The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can I quit the job?!

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
And you didn't by a beater with a heater. You chose to get a car loan???

I did it because I wanted to build credit, yes, I know it sounds very stupid now, but the car payment itself was and still is well within my budget.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Let's just put it this way, my boss is a guy named Herb Washington who is a former well known athlete who is retired and now owns 27 McDonald's throughout Ohio and Western PA. He's a stingy bastard.

Look him up on Wikipedia or just Google his name. You'll find articles.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Last edited by a moderator:

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Let's just put it this way, my boss is a guy named
These threads are indexed on google, if he googles his name this will show up. I assume your last name is Davis... I dunno what the chances are but I would probably remove what you wrote

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I just got a raise. $9.29 per hour now. 72 cents raise. WOO! Talk about movin' up in the world, eh?
Sad part is, my raise is considered good by the companies method of doing things.

Let's just put it this way, my boss is a guy named Herb Washington who is a former well known athlete who is retired and now owns 27 McDonald's throughout Ohio and Western PA. He's a stingy bastard.

Your wages are directly proportional to the value you provide. The reason you get paid 10 bucks an hour is that in your current role you are not worth more than 10 bucks an hour. It is a reality that you'll have to deal with.

Your boss isn't stingy, he is paying market value.

Last edited:

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
These threads are indexed on google, if he googles his name this will show up. I assume your last name is Davis... I dunno what the chances are but I would probably remove what you wrote
At this point, I really do not care lol, I doubt he would Google his name, although I wouldn't put anything past anyone.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
Your wages are directly proportional to the value you provide. The reason you get paid 10 bucks an hour is that in your current role you are not worth more than 10 bucks an hour. It is a reality that you'll have to deal with.
Yes.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Not only are you full of excuses and in action right now, you keep going off topic as if we care that much. Your expenses are extremely low. Start getting to work, focus and use all of your time as it is do or die.

You want to prove to yourself that you are above being a manager at McDonalds... well i don't believe that right now and i don't think you do either. So it is time to prove that to yourself and stop daydreaming that you are entitled to anything better.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

niftyg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
If I were you and I had NO RENT,

-Sell the car, pay off as much of the loan as you can continue to pay off the rest. Buy yourself a $2000 dollar reliable old car, or a motorcycle. (cheaper insurance and better gas mileage)

-Downgrade to the cheapest cell phone plan you can if you haven't already.

-QUIT. Make money by flipping stuff at garage sales / craigslist. Advertise any skills you have in the classifieds - can you repair computers? easy money. Unlock iPhones and fix screens? Easy money.

Or at least get a better job. But that would probably end in another vicious cycle of never quitting and indulging in your addiction to the pay cheque.

JackWood

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 27, 2014
Not to try to compare situations with you, but just to try to show that it is possible. Im a year younger than you and quit my job out of pure hate for the job and also to open up some more free time for my business. My expenses are at least double yours, because of rent but I managed to figure it out. If you want it bad enough you will figure it out.

Joshyybaxx

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Sep 23, 2012
Sydney, Australia.
I think you're in a learning loop where you run around reading and taking in all this information but do nothing with it, the best way to learn is by volume, doing lots of things, you'll suck really really bad at the start then slowly get better, eventually you'll figure out what is making money and what is costing you money, do more of what makes you money and less of what isn't.

Reading books is great, but it doesn't mean shit if you don't do anything with it.

Heisenberg

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Dec 11, 2013
I want to quit my job and work full time on a Fastlane idea so bad but I have a $280/mo car payment to make

Escape-4.jpg

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
I was thinking about this. While I completely agree with you, it's kind of lame when you are a great employee, never late, never call out, fill in for others when needed, and exceed what is expected of you with the actual work at hand and you can't even make enough to live off of.

In my opinion, if you aren't a complete deadbeat and actually do SOME kind of job for society... you should at least make enough to live off of.

Although, I also realize that the world doesn't care about us. It's up to us to find our way. So I guess that kind of cancels that out, eh?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If you can't make $500 bucks a month as a hustler/business owner you might want to give up now and look for a better job.

You beat me to it. I was going to post the same sentiment. I could make $500 in a single day flipping items off of Craigslist.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I still remember that morning.

I finally got to sleep around 4AM, and woke up at 6AM in a cold sweat. Every single dollar I had went into the company. I didn't have much debt due to the buyout of my company... just $2k per month in car payments. And a mortgage. A wife and two kids.

I bet they wondered how I would respond. A few months earlier, it looks like I might be able to retire before 40. I had it made. All the time spent in the trenches would finally pay off. We had house plans. Vacation plans. Life plans. I could taste it. I spent it 100x in my mind. We literally had house plans for a 9,000 square foot house that the architect had finished.

Then, I woke up in a cold sweat. Less than 24 hours earlier, it all went away. For reasons I am not free to talk about in the open forum, I lost it all. Not the wife, not the kids... but the company.

So I woke up. With my wife, but very much alone. Everything we had planned for... was... gone. The $2k in car payments (insane? depends on your perceived "income")... the house. The kids. Gas. Food. Life. The obligations remained, but the cash was... gone.

I woke up alone with my dreams. Shattered.

I had to start from zero. My monthly nut was close to $10k. I had no job. No income. No savings. Nothing but my rolodex and my mind. And my scars.

It took me a few days. That's all the time I had. It took me a few days to shake off the cobwebs. It took me a few days to put my shoes back on my feet. To breathe. To sit up. To think. Clearly.

