hr session at 2 or 3 to discuss what we need to do that week and what we did that week and need to do next week (respectively)

It has helped me so much with organization and being on top of things. Also just push yourself, reward is the best motivation, so when you complete a task just get something that you know you like and when you dont punish yourself. If I fail I do a lot of pushups/chinups and what not. When I succeed I get pinkberry... lol

but yea small things help

brainact

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Dec 28, 2012
Germany
Well, i really like Outlook + OneNote. Much more than wunderlist & Co, because everything is at one place and can easily communicate with each other. Thunderbird + Lightning rocks too, but notes taking is not that comfortable as in office.
But you can abuse the task section for this. Just create a new calendar to put your tasks/notes in different categories ;).

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
3. Get a partner, or a friend, or your mom whoever, and tell them what you need to do every day.
4. At the end of the day write a word document with what you did, what you need to do that you didnt finish that day (for the next day) and what your weekly plans are. This may seem like a to do list but write out the stuff in content format rather than bullet proof like wunderlist.
Very good points!

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
I keep a to do list every single day..

I also keep a calendar to track down deadlines-- very important.

I don't forget to take a breather though.

Let's say I pause for a break every 45 mins I work to refocus and recharge.

It could be a coffee break or light snack or I just stand up walk around for a while.

It helps a lot.

Deadlines are important and so as running a business but taking care of yourself is the most important. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.