The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello.

val4

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 11, 2024
I'm 27 and live in France. Through the years, I've been slowly recovering from depression and social anxiety. I'm doing much better now though am still quite isolated. I do decent amounts of physical exercise now and it helps emotionally. From an early age, I've heavily disliked authority, so creating a business has long appealed to me. (Notably, I'm interested by agorism and Sylvain Poirier's infoliberalism, but let's not discuss politics here since that is against forum rules.)

I never created a business, but burned out anyway around age 18 (from striving to become autonomous from my parents) and resigned to getting through college. I've spent a lot of time trying to learn financial trading and investing, and lost a few thousand bucks doing so. I like computer programming and wanted to become a computer programmer. I love making music but it seems too risky to focus on it for a living, I don't expect to make money that way. I write private articles, mostly musing about psychology, philosophy, spirituality. I've dabbled in fiction and drawing, including comics. Not being sure what to do with my life, I've majored in math, thinking math is general enough to avoid overly restricting my career possibilities.

I'm now in the last few months of a pure math PhD program and have saved decent amounts from various scholarships through fairly frugal living (I don't have a car, and I overindulge in accounting using the hledger software). So I've got a decent emergency fund. Regarding what's next, I recently meant to get into a 2-year apprenticeship to become an AI engineer. I am changing my mind because I'm halfway through The Millionaire Fastlane and love the book (despite the occasional confusing mistranslation in French, my native tongue). The book has breathed new life in me and inspired me to aim for genuine freedom. I am very grateful for that.

So I let go recently of Netflix and video games. I now spend most of my free time trying to learn about business and passive income, by reading books, the web, and on YouTube. Hopefully I won't burn out again. I'd like to create a business, which may be premature since I'm not done reading MJ's books. I first wanted to make an offshore business, to become a digital nomad, out of fear of the EU turning into North Korea, but then learned that an offshore business is a good way to get into fiscal trouble. So now I'm trying to learn to get through the paperwork to create a business in France, although I don't yet know what kind of business it will be. It's to try my hand at business and hopefully develop some passive income streams to further enable me to invest time and money into the fastlane. I'm thinking of print-on-demand dropshipping, or TikTok content / affiliation, or freelancing as a no-code maker (laugh if you want, I'm a newbie).

Based on the book Conquer the Crash by Robert R. Prechter, I expect a brutal recession to start soon enough, so that now would be a terrible time to start a business, and so that the bottom of the recession in a few years would be an amazing time to start a business.

I'm confused about forum rules forbidding partnership requests, since partnerships have developed there anyway.

Of course, I welcome any help learning English and reaching financial freedom.
Everyone, may you reach your dreams!

@MJ DeMarco and everyone

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

lifemaker

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Oct 26, 2023
I'm 27 and live in France. Through the years, I've been slowly recovering from depression and social anxiety. I'm doing much better now though am still quite isolated. I do decent amounts of physical exercise now and it helps emotionally. From an early age, I've heavily disliked authority, so creating a business has long appealed to me. (Notably, I'm interested by agorism and Sylvain Poirier's infoliberalism, but let's not discuss politics here since that is against forum rules.)

I never created a business, but burned out anyway around age 18 (from striving to become autonomous from my parents) and resigned to getting through college. I've spent a lot of time trying to learn financial trading and investing, and lost a few thousand bucks doing so. I like computer programming and wanted to become a computer programmer. I love making music but it seems too risky to focus on it for a living, I don't expect to make money that way. I write private articles, mostly musing about psychology, philosophy, spirituality. I dabbled in fiction and drawing, including comics. Not being sure what to do with my life, I've majored in math, thinking math is general enough to avoid overly restricting my career possibilities.

I'm now in the last few months of a pure math PhD program and have saved decent amounts from various scholarships through fairly frugal living (I don't have a car, and I overindulge in accounting using the hledger software). So I've got a decent emergency fund (enough to survive for about 2 years without income). Regarding what's next, I recently meant to get into an apprenticeship to become an AI engineer. But I'm at chapter 26 of The Millionaire Fastlane and love the book (despite the occasional confusing mistranslation in French, my native tongue). The book has breathed new life in me and inspired me to aim for genuine freedom. I am very grateful for that.

So I let go recently of Netflix and video games. I now spend most of my free time trying to learn about business and passive income, by reading books, the web, and on YouTube. Hopefully I won't burn out again. I'd like to create a business, which may be premature since I'm not done reading MJ's books. I first wanted to make an offshore business, to become a digital nomad, out of fear of the EU turning into North Korea, but then learned that an offshore business is a good way to get into fiscal trouble. So now I'm trying to learn to get through the paperwork to create a business in France, although I don't yet know what kind of business it will be. It's to try my hand at business and hopefully develop some passive income streams to further enable me to invest time and money into the fastlane. I'm thinking of print-on-demand dropshipping, or TikTok content / affiliation, or freelancing as a no-code maker (laugh if you want, I'm a newbie).

