The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hours of sleep?

Vhwin

Hungry Newbie
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Oct 20, 2011
Australia
I average between 6 to 8 hrs a day to feel productive, I dont smoke nor drink caffeine and am fairly active on my feet during the day.

I know some people that average 2 to 3 hrs a day then essentially pass out for an entire day with heavy caffeine use.

Has anyone had success getting less hours of sleep a day while still being productive? If so, how do you go about it?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
A couple of years ago I felt like I needed at least 6 to 8 hours

Now at age 30 I average about 5 hrs max and don't feel tired

Vhwin

Hungry Newbie
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Oct 20, 2011
Australia
Thats pretty amazing! Whats the quality of sleep like? Do you feel refreshed when waking up? Do you smoke or drink coffee?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I spend way too much time in bed (like 9-13 hours). Mostly because it takes me a long time to get to sleep and it takes me a long time to wake up. People say it's a discipline problem, but I'm tired no matter what I do. I wake up with back pain and aches all the time. Part of it is my anxiety keeping me up at night, and when it's time for me to get up it's hard for me to get out of bed because of the pain.

I want to fix it, but whenever I get less than 9-13 hours of sleep I'm always really tired; tired from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
Thats pretty amazing! Whats the quality of sleep like? Do you feel refreshed when waking up? Do you smoke or drink coffee?

Sometimes the sleep isn't the highest quality because my 2.5 year old son manages to creep into our bed in the middle of the night on a regular basis.

I do not smoke and I do not drink coffee

I always feel motivated to get up because there is always something to do

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If I could sleep ZERO I would. I dislike sleep as my productivity drops. :) Donald Trump sleeps around 4 hours per night (and he has GREAT hair, so...)

Sleep is overrated. Plus, Asia is awake while America sleeps.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
I get around 6 most nights. Go to bed at 11, read for an hour, and wake up at 5:59.

Changing to a primal diet (paleo) and working out has dramatically increased my energy/happiness.

also check out sleepyti.me bedtime calculator to figure out optimal schedules

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I'm trying to figure this out for myself. I'm slowly weening myself off Caffeine so I can figure out how much sleep I actually need. Most days I go to bed around 12:00-1:00 and wake up at 7:30-8:00...so 6.5-8 hours for me. I'd like to be able to feel rested and alert on less sleep.

My uncle probably sleeps 3-5 hours a night and he says he never feels tired.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Right now I sleep 9-10 hours a day, and I'm still exhausted when I wake up. But, I'm also getting up numerous times every night to feed my son.

I'm thinking of experimenting a little more, going to sleep later and waking up earlier and adding a nap at around 2 or 3 to combat drowsiness. I feel like I'd be more productive, at least.

In college I survived very well on 6 hours of sleep or so. My hope is to get back to that as my son gets older.

*/Sent on my iPhone via Tapatalk, please excuse any mistakes./*

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
anywhere from 5 to 10hrs.
Sleep is really important for your health.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
If I could sleep ZERO I would.

I hate sleep as well! Hated sleep when I was young, and still hate it to this day.

Personally, I get between 3-5 hours of sleep per night. First 10 minutes of waking up is always tough, but then I'm fine throughout the rest of the day. I'm pretty active as well (other than when I'm in work).

I think my diet has something to do with me never being tired - I eat 1.5-2.5 cups of dry oats (like the stuff in oatmeal) per day. That seems to keep my energy levels up. I spread my oat intake throughout different parts of the day - so I don't overload on carbs in one sitting. I also stay extremely hydrated and I eat a lot of protein rich foods.

Oats def. seem to the the secret to staying awake, and some coffee in the morning for a jolt.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I average between 6 to 8 hrs a day to feel productive, I dont smoke nor drink caffeine and am fairly active on my feet during the day.

I know some people that average 2 to 3 hrs a day then essentially pass out for an entire day with heavy caffeine use.

Has anyone had success getting less hours of sleep a day while still being productive? If so, how do you go about it?

You can get by with just a couple hours of sleep, but not how you are thinking you should.

The sweet spot for sleep is 8 hours, any more or any less is not ideal. You can however "hack" sleep while it is still not as healthy as a full 8 hours. 1. (If you only need to sleep less for a couple of weeks) You can use a polyphasic sleep cycle, but will eventually need to fall back to a full 8 hour sleep after that several week period. For instructions buy the 4 hour body by Tim Ferriss: Polyphasic sleep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or you can use the bulletproof executives method for polyphasic(ish) type sleep: » Step 5: Improve Your Sleep The Bulletproof Executive I suggest this method over Tim's because it is more realistic to everyday life.

Both are a pain in the a$$, both will cost you some money, and both are not entirely healthy. You can't effectively loose weight or gain muscle while on these cycles, but you can gain weight and will loose muscle. Your T levels will drop unless you are naturally keeping/boosting them at a certain level.

Truth be told, instead of decreasing sleep, just maximize your time not spent sleeping, don't waste the 16 hours you have awake and you should be able to get almost everything you wanted done while still maintaining a healthy lifestyle and mental state.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Wealth without health is worthless. sleep at least 6 hours a night. I get about 6-8 hours a night, any less than that I fee tired. Also if you work out, you will need your rest. I work out 4 times a week so rest is very important. Don't get into that guru sleep 2 hours BS. Load of garbage. 4 hour work week, 4 hour body, blahblah, give me a fcking break.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Go to bed between 12 and 1 and Wake up between 7-8. I really average close to 7.

St.Alpine

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 6, 2012
Germany
I am on 8 hours a day. When I've missed some hours, I need to add time to the next night, otherwise I'll feel tired.