To begin.

So... why don't you tell me more about how you can't figure out how, with your parents paying your rent and a car payment that is more like a rounding error... why you can't begin?

You don't even know yet what you don't know. Shake off the fear. You have more in hand than 99% of people who start to learn how to blaze their own path. You don't even know difficulty.

Stop F*cking crying and get on with life, or settle in to a life of flipping burgers to make money for some guy you perceive to be a big roller.

Life is hard. Cut the apron strings and get on with it.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
I finally got to sleep around 4AM, and woke up at 6AM in a cold sweat. Every single dollar I had went into the company. I didn't have much debt due to the buyout of my company... just $2k per month in car payments. And a mortgage. A wife and two kids.
I bet they wondered how I would respond. A few months earlier, it looks like I might be able to retire before 40. I had it made. All the time spent in the trenches would finally pay off. We had house plans. Vacation plans. Life plans. I could taste it. I spent it 100x in my mind. We literally had house plans for a 9,000 square foot house that the architect had finished.
Then, I woke up in a cold sweat. Less than 24 hours earlier, it all went away. For reasons I am not free to talk about in the open forum, I lost it all. Not the wife, not the kids... but the company.
So I woke up. With my wife, but very much alone. Everything we had planned for... was... gone. The $2k in car payments (insane? depends on your perceived "income")... the house. The kids. Gas. Food. Life. The obligations remained, but the cash was... gone.
I had to start from zero. My monthly nut was close to $10k. I had no job. No income. No savings. Nothing but my rolodex and my mind. And my scars.
It took me a few days. That's all the time I had. It took me a few days to shake off the cobwebs. It took me a few days to put my shoes back on my feet. To breathe. To sit up. To think. Clearly.
To begin.
So... why don't you tell me more about how you can't figure out how, with your parents paying your rent and a car payment that is more like a rounding error... why you can't begin?
You don't even know yet what you don't know. Shake off the fear. You have more in hand than 99% of people who start to learn how to blaze their own path. You don't even know difficulty.
Stop F*cking crying and get on with life, or settle in to a life of flipping burgers to make money for some guy you perceive to be a big roller.

Rep xfer

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
You will never quit your job as long as you are dominated by a selfish purpose and a selfish premise.

-I hate my job!
-I need to make money to pay the bills!
-This job is crippling my ego!

All of this talk and not once was consumer problems or solutions mentioned. Where is the value? The market does not give a shit about your hopes and dreams. You can't quit your job unless you provide value in an alternate wealth vehicle. I know this has been repeated over and over but its simple and powerful.

1. Cut expenses as low as you can.
2. Keep fixed costs as low as possible. Get rid of the car. No mortgages. No child support. No nothing. Sacrifice.
3. Provide BETTER solutions. Provide BETTER value. Be an expert in your field and know the market better than anybody else.

There then you can quit your job. Explosive deliverance of value in an alternate and unlimited wealth vehicle is how you quit the job and become a millionaire.

Entrepreneurship is not a playing field to solve your own problems, its a playing field to solve other people's problems.

Last edited:

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

I feel like the aspiring entrepreneurs who "want to make money", but don't necessarily need to, sometimes lack the hustle. Sometimes having nothing actually increases the success someone can have, because they HAVE to hustle to make it.

I know for me, when I didn't have anything at all, I hustled like crazy. I've found it hard at times to hustle as hard over the years because I didn't necessarily HAVE to make money, and making more didn't really change my lifestyle much.

However, @twdavis— if you can't figure out how to make a few hundred dollars/month to quit your job, you have done zero due diligence on anything making money related. I think many people on this forum could do that blindfolded, in a different country where they don't speak english, in a wheelchair, without being allowed to take a shower for the month.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
I dont think you guys understood me, I wasn't whining or asking for any handouts, I just wanted some tips on how to replace that income so that I could spend all of my time committing to a bigger venture. I'm aware that my costs are not that significant, I just wanted some ideas, is all.

I think now I'm gonna go hard as F*ck this year and really sit down and focus all my time and energy, because first of all, I need to discipline myself.

Second of all, I refuse to F*cking have anyone think I'm a weak whinebaby or whatever the impression is that you've gained about me from this thread.

Just wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

To begin.

rep'd

amk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 18, 2014
I just wanted some tips on how to replace that income so that I could spend all of my time committing to a bigger venture.

Here's more than a tip, but an exact idea I use from time to time to generate a few extra bucks. You won't get rich, but it will easily cover your monthly expenses. I can also help you get started if you need. It does take a small initial investment (few hundred dollars?) and a small learning curve (youtube/google for how-to's), but after that it's easy and really simple: Make/sell decals. I have only sold on eBay and have always had success -- once you have your processes automated you'd be surprised how easy an hour a day can generate $1000/month.

Go somewhere like http://www.signwarehouse.com/, order supplies, order the cheapest "decent" vinyl cutter you can get (maybe buy one off eBay? Actually, I have one to sell for cheap -- I'm in Minneapolis if you're near). Find vector graphic art CD's (buy off eBay, again) and make/sell decals. You make them to order so you're never wasting any vinyl. Things like peace signs, etc., are free of any copyright/trademark and people pay $5/each all day. You'll make around $2-3 off that. It's so easy to list a huge batch and cut a huge batch of them, you can easily sell 10-20 a day (find 10-20 different "regular" sellers, like the peace sign I was pointing out). You can easily research others auctions to see what people are buying, too.

Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.