Based on the book Conquer the Crash by Robert R. Prechter, I expect a brutal recession to start soon, so that now would be a terrible time to start a business, and so that the bottom of the recession in a few years would be an amazing time to start a business.

I'm confused about forum rules forbidding partnership requests, since partnerships have developed there anyway.

Of course, I welcome any help learning English and reaching financial freedom.
Everyone, may you reach your dreams.

@MJ DeMarco and everyone
Firstly, welcome, it's nice to know The Millionaire Fastlane breathed new life in you.

Secondly, great job using the time from dropping the things which only give you pleasure.
From my own experience I dropped ALL possible sources of dopamine, including games, any social media and sugar 6 months ago. Didn't achieve any result at all, as used up all time in mind-jerking. Don't make my mistake.
Continue learning, you are moving in a positive direction. Also suggest you to read Unscripted , because it will be beneficial for your mindset.

Third, remember, passive income is anything but passive. Creating a system is a good idea, use instruments you find suitable but remember the Commandment of Entry and think: "Am I ready to sacrifice lots to be exceptionally good in my field or would I prefer to be good enough in a field with a wide moat?".

Forth, your thoughts are very well structured.
Your English is also clear. Well done!
No idea about rules though, better ask support.

(please try to give little updates here time to time, as it can help you track your progress and can encourage other aspiring souls as you to move forwards ;) )
Good probability by your journey!

val4

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 11, 2024
Firstly, welcome, it's nice to know The Millionaire Fastlane breathed new life in you.

Secondly, great job using the time from dropping the things which only give you pleasure.
From my own experience I dropped ALL possible sources of dopamine, including games, any social media and sugar 6 months ago. Didn't achieve any result at all, as used up all time in mind-jerking. Don't make my mistake.
Continue learning, you are moving in a positive direction. Also suggest you to read Unscripted , because it will be beneficial for your mindset.

Third, remember, passive income is anything but passive. Creating a system is a good idea, use instruments you find suitable but remember the Commandment of Entry and think: "Am I ready to sacrifice lots to be exceptionally good in my field or would I prefer to be good enough in a field with a wide moat?".

Forth, your thoughts are very well structured.
Your English is also clear. Well done!
No idea about rules though, better ask support.

(please try to give little updates here time to time, as it can help you track your progress and can encourage other aspiring souls as you to move forwards ;) )
Good probability by your journey!
Thank you for the kind words! It is nice to feel supported.

marble

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Apr 11, 2023
I recently meant to get into a 2-year apprenticeship to become an AI engineer. I am changing my mind because I'm halfway through The Millionaire Fastlane
I like what I'm seeing for the most part, but this part I don't understand. In the US, getting a PhD is 8 years minimum, but usually longer, I assume it's similar in France. You've spent all this time, and now are on the brink of getting a great job in a very very booming industry, and you are throwing it away for dropshipping, or TikTok.. ?

The AI industry is properly booming right now, and this is just the beginning. It is a treasure trove for a potential entrepreneur, and you managed to secure a spot to get your foot in the door.

If I were you, I would take the AI engineer apprenticeship and keep my eyes peeled for problems that need solving. Hell, the company you even work for could be doing a poor job that you could improve at. Meet new people (future employees), make contacts (future partners and customers), find out the pain points, and solve them. Domain experience is very useful, let alone in an industry like AI.

My 2c.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

val4

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 11, 2024
I like what I'm seeing for the most part, but this part I don't understand. In the US, getting a PhD is 8 years minimum, but usually longer, I assume it's similar in France. You've spent all this time, and now are on the brink of getting a great job in a very very booming industry, and you are throwing it away for dropshipping, or TikTok.. ?

The AI industry is properly booming right now, and this is just the beginning. It is a treasure trove for a potential entrepreneur, and you managed to secure a spot to get your foot in the door.

If I were you, I would take the AI engineer apprenticeship and keep my eyes peeled for problems that need solving. Hell, the company you even work for could be doing a poor job that you could improve at. Meet new people (future employees), make contacts (future partners and customers), find out the pain points, and solve them. Domain experience is very useful, let alone in an industry like AI.

My 2c.
Thank you! Your 2 cents may turn into much more! I'm glad you told me. I've yet to find an employer for the apprenticeship, but a job interview with a startup is planned.

As for why I briefly considered "throwing it away":
  • I fear AI will soon be (or is already) capable of replacing AI engineers
  • my suggested projects are meant to provide me with the time and money to allow me to later focus on a more sensible project
  • I am under the probably misguided impression that with these suggested projects, I could make as much money as an AI engineer if not more, and with much more free time
  • I just got to the part of The Millionaire Fastlane saying that "If you quit your job to engage in a Fastlane business, it's an intelligent risk.". (I still meant to complete my PhD first, I am not that insane.)
  • I am just now learning about the Fastlane commandments.
(8 years past is the standard minimum for a PhD in France as well. I'm at my 10th year, because my first year program was too intensive for me, and I spent an extra year getting half a master's degree in applied math, before changing my mind and getting another master's degree in pure math.)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...