I noticed, that when I am pumped up and have built up momentum, I can get by with much less sleep.
But over time, I think this will harm your body.

I feel much clearer and more enthusiastic, when I got enough sleep.

An idea about watching TV before going to bed: it helps falling asleep for sure, but your head has a lot of garbage to go through at night, because of the TV, so I would cancel it. I feel not that fresh instantly in the morning, when I've watched exessive TV before.

There's a lot of energy and productivity to scoop from a healthy body, in our information society.

JaySoriano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 10, 2012

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I spend way too much time in bed (like 9-13 hours). Mostly because it takes me a long time to get to sleep and it takes me a long time to wake up. People say it's a discipline problem, but I'm tired no matter what I do. I wake up with back pain and aches all the time. Part of it is my anxiety keeping me up at night, and when it's time for me to get up it's hard for me to get out of bed because of the pain.

I want to fix it, but whenever I get less than 9-13 hours of sleep I'm always really tired; tired from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed.

Do you have to get up at a certain time to go to work or school?

Tony222

Banned
Aug 15, 2012
My average is also 6-7 hours a day and I feel better if sleep more. A young healthy person needs 6-8 hours of daily sleep to be ready for the next day work routine. But if you think that by using high caffeine you can manage to sleep less hours, its not always healthy. Overuse of caffeine can be dangerous for your body muscles.

Cary Fitness

verial

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 8, 2012
Taipei
How much sleep you need arises from your genetic conditions. Some people are "cursed" with a brain that requests 8+ hours sleep per night to feel rested. Others only need 3 hours of sleep.

As far as I know, no studies have investigated the long-term health statuses of these types of people.

The manic, hypomanic and bipolar can shift how much sleep they need, usually requiring very little.

The general rule is to sleep until you feel rested, however much that may be.

Naps can also be useful. Napping every six hours will allow you to learn more quickly, for example.

Any questions?

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I am incredibly tired every morning when I wake up and never tired at night when I go to bed. I usually go to bed, try to fall asleep for 2-4 hours, finally fall asleep and wake up tired as hell.

The general rule is to sleep until you feel rested, however much that may be.

If I did this, I would sleep 14 hours a day.

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
Everybody's different. I need at least 9,5 hours and have to go to sleep before 11pm or I am very groggy and tired the next day. It's just how my body responds. Obviously, I don't do it often enough which is not good for my health as I am a bit of a night owl, I am changing this recently, though and have felt a lot better...

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I need a minimum of 6.5 hours to be productive. Usually get 7 hours. Anymore than that and it's seems to be counter productive.

I am incredibly tired every morning when I wake up

I used to struggle with this as well and I would have to take a nap mid day. I changed the way I eat (more healthy) and started taking supplements and now I very rarely feel the need to take a nap.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I am incredibly tired every morning when I wake up and never tired at night when I go to bed. I usually go to bed, try to fall asleep for 2-4 hours, finally fall asleep and wake up tired as hell.

Low blood sugar, I use the 4HB solution which works really well (for me at least), before you go to bed, eat 2 sticks of celery with 2-3 heaping tablespoons of almond butter on them, the mornings when I forget to eat my snack are horrible haha

If I have some motivation, I can sleep an hour or not at all and still stay productive over a couple of days, but I prefer to get 8 hours almost to the minute to feel the most rested and ready to go the next morning, not to mention sleep deprivation plays havoc with hormone and muscle gain, not something I want haha

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I used to struggle with this as well and I would have to take a nap mid day. I changed the way I eat (more healthy) and started taking supplements and now I very rarely feel the need to take a nap.

I eat healthier than normal, but I guess there's always room for improvement. What kind of supplements do you take?

Low blood sugar, I use the 4HB solution which works really well (for me at least), before you go to bed, eat 2 sticks of celery with 2-3 heaping tablespoons of almond butter on them, the mornings when I forget to eat my snack are horrible haha

I downloaded and read the 4-5 chapters on weight loss about two months ago. I saw the celery advice on your app (downloaded it last night). What about celery and almond butter helps?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I eat healthier than normal, but I guess there's always room for improvement. What kind of supplements do you take?

The beginning of this year I started the Diet Free for Life program by Robert Ferguson. I've lost 30 pounds to date but have leveled off because I've slacked off exercising. I still have at least 40 pounds to go. He has a supplement called Diet Free Daily. It helps increase energy, boost metabolism, improve immune function and stabilize glucose levels. I've tried losing weight a number of ways and this has been the best for me so far.

Also, I used to have real bad heartburn. All that went away when I started eating the way Robert lays it out.

Here the site for more info (not affiliated in any way):
Robert Ferguson's Diet Free Life

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I downloaded and read the 4-5 chapters on weight loss about two months ago. I saw the celery advice on your app (downloaded it last night). What about celery and almond butter helps?

This low-glycemic index food can prevent blood sugar spikes so you can sleep better. In fact, according to Ferriss, correcting your blood sugar level can actually make you feel as if you’re doubling up on the sleep you’re actually getting – 4 hours can feel like 8, 6 like 12, etc." Tim Ferriss' Jumpstart: Supercharge and Reshape Your Body | Page 2 | The Dr. Oz Show

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
This low-glycemic index food can prevent blood sugar spikes so you can sleep better. In fact, according to Ferriss, correcting your blood sugar level can actually make you feel as if you’re doubling up on the sleep you’re actually getting – 4 hours can feel like 8, 6 like 12, etc." Tim Ferriss' Jumpstart: Supercharge and Reshape Your Body | Page 2 | The Dr. Oz Show

Everything that I've tried as a result of listening to Tim Ferriss has worked. I'll try the almond butter and see how it works. Thanks for the link!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.