The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

HOW DO YOU GET OVER FEARS

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
of uncertainty, failure and so forth

With the fear of regret. When you're on your deathbed, do you want to look back and say, "I wish I would have done this/tried that." (Remember this quote for anything you're afraid to do)

Fight fear with fear.

Stack$

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 1, 2014
With the fear of regret. When you're on your deathbed, do you want to look back and say, "I wish I would have done this/tried that." (Remember this quote for anything you're afraid to do)

Fight fear with fear.
That's how I approach this also

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Fear is the essence of uncertainty. We can not be certain about everything in life, therefore there will always be fear.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

AjiAshirogi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 5, 2014
Fear can come from many things. It can come from having too many options, it can come from past experiences of failure, and (le gasp) it can come from the fear.... of success! Whatever it is, the fact that you acknowledge there is a fear is a nice first-step at eliminating the problem, unlike denying it until it eliminates you. ^^"

To elaborate on the last point (which may also tie into the uncertainty/ambivalence aspect of the fear): it may come from the realization that success isn't some euphoric happily ever after, or the bittersweetness of getting a taste of it while everyone around you talks about it dreamily and somehow falls short. It may seem like such an illusion that you may not know how to define it, and then the definition/realization of success may feel like a madness/isolation of sorts. When that ends up being the case, the fear success can also become a fear of failure realized because then failure seems like a more valid option (and failure is obviously not desirable.)

One of the wham moments for me was realizing that some of the people I have held so dearly won't actually hold my best interests. That the way I may develop my plans and perceptions can potentially isolate me from those I would have originally been able to relate to more intimately.

But it totally beats being constantly burnt out and "comfortable" while the inner mind runs around like a lost child scared of everything.

Finding those mentors/people you can relate to helps, sure. Making a reasonable to-do list that doesn't kill you (while squeezing in some strategic brainstorming/break-times and rewarding yourself) can help with overcoming the lack of action that often causes fear. Honesty is good, constant self-depreciating does nothing helpful. Filter out the negative-toxic feedback from the negative-constructive during moments of failure. But most importantly, achieve flow and output to the point that it becomes more prominent than whatever fears you have.

Uncertainty is solved by thinking, researching, and trying until something fits and becomes more certain. This may yield failure at first. Failure is thus in a way valuable because it narrows down your options by telling you what not to do.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
I cant top whats already been said so far....
...but I like to listen to high energy business/sales guys.

They will basically tell you to push through it and stop being a punk.
Lets be honest...none of us are going to war...our fears are minor in the grand scheme of things.

I like to feed off the adrenaline rush of fear...its almost like a high.

TrendSettersInc

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 26, 2012
Southeast Michigan
I get over my fears by realizing the only fear we as humans truly have is the fear of death, kinda morbid but true. When you think that in the end we all end up in the same position, then you really don't worry too much about failure. Besides the mistakes I've made lead me to the successes I've made.

FEAR= FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Honestly, I believe it's not so much as to "how to 'overcome' fears", but more so, 'how to utilise fear in a manner that it works for you.' Sure, this will take building a discipline about it, but it isn't impossible. Fear, while it has the power [we give it] to break us, it also has the power to make us get up and do something about the very thing we are fearful of. At least that's how it works with me. I was once a seriously fearful individual, I'd be in front of a new task and be so fearful to move towards it, I allowed it to steal unknown opportunities from me.

In my quest of learning, with the help of MJ's book, the forums and learning about others who did exceptionally well, I learnt how to overcoming them. Also, I bask in the truth that exceptional businesses/events aren't about the outcome as far as money goes, but, it is about our input, our problem-solving contributions and the experience we obtain along the way. Life is a journey filled with brilliant experiences regardless of how good, bad or ugly they are, and so are challenges.

Challenges are Solutions in disguise. When we are faced with challenges, we must find solutions to overcome them, even if it means stepping away for a brief moment, from frustration, with the intention of returning to complete the task. The break offers a breath of fresh air and most times a refreshed perspective towards the challenge/solution. You know?!

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I read this in a book somewhere, and it has always stuck with me:

"Feel the fear, and do it anyways."

Whenever I remember that, it helps me push through fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Vodka + Red Bull

Since getting to university and drinking a lot, I can attest to this :D

I now know a coder, a paid traffic guy, 2 starting entrepreneurs and a pretty cool girl, among many others. It is a lot more fun than traditional 'networking.'

OT but these past few weeks I started asking myself:

'When you are drunk, you are under the influence of alcohol. When you are sober, you are under the influence of limiting beliefs. Which is closer to the current "real you" And which is worse?'

(I am not an alcoholic. But if I was, that's what you'd expect me to say, wouldn't you :D )

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
In my experience fear can also be defined as worry and vice versa. So to deal with it I've found Dale Carnegie most helpful. In his book "how to stop worrying and start living" he lays down the exact path to overcoming worry.

1) define the problem aka face it (it's usually not the behemoth you believe it is)
2) Realize the worst possible outcome and accept that it could happen.
3) Figure out what actions you can take against the problem.
4) Take action.

If you can't take action against a problem, which is rare, but occasionally there is nothing you can do, then accept the outcome and plan for what comes after. If the event is literally inevitable then you have nothing to fear because it will happen and you have planned for what comes next, so the event (what you feared) is now part of your plan. And you don't fear your plans, do you?

If you can take action against the problem, then do it. Having a plan of attack is much more empowering than needless and paralyzing fear. So either beat it, or accept it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.